Toyota 06' Highlander power window lift arm pops out of track ?

robb

Apr 2, 2011, 3:14:28 PM4/2/11
Left rear door, power window, suddenly stops going up and down.
Power window motor runs the lift arm moves up and down. The glass can
be slid manually up and down. But no auto-power window lifting.

I pulled the trim and the lift arm has a square piece of plastic that
slips into metal channel at bottom of the glass. The lift arm had
popped out. I was able to slip the lift arm into the track from the
end of the metal channel. The channel appears to have a special
flared end that makes slipping the lift arm in easy when you get it
into the proper position.

**BUT** lift arm pops back out within 3 up/down window cycles ?

Can not figure out what happen / Why ... The arm seems straight there
have been no wrecks or damage to the door. The lift motor mechanism
does not appear to have any adjustments. Nothing appears to have
broken or bent anywhere ?

Any ideas about what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

robb

P.S. apologies for cross post on a non-toyo site. The toyo sites have
very little traffic and most of it is religio-phobic-ranting.

Hachiroku ハチロク

Apr 3, 2011, 4:30:41 AM4/3/11

Hey! I resemble that!

Actually, I'm not religious, or phobic. However, I would take a look at
the alignment of the arm. It could be something got wedged in there and
caused the original problem, and then knocked stuff out of alignment.
Also, what's the condition of the plastic? Is it frayed or scored somehow?
Rough edges, like something snapped off? A threaded hole where s screw
fell out?

Pictures would help...or Ray O...

robb

Apr 3, 2011, 12:22:28 PM4/3/11
"Hachiroku ハチロク" wrote in message

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 15:14:28 -0400, robb wrote:

>> Left rear door, power window, suddenly stops going up and down.
>> Power
>> window motor runs the lift arm moves up and down. The glass can be
>> slid
>> manually up and down. But no auto-power window lifting.
>>
>> I pulled the trim and the lift arm has a square piece of plastic
>> that
>> slips into metal channel at bottom of the glass. The lift arm had
>> popped
>> out. I was able to slip the lift arm into the track from the end of
>> the
>> metal channel. The channel appears to have a special flared end
>> that
>> makes slipping the lift arm in easy when you get it into the
>> proper
>> position.
>>
>> **BUT** lift arm pops back out within 3 up/down window cycles ?

> [trim]

> Hey! I resemble that!
>
> Actually, I'm not religious, or phobic. However, I would take a look
> at
> the alignment of the arm. It could be something got wedged in there
> and
> caused the original problem, and then knocked stuff out of
> alignment.
> Also, what's the condition of the plastic? Is it frayed or scored
> somehow?
> Rough edges, like something snapped off? A threaded hole where s
> screw
> fell out?
>
> Pictures would help...or Ray O...

Thanks,
for the useful and helpful reply.
I examined all the components involved very carefully and they did not
appear to be any damage, wear, cracks, deformation etc...

obviously i am missing something because it still has the problem BUT
i can not get it to reproduce the track hopping consistently. Just
running it up and down does not seem to hop it out it depends on an
up and down cycle at the right moment. Whicj i have not reproduced
yet.

thanks again,
robb

Ray O

Apr 3, 2011, 2:00:40 PM4/3/11

"robb" <so...@where.on.net> wrote in message

robb

****
Robb,
Try spraying silicone lubricant in the side tracks of the window. Do not
use WD-40 or other lubricant as it may soften the rubber gaskets.

You can use aerosol lithium grease on the regulator where the arms cross.

Make sure that the motor is anchored properly and not shifting.

--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

robb

Apr 9, 2011, 10:47:32 PM4/9/11
"Ray O" wrote in message news:inadc2$gd9$1...@dont-email.me...

[trimmed - recap ]

> > "robb" <so...@where.on.net> wrote in message
> >

> > Left rear door, power window, Power window regulator/lift arm
> > had popped out. **BUT** lift arm pops back out within 3 up/down
> > window cycles ?
> >

> ****
> Robb,
> Try spraying silicone lubricant in the side tracks of the window.
> Do not use WD-40 or other lubricant as it may soften the rubber
> gaskets

> You can use aerosol lithium grease on the regulator where the arms
> cross.
> Make sure that the motor is anchored properly and not shifting.
> --
> Ray O

Thanks Ray O,
For the reply and help.

I found the problem for any who own these vehicles.

Problem:
------------
The rear door window lift brackets on the highlander (others?) is
pretty marginal design.

There is a 12 inch metal "lift bracket" that slides onto the bottom of
the rear door glass. It is wedged onto the edge of glass over a piece
rubber channel.

