97 Camry rear bumper removal help

Vijay S. Bajwa

Oct 8, 2003, 9:29:46 PM10/8/03
Backed into a telephone pole, squished the corner.
New bumper is quite cheap, if only I knew how
to take it off. Ofcourse, then there's the painting
and clear coat. Any pointers in taking it off would
be greatly appreciated!

Vijay

AV

Oct 9, 2003, 12:15:51 AM10/9/03
PAINT the bumper before putting it on

"Vijay S. Bajwa" <vba...@optonline.net> wrote in message

Daniel M. Dreifus

Oct 9, 2003, 9:25:07 AM10/9/03
"Vijay S. Bajwa" <vba...@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<eS2hb.15975$Ri4.5...@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
Any pointers in taking it off would
> be greatly appreciated!

Haynes Manual for Gen. 3 (1992-1996) is available for around $20 or
less and shows an "exploded" view diagram of the rear bumper including
fasteners.
While yours is a 1997, they've got to be very similar.

John M. Darnielle

Oct 9, 2003, 10:22:20 AM10/9/03
"Daniel M. Dreifus" <nospam...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Actually, the Haynes generation four manual is out now, covering 1997 thru
1999. It says:

1. Working under the vehicle, detach the plastic clips and screws securing
the lower edge of the bumper cover.

2. Remove the nuts securing the bumper cover in each corner of the trunk
interior.

3. Open the trunk lid and remove the clips or pins securing the upper edge
of the bumper cover. Pull the bumper cover out and away from the vehicle.

John M. Darnielle
Remove anti spam phrase from reply address to e-mail me.

Vijay S. Bajwa

Oct 9, 2003, 2:00:24 PM10/9/03
"John M. Darnielle" <j...@pcisys.I.hate.spam.net> wrote in message news:<voaroml...@corp.supernews.com>...

Thanks! I will post my experiences

Pakgeorge

Oct 9, 2003, 11:32:06 PM10/9/03
If you carefully heat the inside of the plastic bumper it shoud pop put
rather easily.
geo

Vijay S. Bajwa

Oct 13, 2003, 1:55:58 PM10/13/03
OK, I successfully removed the rear bumper, popped out the dent
in the corner (from backing into a telephone pole) and
re-installed it w/o incident. There are
a) two bolts on the outside, below the trunk door
(one on each end)
b) a row of clips on the top of bumber, below the trunk
You pry open the inside screw, the groumet pops out
c) unscrew 3 clips each on inside black panel behind tail
light and slide the panel out. Repeat for the other side.
This reveals 3 bolts in the tool wells. Open these.
d) get under the car and unfasten 3 clips holding down the
under side of bumper. These are similar to clips in step 'c'
only these are bigger. You should be easily able to unscrew
the inside screws, and pop out the anchors, but mine just
kept on turning. I pried out the clips, and carefully cut
them with a knife. I need to replace these now.

Took the bumper cover out, popped out the dent, fixed a ripped seam
with bumper epoxy and hardner and fibre gauze. Cleaned out the bumper
parts and installed it right back. The dented corner didn't restore
to original shape, but for spending nothing on it, pretty darned good!
Better than the $600 estimate, and an outrageous $900 one (including
blending in the paint with the quarter panels)!

Thanks for all your help!