Solanki Performance Website and Aluminum Blocks

nsola...@yahoo.com

Dec 6, 2007, 1:05:24 PM12/6/07
Guys, I have adjusted the file sizes on my gallery page so I hope you
guys don't have any more issues on downloading the pictures or viewing
them.

Also, I am in the process of makin billet aluminum stude blocks. My
main concern is to get a large bore and use some sort of a chevy oil
pan. Are there any other changes you guys would want to see? Please
let me know as I would like some feedback.

Nimesh

Bob

Dec 6, 2007, 5:22:56 PM12/6/07
Design the bellhousing area to accept modern housings .Choose the pattern of
the most used 5 or 6 speed manual or auto and make it a bolt on.Any other
choice would need to use a adapter plate.

Bob40

<nsola...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Gordon Richmond

Dec 6, 2007, 6:02:12 PM12/6/07

Billet aluminum blocks? Sounds cool. Cubic $$$, maybe?
What about designing the block so the oil pan rail is full-circle, so you can use a
one-piece flat neoprene gasket?

And definitely design it so that a one-piece seal can be used at the front and rear mains.
If a stock Stude crank is used, that would require some sort of seal-matching hub be
attached to the crank flange, but I think it's doable.

My .02 worth, anyhow.

Gord Richmond

Grumpy AuContraire

Dec 6, 2007, 7:48:09 PM12/6/07

nsola...@yahoo.com wrote:

If the internals remain Stude, I see a BIG advantage as to weight. It
would be great to see a 259 cid that weighed a couple of hundred pounds
less than the current 600+ lbs.

Are aluminum heads a possibility?

JT

dwcars

Dec 6, 2007, 8:45:23 PM12/6/07
Lifter bores, height, and spacing should accomodate late model Chevrolet
hydraulic roller lifters

Jeff DeWitt

Dec 6, 2007, 10:03:40 PM12/6/07

First of all let me say WOW! That's a really cool project, wish I could
afford one.

I'm sure you've thought of this but it seems like it would be a really
good idea to get Ted's ideas.

Would you like to share with us what you are thinking a finished engine
might be like? I bet it's going to be a bit bigger than an R3!

Can't afford it but it's fun to dream... how about a Champ pickup with a
Studebaker 500cid alumnum V8 <BG>

Jeff DeWitt

Transtar60

Dec 6, 2007, 10:28:57 PM12/6/07
And the stock bellhousing.

--
2R10
2R14

ALEX M.

Dec 6, 2007, 11:58:25 PM12/6/07
Sounds interesting. I watched this video on Dart blocks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUCNcta_k1I

I still don't undertand how they machine the water passages though?
I would guess the big advantage, besides weight is that you could get a much
bigger bore?

Alex

Lee Aanderud

Dec 7, 2007, 8:45:11 AM12/7/07
Is there even a market for something like this?

Lee

"ALEX M." <eng...@verizon.net> wrote in message

nsola...@yahoo.com

Dec 7, 2007, 9:23:33 AM12/7/07
On Dec 7, 8:45 am, "Lee Aanderud" <aande...@alltel.net> wrote:
> Is there even a market for something like this?
>
> Lee

I'm only planning on making 3 blocks, mainly for myself as I don't
think anyone will want to spend between 9-11K on a block. There are a
few people out there that will buy and maybe I will sell 2 or 3, but I
don't expect more than that. Again, this is just a personal project
and if I sell one or two that would be cool, but if not, that is cool
too. The problem is that where should the modifications stop. If too
many modifications are done and the block is made so that everthing
that is brand X bolts on, then is it really a Studebaker engine? I
want the engine to look like a Stude, or it might as well just be a
chevy, ford, or mopar.

nimesh

Lee Aanderud

Dec 7, 2007, 9:42:09 AM12/7/07
Okay now I understand, I thought you were building these to sell.

Ever thought about producing a marketable set of headers for a 289?

Lee

Brooksie

Dec 7, 2007, 10:32:46 AM12/7/07
According to Ted Harbit, headers didn't help the performance of the Chicken
Hawk and it's my understanding there are all kinds of clearance problems for
headers with the starter and the steering box.

What I'd like to see for a Stude is workable, computer-controlled fuel
injection and modern pollution controls. Here in Alberta the government is
talking about special roadside cameras with pollution sensors to get "old
technology" off the road. This from a committee headed by the same mindless
idiot who dreamed up the changes to private auto insurance here that capped
soft tissue bodily injury claims at $4,000 without reducing liability
premiums the insurers were charging. As well, the feds are talking about
incentives to send cars built before 1995 to the boneyards.

Brooksie

"Lee Aanderud" <aand...@alltel.net> wrote in message

Brooksie

Dec 7, 2007, 10:34:40 AM12/7/07
That was my immediate thought too... if you can bolt on everything Edelbrock
ever made for a Bowtie or bellybutton, where is the Studebaker in it?

Brooksie

John Poulos

Dec 7, 2007, 10:48:06 AM12/7/07
I would not make too many mods or you'll just end up with another
brand X motor that's swings a Studebaker crank.

--
JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com

ALEX M.

Dec 8, 2007, 1:14:20 AM12/8/07
I was thinking the same thing. Too many changes and it's not a Studebaker.
If you want it too look like a Stude, it seems you would have to use the
stock heads or something close. If you use stock heads, isn't there a limit
on how big you can make the valves? If you greatly increase the bore, can
those valves feed a much bigger engine? The six bolts per cylinder design
make for a strong engine but it limits intake and exhaust options. I think
that is why the center ports are siamesed.

Jack Jeziorski

Dec 29, 2017, 9:18:03 AM12/29/17
replying to nsolanki77, Jack Jeziorski wrote:
I would like to talk with you about R-5545 which is sitting in my garage.

--
for full context, visit http://www.motorsforum.com/studebaker/solanki-performance-website-and-aluminum-blocks-32100-.htm

RoyG

Jan 21, 2023, 4:30:05 PM1/21/23
Supposedly when Studebaker made a limited number of R-3 heads they were designed for a proposed new block that would have been 340-350 c.I.. now those heads are extremely rare. If you could make those heads and then build a 340-350 ci block to accept them with Studebaker internals that would be awesome!

--
For full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/studebaker/solanki-performance-website-and-aluminum-blocks-32100-.htm