[NEWS] Subaru recalling over 200,000 2017-2019 Imprezas and Crosstreks

Your Name

Oct 27, 2019, 5:33:51 PM10/27/19

From Jalopnik.com ...

Subaru Is Recalling Over 200,000 Imprezas And Crosstreks
That Might Require Engine Replacements
Subaru is recalling 228,500 2017-2019 Imprezas and Crosstreks
for faulty PCV valves, an issue that could require total
engine replacements. Owners of affected vehicles will have to
take their vehicles to the dealer, where CarComplaints
reports that they'll be inspected to see if the engine needs
to be swapped.

If left unattended, the faulty PCV valves may allow oil to
enter the combustion chamber and burn up. Eventually, bits of
the valves themselves may enter the combustion chamber and
cause engine failure.

Subaru says that 251 2017 Imprezas will definitely have their
engines replaced, while the rest need to be inspected to
determine if the engine needs to be swapped. No matter what,
they're all getting their PCV valves inspected and, if
necessary, replaced with a more durable design.

As per usual, the manufacturer will reach out to you directly
if your car is affected. You can also enter your VIN on
NHTSA's site <https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls>, which should
tell you immediately if you need to have the work done.

You'll also find out if you need to come in for a separate
recall announced this week, which covers over 500,000
Imprezas and Crosstreks. That one involves the car keeping
its ignition coils powered up even when the car is off, which
could cause the car to stall if the fuses blow. Overall, not
a good week for a company trying to step up its quality.

<https://jalopnik.com/subaru-is-recalling-over-200-000-imprezas-and-crosstrek-1839396638>

abj...@sbcglobal.net

Oct 27, 2019, 6:36:51 PM10/27/19
"Old-timers" on this newsgroup have been noticing
deteriorating Subaru quality for years, but whenever
a serious discussion of the topic arises previously
unknown people show-up and troll away the critique
making a case for Subarus being a superior product,

...until another recall is announced!

Its been like that for more than a decade on this forum.

I suspect Subaru has an internet presence, read: hires
paid trolls to counter any criticisms.

Basia

Your Name

Oct 27, 2019, 8:55:11 PM10/27/19
It isn't just Subaru, or even car makers. The number of recalls for all
sorts of products has been increasing rapidly for years, although
admittedly some of the food recalls are simply because they didn't put
a particular ingredient (potential allergen for some people) on the
label. There isn't a week that goes by without a couple of recalls in
the local newspaper and more listed on the government website.

Companies these days rush products through without proper checks and
testing, mostly to appease the stupid general public's greed for the
latest and greatest new toy on the block. :-\

Frank

Oct 28, 2019, 7:41:29 AM10/28/19
My Crosstrek is on the list and issue is potential ignition coil defect
and some reprogramming.

Frank

Oct 28, 2019, 12:15:38 PM10/28/19
Just spoke to my dealer and am having it looked at Friday am. Recall is
as I describe and it will take an hour to an hour and a half. No big
deal as it is less then the 2 miles from the fitness club I go to.

Service lady asked if I had a recall notice from the dealer and I told
here I caught it here first.

abj...@sbcglobal.net

Oct 28, 2019, 2:36:05 PM10/28/19
All is true but group members here remember
many of the details of Subaru debacles, for
example the head-gasket failures and can
attest to a somewhat different story.

The issue was never really resolved until Subaru
produced an entirely different engine, the FB type.

In the meantime, whenever someone showed up here
asking whether the problem was remedied, because he
or she wanted to buy a new car, previously unknown
people would suddenly appear and argue at full force
that the problem is non-existent anymore- it has
been fixed in current models. A year or so later we
would hear about gaskets continuing to fail.

This situation kept repeating itself for nearly
a decade, until the EJ engine went away and the FB
type was introduced. Soon we learned that the FB
is prone to excessive oil consumption because
supposedly piston rings were of a poor sealing type.
And again whenever someone shows up here asking
about the problem, if it has been resolved, unknown
people/names suddenly appear and try to convince
the inquiring soul that all has been fixed in the
newer years models.

Soon after we all hear that the problem continuing.
The situation keeps mimicking the head-gasket failure
debacle.

Now we hear that the newest FB engines 2017-19 models
not only consume oil but crumbling parts:

"PCV valves may allow oil to enter the combustion
chamber and burn up. Eventually, bits of the valves
themselves may enter the combustion chamber and cause
engine failure."

I wonder if this recall is the end of it, or just a
continuation of a very long saga, of new recalls
new fixes until the issue is finally resolved when
an entirely new engine is introduced (?). Time
will tell.

