Nissan Sentra 93 - jerking while driving

Art Wagner

Nov 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/18/00
Naomi Lloyd wrote:

> Our Nissan Sentra 93 has started to jerk substantially during driving. The
> jerking starts randomly and is fairly extreme - as if car is running out of
> gas. Mechanic says that diagnosing the problem will be too costly - to wait
> until the problem is more persistent. It is not safe driving now, however.
>
> Jerking can be alleviated momentarily by shifting gears or going into
> neutral. Have tried using fluid to alleviate condensation in the fuel tank.
>
> Other recent problems have been excessive need for oil and dampness in the
> back seat that seems to be coming up from under the seat.
>
> Any tips would be greatly appreciated,
>
> Naomi

The jerking is likely a fuel filter that needs replacement.
Need for oil could be a leak or burning oil.
Take the seat out and look under it. Or keep the dog out.
Art

Naomi Lloyd

Nov 18, 2000, 11:59:39 PM11/18/00

Professor

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
Naomi,
I can't agree with your mechanic when he says that you should wait until the
problem worsens. You are correct that this can be a dangerous problem when
in traffic. Now let me clarify. This problem shows itself in the form of a
bucking when driving??? What conditions??? Engine cold or hot, speed most
prevalent, accelerating??. Give us here on the NG more details to work
with...

"Professor"
http://personal.kwom.com/bgriffey/

"Naomi Lloyd" <nll...@home.com> wrote in message

Ramon Reis

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
This might be a shot in the dark, but my altima had he same symptoms and it
ended up being that the hold-down bolt for my distributor cap had come loose
and was wreaking having havoc inside the distributor cap.

open up your distributor cap and take a look. It's worth a try.

"Professor" <bgri...@kwom.com> wrote in message

> Naomi,
> I can't agree with your mechanic when he says that you should wait until
the
> problem worsens. You are correct that this can be a dangerous problem when
> in traffic. Now let me clarify. This problem shows itself in the form of a
> bucking when driving??? What conditions??? Engine cold or hot, speed most
> prevalent, accelerating??. Give us here on the NG more details to work
> with...
>
> --

> "Professor"
> http://personal.kwom.com/bgriffey/

Naomi Lloyd

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
Hi Professor,

Thanks for responding to my post. The bucking seems to be totally
arbitrary. It could start as soon as you start the engine (and at these
times it is difficult to get the engine to start). It could start after
you've been driving for 15 to 20 minutes. It happens both when I'm
accelerating and when I'm decelerating.

Driving in heavy traffic with lots of stops and starts seems to exacerbate
the problem. On a bad day the engine cuts out consistently while idling at
red lights. Yesterday I was having problems and then switched off the
engine for 20 minutes and started up with no problem and had no further
problems getting home. I've found that riding the clutch, when it starts
jerking, also seems to keep it going.

Some days, however, there is no hint of a problem with the engine starting
fine and no bucking. However, in general, the car seems to be a lot more
sluggish.

Yesterday I noticed that if I allowed the bucking to go on for a few
seconds - without changing gear - it stopped bucking, and the car went along
for a while before starting to buck again. The bucking is very violent
however, and not something one wants to sit out.

Any further input to this problem would be greatly appreciated,

Naomi

"Professor" <bgri...@kwom.com> wrote in message

> Naomi,
> I can't agree with your mechanic when he says that you should wait until
the
> problem worsens. You are correct that this can be a dangerous problem when
> in traffic. Now let me clarify. This problem shows itself in the form of a
> bucking when driving??? What conditions??? Engine cold or hot, speed most
> prevalent, accelerating??. Give us here on the NG more details to work
> with...
>
> --

> "Professor"
> http://personal.kwom.com/bgriffey/

Daniel B. Martin

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
> Our Nissan Sentra 93 has started to jerk substantially
> during driving. The jerking starts randomly and is fairly
> extreme - as if car is running out of gas.

1) Examine the inside of the distributor cap. Look for moisture, oil,
signs of cracks or carbon tracking. Look closely at the rotor too.

2) Change the fuel filter. If the problem persists, measure the fuel
pressure.

3) Malfunctions of the Mass Air Sensor, Throttle Position Switch, or Vehicle
Speed Sensor (the one inside the speedo head) might result in these
symptoms.