Well "wedged" and "slipped over" should give all the hint that is
needed.

Upon inspection i noticed that the metal "lift bracket" had shifted
(slipped) backwards along the edge of the glass about 1.5 - 2 inches.
This is enough of a shift that the regulator lift arm will just barely
slip out of the end of this "lift bracket" when the window glass is
about half way down and therefore disengage the regulator lift arm
from the glass.

Solution :
------------
Remove the glass from the door and slip the bracket back into the
proper position.
Additionally, possibly, strategically apply some sort of silicone
adhesive to slow or stop the bracket from slipping in the future.

hth others

robb

Dennis

Apr 9, 2011, 11:45:30 PM4/9/11

"robb" <so...@where.on.net> wrote in message

[trimmed - recap ]

hth others

robb

=====================

Perhaps some of that black Sika, Sikaflex 291 adhesive would be good -
flexible, waterproof and very strong. Most hardware stores carry it.

http://www.sika.ie/ie-tds-Sikaflex_291.PDF

Ray O

Apr 11, 2011, 12:38:34 AM4/11/11

"robb" <so...@where.on.net> wrote in message

[trimmed - recap ]

hth others

robb

**********
I wouldn't glue the glass in place or it will be a bear to replace if the
glass is ever broken. Get a piece of an old inner tube to use a shim to
grip the glass.

Ironically, I just worked on the regulator for a friend's Blazer this
weekend.

mtoyo

Mar 22, 2016, 9:18:01 AM3/22/16
replying to Ray O, mtoyo wrote:
I know this was a long time ago. But what is the position on the glass that it
needs to be in. I have this same issue with my 04.

--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/toyota_trucks/toyota-06-highlander-power-window-lift-arm-pops-out-of-trac-16535-.htm

Pat Litke

Mar 24, 2016, 8:18:00 PM3/24/16
replying to robb, Pat Litke wrote:
Same thing happened to me several times now. I saw some smears on the glass
at end of the track that is attached to the glass. Here is what I believe is
happening. The track is installed over a rubber gasket that is wrapped around
the bottom edge of the glass. The rubber gasket (along with the steel track)
is sliding towards the rear thus the lift arm has less track to follow forward
and slips out. This sliding back was evidenced by the scuff marks on the
glass directly forward of the rubber gasket and steel track. This last time I
attempoted to prevent if from ever moving again by marking where the track
should go, pulled of the steel track and rubber gasket then put glue inside
the gasket on both sides, reinstalled the gasket, put glue on both sides of
the steel track and reinstalled the track. Be aware of how fast the glue sets
and get the gasket and track back on before it sets. I had very tough time
getting the track back on over the gasket. I had to use bar clamps and
slowly, incrementally tightening them - all the time I was afraid I would
shatter the glass. Let me know if you need to know how to get the window out
of the door.

--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/toyota/toyota-06-highlander-power-window-lift-arm-pops-out-of-trac-211490-.htm

mike

Oct 30, 2016, 10:18:02 PM10/30/16
replying to Pat Litke, mike wrote:
Working on the same problem. How did you get the glass out of the door? Pics?

--
for full context, visit http://www.motorsforum.com/toyota/re-toyota-06-highlander-power-window-lift-arm-pops-out-of-244810-.htm

Brian

Dec 27, 2016, 8:18:02 AM12/27/16
replying to Pat Litke, Brian wrote:
I have the window problem on my 2006 highlander, the rear passenger window
came off the track , I put it back on track. But when I roll it almost to the
top ( 4'' to close completely) it stopped , even I used my hand to give it a
push, but it did not move.
I don't know if the track was in the right position or the regulator got
weaken after 10 years. Should I replace the window regulator motor or the
whole regulator set?

g26m

Feb 11, 2017, 10:18:10 PM2/11/17
replying to Pat Litke, g26m wrote:
how do u get window out. when i took my door panel off, the track/rubber
gasket was lying at the bottom of the door. only way i figure i can get it
back on bottom of window is sliding the track onto bottom of window from one
side but can't figure how to get window out of door.

Gary B

May 22, 2017, 4:18:08 PM5/22/17
replying to Pat Litke, Gary B wrote:
I had same issue. Window slid in its bracket towards rear of vehicle enabling
lift arm to slip out of its track. With 2x4 and hammer on metal track was able
to put it back to original position (was about 1.5 inches out of place). So
far so good. I do not know how it had slid 1.5 inches in the first place so Im
sure it could/will happen again.