Oldest Drag Strip

Comet1966

Mar 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/9/98

Question:
Where is the oldest drag strip in the U.S.? We're talking longevity here. It
had to open in the 50s and is still running sanctioned drag races.
Joel? Gonzo? Mr. Pratt? Byron? Anybody? Whatever track it is should get some
recognition, don't you think? Maybe this question has already been answered in
HR Magazine or National Dragster.

"Pete" Garramone
come...@aol.com

michael steed

Mar 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/9/98
Tricky question! I hope we're talking about in CONTINOUS operation.
This would weed out a few contenders. There should be some from around
1955-57 or do that should meet this criteria. What about that track out
in Cal. operated by the "Dust Devils" car club.
Inyokern? MLS

Bill Pratt

Mar 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/9/98

I do have some notes on track history. I will check them out when I get home
tonight. Old Dominion Speedway in Manassas actually opened up as a DIRT
quarter mile in the '50s sometime! Again, I will check back in after I get a
chance to look through my notes.

Bill Pratt
Drag Racing List Online
http://www.draglist.com

RACECARART

Mar 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/9/98

>Old Dominion Speedway in Manassas actually opened up as a DIRT
>quarter mile in the '50s sometime! Again, I will check back in

>Bill Pratt

>Drag Racing List Online
>http://www.draglist.com

Bill, Gang,

I think it might be Pomona, but I know that Al Gore(not the VP!) broke ground
for the Manassas strip, Old Dominion Dragway, in '54 and opened in '54 and is
still running today. Gore was at VA M'Sports Park last summer to recieve an
award from Frank Spittle

Joel
RACEC...@aol.com

Dennis Friend

Mar 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/9/98

Pete, NG,
Bill Pratt will have more information about the longest running track:
Have always been told that the longest running race is the World Series
of Drag Racing, 1955-1956 was held at a strip in Lawrenceburg, Il from
1957 and still going strong , at Cordova, Il. Second longest in one
location believed to be
the U.S. Nationals at Indianapolis. Hope the NG has more info.
Dennis

Comet1966

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

>Subject: Re: Oldest Drag Strip

Let's find the oldest CONTINUOUS drag strip that's still in operation with a
sanction. Whichever it is should get a medal. Do we want to include dirt
strips that were converted to asphalt?
I'd say, "Why not?" if it's still running sanctioned races, it oughta qualify.

"Pete" Garramone
come...@aol.com

Tjacobsco

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

how bout GREAT BEND Kansas the first national was held there
in 57??? I raced there last year in a super quick show it's
still going strong and is marked as historical site

Sandrat

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

Just curious, where ya from tjacobsco? I live about 50 miles from
Great Bend. Used to race in GB when I was racing, but haven't been
there in years.
Sandrat

RACECARART

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

Pete, Gang,

Old Dominion in VA has been continuous since '54, as a drag strip, built as a
drag strip too. But when did Pomona open up. I think it was around the same
time or earlier.

>how bout GREAT BEND Kansas the first national was held there
>in 57??? <<

>> tjac...@aol.com (Tjacobsco)<<

TJ, the first NHRA National meet was in Great Bend in '55, '57 was Kansas
City, OK.

Just found something...Madera, CA one of the first NHRA sanctioned in '51. Is
it still operating?

Pomona was sanctioned in '52 according to NHRA history. I think it's been
continous since then.

Joel
RACEC...@aol.com

Bill Pratt

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

Here's what I have on this folks. Looks like Darlington takes the cake. I
don't have all of history's drag strips listed here. There are several past
and present strips for which I don't have an opening date. These all were
excluded from the list. Still, this gives us a neat look. The list is sorted
by opening date, closing date (descending), track, city, and state.

Enjoy!