Daniel B. Martin
Nissan owner and D-I-Y mechanic

Professor

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
Well... it could be many things but the fact that sometimes it doesn't do it
at all leads me to believe that the problem is electrical. I see nothing
wrong with having someone do a little "wire wiggling" preferably near
connectors in the engine compartment while the engine is idling. See if you
can get the engine to stumble or kill reliably by moving a certain
connection. If your careful(so you don't damage the connector detents and
locks), you can even systematically unplug/ replug connectors to attempt to
ensure a good connection. Of course you would do that with the engine off.
Always start with the easy stuff, and work your way up... that's my motto.

> Hi Professor,
>
> Thanks for responding to my post. The bucking seems to be totally
> arbitrary. It could start as soon as you start the engine (and at these
> times it is difficult to get the engine to start). It could start after
> you've been driving for 15 to 20 minutes. It happens both when I'm
> accelerating and when I'm decelerating.
>
> Driving in heavy traffic with lots of stops and starts seems to exacerbate
> the problem. On a bad day the engine cuts out consistently while idling
at
> red lights. Yesterday I was having problems and then switched off the
> engine for 20 minutes and started up with no problem and had no further
> problems getting home. I've found that riding the clutch, when it starts
> jerking, also seems to keep it going.
>
> Some days, however, there is no hint of a problem with the engine starting
> fine and no bucking. However, in general, the car seems to be a lot more
> sluggish.
>
> Yesterday I noticed that if I allowed the bucking to go on for a few
> seconds - without changing gear - it stopped bucking, and the car went
along
> for a while before starting to buck again. The bucking is very violent
> however, and not something one wants to sit out.
>

> Any further input to this problem would be greatly appreciated,
>
> Naomi
>

> "Professor" <bgri...@kwom.com> wrote in message
> > Naomi,
> > I can't agree with your mechanic when he says that you should wait until
> the
> > problem worsens. You are correct that this can be a dangerous problem
when
> > in traffic. Now let me clarify. This problem shows itself in the form of
> > bucking when driving??? What conditions??? Engine cold or hot, speed
most
> > prevalent, accelerating??. Give us here on the NG more details to work
> > with...
> >
> > --

> > "Professor"
> > http://personal.kwom.com/bgriffey/

Art Wagner

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
Naomi;
I can't help but reiterate tat I strongly suspect your problem
to be caused by a clogged fuel filter. I have experienced exactly the
same symptoms on four occasions after I have either gotten dirty fuel
or run out of fuel. The car starts bucking ,cutting out under load
and recovers somewhat when you get off the accelerator pedal. If
you go out of gear it will usually idle OK.
It is a cheap and easy fix and will at least eliminate one possible
source of your troubles.
Art

Naomi Lloyd wrote:

> Hi Professor,
>
> Thanks for responding to my post. The bucking seems to be totally
> arbitrary. It could start as soon as you start the engine (and at these
> times it is difficult to get the engine to start). It could start after
> you've been driving for 15 to 20 minutes. It happens both when I'm
> accelerating and when I'm decelerating.
>
> Driving in heavy traffic with lots of stops and starts seems to exacerbate
> the problem. On a bad day the engine cuts out consistently while idling at
> red lights. Yesterday I was having problems and then switched off the
> engine for 20 minutes and started up with no problem and had no further
> problems getting home. I've found that riding the clutch, when it starts
> jerking, also seems to keep it going.
>
> Some days, however, there is no hint of a problem with the engine starting
> fine and no bucking. However, in general, the car seems to be a lot more
> sluggish.
>
> Yesterday I noticed that if I allowed the bucking to go on for a few
> seconds - without changing gear - it stopped bucking, and the car went along
> for a while before starting to buck again. The bucking is very violent
> however, and not something one wants to sit out.
>

> Any further input to this problem would be greatly appreciated,
>
> Naomi
>

> "Professor" <bgri...@kwom.com> wrote in message
> > Naomi,
> > I can't agree with your mechanic when he says that you should wait until
> the
> > problem worsens. You are correct that this can be a dangerous problem when
> > in traffic. Now let me clarify. This problem shows itself in the form of a
> > bucking when driving??? What conditions??? Engine cold or hot, speed most
> > prevalent, accelerating??. Give us here on the NG more details to work
> > with...
> >
> > --

> > "Professor"
> > http://personal.kwom.com/bgriffey/

Naomi Lloyd

Nov 22, 2000, 12:09:11 AM11/22/00
Thanks for the ongoing responses to my message. I have now replaced the
fuel filter, but it is still bucking. The mechanic "wiggled the wires"
too, but to no effect. I am going to have the distributor cap checked and
have a tune up.

