Super Class Throttle Stops

Charlie Curtis

Aug 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/15/98
-- To fellow NHRA guys.

I dont understand NHRA reasons for there new rule proposal concerning
Throttle Stops.

However I do see a advantage to the little guy who does not have the
resources to field a fourty thousand dollar 4-link 500 inch Super Comp
car.

There are other ways to slow down a 8.50 car to 8.90 other than throttle
Stops.

But a guy that has a 7.90 car has a big problem.

Why not have a 7.90 Super Class?

As much as we like Super Comp Racing,the fans at some of these events
have a hard time understanding this big (BOG) off the line.

Maybe that is why the stands empty out during Super classes.

We think a 7.90 class would draw some of the faster cars,and maybe some
of the Super Gas door guys would step up to Super Comp with their 8.70
Door Cars.

I think that approach would stir up the class a bit and get some more
disparity.

Increased fan interest would lead to more exposure and more corporate
interests.This could lead to more backers=sponsors.

COMMENTS?

See you at E-Town Divisional The JUSTITIA INTERNATIONAL BOYS-MAIN BROS.

Brkter1

Aug 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/17/98
because throttle -stops suck and people in the stands watching get very
bored.bring back 4-speed doorslammers hanging it out to run 990 or 890

FERACER

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98

There is an answer about 7.90 index : it's called Super Eliminator, an d it's
getting very popular here in Division 7. It's sponsored by Korbel Winerys.
Personally, I'd like to see a regular 6.90 class to for the guys that can
afford to run it, nitro allowed, etc. NHRA's attitude towards nitro in the
non-pro classes is Neolithic. It's no more dangerous than anything else, and
there are a lot of older racers who want to run nitro but can't afford to go
Nostalgia Top Fuel. Gene Adams has gotten an A/Fuel class going here, but NHRA
keeps screwing with it, too. In any event, if you're interested in Super E,
contact the Division 7 office at NHRA and ask for info, or for Korbel's number.

Incidentally, this is one of the best groups I've seen - none of the name
calling and bs that so many other ones have. keep up the good work.
Denny

FERACER

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
As an NHRA track announcer I can tell you several reasons. One is the
additional cost to get a good throttle stop setup for someone building a new
car. Two is that it is virtually impossible to explain to a new spectator why
the cars "stumble", and what the reasons are. When I started drag racing in
'62, it was pedal to the metal every run, see how fast you can go. That's
reason #3, throttle stop racing has destroyed some of the tradition of drag
racing; instead of trying to go as fast & quick as we can, now we're trying to
slow down, which is BS. Four is, as you say, it's boring, especially in Super
Comp. Why in the hell would anyone want to build a dragster (the ultimate drag
racing vehicle) to run 9 seconds? Boring.
Keep in mind, that without throttle stops, the same smalll group will still do
most of the winning. Why? Because they work hard at winning and they practice a
lot. That's a no-brainer. You'll still see Edmond & Scott winning, and they've
said they will be the first to remove throttle stops if required, as have many
racers in my area. Now you have to have them to be competitive. Make them
illegal and we'll get back to real racing. Good example: Brian Griffey, has
been #1 and #2 in Div 7 in Super Street: he's never used an electronic or air
stop, only a mechanical stop, and he does his fair share of winning. Food for
thought.
Denny

n8jrz

Sep 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/1/98
to FERACER
THANK YOU !!! "break-gas-go.....FAST! is there any thing eles? bob

blaze...@gmail.com

Aug 18, 2018, 7:22:33 AM8/18/18
So basically it's standardized sandbagging. And it's boring as hell.
Message has been deleted