Bill Pratt
Drag Racing List Online
http://www.draglist.com

Page No. 1
03/09/98
Oldest Drag Strips
by DRL Online

Open Close Track City State

50 59 PUNGO DRAGSTRIP PUNGO PA
* 50 DARLINGTON INT'L RACEWAY HARTSVILLE SC
51 64 MANVILLE AIRPORT MANVILLE NJ
52 53 CENTERDALE DRAGWAY CENTERDALE RI
53 INYOKERN DRAGSTRIP INYOKERN CA
53 REDDING RACEWAY RENO NV
53 SEBRING DRAGWAY SEBRING FL
53 US 30 DRAGWAY GARY IN
54 65 ORANGE DRAGSTRIP ORANGE MA
54 59 ARLINGTON RACEWAY POUGHKEEPSIE NY
54 59 FLEMINGTON DRAGWAY FLEMINGTON NJ
54 59 PATERSON DRAGWAY PATERSON NJ
54 55 LINDEN AIRPORT LINDEN NJ
54 55 OLD DOMINION SPDWY (5th dirt) MANASSAS VA
54 55 WOODBINE DRAGWAY WOODBINE NJ
54 54 LUZERNE COUNTY AIRPORT FORTY FORT PA
54 54 PENNELLVILLE DRAGSTRIP (grav.) PENNELLVILLE NY
55 76 OLD DOMINION SPDWY (5th paved) MANASSAS VA
55 55 FULTON AIRPORT FULTON NY
56 57 FREDERICK AIRPORT FREDERICK MD
56 57 SEACOAST SPEEDWAY GEORGETOWN DE
56 LONG ISLAND DRAGWAY WESTHAMPTON NY
57 89 PIEDMONT DRAGWAY (4th) JULIAN NC
57 68 FONDA SPEEDWAY FONDA NY
57 65 AQUASCO SPEEDWAY AQUASCO MD
57 64 CHARLESTOWN DRAGWAY CHARLESTOWN RI
57 57 NEW BEDFORD DRAGWAY NEW BEDFORD MA
57 57 WESTBOROUGH DRAGWAY WESTBOROUGH MA
57 WINTERPORT DRAGWAY WINTERPORT ME
58 93 SHUFFLETOWN DRAGWAY CHARLOTTE NC
58 67 VINELAND SPEEDWAY VINELAND NJ
58 60 MONTGOMERY AIR FORCE BASE MONTGOMERY NY
58 59 LANGHORNE SPEEDWAY LANGHORNE PA
58 59 THOMPSON SPEEDWAY THOMPSON CT
58 LIME ROCK PARK LIME ROCK CT
59 60 WINSTON-SALEM FAIRGROUNDS WINSTON-SALEM NC
59 59 CONCORD DRAGSTRIP CONCORD NC
59 59 DUNKIRK AIRPORT DUNKIRK NY
59 59 HENRIETTA FAIRGROUNDS HENRIETTA NY
59 APPLE VALLEY SPEEDWAY (10th) WILLIAMSON NY
59 SEATTLE INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY EVERETT WA
59 SUNSET DRAGSTRIP SHARON PA
60 69 ASHEVILLE AIRPORT SPEEDWAY ASHEVILLE NC
60 69 ATLANTIC CITY SPEEDWAY PLEASANTVILLE NJ
60 69 BIG C SPEEDWAY CANANDAIGUA NY
60 69 HARMONY RACEWAY HARMONY NJ
60 69 HATFIELD SPEEDWAY HATFIELD PA
60 69 OLD BRIDGE STADIUM OLD BRIDGE NJ
60 69 READING FAIRGROUNDS SPEEDWAY READING PA PA
60 69 SANFORD DRAGWAY SANFORD ME
60 60 PETERSBURG DRAG STRIP PETERSBURG WV
60 ATCO DRAGWAY ATCO NJ
60 DUNN-BENSON DRAGSTRIP BENSON NC
60 ESTA SAFETY PARK DRAGSTRIP BRIDGEPORT NY
60 ISLAND DRAGWAY GREAT MEADOWS NJ
61 86 CONNECTICUT INT'L RACEWAY COLCHESTER CT
61 72 YORK US 30 DRAGWAY YORK PA
61 69 CHARLOTTE MOTOR SPEEDWAY HARRISBURG NC
