Re: Would this have happened in a Subaru?

cameo

Jul 2, 2012, 3:01:15 PM7/2/12
On 7/2/2012 5:46 AM, ba...@sbcglobal.net wrote:
> What really happened here?
> Would AWD have prevented this?
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5uTxoBGBc4
>
> Basia

Was that a blown tire? But why are all those other cars keep passing
like nothing happened?

abj...@sbcglobal.net

Jul 3, 2012, 12:48:56 AM7/3/12
At full screen, an elongated object on the road
is visible. It must have caused a blown tire.

I wonder how a Subaru permanent AWD would have
handled this. Would a Subaru be able to continue
straight, or at least not swerve so badly?

Basia

ps. I think these are Koreans. They are kind of,
slowing down, probably to assess the situation.
Most likely not stopping as the logically conclude
that professional help is needed (?).
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

abj...@sbcglobal.net

Jul 4, 2012, 3:09:16 AM7/4/12
On Jul 3, 9:48 pm, d...@no.email.thankstospam.net (DK) wrote:

> In article <ffdc06fb-64d9-4f09-b856-9910173c2...@nw7g2000pbb.googlegroups.com>, "ba...@sbcglobal.net" <abjj...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> >> Was that a blown tire? But why are all those other cars keep passing
> >> like nothing happened?
>
> >At full screen, an elongated object on the road
> >is visible.  It must have caused a blown tire.
>
> >I wonder how a Subaru permanent AWD would have
> >handled this.  Would a Subaru be able to continue
> >straight, or at least not swerve so badly?
>
> No. At highway speeds, any car is vulnerable to this
> sort of unfortunate event (with low probability). On a given
> vehicle, bigger wheels and better driver are the only
> important factors.

One would think permanent AWD, stability control,
traction control, all should do at least something.

You think bigger wheels are helpful?
Bigger wheels in the absolute, or just lower
profile tires?

I know for certain that during a blowout one is
supposed to accelerate slightly while maintaining
direction. It works!

I had a blow out a few years ago while driving
an old Chevy Corsica FWD, at around 65-70 mph
(front left side tire blew). I tapped slightly
on the accelerator, and the whole thing was
fairly uneventful. Worst part was when I was
coming to a stop the tire slipped from the rim,
actually shifted on the rim perpendicularly, so
the last 20 yards were real bumpy and almost
destroyed the rim.

Basia

abj...@sbcglobal.net

Jul 4, 2012, 4:49:44 AM7/4/12
On Jul 4, 12:09 am, "ba...@sbcglobal.net" <abjj...@sbcglobal.net>
...and very briefly, I forgot to add.

Basia

cameo

Jul 4, 2012, 2:52:03 PM7/4/12
On 7/3/2012 9:48 PM, DK wrote:
> No. At highway speeds, any car is vulnerable to this
> sort of unfortunate event (with low probability). On a given
> vehicle, bigger wheels and better driver are the only
> important factors.

The driver also may not have been holding the wheel firmly with two
hands when the blowout happened. Like when reaching for the radio button
or a Kleenex with one hand, or something like that.