Basia

Cameo

Oct 28, 2019, 3:08:52 PM10/28/19
On 10/27/2019 11:36 PM, ba...@sbcglobal.net wrote:
> "Old-timers" on this newsgroup have been noticing
> deteriorating Subaru quality for years, but whenever
> a serious discussion of the topic arises previously
> unknown people show-up and troll away the critique
> making a case for Subarus being a superior product,

Tell me about it, Basia. I think Subaru is becoming a victim of its own
success and getting sloppy.

Frank

Oct 28, 2019, 3:40:48 PM10/28/19
I had the head gasket problem on my Forester as did a son on his. We
both got about 1/3 of the cost of repair rebated from Subaru even
thought both Foresters were out of warranty. Mine was beginning to
reoccur at age 13 when I traded it in but I did get full trade in value.

Frank

Nov 1, 2019, 12:29:05 PM11/1/19
Work done this am. Nothing wrong with coil but reprogramming was needed
to avoid overheating which could lead to failure.

Dealer service was very busy but I was in and out in 45 min. Super,
comfortable service waiting area with TV, magazines, wifi, free coffee
apples and candy and granola bars. If I were earlier, I would have
breakfasted for free.

Your Name

Nov 1, 2019, 4:29:46 PM11/1/19
Personally I'd prefer if they stopped all the "free" stuff and simply
lowered the price of the services.

Frank

Nov 1, 2019, 6:48:49 PM11/1/19
On 11/1/2019 4:29 PM, Your Name wrote:
> On 2019-11-01 16:27:32 +0000, Frank said:

>>> Just spoke to my dealer and am having it looked at Friday am.Â
>>> Recall is as I describe and it will take an hour to an hour and a
>>> half.  No big deal as it is less then the 2 miles from the fitness
>>> club I go to.
>>>
>>> Service lady asked if I had a recall notice from the dealer and I
>>> told here I caught it here first.
>>
>> Work done this am.  Nothing wrong with coil but reprogramming was
>> needed to avoid overheating which could lead to failure.
>>
>> Dealer service was very busy but I was in and out in 45 min.  Super,
>> comfortable service waiting area with TV, magazines, wifi, free coffee
>> apples and candy and granola bars.  If I were earlier, I would have
>> breakfasted for free.
>
> Personally I'd prefer if they stopped all the "free" stuff and simply
> lowered the price of the services.

Dealer is no more expensive than other shop I might go to. Sometimes
even less. On occasion they even include a free car wash. The recall
did not cost me anything and I did get a free coffee ;)

A few weeks ago I hit something on the road and got a blowout. With
roadside assistance in 3 year bumper to bumper warranty I had them
change the tire and put on the spare, drove to the dealer and got a new
tire. Had to pay for the tire of course but everything was convenient
for this old guy.

Your Name

Nov 1, 2019, 7:19:34 PM11/1/19
I didn't mean the dealer servicing specifically. Many places offer
"free" stuff when simply reducing the prices would be more sensible,
but since most people do not use all the free stuff, the business comes
out ahead.

> On occasion they even include a free car wash. The recall did not cost
> me anything and I did get a free coffee ;)

I take my car to the dealer for servicing and they have a similar small
waiting area with "free" stuff. They also give the car a free wash
(although only a quickly) when they've finished, although I often tell
them not to bother since I usually wash it before taking it in for the
service. They also (supposedly) give me 10% discount on work,
road-worthiness tests, and in-stock parts - I'm not sure if it is also
for parts ordered from Japan.

> A few weeks ago I hit something on the road and got a blowout. With
> roadside assistance in 3 year bumper to bumper warranty I had them
> change the tire and put on the spare, drove to the dealer and got a new
> tire. Had to pay for the tire of course but everything was convenient
> for this old guy.

I pay for the local Automobile Association membership here in New
Zealand, which gives free roadside assistence as well as free towing
(within certain distances) when needed. I've only had to use it a
couple of times - once for a flat battery which was working again by
the time the AA arrived.

Simple tyre punctures, like a nail in the tyre, are usually fixed for
free at most tyre shops here.

Frank

Nov 1, 2019, 8:27:00 PM11/1/19
We call it AAA, American Automobile Association. My wife has it and I
believe she pays $66/yr. If I did not have the road service she would
have driven out to it and used her AAA as her name is also on the car.

My flat was a lot more than a nail. It was a blowout in an area I could
not stop right away and had to pull up maybe an 1/8 mile to get on a
shoulder of the road. Tire was cut up. I was worried about the rim as
it had a dent in it but fortunately the dealer confirmed that it was
only a minor cosmetic problem and did not need a replacement. He also
had the tire on hand and I could replace it with no problem as the car
is new.