61 62 ISLIP SPEEDWAY ISLIP, LONG NY
ISLAND
61 BRISTOL INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY BRISTOL TN
61 CAPITOL RACEWAY CROFTON MD
61 LEBANON VALLEY DRAGWAY WEST LEBANON NY
61 SUMERDUCK DRAGWAY CULPEPER VA
62 91 BULLARD'S DRAGWAY WHITEVILLE NC
62 89 CUMBERLAND INT'L DRAGWAY (4th) FAYETTESVILLE NC
62 68 ROXBORO DRAGWAY (dirt) DURHAM NC
62 62 TRI-CITIES DRAGWAY ENDICOTT NY
62 LANCASTER SPEEDWAY BUFFALO NY
62 SOUTH MOUNTAIN DRAGWAY BOILING SPRINGS PA
63 85 VIRGINIA BEACH MOTORSPORTS PRK CREEDS VA
63 69 VARGO DRAGSTRIP PERKASIE PA
63 67 NIAGARA DRAGSTRIP NIAGARA FALLS NY
63 64 POCONO DRAG LODGE BEAR CREEK PA
63 63 EMPORIA DRAGSTRIP EMPORIA VA
63 63 NEW UTICA-ROME SPEEDWAY VERNON NY
63 AVON PARK RACEWAY STRATFORD-ON-AVON GB
63 BRAINERD INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY BRAINERD MN
63 CECIL COUNTY DRAGWAY RISING SUN MD
63 MAPLE GROVE RACEWAY MOHNTON PA
63 MASON-DIXON DRAGWAY HAGERSTOWN MD
63 NEW LONDON DRAGWAY FORREST VA
63 RICHMOND DRAGWAY RICHMOND VA
63 US 13 DRAGWAY DELMAR DE
64 84 CASTLEREAGH INT'L DRAGWAY CASTLEREAGH AU
64 64 ALLENTOWN FAIRGROUNDS (dirt) ALLENTOWN PA
64 64 SOUTH GLEN FALLS DRAGWAY SOUTH GLEN FALLS NY
64 MARYLAND INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY BUDDS CREEK MD
64 NUMIDIA RACEWAY BLOOMSBURG PA
64 OLD BRIDGE RACEWAY PARK ENGLISHTOWN NJ
65 75 DENVER DRAGWAY DENVER CO
65 71 FULTON SPEEDWAY FULTON NY
65 71 PITTSBURGH INT'L DRAGWAY BRIDGEVILLE PA
65 65 DOVER DRAGSTRIP WINGDALE NY
65 FARMINGTON DRAGWAY FARMINGTON NC
65 PORTLAND INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY PORTLAND OR
66 82 STRATO RODS DRAGWAY WRIGHTSTOWN NJ
66 BIG AL'S DRAGWAY RICHLANDS VA
66 NEW ENGLAND DRAGWAY EPPING NH
67 EASTSIDE DRAGWAY WAYNESBORO VA
67 KEYSTONE RACEWAY PARK NEW ALEXANDRIA PA
68 73 SYDNEY INTERNATIONAL DRAGWAY SYDNEY AU
68 ELK CREEK DRAGWAY ELK CREEK VA
69 CALDER PARK RACEWAY KEILOR VIC AU
69 ROCKINGHAM DRAGWAY ROCKINGHAM NC
69 ROXBORO DRAGWAY DURHAM NC
69 SURFERS PARADISE INT'L DRAGWAY SURF. PARADISE AU
QLD
70 79 BRYAR MOTORSPORTS PARK LOUDON NH
70 79 KING'S DRAGWAY SAVANNAH NY
70 79 MERCER DRAGWAY MERCER PA
70 79 NEW YORK NATIONAL DRAGWAY CENTER MORICHES NY
70 79 PETERSON MEMORIAL DRAGWAY ALTOONA PA
70 79 POCONO INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY LONG POND PA
70 73 SAVANNA DRAGWAY SAVANNA AU
70 NEW YORK INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY LEICESTER NY
