60's Packard V12

John Poulos

Jul 29, 2002, 3:46:41 PM7/29/02
You have to read the article on the V12 Packard prototypes in the
August TW, quite a story.

--
JP
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com

Sonny

Jul 29, 2002, 4:10:09 PM7/29/02
I would if it would get here JP! <g> Which reminds me. Aren't we supposed to
get some kind of membership card or something from the SDC? I get TW, but I
never got a thank you, welcome to...., e-mail, membership card, nothing.....

Sonny

"John Poulos" <ava...@erols.com> wrote in message

John Winn

Jul 29, 2002, 4:22:18 PM7/29/02
> I would if it would get here JP! <g> Which reminds me. Aren't we supposed
> get some kind of membership card or something from the SDC? I get TW, but
> never got a thank you, welcome to...., e-mail, membership card,
nothing.....

Hey Sonny..
Same problem here..My card expired 6-2002 and no replacement....I wonder
what's up???

Dave's Place

Jul 29, 2002, 10:45:45 PM7/29/02
> Same problem here..My card expired 6-2002 and no replacement....I wonder
> what's up???

Got mine last week. Attached was a letter saying that you can renew online.

--
Dave Lester and the Ain't This The Pits Crew
Home of 'Sheba, the Internationally Renowned Studebaker Under Construction

Paul

Jul 29, 2002, 8:49:04 PM7/29/02
I would just like to get the July issue before the August issue. Got my
membership card last month that was dated for April eventhough I renewed in
January. Somebody must be trying to catchup<G>.

Paul Villforth

"John Winn" <jonjo...@TAKETHISOUTmail.utexas.edu> wrote in message

Steve Miller

Jul 30, 2002, 12:59:32 PM7/30/02
Oh, I think it's a story, all right...

--
No refunds on menu items ordered "Hot," Very Hot," and "Thai Hot."

Dwain G

Jul 31, 2002, 12:52:58 AM7/31/02
1. Look at articles by Paul McKeehan in July, Aug., Oct.,
2001, and Jan., May 2002.

2. Find the author in any company history.

3. Don't be too upset by any of this.

Dwain G.

Stdbkr1955

Jul 31, 2002, 1:31:19 AM7/31/02

It would seem he has a talent for humor in Studebaker lore.
I also see the boxed in text on page 3 of all TW's that starts off with - The
information contained in this magazine is true and complete to our best
knowledge. it goes on about parts etc. If this is to be taken at it's word,
such articles as the one we have been speaking about should be labeled as
fiction.

Mickey
Home of the World Famous
Ms. Estella & Harvey The Traveling Truck

Sam Roberts

Jul 31, 2002, 8:37:31 AM7/31/02
Upset? No way, I thought it was a nice article, and great pictures, but
just a way of generating interest, which it seemed to do, don't you think?

Sam

"Dwain G" <jdw...@attbi.com> wrote in message

TomB

Jul 31, 2002, 10:05:46 AM7/31/02

I guess I'm a history purist. I won't be upset if the pictures are
proven accurate or frauds and the results publisized. I will be upset
if the truth is never proven. This kind of falls into the NYC Statue
controversy with certain individuals trying to write history such that
it meets their personal agenda. Not good.

TomB

Nate Nagel

Jul 31, 2002, 10:08:21 AM7/31/02
"John Winn" <jonjo...@TAKETHISOUTmail.utexas.edu> wrote in message news:<ai485s$595$1...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>...

I have a contact somewhere with whoever's taking care of such things
now (I don't think they are called KRIS anymore) because I'm in the
exact same boat... I want to get my "car club member" discount with
Broadway Title but I don't have a card more current than February.
Yes, I did renew and just got my latest TW yesterday. I wrote last
week but haven't gotten a reply yet. Maybe I should just join another
club :/

nate

John Poulos

Jul 31, 2002, 1:12:01 PM7/31/02
I'll admit I didn't even raise and eyebrow over his articles about
the designs for new tailgate and styling treatment for the T cab truck.
The one about the Studebaker electric plans was a shocker, but than
again it was in TW, so it must have been true, right ?. I now wonder who
bought the 60's electric car body from the author for $80.00 and how
much faith to put in this authors work. I never would have dreamed
Studebaker was looking at electric cars, V12 Packards and perhaps more
to come when they did not have a pot to piss in. Looks for solar or nuke
cars next I guess.
When I lived in South Bend I was shocked to see them spend the time
and money to paint the side of the factory and here they were spending
millions of state of the art technology that was kept secret for 40
years.
Dwain G wrote:

Transtar60

Jul 31, 2002, 1:53:34 PM7/31/02
I had similiar wonderings about the previous articles. Until someone
brought it up, I didnt give the cover a second thought.

