Whatever happened to Brooklyn Heavy?

Robb Lowe

May 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/27/98

Dont know about Brooklyn Heavy, but if you followed Mr. Defeo's writings back
in the Mopar mag days.. he wrote about a street race that took place in 1969
between a Hemi-Dart and a big block Camaro for a TON of money.. < it was
$250,000 I think, maybe more. > The story was a great read.. but of course the
pot was hard to believe.. I mean in 1998 this is STILL alot of money, but then
it was HUGE!!!! Well, many moons after reading this story, I run into someone
who knew of it as well. Sure enough, it was a real deal, he even knew where the
black 68 Hemi Dart was... it won by the way :)
This race took place in NYC, so I am sure BH was there.

-=Robb

Mr. Hemi

May 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/27/98

Duz anybody know the true story of Rufus "Brooklyn Heavy" Boyd? I've
heard several conflicting stories over the years and would like to get
the straight scoop, if you know what I mean....thanks.

Mr. Hemi

Franklin Amiano

May 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/27/98

Mr.Hemi, Gang, When last reported, "Brooklyn Heavy" AKA Rufus Boyd was
a "Guest of the State." It appears the authorities took a dim view of
his "import & distribution" business. Franko

Mr. Hemi

May 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/28/98

Robb:

I'm familiar with the article but was unaware of the outrageous
sum of money involved [even by today's standards]. I'll have to ask
Tony about this story next time I run into him at the track.

Mr. Hemi

Robb Lowe

May 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/28/98

Yeah,,,, I can dig around for the article... maybe post it here... Of the 9
bazillion magazines I have collected over the years, theres only two articles
that stick out as classics. Theres this one, and the one from mid eighties
Popular Hot Rodding about a shelby Mustang and its driver, the car and the
story were called FIREFOX. The 'Stang had every cop-beating gizmo and failsafes
known, and although the story was "fiction" I am sure it mirrored the truth.
The article about the megabuck streetrace really did happen, and from what I
heard it was one of many in that era.

-=Robb

PS - Gonz, I dont know if you caught my post about my future plans to do a
website, but I would love to make the TJ Chronicles the STAR attraction!!!!!

MALIBU RAC

May 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/28/98

Which brings up the next question - What ever happened to Ronald Lyles?

Franklin Amiano

May 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/29/98

On 28 May 1998 15:50:46 GMT, mali...@aol.com (MALIBU RAC) wrote:

>Which brings up the next question - What ever happened to Ronald Lyles?

Malibu, Gang, The details needn't be repeated here. Suffice it to say
Ron Lyles is deceased.....So's Bob Duffy and a coupla others. Franko

Mr. Hemi

May 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/29/98

Franko:

When you mentioned Bob Duffy, I know exactly what you're talkin'
about now.

Mr. Hemi

Franklin Amiano

May 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/29/98

On 27 May 1998 06:05:10 GMT, robb...@aol.com (Robb Lowe) wrote:

>Dont know about Brooklyn Heavy, but if you followed Mr. Defeo's writings back
>in the Mopar mag days.. he wrote about a street race that took place in 1969
>between a Hemi-Dart and a big block Camaro for a TON of money.. < it was
>$250,000 I think, maybe more. > The story was a great read.. but of course the
>pot was hard to believe.. I mean in 1998 this is STILL alot of money, but then
>it was HUGE!!!! Well, many moons after reading this story, I run into someone
>who knew of it as well. Sure enough, it was a real deal, he even knew where the
>black 68 Hemi Dart was... it won by the way :)
> This race took place in NYC, so I am sure BH was there.
>
>-=Robb

Robb, Gang, If memory serves me correctly, That Dart was an ex-Dick
Landy piece. Franko

RACECARART

May 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/29/98

>Robb, Gang, If memory serves me correctly, That Dart was an ex-Dick
>Landy piece. Franko

Franko, Gang,

Not sure about that, I think that Lyles had that Dart while Landy still had
his. The Brooklyn crew was famous for buying ex-name cars though. They had a
few Sox cars, the ex-Nicholson Jerry Harvey SOHC A/FX Mustang, Joe(?) Bambace's
11th Commandement '64 Hemi Plymouth and a few others. I have a magazine
article(by Seymore Balz!!) about the street racin' in Brooklyn at that time and
it shows the Sox and Dyno Don cars.

The Newark, NJ area had a big street race scene also in the early seventies. I
never attended them but a bunch of the guys used to bring their cars out to a
marginal road next to Rt 280 here in Parsippany NJ and test n tune! These cars
never saw a sanctioned strip and thus followed no rules... " run what ya brung"
even if it had not roll bars, blowproof bellhousings and such. We always stood
behind the cars, never next to or down track(?) as they came towards you. The
police never bothered them during test time either.

Joel
RACEC...@aol.com

Per Olof Wedebrand

Jun 19, 2021, 6:15:52 PM6/19/21