70 RAVENSWOOD INT'L RACEWAY RAVENSWOOD WA AU
71 BEAVER SPRINGS DRAGWAY BEAVER SPRINGS PA
72 ADELAIDE INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY VIRGINIA SA AU
73 91 SUFFOLK RACEWAY SUFFOLK VA
75 OZARK INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY ROGERSVILLE MO
76 OLD DOMINION SPEEDWAY (8th) MANASSAS VA
76 OXFORD PLAINS SPEEDWAY OXFORD ME
77 YORK DRAGWAY (4th) MELBORNE, YORK GB
77 YORK DRAGWAY (8th) MELBORNE, YORK GB
80 MOROSO MOTORSPORTS PARK PALM BEACH FL
GARDENS
81 89 KINSTON DRAGWAY (4th) KINSTON NC
81 87 SANFORD DRAGWAY SANFORD NC
81 84 EAST BEND DRAGSTRIP EAST BEND NC
81 75-80 DRAG-A-WAY MONROVIA MD
81 COASTAL PLAINS DRAGWAY (4th) JACKSONVILLE NC
81 COASTAL PLAINS DRAGWAY (8th) JACKSONVILLE NC
81 COLONIAL BEACH DRAGWAY COLONIAL BEACH VA
81 FAIRMONT DRAGWAY FAIRMONT WV
81 GRANDVIEW DRAGWAY BECKLEY WV
81 HUDSON DRAGSTRIP HUDSON NC
81 MOORESVILLE DRAGWAY ROWAN NC
81 NORTH WILKESBORO DRAGWAY PARK WILKESBORO NC
81 SHADY SIDE DRAGWAY BOILING SPRINGS NC
82 BREWER'S SPEEDWAY ROCKY MOUNT NC
83 NEW BERN DRAGSTRIP NEW BERN NC
84 DRACHTEN RACEWAY DRACHTEN HOLLAND HO
85 ORAN PARK RACEWAY NARELLAN NSW AU
85 THUNDER VALLEY RACEWAY PARK RED SPRINGS NC
86 MCKENZIE DRAG STRIP HALLSBORO NC
87 BENARABY RACEWAY GLADSTONE QLD AU
87 PRINCETON DRAGWAY PRINCETON WV
89 HARRELLS RACEWAY HARRELLS NC
90 ALASTARO RACEWAY VIRTAA FI
90 CUMBERLAND INT'L DRAGWAY (8th) FAYETTESVILLE NC
90 EASTERN CREEK RACEWAY BLACKTOWN NSW AU
90 KINSTON DRAGWAY (8th) KINSTON NC
90 MOTOPARK RACEWAY VIRTASALMI FI
90 PIEDMONT DRAGWAY (8th) JULIAN NC
90 TRI-RIVER DRAGWAY (300 FT) FORT GAY WV
91 94 SINDAL AIRFIELD SINDAL DENMARK DN
91 ORSA DRAGWAY ORSA SW
92 PITEA DRAGWAY LANGAS SW
93 ALABAMA INTERNATIONAL DRAGWAY STEELE AL
93 DRAG CITY RACEWAY (8th) POCATELLO ID
93 LOWVILLE DRAG RACEWAY LOWVILLE PA
93 NATURAL BRIDGE SPEEDWAY NATURAL BRIDGE VA
93 US 41 INTERNATIONAL DRAGWAY LAKE VILLAGE IN
94 BAKARBY AIRFIELD STOCKHOLM SW
94 COONAWARRA DRAGWAY SOUTH AUSTRALIA AU
94 NORTON DRAGS SAN BERNARDINO CA
94 VIRGINIA MOTORSPORTS PARK DINWIDDIE VA
94 WARRNAMBOOL AERODROME WARRNAMBOOL AU
95 ALTENO (EUROPE) ALTENO EU
95 NORTH WEALD AIRFIELD HARLOW GB
95 OSTERSUND RACEWAY OSTERSUND SW
96 BOLINDERGATAN RACEWAY ESKILTUNA SW
96 DEEP FOREST RACE WAY LANGSELE SW
FLYGPLATS
96 FALKOPINGS FLYGPLATS FALKOPING SW
96 FOTBOLLSGATAN RACEWAY LINDESBERG SW
96 JOHANNISBERGS FLYGPLATS VASTERAS SW

