The Dusenberg collection of Homer Fitterling.

Karl Haas

Jan 3, 2010, 1:54:30 AM1/3/10
I sawthif gathering of Dusenbergs only once - at the first SDC IM in
SB.

It seems that there werr about 25 of them jammed into that barn,
gyarded by the lone Packard sbow chassis out in the weeds.

Anybpdy knpw where they ended up?

Karl Haas

Colin Jack

Jan 3, 2010, 11:17:30 AM1/3/10
"There was a fellow down in the States by the name of Homer Fitterling
who had amassed a collection of about 300 cars, and 22 of them were
Duesenbergs. When he died another fellow by the name of Ed Weaver bought
the entire collection [for $13 million US].

"Then he died of a heart attack, and all the cars went to auction at no
reserve. That auction single-handedly destroyed the price of
Duesenbergs. There's not many Duesenbergs today that are worth a million
dollars -- they have to be pretty special. That's not to say they still
aren't quite pricey. You can pick up a sedan in the $200,000 to $300,000
range."

from
http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/story.html?id=96d85614-e684-4f92-8b69-a6944b661183&p=3

Studebaker George

Jan 3, 2010, 12:26:37 PM1/3/10
I 'dunno about his prices...general rule for many years is that ANY
model of the 'big D' is worth a million..
I do, however, think there will be a large drop in the prices of such
in the next five or so years. Parts prices will drop like a stone
also as there will be fewer and fewer cars restored. The 'easy'
restorations or most desireable cars are already done and many already
restored cars will be on the market as the older collectors die off
and the younger generations who inherit them just sell them off for
whatever....as it seems the younger generations don't care that much
for old cars. All of us know that is a lot cheaper to buy one already
'done' (yeah, a relative term..) than do it from the ground up. Will
be interesting to follow the market for the next few years...
Studebaker George

mbstude

Jan 3, 2010, 1:38:41 PM1/3/10
Yea George. None of us yungin's care about old cars. <G>

MB

Studebaker George

Jan 3, 2010, 3:24:35 PM1/3/10
Yeah, Matthew...you will be lucky as just think of all the really cool
cars that will be available cheep. Hope there is gas to run
'em...and hope you stop by and visit what few codgers will be left...
Maybe on good days we will remember who you are..<G>...
Studebaker George

Karl Haas

Jan 3, 2010, 11:47:03 PM1/3/10
On Jan 3, 8:17 am, Colin Jack <c.c.s.j...@pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> "There was a fellow down in the States by the name of Homer Fitterling
> who had amassed a collection of about 300 cars, and 22 of them were
> Duesenbergs. When he died another fellow by the name of Ed Weaver bought
> the entire collection [for $13 million US].
>
> "Then he died of a heart attack, and all the cars went to auction at no
> reserve. That auction single-handedly destroyed the price of
> Duesenbergs. There's not many Duesenbergs today that are worth a million
> dollars -- they have to be pretty special. That's not to say they still
> aren't quite pricey. You can pick up a sedan in the $200,000 to $300,000
> range."
>
> fromhttp://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/story.html?id=96d85614-e6...

> Karl Haas wrote:
> > I sawthif gathering of Dusenbergs only once - at the first SDC IM in
> > SB.
>
> > It seems that there werr about 25 of them jammed into that barn,
> > gyarded by the lone Packard sbow chassis out in the weeds.
>
> > Anybpdy knpw where they ended up?
>
> > Karl Haas- Hide quoted text -

I coukdn't remember how to spell Homers last name and didn't want
to create an error that got passed down the line.
I was quite upset that two cars were actually touching ta the front
fenders.
The custom (Tom Mix?) car was 'interesting', but so is a bronzed turd.

HF also has a barrel of 1938 red circle grille badges = NOS.
Sheldom Henderson wanted to buy one. No deal!

I did not admire HF, as you might guess.

Karl

Larry ludeman

Dec 9, 2017, 10:18:07 PM12/9/17
replying to Colin Jack, Larry ludeman wrote:
Homer sold me his trucking co in 1970. Lake Motor Freight line. I went to his
South Bend,In farm. He had four building loaded with his cars. He let me look
at all his cars. They were beautiful. He pick up his first Duesnburg in 1940
at a junk yard in California. It was Tom Mix old Duesnburg. He died in Dec
1992 in Florida. Larry Ludeman Chicago,Il

for full context, visit http://www.motorsforum.com/studebaker/the-dusenberg-collection-of-homer-fitterling-35253-.htm

Larry ludeman

Dec 9, 2017, 10:18:07 PM12/9/17
replying to Karl Haas, Larry ludeman wrote:
Homer sold me his trucking co in 1970. Lake Motor Freight Line. I went to his
farm in South Bend In. He had four buildings loaded with beautiful cars. He
let me look at all of his cars. He told me his Frist Dusenberg he pick up in a
junk yard in California. Tom Mix old Dusenberg. Homer had his drivers look for
old cars anywhere In the USA. If they found one he liked they would receive a
fee. He died Dec 1992 in Florida. Homer was a honest man. A hand shake was
good as gold.

Unknown

Oct 4, 2018, 8:18:03 AM10/4/18
replying to Larry ludeman, Ed. Modlin, Jr. wrote:
Thank you for setting the record straight about Homer, Larry! My father did
business with Homer when he owned about five truck lines that he operated out
of South Bend between 1956-63.. One of his cars was a 1901 Glide... a
beautiful horseless carriage that he drove in a parade at the St. Joseph
County 4-H Fair around 1960. He insisted that my mom and I ride with him. He
was a terrific guy and an honest businessman.

--
for full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/studebaker/the-dusenberg-collection-of-homer-fitterling-35253-.htm

Larry Ludeman

Oct 29, 2018, 8:18:03 PM10/29/18
replying to Ed. Modlin, Jr., Larry Ludeman wrote:
Ed this is Larry Ludeman. I saw your post. Homer came to Chicago in 1970 he
help me buy Lake Motor Freight line. Had to be ok by ICC. He gave me a lot of
tips on the trucking business. We did everything on a handshake I was not use
that. I payed him every month for 5 years. He was a great man. They don’t
make men like him anymore. It’s nice to know that your father did business
with Homer. He took me on a tour to see all his cars. Four buildings full of
cars. He also had $200,000.00 RV He would go to Florida every year. Homer was
one of a kind. I will never forget him. Take care Larry

southbend

Jan 4, 2021, 12:01:38 AM1/4/21
I was married to one of Homer Fitterling’s three daughters. I saw his collection of Cars many times. He collected many other things as well. The oddest was his barrels full of match covers. He was also a collector of coins and glassware. He had hundreds of acres of farmland as well as American Buffaloes. His daughter and I divorced after my two tours in Vietnam. She went on to Mary twice more. Both ended in divorce. She died in 1995 from cancer. Homers wife Maxine died in 2010.

Both Homer and Maxine treated me with respect and I cared for them very much. I miss all three of them to this day. Sharon and I married in 1965 just after I had graduated from DePauw university. I never have remarried. We did not have children. Sharon went on to have two children with her second husband.

--
For full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/studebaker/the-dusenberg-collection-of-homer-fitterling-35253-.htm

shaded6

May 26, 2022, 1:32:09 AM5/26/22
I'm Seth Fitterling. Homer was my great grandfather's (John Fitterling) brother. His cars eventually got bought by Jay Leno a long time ago at another auction.

Doomedwc

May 28, 2022, 10:33:06 PM5/28/22
CORRECTION. Sharon did not die in 1995. That is an ERROR.
Sharon did not die in 1995.
I’ve actually forgotten now what year she did die. I believe it was closer to 2015.
*