Based on other input I am wondering how accessible the following things are
to check:

- mass air sensor
- throttle position switch
- EGR valve for being clogged
- AAC

Could I ask a mechanic just to check these specific items? I can't afford
endless tests and am hoping something concrete is going to be discovered
soon.

Thanks,

Naomi

"Art Wagner" <awa...@qwest.net> wrote in message

> > Any further input to this problem would be greatly appreciated,
> >
> > Naomi
> >

> > "Professor" <bgri...@kwom.com> wrote in message
> > > Naomi,
> > > I can't agree with your mechanic when he says that you should wait
until
> > the
> > > problem worsens. You are correct that this can be a dangerous problem
when
> > > in traffic. Now let me clarify. This problem shows itself in the form
of a
> > > bucking when driving??? What conditions??? Engine cold or hot, speed
most
> > > prevalent, accelerating??. Give us here on the NG more details to work
> > > with...
> > >
> > > --

> > > "Professor"
> > > http://personal.kwom.com/bgriffey/

Professor

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
You are showing no malfunction codes... right?

"Professor"
http://personal.kwom.com/bgriffey/

"Naomi Lloyd" <nll...@home.com> wrote in message

Daniel B. Martin

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
> ... I am wondering how accessible

> the following things are to check:

> - mass air sensor
> - throttle position switch
> - EGR valve for being clogged
> - AAC

All of these parts are readily accessible.

I doubt the problem is a clogged Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve. The
usual symptom of a clogged EGR is engine pinging.

I doubt the problem is the Auxiliary Air Control. The usual symptom of a
faulty AAC is an idle speed which is too low, and consequent stalling.

Naomi Lloyd

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
No, none of the warning lights have come on. Although the heat gauge does
go up almost 3/4's of the way to high when driving in stop-start traffic.
There is a correlation between the heat of the engine and this problem i.e.
the engine gets hotter as the problem gets worse.

Naomi

> You are showing no malfunction codes... right?
>

> --

> "Professor"
> http://personal.kwom.com/bgriffey/

Professor

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
My gut feeling is that the problem is still electrical in nature. Now think
carefully... When this anomaly occurs... does the engine sputter and go to
some fractional engine power level (like its running out of fuel) or does it
go instantaneously dead with no power at any gas pedal position (like the
ignition totally went away)? Remember that even if the ignition were to go
dead momentarily... since you have a stick shift... the engine would
continue to be turned by the momentum of the vehicle... and when the spark
returned... return to a normal running condition causing a bucking
sensation. Just a side note... with an automatic transmission... depending
on how long the engine disruption was... you might have to engage the
starter and re-start the engine manually. Thus you might experience stalling
instead of bucking with this same problem.

"Professor"
http://personal.kwom.com/bgriffey/

"Naomi Lloyd" <nll...@home.com> wrote in message

RZASIL1977

Nov 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/23/00
Naomi, have you changed the fuel filter on this car? Condensation??? where do
you live? Is the dampness there when you turn on when you first get in the
car, or does ot appear after youve been driving it.

Raul

Naomi Lloyd

Nov 23, 2000, 11:22:33 PM11/23/00
Hi Raul,

Yes I have changed the fuel filter. It had no effect. I do live in a very
rainy area, and there seems to be some dampness coming UP from under the
seats. I haven't pursued this as a cause of the bucking, as I've been told
it is very unlikely that dampness in the back seat has anything to do with
the car bucking,

Naomi

"RZASIL1977" <rzasi...@aol.com> wrote in message

thebestads

Dec 4, 2000, 1:01:13 AM12/4/00
In the past 11 years I've owned 2 cars-- both Sentras. This sounds like a
very frustrating problem I had with my first one. I went through some of
the same checklist items you're going through now, with no results. It
wasn't a serious sputter that would interfere with driving, but it was
annoying. One day when I was having the brakes fixed, I mentioned it to
the guy working on it and he "blew the jets" with some high-pressure air.
This took care of the problem... for a little while. I just had to add
"jet blowing" to my maintanence routine.

