2005 Mini Cooper Convertible Top won't close

Tom

Jul 15, 2006, 2:45:37 PM7/15/06
I have a 2005 Mini Cooper Convertible. Top was down. When the top was
raised, it stopped after pushing the roof frame forward to the
windshield frame. Then it stopped, and the red light started flashing
rapidly. That was repeated again a day later.

This morning, I went to the garage to see if the top could be latched
and sunroof closed manually. I found the screw and turned it according
to the Mini Owners manual. I could not however, figure out how to remove
the cover from the center of the cross-bar so the manual crank could be
used. Three of us worked for almost two hours to decipher the poorly
written instructions in the manual and correlate those to the actual
product and could not figure it out.

Has anybody out there got a suggestion for closing the top for the trip
to the dealer as rain showers in middle America are always a possibility?

TIA for any advice or assistance.

Steve68s remove this bit}@btinternet.com>

Jul 15, 2006, 5:01:08 PM7/15/06

"Tom" <thosp...@usit.net> wrote in message

Its a year old, tell them to come & get it,

Steve.

Fitzy

Jul 15, 2006, 6:05:00 PM7/15/06
Firstly there should be some kind of crank handle, or release mechanism from
the power system,, for this kind of failure,
VW have one, so I assume BMW should have the same ??
secondly I agree with Steve 68s "Tell the dealer to come get it"
call BMW N.A. tell them about your problem, see what they suggest,
Hope this helps, ;-)
and finally,,,,,,,, your in the wrong NG,
Fitzy

"Steve68s" <steve68s(remove this bit}@btinternet.com> wrote in message

madmax

Jul 16, 2006, 2:39:36 AM7/16/06
Fitzy wrote:
> Firstly there should be some kind of crank handle, or release mechanism from
> the power system,, for this kind of failure,
> VW have one, so I assume BMW should have the same ??
> secondly I agree with Steve 68s "Tell the dealer to come get it"
> call BMW N.A. tell them about your problem, see what they suggest,
> Hope this helps, ;-)
> and finally,,,,,,,, your in the wrong NG,
> Fitzy

Some BMW mechanic you are fitzy.

Martin

Jul 16, 2006, 3:45:34 AM7/16/06
Fitzy, That's only cos no one replied in the proper group. Does that sum up
BINI owners! or should we not generalise. i.e. you are an exception to that
rule.

Martin
"Fitzy" <peterfit...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

Barspeed and his magical Mini's

Jul 16, 2006, 9:30:02 AM7/16/06
I have seen in the past that this group offers advice to anyone thats
asking, providing there is the knowledge to help that is.
Think that many Mini owners have a sound basis to help solve problems with
most cars....

"Taffy" <taffy_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Just proves there's no real following for the BINI then really?
>
> Taffy

Brownz (mobile)

Jul 16, 2006, 3:12:42 PM7/16/06
Taffy wrote:
> Just proves there's no real following for the BINI then really?
>
> Taffy

Nope, we're all out driving ours in the lovely sunshine, rather than being
hunched up over the PC at home, fnarrr fnarrr.

Had a lovely weekend, Whitby for Fish n Chips at the Magpie Cafe followed by
a blast round the N.Yorks moors yesterday.
Hospitallity at the British Touring Cars today at Croft.
Just got back, fcuk me have I got one serious case of drivers one armed
suntan .... ;-)

--
Cheerz - Brownz
http://www.brownz.org/

Fitzy

Jul 16, 2006, 4:15:54 PM7/16/06

"Brownz (mobile)" <someo...@microsoft.com> wrote in message
but did you do it in a proper Mini Brownzie,
if not,,,,,,, then you where just traffic mate.... ;-)
Fitzy

Brownz (mobile)

Jul 16, 2006, 7:26:39 PM7/16/06

I did it in a *mini*, which is at the end of the day what counts ;-P

(Tell you what though, I'm glad I had aircon, not just for my sake - I
thought my mum was going to flake out at one point today watching the racing
!)

Madmax

Jul 17, 2006, 9:50:39 AM7/17/06
Taffy wrote:
> Just proves there's no real following for the BINI then really?
>
> Taffy

NO....it just proves that he came to the right newsgroup. Again you are
wrong...there is a bigger following for the BMW mini than there ever was
for the old mini. Just stating fact.
Message has been deleted

Dave Theen

Jul 18, 2006, 7:31:49 PM7/18/06
Taffy wrote:
> Just proves there's no real following for the BINI then really?
>
> Taffy

Taffy, I have had old Mini's since 1969 when I was in high school. I
own 8 of them now including a 61 Van, 60 Morris woody wagon, 64 Austin
Cooper S, 65 Austin 850 deluxe, 69 morris, 70 Pickup, 71 shelled SCCA
Racer, 79 1100 Special. I also own a 2003 Mini Cooper S and a 2006 Mini
Cooper S SCCA race car. If you want to see a following of mini people I
suggest you log on to http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/ and see
how many people are on line at that time. I was just on and there were
865 people on at that time. I love minis, all kinds ( including mini
skirted girls), but the new Mini's are great cars, the old Mini's are
great cars. I don't post much here, but read daily. The bickering that
some of the "old mini" people start in this newsgroup is unbelievable.
Why don't we all behave like adults?