Comet1966 wrote in message
<19980310000...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...

Tjacobsco

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

OK gang l,m now to be kown as SC526
NOW who said Kansas city okla now there is Kansas city
Kansas and Kansas city Mo but no Kansas city ok
there was and still is a Tulsa track that was a National meet trac
long long ago THE NATIONAL CHALLENGE 71???
but meanwhile Great bend is still an active ROUGH track
but ATCO and Pomona are still later sights Pomona was
after Amarillo Texas Partner later TedakaSC526

Mike Schwartz

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98
to Bill Pratt

Bill Pratt wrote:

> Here's what I have on this folks. Looks like Darlington takes the cake. I
> don't have all of history's drag strips listed here. There are several past
> and present strips for which I don't have an opening date. These all were
> excluded from the list. Still, this gives us a neat look. The list is sorted
> by opening date, closing date (descending), track, city, and state.
> Enjoy!
> Bill Pratt
> Drag Racing List Online
> http://www.draglist.com

Bill,

Great list! I have a few corrections and comments for it.

> Oldest Drag Strips
> by DRL Online

> Open Close Track City State

> 54 59 PATERSON DRAGWAY PATERSON NJ

Paterson has been an industrial city for 100's of years. I'm
surprised they ever had the room for a dragstrip. Is the actual
location of that track available? I'm curious as to what may be at
that address now.

> 61 72 YORK US 30 DRAGWAY YORK PA

York definitely was open later than 1972! I raced there myself in
1978. I believe it was open until 1979, as the NHRA Bracket Finals
moved to a new site beginning in 1980.

Change: 64 OLD BRIDGE RACEWAY PARK (4th)
ENGLISHTOWN NJ
^^^^^
NEW: 96 OLD BRIDGE RACEWAY PARK (8th)
ENGLISHTOWN NJ
You need to add the new 1/8th mile track that Raceway park opened
in 1996. It deserves a separate listing as it is physically separate
from the 1/4 mile track.
Also, perhaps the track name should simply be listed as 'Raceway
Park' since it first officially opened as "Madison Township Raceway
Park", but later changed its legal name to "Old Bridge Township
Raceway Park" when the township it is located in changed its name.
It's still the same physical location.

Mike

ps. How about posting a list of the tracks you left off the list? We
may be able to help you fill in some missing dates.

m @ e . n Schwartz Autosport web site:
s a e http://home.earthlink.net/~msautosports
a r t
u t
t h "We're not in the Eighth Dimension.
o l We're over New Jersey!"
s i - Buckaroo Banzai
p n
o k

Wrenchski

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

hey-uh,just because Dick Moroso bought Palm Beach International Raceway and
renamed it after himself doesn't mean it didn't exist-does it?
Wrenchski
If A Little Is Good, Then More Is Better, And Too Much Is Enough!!!!

Bill Pratt

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

Super idea, Mike! I will do it the next time I come up here from home...

Bill Pratt
Drag Racing List Online
http://www.draglist.com

Bill Pratt

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

Hi. Can't remember if I had it on the list or not. I only listed those
tracks for which I had a start date. I have over 300 (probably 400) tracks
total. Mike Schwartz told me I should upload the lot so we all could go over
the list and provide the details. Cool idea, and I will do it tonight if I
can.

