Turning off traction control - Two different Highlanders

Joe "Dufu"

Feb 7, 2014, 7:54:16 AM2/7/14
I have a 2004 and 2009 Toyota Highlander and live in farmland. We
often have snow covered fields where some portions are grassy and
others are 12" or more of snow. During warmer times, we have mud.
Lots of it.

Any normal 4WD or even some 2WD vehicles have no problem going across
the drifts as their engine continues sending power to the wheels.
However, both Highlanders shut down all power to the wheels if I
approach the necessary speed and make a go of it. This causes the
vehicle to essentially coast to a stop in the middle of the drift and
I look like a fool needing to be pulled out by neighbors.

Is there any way to turn off the VSC and/or traction control on either
of these vehicles so I can go and fetch my small utility trailer from
the barn without asking a neighbor to do it for me?

I have brand new, aggressive tires and a desire to use my vehicles as
I need them... But I haven't found a solution for this yet.

Thank you for any help you can offer...

Model: Highlander

Year: 2004 & 2009

What have I tried so far?: A few different ideas ranging from riding
with the brake slightly depressed to fool the system into thinking I'm
on the brake. Pulling the fuse for the traction control set-up causes
it to drop into "limp home mode" I've heard so I've not yet tried
that. Then there was a sequence described to me as follows which DID
NOT work, but was entertaining to read and try last night:

1) Turn the Key from Off to ON/RUN (without starting the car)

You now have exactly 1 minute to execute the following (lots of
time):

NOTE: Hold your brake peddle down throughout this procedure

(this allows you to shift from P to N)

2) Fully press the Accelerator Peddle TWICE (2 times) in P(ark)

3) Fully press the Accelerator Peddle TWICE (2 times) in N(neutral)

4) Fully press the Accelerator Peddle TWICE (2 times) in P(ark)

5) With the brake peddle still pressed, Start the car.

Your car will now display that you are in FWD Maintenance Mode and
your TRAC / VSC will be disabled until the next time you start the
car.

--
Until you wake up, I will fight for you...

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://www.Drill-HQ.com/?page_id=226
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

sea...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2017, 4:32:14 PM12/9/17
I'm having this same problem but it seems nobody has solved it after 4 years :/

erikra...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2017, 7:45:13 PM12/29/17
It worked now when I restart the car the trac/vsc is still off and can’t get it back on got any thoughts I know this post was made years ago but figured this would be the best place to ask.

brians...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2018, 11:46:58 AM2/16/18
I have pulled fuses from under the hood for both the traction control and VSC, you have to pull two of them to make it work. This also disables your abs, I've only done it temporarily, for normal driving I keep the fuses in, I have had no negative or ill effects from this procedure, I have full control over throttle and braking with no intervention whatsoever.

I have a 2004 Toyota Highlander, on page 402 of my owner's manual there is a fuse diagram for the under hood fuse box, fuse is number 50 and 51 control the ABS and stability control, you have to remove both in order to disable the system completely. When is a 30 amp and one is a 50 amp so make sure you get them marked and back in the right place if you plan to replace them.

Shinnokxz

Mar 11, 2018, 3:05:20 AM3/11/18
On Friday, February 16, 2018 at 9:46:58 AM UTC-7, brians...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have pulled fuses from under the hood for both the traction control and VSC, you have to pull two of them to make it work. This also disables your abs, I've only done it temporarily, for normal driving I keep the fuses in, I have had no negative or ill effects from this procedure, I have full control over throttle and braking with no intervention whatsoever.
>
> I have a 2004 Toyota Highlander, on page 402 of my owner's manual there is a fuse diagram for the under hood fuse box, fuse is number 50 and 51 control the ABS and stability control, you have to remove both in order to disable the system completely. When is a 30 amp and one is a 50 amp so make sure you get them marked and back in the right place if you plan to replace them.

nerd

brent...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2018, 7:17:44 PM12/6/18
There are no vsc fuses on my 07 highlander any idea what to pull?

rmcmon...@gmail.com

May 19, 2020, 10:04:48 PM5/19/20
On Thursday, December 6, 2018 at 4:17:44 PM UTC-8, brent...@gmail.com wrote:
> There are no vsc fuses on my 07 highlander any idea what to pull?

Seems that pulling the ABS 1 and 2 fuses disables traction control. I have yet to try it out.