EA82 1800cc OHC camshaft issue?

Marc Dillinger

Apr 6, 2002, 11:56:25 PM4/6/02
Hi folks, today I got to work on my recently purchased 88 Subaru GL. I
bought it knowing it didn't work.

It's a EA82 1800cc OHC engine, 230 000km

So far the good news is the engine turns over, so I proceeded to test the
spark plugs. No spark. Checked the distributor rotor. It wasn't turning. I
removed the distributor from and the rotar spins freely in my hands, so its
not that. I'm not sure how the distributor gets hooked up to the engine,
does it attach directly to the camshaft?

I'm clueless as to where to look next, but I'll remove the valve cover and
take a look. Any suggestions on possible ideas on what my problem is, and
where to go next?

Thanks,

Marc Dillinger

Kim W

Apr 7, 2002, 8:59:34 AM4/7/02
You will find that the left cam belt is broken. The distributor is driven
off the left side camshaft.
Cheers
Kim W

Ed Rachner

Apr 8, 2002, 9:41:41 AM4/8/02
Definitely a bad timing belt (you have two in that engine). Since the
engine is a non-interference type, no damage is done if the belt breaks.
However, with the mileage you have on the engine, it is a good idea to
replace the front seals and the water pump at the same time as the belts.
Typical charges for that work are in the $600US range. The work is not
outside of the realm of a good home mechanic. You can get more information
and support at http://server2.ezboard.com/bultimatesubarumessageboards if
you need it. If the car is in otherwise good condition, it's certainly
worth doing the work. I have 240K MILES on my '86 GL and expect to go many
more. Good luck. ---Ed---
"Marc Dillinger" <cybers...@yahoo.nadaspamplease.com> wrote in message

Gerry Kroll

Apr 9, 2002, 10:04:58 AM4/9/02

Definitely a broken timing belt.

I wish you had asked first, before removing the distributor. If you had
left the distributor installed, you would just have had to replace the
timing belts. NOW, you have to re-install the distributor *correctly* and
then reset the timing too. This is a pain-in-the-a..
---
Regards,
Gerry Kroll, (I don't speak for my employer)

e-mail: g.kro...@ottawa.SPAM.com
Remove obvious text in e-mail address.