Turning radius

cameo

Dec 25, 2017, 3:40:52 PM12/25/17
How do Subies compare to other brands, such as Hondas and Toyotas?

Patty Winter

Dec 25, 2017, 5:28:34 PM12/25/17

In article <p1rnoj$rl6$1...@dont-email.me>, cameo <ca...@unreal.invalid> wrote:
>How do Subies compare to other brands, such as Hondas and Toyotas?

Which Subie? Which Honda? Which Toyota?

I imagine there's quite a difference between a WRX and an Ascent,
just for starters.

If you can't find the information on the manufacturers' websites,
try Road & Track, Motor Trend, or Car & Driver.

abj...@sbcglobal.net

Dec 25, 2017, 7:05:49 PM12/25/17
On Monday, December 25, 2017 at 2:28:34 PM UTC-8, Patty Winter wrote:
> In article <p1rnoj$rl6$1...@dont-email.me>, cameo <ca...@unreal.invalid> wrote:
> >How do Subies compare to other brands, such as Hondas and Toyotas?
>
> Which Subie? Which Honda? Which Toyota?
>
> I imagine there's quite a difference between a WRX and an Ascent,
> just for starters.

Precisely. There is some variance between models.
Generally, a Forester, not to mention Impreza, is
much more manuverable compared to an Outback/Baja
Tribeca, or even Legacy.

I'd say turning radius is good on the smaller cars.
Nothing outstanding on the bigger models but overall
good. Despite burden of AWD similar to non-AWD car
of other makes.

Basia

John McGaw

Dec 25, 2017, 8:14:09 PM12/25/17
On 12/25/2017 3:43 PM, cameo wrote:
> How do Subies compare to other brands, such as Hondas and Toyotas?

I think that you need to do some Googling for yourself. As a starting
point, the turning circle of an 2018 Outback (all versions) is 36 feet
which would, if my primary school education still holds up, make the radius
18 feet. I suspect that the Outback probably has the largest circle of all
the Subarus, given its size. Or maybe the Ascent but I'm not going to go
look it up.

abj...@sbcglobal.net

Dec 25, 2017, 8:26:38 PM12/25/17
If cirumference is 36 feet, from circumference
formula radius should be 5.73 feet [Diameter= 2(Pi)r]
36=2(3.14)r

Basia

abj...@sbcglobal.net

Dec 25, 2017, 8:30:28 PM12/25/17
Not diameter but Circumerence= 2(Pi)r

Anyway, from my experience, these cars have similar
turning ability to non AWD cars.

> 36=2(3.14)r

Basia

cameo

Dec 29, 2017, 7:29:30 PM12/29/17
On 12/25/2017 4:05 PM, ba...@sbcglobal.net wrote:
> On Monday, December 25, 2017 at 2:28:34 PM UTC-8, Patty Winter wrote:
>> In article <p1rnoj$rl6$1...@dont-email.me>, cameo <ca...@unreal.invalid> wrote:
>>> How do Subies compare to other brands, such as Hondas and Toyotas?
>>
>> Which Subie? Which Honda? Which Toyota?
>>
>> I imagine there's quite a difference between a WRX and an Ascent,
>> just for starters.
>
> Precisely. There is some variance between models.
> Generally, a Forester, not to mention Impreza, is
> much more manuverable compared to an Outback/Baja
> Tribeca, or even Legacy.
>
> I'd say turning radius is good on the smaller cars.
> Nothing outstanding on the bigger models but overall
> good. Despite burden of AWD similar to non-AWD car
> of other makes.
>
> Basia

I was just interested in how it feels to turn around on a 2-way street
or parking in a tight place compared to some other cars you may have had
before. I haven't decided which model I'm going to buy but I definately
want one that is more maneuvrable than the Honda Accord I am driving now.

Yousuf Khan

Jan 2, 2018, 11:32:43 PM1/2/18
On 12/25/2017 3:43 PM, cameo wrote:
> How do Subies compare to other brands, such as Hondas and Toyotas?

In the two Subies that I've owned so far, a 2000 Outback, and a 2008
Tribeca, I've found that the turning radius is pretty long compared to
other cars I've driven. I find myself doing more 3-point turns than in
any other vehicles. My feeling is that the permanent AWD system makes
turning a bit more difficult.

Yousuf Khan

cameo

Jan 3, 2018, 6:44:57 PM1/3/18
Thanks. That's the answer I was looking for. Not so much that the radius
is long, but the personal experience.

Yousuf Khan

Jan 4, 2018, 2:25:09 PM1/4/18
I've never tried the shorter wheelbase Subies, like the Impreza or
Crosstrek, so maybe my experience is skewed a bit by going with larger
Subies.

Also another problem I've had with my Subies, is knowing where the
corners are, especially out the back, so I tend to be very conservative
on my backing up and turning. If your car has a backup camera, it'll
probably be a lot easier for you. My cars are too old to have had
standard backup cameras.

John Varela

Jan 5, 2018, 12:59:44 PM1/5/18
On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 23:47:59 UTC, cameo <ca...@unreal.invalid> wrote:

> On 1/2/2018 8:32 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
> > On 12/25/2017 3:43 PM, cameo wrote:
> >> How do Subies compare to other brands, such as Hondas and Toyotas?
> >
> > In the two Subies that I've owned so far, a 2000 Outback, and a 2008
> > Tribeca, I've found that the turning radius is pretty long compared to
> > other cars I've driven. I find myself doing more 3-point turns than in
> > any other vehicles. My feeling is that the permanent AWD system makes
> > turning a bit more difficult.
> >
> >     Yousuf Khan at holiday time at holiday time
>

> Thanks. That's the answer I was looking for. Not so much that the radius
> is long, but the personal experience.

I have the opposite experience. My wife's 2014 Forester has a much
better turning radius than my 2011 Infiniti M37.

Surely it depends more on the model than the brand. It shouldn't be
hard to google up the turn radii for various models of Subaru and
the competitors.

--
John Varela

Chicobiker

Jan 6, 2018, 6:11:40 AM1/6/18
On Monday, December 25, 2017 at 3:40:52 PM UTC-5, cameo wrote:
> How do Subies compare to other brands, such as Hondas and Toyotas?

My impression is that my 2010 Outback has a great turning radius. Much smaller than I expected for a decent sized car. I just picked up a 2018 Impreza, and I haven't really noticed the turning radius yet. Too cold and snowy to be experimenting!

cameo

Jan 6, 2018, 11:19:41 PM1/6/18
The turn radious is not a common spec item for car features listed for
typical buyers. One would have to dig for too much.

John Varela

Jan 7, 2018, 4:08:57 PM1/7/18
https://www.google.com/search?q=Subaru+Forester+Turn+Radius&ie=utf-8
&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a&gws
_rd=ssl

--
John Varela

abj...@sbcglobal.net

Jan 7, 2018, 5:35:40 PM1/7/18

cameo

Jan 8, 2018, 9:29:01 PM1/8/18
Thanks, though they are virtually the same.