Bill Pratt
Drag Racing List Online
http://www.draglist.com

Wrenchski wrote in message
<19980311221...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

RACECARART

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

>Here's what I have on this folks. Looks like Darlington takes the cake. I

Bill, Gang,

This Darlington thing will have to be explained to me. I know NASCAR history
somewhat and never heard of a dragstrip there in 1950.

I never heard of a dragstrip at Lime Rock Park either, that's been a road
course since day one.

Pomona isn't listed either, I still go with Pomona from '52 on, anyone know if
Pomona shut down at any time in it's history?

Great list by the way. York, as mentioned, is not correct with regard to the
closing date listed.

Joel
RACEC...@aol.com

RACECARART

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

> 58 67 VINELAND SPEEDWAY VINELAND NJ<<

Bill,

Vineland, NJ stopped running drags in '65.

Joel
RACEC...@aol.com

Pat Harden

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

Bill Pratt wrote:

> Here's what I have on this folks. Looks like Darlington takes the cake. I
> don't have all of history's drag strips listed here. There are several past
> and present strips for which I don't have an opening date. These all were
> excluded from the list. Still, this gives us a neat look. The list is sorted
> by opening date, closing date (descending), track, city, and state.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Bill Pratt

Hey, Bill - I won't be a happy guy until I see our local strip on your
list - Mission Raceway Park, Mission, B.C., opened 1992.

Thanks, guy!

Pat

gonzo

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

RACECARART wrote:

> >there used to be a strip in Davie, Fla. but I'm not sure of the name.
> >I have a friend that has original flyers of that place, I'll have to ask
> >him.
> >
> Bob, Gang,
>
> I think the name was just Davie. We went there a number of times when I lived
> down there in 1960. My father took us. They alternated with Miami,
> Masters/Amelia Earhart(one and the same right?) We went to both. The
> admission was fifty cents!! All open access once you were in. I have some
> slides from both tracks.
>
> Joel
> RACEC...@aol.com

Joel,Gang,
Amelia Earhart was where I saw my first drag race.
The first track I ever race on was Miami/Hollywood Speedway
which was way out west of Ft.Lauderdale, maybe later developed into the
Davie strip you are speaking of?
You could drag race or attempt the Land Speed Record out on road 84 west
of Cooper City it was two lanes of blacktop heading west into the
Everglades.
I have lived here a long time but I don't remember us calling anything
Davie, well yea.. we called Davie that sometimes.
gonzo

gonzo

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

Joel,
Sorry
I meant maybe the Davie track was later named Miami Hollywood Speedway.
gonzo

gonzo

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

Bob,
Remember going by Pratt and Witney about a hundred miles an hour trying
to get home from West Palm.
Do you remember Ollie Olson, Russ Barfield, Ron Hassel,Jerry Gwyn out at
Palm Beach ?
gonzo

Wheeler

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98
to RACECARART

RACECARART wrote:

> >Here's what I have on this folks. Looks like Darlington takes the cake. I
>
> Bill, Gang,
>
> This Darlington thing will have to be explained to me. I know NASCAR history
> somewhat and never heard of a dragstrip there in 1950.
>
> I never heard of a dragstrip at Lime Rock Park either, that's been a road
> course since day one.
>
> Pomona isn't listed either, I still go with Pomona from '52 on, anyone know if
> Pomona shut down at any time in it's history?
>
> Great list by the way. York, as mentioned, is not correct with regard to the
> closing date listed.
>
> Joel
> RACEC...@aol.com
Where is the list at? Are you saying that Pomona is the oldest drag
strip????????????????

RACECARART

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

Bill Pratt

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

Thanks to Joel and to everyone who contributed so far.

As for Darlington and Lime Rock, I pulled this info out of the National
Speedway Directory (or at least a rough page that the author shared with
me). I cannot confirm or deny the information further than to state that.

