1976 XR7, 351M, factory 4 barrel intake question

masoner

Oct 13, 2002, 10:12:28 PM10/13/02
Would like to change my 2 barrel to a 4 barrel.
Have been told a factory 4 barrel intake exists but cannot find one.
Does anyone know if such an animal exist? If so, where can I get one?
If so, what carbs will bolt up directly? I would think any motorcraft 4
barrel carb, but......

Any help appreciated

Mark G. Masoner

Remo von Dach

Oct 14, 2002, 1:11:33 AM10/14/02
As far as I remember, there has never been a factory 4V intake manifold
offered for the 351M engine. But there are many aftermarket units available.
Edlebrock makes a variety of diff. manifolds and I'm shure you will find a
suitable model. They also accomodate a variety of different carbs.

Whole Lotta Tom

Oct 14, 2002, 11:12:11 PM10/14/02
There were no factory 4V intakes for the 351M/400. You can pick up an
Edelbrock Performer 400 on Ebay. There are versions with and without EGR.

--

Tom
TS3

"masoner" <maso...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Mike...@mailcity.com

Oct 15, 2002, 1:32:14 PM10/15/02
I own a 1972 LTD Brougham 2dr HT, that I bought new in November
1971. It has a 400 engine with 4 barrel carb.
Where are you located perhaps we can swap?

mike hunt

Whole Lotta Tom

Oct 15, 2002, 11:19:25 PM10/15/02
Please provide a picture and casting numbers dates and foundry. If you have
what you say you have, I would appreciate documentation, as none currently
exists.

--

Tom
TS3
http://home.earthlink.net/~tcrocker/

<Mike...@mailcity.com> wrote in message

Whole Lotta Tom

Oct 17, 2002, 1:36:43 AM10/17/02
Also, could you provide the engine code and DSO? Was this a custom-ordered
car, or one off the lot? I'd like to know what emissions systems are on the
car, as they are currently undocumented. Any other details with regard to
this rare engine would be appreciated.

--

Tom
TS3
http://home.earthlink.net/~tcrocker/

<Mike...@mailcity.com> wrote in message

masoner

Oct 17, 2002, 10:04:30 PM10/17/02
I got the line on Edelbrock a while back. Nice units. Probably what I'll
end up doing.

I'm located southeast of Birmingham Alabama in an area called Kingdom.

May...@ptdprolog.net

Oct 18, 2002, 1:03:05 PM10/18/02
Are you offering to buy my car? Not many sold with this engine,
it was only available in the 2dr HT Brougham and the Brougham
convertible. The car is in class three condition, 96K, interior
mint, Amron paint 1988. Needs only minor restoration to vinyl
roof and bumpers, guards ok, about $1,200 should bring it to
class one. Best offer so far, $4,500, that's not enough. Ran
out of storage room.

Whole Lotta Tom

Oct 18, 2002, 8:26:12 PM10/18/02

<May...@ptdprolog.net> wrote in message

> Are you offering to buy my car?

What would lead you to think that? I am asking for documentation of an
engine that here to fore has never been substantiated. If you are planning
to sell it, do you not have pictures to advertise it and to authenticate the
engine?

If it's not too much trouble, I would love to have the casting numbers of
the intake, the carb part number, the engine code, etc.

Mike...@mailcity.com

Oct 19, 2002, 1:13:23 PM10/19/02
Why in the world do you think I should go to all that trouble for
you, if you're not interested in buying it?

mike

masoner

Oct 19, 2002, 5:57:32 PM10/19/02
Damn, all I wanted to know was if anyone knew if a factory 4 barrel intake
for my 351M existed.
Reminds me why I blocked you in the first place. Think I'll put you back on
permenant block and leave you there.

<Mike...@mailcity.com> wrote in message

Whole Lotta Tom

Oct 19, 2002, 7:51:45 PM10/19/02
That's right, Masoner. He's a long-time troll.

No, Ford never produced a factory 4V intake for the 351M/400, nor did they
produce an aftermarket version. There was never a factory 400-4V installed
in any vehicle. Never mind the liars.

