2016 Avalon Limited Rough Ride

Wade Garrett

Jul 6, 2020, 3:48:11 PM7/6/20
Love most everything about my 2016 Avalon Limited except the rough ride.
You can feel most every bump, crack and sewer/manhole cover on the road.

I know Toyota gave this trim model a "sportier" suspension with
225/18/45 skinny tires on 18 inch wheels- rather than the fatter
215/17/55 on 17 inch wheels on the lower trim models.

It's getting to be tire time and I wonder if it might be worth trying a
tire/wheel package in the smaller size.

Would the taller 55 sidewalls absorb road bumps better? Any problems
with transmission shift points, speedo readings, any of the electronic
stuff, etc.?

--
Teacher: Why are you late?
Student: Class started before I got here...

Elmo P. Shagnasty

Jul 9, 2020, 8:07:47 AM7/9/20
On 2020-07-06 19:48:06 +0000, Wade Garrett said:

> Love most everything about my 2016 Avalon Limited except the rough
> ride. You can feel most every bump, crack and sewer/manhole cover on
> the road.
>
> I know Toyota gave this trim model a "sportier" suspension with
> 225/18/45 skinny tires on 18 inch wheels- rather than the fatter
> 215/17/55 on 17 inch wheels on the lower trim models.
>
> It's getting to be tire time and I wonder if it might be worth trying a
> tire/wheel package in the smaller size.
>
> Would the taller 55 sidewalls absorb road bumps better? Any problems
> with transmission shift points, speedo readings, any of the electronic
> stuff, etc.?

No problem.

Discount Tire can help:

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator

So, there's a little difference. In moving from 225/45R18 to 215/55R17
setup, your speedometer would be showing just a bare tad slow. (One
wonders if the dealer could code your system for the new tire size, to
give correct speedometer/odometer readings.)

But yes, the taller sidewalls will be better for absorbing bumps and
the like. You'll also be less likely to rub the wheels on the curb,
with a little more sidewall.