I have just pulled in all the new info and I will post a new list in a few
minutes that contains the ENTIRETY of my drag strip lists. Fill in what you
know. By the way, my lists include track records for all the DRL classes.
There is no way these will fit--but if you know some numbers from the
tracks, send 'em along!

Thanks!

Bill

RACECARART wrote in message
<19980311232...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

>Here's what I have on this folks. Looks like Darlington takes the cake. I

Bill, Gang,

Bill Pratt

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

Hi Pat. Got it! BP

RACECARART

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

>I have lived here a long time but I don't remember us calling anything
>Davie, well yea.. we called Davie that sometimes.
>gonzo

Gonzo, Gang,

Davie and Miami were two seperate airport strips in 1960. They ran on
alternating Sundays. Look in one of the older Hot Rods you have where they
list the NHRA sanctioned strips in the back by the club page/NHRA page, the
strips will be listed there.

I spent time all over Lime Rock Park in the late 50's, there was NO dragstrip
there, only road course. They might have run drags on the long straight but I
never heard of it(and we would have around here) and it certainly wasn't
continuous. I seriously doubt the Darlington listing too. They may have run
some drags there that early, but I really doubt it's been continuous there. I
wouldn't trust that source you have Bill. Sounds like they're making a lot of
assumptions and leaps of faith.

The original question here was oldest continuous, sanctioned strip. I still
say Pomona from '52 on.

Joel
RACEC...@aol.com

"NoeTomJ@worl...@worldnet.att.net

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

Hi again,
Maybe someone can confirm this, but I seem to remember a strip in
Helena, AL. that was in operation during the mid 60's. I am trying to
contact some old friends that may still have pictures or at least some
rememberance of this track. I will post what I can dig up.
bye,
T. J.

red...@hotmail.com

May 10, 2014, 4:17:41 PM5/10/14
Did you forget Mo-Kan dragway Asbury, Missouri. Opened in 1962, operated continually since. I'm at Mo-Kan today 5-10-14 for a shootout.

amybo...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2015, 8:25:02 PM3/19/15
Hi Everyone- this may be slightly off topic... the man i love most in the world has a '62 Galaxy, loves hot rods, collects "vintage" tshirts. For his birthday this year, I'm thinking about having a tshirt made (or buying one) with the logo, pic, name of the oldest drag strip in the USA. Good idea?

scott7...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2015, 9:36:27 PM3/31/15
Thornhill in northern Kentucky is the world oldest continuously operated track starting in the early 50s.

gmrrea...@gmail.com

May 14, 2015, 9:12:24 AM5/14/15
I This has got to be on the list and it is now For Sale! http://www.homesforsalekokomo.com/idx/mls-201513556-8672_s_150_w_bunker_hill_in_46914

papab...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2015, 1:22:30 PM11/30/15
On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 9:36:27 PM UTC-4, scott7...@gmail.com wrote:
> Thornhill in northern Kentucky is the world oldest continuously operated track starting in the early 50s.

Thornhill Dragstrip is a family owned and operated drag racing business located in Kenton County, KY.

Thornhill Dragstrip is the world's oldest, CONTINUOUSLY running drag strip.

Legend has it that Thornhill was first built by moonshiners during the prohibition as a dirt airstrip, allowing them to transport their hootch right under the noses of local authority.