The Edelbrock Performer is very good for the street. The old Streetmaster
is good, too. The Holley street Dominator is a good one for modified
engines, but it's out of production. Weiand also makes a dual plan like the
Performer.

If you are gonna block mike, keep in mind his many aliases. Here are a few:

BenD...@mailcity.com
"Mike Hunt"@mailcity.com
"Mike Hunter22"@mailcity.com
Lee...@mailcity.com
Ilene...@mailcity.com
May...@ptdprolog.net
"Cal Ripkin"@mailcity.com
Rusm...@lycos.com
Cha...@aol.com
Bil...@aol.com
"Mark Simmons"@aol.com
Mike...@mailcity.com
gilf...@aol.com
jackm...@aol.com
mc...@aol.com
may...@ptdprolog.net
mikeh...@mailcity.com
Melvin...@mailcity.com
"Ted Kopper"@mailcity.com
"Make Spitz"@mailcity.com
"Dusty Rhodes"@mailcity.com
Ja...@mailcity.com

--

Tom
TS3
http://home.earthlink.net/~tcrocker/

"masoner" <maso...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Mike...@mailcity.com

Oct 20, 2002, 10:35:16 AM10/20/02
Well you have your answer. Ford did in fact build a 400
CID engine with a 4V carb in 1972. The 351M is a 400 block and
the IM will fit. It was a late addition in 72, offered in the
LTD Brougham 2dr HT and convertible. You don't need numbers you
can tell by looking at it if it is a 2V or a 4V. The only place
you will get one if you don't want to by mine is in a salvage
yard. Oh and yes, your welcome, and no mine is not for sale

mike

Mike...@mailcity.com

Oct 20, 2002, 10:43:36 AM10/20/02
If you want to present a statement as fact af least say in my
opinion or as far as I know. I have a 4V 400 and another member
of our club has one in a convertible.

How does having the option of logging on from numerous locations
make one a troll? Do I not always sign my NG name? Get life.

Whole Lotta Tom

Oct 20, 2002, 10:59:16 AM10/20/02
There were no Ford Factory produced 400 4Vs.

--

Tom
TS3
http://home.earthlink.net/~tcrocker/

<Mike...@mailcity.com> wrote in message

Whole Lotta Tom

Mark Cook

Oct 28, 2002, 7:49:16 AM10/28/02
Ford never made a factory 4 bbl intake for the 351M/400. You will have
to look to the aftermarket.

Mark

Mark Cook

Oct 28, 2002, 7:56:13 AM10/28/02
Mike...@mailcity.com wrote:

> Well you have your answer. Ford did in fact build a 400
> CID engine with a 4V carb in 1972. The 351M is a 400 block and
> the IM will fit. It was a late addition in 72, offered in the
> LTD Brougham 2dr HT and convertible. You don't need numbers you
> can tell by looking at it if it is a 2V or a 4V.

And know of cast iron 4v intakes for 351W with 351C heads. Doesn't mean
that it is factory. I also have a cast iron 2V intake for 351C 4V heads.
Still doesn't mean it is factory.

> The only place
> you will get one if you don't want to by mine is in a salvage
> yard. Oh and yes, your welcome, and no mine is not for sale

Can't sell something that doesn't exist.

Mark

Mike...@mailcity.com

Oct 28, 2002, 3:22:30 PM10/28/02
I bought the car brand new in May of 1972 and it has a 400 engine
with a 4V carb. The fact YOU are not aware of that, doesn't not
make much difference in the real world.

mike hunt

Whole Lotta Tom

Oct 28, 2002, 7:25:57 PM10/28/02
No one believes you. There were no 4V 400s.

--

Tom
TS3
http://home.earthlink.net/~tcrocker/

<Mike...@mailcity.com> wrote in message

BigJo...@mailcity.com

Oct 28, 2002, 8:22:39 PM10/28/02
You say. But I have one and I know of a second. just
in my local club. I could care less what somebody chooses to
believe.

mike hunt

Whole Lotta Tom

Oct 29, 2002, 7:43:01 PM10/29/02
There were no factory 400s with 4V carbs.