Dave

madmax

Jul 18, 2006, 11:03:40 PM7/18/06

Dave,
You are a good man! Enjoy all of you auto's.

Message has been deleted

Madmax

Jul 19, 2006, 12:13:07 PM7/19/06
Taffy wrote:
> Well many haven't accepted the BMW BINI/MINI in the UK mainly because
> of BMW's attitude really and that's why this newsgroup, like many Mini
> Forums/Clubs here only cater for the real thing 1959-2000.
>
> And most of the bickering is coming from your part of the world too
> Dave, but we're big enough to ignore it much like we ignore BMW and
> it's smallish hatchback.
>
> Taffy

Look who's got the attitude problem. LOLAT

Fitzy

Jul 20, 2006, 6:36:44 PM7/20/06

"Dave Theen" <dave...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Hello Dave,
Fine collection of mini there my friend, obviously started collecting long
before BMW launched the MINI,
I support your choice of vehicles, especially the classics,
but you must agree the two vehicles are completely different,
the only thing they share are the badges,
I do believe there should be two separate news groups,
after all , would you come in to this group with a BMW MINI
question, I don't think so, but most people in this group are what I would
call DIY experts when it comes to classic minis,
and they could advise you on how to take it apart and rebuild it, and throw
in a few tips on how to make it better,
it doesn't matter how many times I hear someone say "they are all minis" I
will still shake my head and say "No" sorry they are totally and completely
different vehicles,
certain people including myself feel that we are defending the group,
afterall , its been here many years before BMW bought
the rights to MINI, and Cooper,
Like I said earlier, I support your choices of vehicles, and this includes
the BMW MINI you own, as its your personal choice,
but it belongs in alt.autos.newmini,

Fitzy

Fitzy

Jul 20, 2006, 10:58:28 PM7/20/06
Well they DO share the same badges, so I guess they should share the
same newsgroup after all.

Fritzy

Message has been deleted

Fitzy

Jul 21, 2006, 1:48:24 PM7/21/06
Taffy wrote:
> Nicely put Fitzy and of course on this newsgroup we generally support
> the Issigonis variety of Mini.
>
> But the BMW hatchback is something completely different and therefore
> has no place here.
>
> Taffy

Taffy,
You are completely different and are still here. If BMW mini's are
bini's then issigonis mini's are sisigonini.

Fitzy

Jul 21, 2006, 4:49:55 PM7/21/06

"Fitzy" <"Fitzy the homo"@shitforbrains.com> wrote in message

Who is Fritzy !!
LOL
Looks like someone with shit for brains is cloning again,
Fitzy

Fitzy

Jul 21, 2006, 4:52:38 PM7/21/06

> Nicely put Fitzy and of course on this newsgroup we generally support
> the Issigonis variety of Mini.
>
> But the BMW hatchback is something completely different and therefore
> has no place here.
>
> Taffy

Spot on there Taff,
Fitzy

Fitzy

Jul 21, 2006, 4:55:09 PM7/21/06

"Fitzy" <Fi...@ukidiot.com> wrote in message

Hmmm,
no signature ?
check the properties,
LOL
shit for brains again,,, KILLFILED
Fitzy

Message has been deleted

Fitzy

Jul 22, 2006, 10:50:47 AM7/22/06

"Fitzy" <peterfit...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
Lets face it !!!
What could a BMW Bini owner/enthusiast possibly gain from
visiting this NG..
Fitzy

Fitzy

Jul 22, 2006, 6:19:25 PM7/22/06
Answers? And fun listening to you girls!

Fitzy

Jul 22, 2006, 6:23:05 PM7/22/06
Taffy wrote:

> Shit for brains Yanky Boy is still hanging around like an unwanted slut
> is he, oh well kill-file the pond life from the other side of the pond
> then everyone!
>
> Taffy

Proud to be a Yanky Boy too! At least I have a full set of teeth! Thank
you for the slut compliment, yes sometimes it is true. I really enjoy
sleeping around with the girls, not you limey sissies though! LOL...

Fizzy

Tim

Jul 23, 2006, 7:51:13 PM7/23/06
hey Fitzy thats my line ! Plagarist! LOL

"Fitzy" <peterfit...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

Fitzy

Jul 24, 2006, 4:47:10 AM7/24/06
I know Tim.......... but is says it all...... a mini is a mini..
and as you say, anything else is just traffic... ;-)
Fitzy

"Tim" <tim_lis(NOSPAM)@clear.net.nz> wrote in message

Tim

Jul 26, 2006, 1:16:43 AM7/26/06
mostly, but Im prepared to modify that to accomodate the Jem of course...and
maybe the 911 I've just bought myself.....been promiseing myself a classic
pre robot one for a while and found a tidy 72 Targa last month with all the
righ attributes!

next problem how do I hide it from the wife LOL!

"Fitzy" <peterfit...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

Nicole

Aug 8, 2016, 8:18:02 AM8/8/16
replying to Tom, Nicole wrote:
What ever ended up happening with your top? I have a 2005mini and the top
won't close. Help!!!

--
for full context, visit http://www.motorsforum.com/mini_cooper/2005-mini-cooper-convertible-top-won-t-close-4609-.htm