Operating on only 6 hours a week since a court noise ordinace, Thornhill has become the little track that could, beating all odds.

mypanh...@aol.com

Jan 25, 2016, 2:51:02 AM1/25/16
On Monday, March 9, 1998 at 4:00:00 AM UTC-4, Comet1966 wrote:
> Question:
> Where is the oldest drag strip in the U.S.? We're talking longevity here. It
> had to open in the 50s and is still running sanctioned drag races.
> Joel? Gonzo? Mr. Pratt? Byron? Anybody? Whatever track it is should get some
> recognition, don't you think? Maybe this question has already been answered in
> HR Magazine or National Dragster.
>
> "Pete" Garramone
> come...@aol.com

Ahh you need to do more research because darlington didn't have a drag strip you posted the oval born date , ODS is the oldest purpus built strip on east coast that closed in 2012 , and colonial beach dragway has been there at least since 1968 it closed in 1980 and reopened 3 years later and still running . Aquasco speedway was the 1st purpus built 1/4 mile on east coast . most track in va were on old airstrips as the ones on west coast . pete i've been all over the us not to every track but we hit alot of them from tracks so long you never made it to the end to tracks so short you took your foot out of the race before the finsh line one in West Virginia rings a bell it was a 1/5 and a river at the end .

mypanh...@aol.com

Feb 9, 2016, 4:22:16 PM2/9/16
On Monday, March 9, 1998 at 4:00:00 AM UTC-4, Comet1966 wrote:
> Question:
> Where is the oldest drag strip in the U.S.? We're talking longevity here. It
> had to open in the 50s and is still running sanctioned drag races.
> Joel? Gonzo? Mr. Pratt? Byron? Anybody? Whatever track it is should get some
> recognition, don't you think? Maybe this question has already been answered in
> HR Magazine or National Dragster.
>
> "Pete" Garramone
> come...@aol.com

pungo , Va. not Pa.

texask...@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2016, 12:38:37 PM4/12/16
On Monday, March 9, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Comet1966 wrote:
> Question:
> Where is the oldest drag strip in the U.S.? We're talking longevity here. It
> had to open in the 50s and is still running sanctioned drag races.
> Joel? Gonzo? Mr. Pratt? Byron? Anybody? Whatever track it is should get some
> recognition, don't you think? Maybe this question has already been answered in
> HR Magazine or National Dragster.
>
> "Pete" Garramone

I believe you will find this little Texas Track to be it...
http://littleriverdragway.com/

msmu...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2017, 12:48:10 PM6/30/17
On Monday, March 9, 1998 at 4:00:00 AM UTC-4, Comet1966 wrote:
> Question:
> Where is the oldest drag strip in the U.S.? We're talking longevity here. It
> had to open in the 50s and is still running sanctioned drag races.
> Joel? Gonzo? Mr. Pratt? Byron? Anybody? Whatever track it is should get some
> recognition, don't you think? Maybe this question has already been answered in
> HR Magazine or National Dragster.
>
> "Pete" Garramone
> come...@aol.com

Thornhill dragstrip in Demosville Ky opened in 1953 and has run continues since.

butterfi...@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2017, 2:40:18 PM8/14/17
Actually if we are tlaking about track that has been open continuously and for the longest, it would be Great Lakes Dragaway in Union Grove/Paris, WI.

http://www.racer.com/ihra/item/141490-nation-s-oldest-running-drag-strip-the-dragaway-is-an-institution

tru...@charter.net

Sep 16, 2017, 10:35:33 PM9/16/17

rober...@hotmail.com

Jan 30, 2019, 11:24:09 AM1/30/19
Has anybody done anymore research on this? I've seen several places claiming to be the oldest continuously operating dragstip but who is the true winner. Bill's list showing Darlington International Speedway is incorrect as that is a circle track. The dragstrip at Darlington wasn't completed until 1976. Hope someone has something on the real oldest drag strip still in operation.

Robert Edgar
rober...@hotmail.com

tbla...@att.net

Feb 9, 2019, 9:33:35 PM2/9/19
On Monday, March 9, 1998 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Comet1966 wrote:
> Question:
> Where is the oldest drag strip in the U.S.? We're talking longevity here. It
> had to open in the 50s and is still running sanctioned drag races.

Great Lakes Dragaway in Paris, Wisconsin opened in 1955 as a purpose-built drag strip, and has run continuously since. There are other sites that opened earlier, but were not drag strips when they opened.