How about the gas turbine cars mentioned in passing and the military vehicle
projects??

The militarised Champ looked right and the Army was almost ready to replace
the M37 Dodge 1 1/4 ton in1962. It sounded so logical since
Studebaker was making military trucks at the time.

Heck I think the 5 spd overdrive used in civilian trucks was the same
without provisions for the transfer case used in the military trucks.

Like some one else said"wheres the snow??"

--
Charlie Veit

5E13 1960 Transtar 1 ton Dually
7E7 1962 Champ 1/2 ton short bed
8E12 1964 Champ 3/4 ton Long bed
Lark VIII Regal Deluxe 4dr 1959 W6

"John Poulos" <ava...@erols.com> wrote in message

Steve Miller

Jul 31, 2002, 2:46:35 PM7/31/02
The pun, John, is the lowest form of humor. <SEG>

John Poulos wrote:

>SNIP The one about the Studebaker electric plans was a shocker SNIP

Studegary

Jul 31, 2002, 5:03:34 PM7/31/02
>Aren't we supposed
>> > get some kind of membership card or something from the SDC?

Yes, you are. I forwarded some of these comments to SDC's Registration
Director. Gary L.

Rkstude

Jul 31, 2002, 6:44:20 PM7/31/02
I agree with Sam. Holy sh**, whats the beef ? Good read, better than most of
the TW'S I've received of late.

Ron

John Poulos

Jul 31, 2002, 7:46:00 PM7/31/02
You wouldn't object if it turned out to total BS presented as fact ? I enjoyed
Star Wars too, but I assumed it was a work of fiction. The articles were
presented.as fact, the debate is about their authenticity. Of course I'll look
pretty silly if the guy shows up at the International driving one of those
V12's.<g>

Rkstude wrote:

Rkstude

Jul 31, 2002, 8:29:04 PM7/31/02
JP:

You won't look silly, just appreciative. Maybe Quinn can help. My impression
was his article in this TW was a companion piece on 'last Packards'. If so,
that would seem to indicate he read the yarn.

If it is a fraud, I'll just have a good laugh. It's not like life or death.

My Comorant article is in much detail including the writers bio. He's the best
writer since Ben Franklin is he's pulled a fast one.

Ron

John Poulos

Jul 31, 2002, 8:55:54 PM7/31/02
I don't think any of us are losing sleep over it. Perhaps our spirited discussion
could pass for outrage, but for me at least, it's more like a good murder mystery,
can't wait to read the last page. <g>

Rkstude wrote:

TomB

Jul 31, 2002, 9:11:29 PM7/31/02
On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 20:55:54 -0400, John Poulos <ava...@erols.com>
wrote:

>I don't think any of us are losing sleep over it. Perhaps our spirited discussion
>could pass for outrage, but for me at least, it's more like a good murder mystery,
>can't wait to read the last page. <g>

John,

I haven't slept in three days, anxious as I am over this issue. This
morning I started canvassing the local auto dismantlers (PC for
wrecking yards) in the hope of locating just a single piece or part of
one of these cars. I thought it was worth the effort because many of
the trees in this area keep their leaves in December so thought that
just maybe the street photo under discussion was actually taken here
in Sunnyvale. Sadly all I got was abuse from the operators when I
asked how many V12 Packards they had in the yard. When I suggested
that they might have them filed under Studebaker most of them closed
the bullet proof window and went back to watching their soap operas.

TomB

Rkstude

Jul 31, 2002, 10:37:19 PM7/31/02
They may be at Area 59, the Lockheed skunkworks, with Elvis at Graceland or,
just perhaps, buried at Bob Palma's place...A legend is indeed born.

Ron

Dave's Place

Aug 1, 2002, 12:43:14 AM8/1/02
> it's more like a good murder mystery,
> can't wait to read the last page. <g>

The End.

Sam Roberts

Jul 31, 2002, 11:34:09 PM7/31/02
Bada Bing Ossifer Dave! (nirg)

Sam

"Dave's Place" <sp...@provalue.net> wrote in message

Sam Roberts

Jul 31, 2002, 11:40:00 PM7/31/02
Palma, you and Pop holding out on us? (GRIN)

Sam

"Rkstude" <rks...@aol.com> wrote in message