--

Tom
TS3
http://home.earthlink.net/~tcrocker/

<BigJo...@mailcity.com> wrote in message

Mark Cook

Oct 29, 2002, 8:17:49 PM10/29/02
I have worked the in auto parts industry. I have sold countless rebuilt
carburetors, and have never seen a listing for a 351M or 400 with a
factory 4V. My hobby is scouring junkyards for Ford performance part for
some 25 years. I have never seen one.

You seem to be the only one saying that there is one. Where is the proof?

Mark

Mark Cook

Oct 30, 2002, 9:28:46 PM10/30/02
The 1972 nor the 1973 Ford Shop manual list a 400-4V. The only listing
is the engine code "S" for the 400-2v. The Holley nor the Tomco
re-manufactured carburetor catalogs do not list a 400-4V. Chiltons
manual covering 1972-1979 models, no 400-4v. I can go on and on.

You claim to be able to prove otherwise, but refuse. Why?? The only
thing that makes since is you are making it up.

Mark

Mike...@mailcity.com wrote:

> That is because unlike you, I own one and have seen
> at least one other.. Where is your proof that there was never a
> factory 400 with a 4V carb?

Whole Lotta Tom

Oct 30, 2002, 10:24:14 PM10/30/02
He IS making it up. He is, once again, trolling.

--

Tom
TS3
http://home.earthlink.net/~tcrocker/

"Mark Cook" <mc...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

masoner

Nov 4, 2002, 8:54:38 PM11/4/02
Mike,

You have been at the most an annoyance. You are at the least a troll. If
you are not willing to provide the casting numbers, pictures of the carb and
intake, or some other proof of what you claim, then take up residence
beneath a different bridge.

Mark G. Masoner

<BigJo...@mailcity.com> wrote in message

masoner

Nov 4, 2002, 9:03:53 PM11/4/02
Thanks to all who made an intelligent reply to my question, especially those
who provided tangible references. It seems to be a general intelligent
concensus that a FACTORY 4V intake and carb never existed on the 351M/400
engine.

To the troll, "Bite Me" and "Go find another bridge"

Mark G. Masoner

Mike...@mailcity.com

Nov 6, 2002, 7:30:16 PM11/6/02
Perhaps you need to look at a Lincoln parts book? I suppose my
friend with the convertible and I need to up our insurance
coverage and our asking price on our '72 cars, apparently we have
two very rare vehicles 4V 400 V8. LOL

mike hunt

Whole Lotta Tom

Nov 6, 2002, 10:53:17 PM11/6/02
Ford never built production 400 4V engines. Go away, troll.

--

Tom
TS3
http://home.earthlink.net/~tcrocker/

<Mike...@mailcity.com> wrote in message

timki...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2017, 8:17:00 PM11/21/17
Ford did make a cast iron 4 V intake manifold for the 400 6.6L engine it was in second half of 1970 so some were in were in cars in 1971 . The built approximately 12000 if these motors , The put in the Murcury cougar and Montigo then in Ford LTD , Grand Torino and 4x4 f259 pickups most of these vehicles have been scrap and now are high dollar collector vehicles if complete, used to be able to buy these intakes at swap meets and on EBay but now if you do find one the intake alone cost about $5000 .. there also in late 1970’s some brought in from Astralia along with the closed chamber 2v heads these head had 58 cc combustion chambers instead of the 74cc this combo made a very potent motor

bdken...@gmail.com

Dec 13, 2018, 11:06:32 PM12/13/18
My father bought a 1973 LTD Country Squire brand new. It had the trailer tow package and a 400 with a Motorcraft 4bbl carb. From factory. Finding the tune specs for it wasn't easy. Most shop manuals didn't list a 4v. He finally did find a shop manual that included the 400 4v specs. I'm pretty sure I still have that manual. That was one hell of an engine. That big old station wagon would really haul ass. My father took good care of that and all his vehicles. Regular maintenance and didn't run them hard. My uncle on the other hand was into hot rods. He ended up buying that Country Squire and used it to go fishing. Never realized until then how that thing ran. Many times I've been in the passenger seat while it blew by hopped up camaros with ease. All while having fishing poles hanging out the back window. All factory with no mods at all.