Professor <bgri...@kwom.com> wrote in article
<dsZS5.683$34.3...@e420r-sjo3.usenetserver.com>...

Professor

Dec 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/4/00
Jets???? That implies a carburetor.
The car we are talking about has fuel injection...

"Professor"
http://personal.kwom.com/bgriffey/

"thebestads" <n...@bests.com> wrote in message

EJ

Dec 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/5/00
In article <8vgo0s$d28a$1...@newssvr06-en0.news.prodigy.com>,
"Daniel B. Martin" <daniel...@prodigy.net> wrote:
> > ... I am wondering how accessible

> > the following things are to check:
>
> > - mass air sensor
> > - throttle position switch
> > - EGR valve for being clogged
> > - AAC
>
> All of these parts are readily accessible.
>
> I doubt the problem is a clogged Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve.
The
> usual symptom of a clogged EGR is engine pinging.
>
> I doubt the problem is the Auxiliary Air Control. The usual symptom
of a
> faulty AAC is an idle speed which is too low, and consequent stalling.
>
> Daniel B. Martin
> Nissan owner and D-I-Y mechanic

I had a similar problem with my 92 Stanza. Occasionaly it would
hesitate but it would mostly stumble (jerk) when crusing at highway
speed. After reading this forum I had checked that the EGR was not
stuck, replaced spark plugs, replaced the distributor cap and rotor,
checked spark plug wires, etc. all to no avail. Finally in desperation
I took it to the local Nissan dealer. They found that the EGR ports in
the intake manifold were plugged. Cost was $4.95 for a gasket and $195
for labor to do the cleaning. Now the car runs like new except for a
flakey speedometer problem that even a replacement speedo head failed
to fix -- back to the dealer again!
--
EJ

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Daniel B. Martin

Dec 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/5/00
> ... the car runs like new except for a flakey speedometer
> problem that even a replacement speedo head failed to fix ...

Does the odometer fail to advance when the speedometer malfunctions? If
so, you may have a faulty Vehicle Speed Sensor on the transaxle. This part
is less expensive than a speedo head.

EJ

Dec 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/5/00
In article <90iqms$j54$1...@newssvr06-en0.news.prodigy.com>,

"Daniel B. Martin" <daniel...@prodigy.net> wrote:
Daniel, Thanks for the reply and suggestion. Yes the odometer does fail
to advance and the cruise control drops out if it is on when the speedo
goes flakey. This information was given to the dealer service rep and
supposedly the speed sensor was checked. They claim that in most cases
the speed sensor is either good or bad and rarely is flakey! The
service manual for this car shows the speed sensor connected to the
speedometer and the speedometer feeding the cruise control and
engine/transmission control units but I did not see any connections
shown to the odometer-- as if the odometer was part of the speedo head.
However the speedo head was replaced seperate from the odometer. The
odometer on this car sits below and to the left of the speedometer.

Daniel B. Martin

Dec 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/5/00
> They claim that in most cases the speed sensor
> is either good or bad and rarely is flakey!

Three malfunctions are linked: speedometer, odometer, and cruise control.
What do those three things have in common? It is a dependence on the
signal from the transmission-mounted Vehicle Speed Sensor.

EJ

Dec 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/5/00
In article <90j1qq$5age$1...@newssvr06-en0.news.prodigy.com>,

"Daniel B. Martin" <daniel...@prodigy.net> wrote:
Daniel, you are as usual correct and I too strongly suspect the Speed
Sensor. However in this case the speedo head appears to be in SERIES
with the other functions -- the speed signal must be processed by the
speedo head before being sent to the other functions. There is a
printed circuit card with a number of IC's, etc. on the speedo head. So
in this case the speedo head is also common to the other functions. I
will be taking this car back to the dealer later this week and will let
them figure this out. This might also turn out be be a bad connection
somwhere in the wiring harness--- we'll see. Thanks again.