What is a fair price for painting a Hyundai Santa Fe 2003?

CRR

May 29, 2015, 3:18:03 PM5/29/15
This 2003 has low mileage but pain is fading and needs to be painted. Please
advise..........

--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/hyundai/what-is-a-fair-price-for-painting-a-hyundai-santa-fe-2003-25619-.htm

Paul in Houston TX

May 29, 2015, 4:10:31 PM5/29/15
CRR wrote:
> This 2003 has low mileage but pain is fading and needs to be painted. Please
> advise..........

From $60 for a gallon of good enamel paint and a brush to the tens of thousands.
How good of a paint job and how much do you want to spend?
Call a paint shop and ask. There must be some in your area of the world.

dsi1

May 29, 2015, 5:28:54 PM5/29/15
On 5/29/2015 9:18 AM, CRR wrote:
> This 2003 has low mileage but pain is fading and needs to be painted.
> Please
> advise..........

You pretty much get what you pay for so I suppose any price you pay
would be a fair price. I think you should expect to pay at least $2000
for a paint job you'd be happy with.

Ed Pawlowski

May 29, 2015, 11:43:16 PM5/29/15
On 5/29/2015 3:18 PM, CRR wrote:
> This 2003 has low mileage but pain is fading and needs to be painted.
> Please
> advise..........

Earl Shieb will paint any car any color for $29.95. I saw the ads not
too long ago.

TomR

May 30, 2015, 12:54:04 PM5/30/15
In news:mkah1e$6ls$1...@dont-email.me,
Paul in Houston TX <Pa...@Houston.Texas> typed:
> CRR wrote:
>> This 2003 has low mileage but pain is fading and needs to be
>> painted. Please advise..........

> From $60 for a gallon of good enamel paint and a brush to the tens of
> thousands. How good of a paint job and how much do you want to spend? . .
> ,

Okay, I have to ask ..., were you being at least partly serious about the
"$60 for a gallon of good enamel paint and a brush" idea?

I am actually being serious in asking this question -- not for my Hyundai
Santa Fe but for my old bomb 1989 GMC Sierra 1500 pickup truck.

I am thinking of painting my old pickup truck -- yes, brush painting it. I
have been doing a little research on this idea, and I am wondering exactly
what type of paint to buy to paint an auto (or, in my case, an old pickup
truck). If I know what type of paint to get, I think that I will just take
a shot at brush painting my pickup truck and seeing what happens.

Or, if you were just joking about the brush painting idea, that's okay.
But, if you were halfway serious, I'd be interested in knowing what type of
paint to buy.

Thanks.

TomR

May 30, 2015, 12:56:48 PM5/30/15
In news:e75aa$5568bb69$41b57997$12...@news.flashnewsgroups.com,
CRR <065b0505594b06f549...@example.com> typed:
> This 2003 has low mileage but pain is fading and needs to be painted.
> Please advise..........

A friend of mine just had his 2002 Plymouth Neon painted by Maaco for just
under $2,000. They had to do some minor body fixups as part of the job.

CRNG

May 30, 2015, 2:01:59 PM5/30/15
On Sat, 30 May 2015 12:54:06 -0400, "TomR" <To...@tomrljp5.lhd> wrote
in <mkcpt3$a8m$1...@dont-email.me>

>Or, if you were just joking about the brush painting idea, that's okay.
>But, if you were halfway serious, I'd be interested in knowing what type of
>paint to buy.

That's an interesting question. Have you tried asking at a paint
store like Sherwyn-Williams?

My guess is that the kind of paint use by a auto body repair shop
wouldn't work with a brush. Maybe you can ask at an auto parts store
where they sell those small touch up paint bottles? Or maybe you can
call the manufacturer of those small touch up paint bottles?

Let us know when you find out.

Paul in Houston TX

May 30, 2015, 4:01:12 PM5/30/15
Absolutely serious.
I know several people here in Houston that have brush painted their vehicles.
Several turned out very nice. One car I could not tell that it was brushed.
Enamel acrylic, alkyd, or epoxy. About $75 per gallon.
Industrial paints are very tough. Dries in about hour in the Texas sun
but takes a week to fully cure. So no driving for a few days.
We use them on industrial equipment but are limited to basic colors.
More initial work and higher material cost leads to a better paint job.
Sand everything with a very fine grade paper and use high bristle count brushes.
Work indoors if possible to stay clean. Use ventilation with alkyd and epoxy paints.
They will chalk if not allowed to cure properly or are mixed wrong.

I would not bother talking to an ordinary paint store.
Contact a pro. There are companies here in Houston that specialize in
industrial painting and paint systems and have been a wealth of info.

Paul in Houston TX

May 30, 2015, 4:01:54 PM5/30/15
Yah, I remember those ads from when I lived in Ohio.

Voyager

May 30, 2015, 6:21:39 PM5/30/15
My grandfather brush painted an old car many moons ago Looked like
crap, but kept the rust at bay. It all depends on your objectives. If
you just want to prevent rust, then a brush gets the job done!

Partner

May 30, 2015, 8:09:20 PM5/30/15
I wouldn't think 2002 Plymouth Neon would be worth $2000.

TomR

Jun 1, 2015, 12:41:37 PM6/1/15
In news:SJqax.13440$FK....@fx13.iad,
Voyager <m.wh...@computer.org> typed:
> TomR wrote:
>> In news:mkah1e$6ls$1...@dont-email.me,
>> Paul in Houston TX <Pa...@Houston.Texas> typed:
>>
>>> From $60 for a gallon of good enamel paint and a brush to the tens
>>> of thousands. How good of a paint job and how much do you want to
>>> spend? . . ,
>>
>> Okay, I have to ask ..., were you being at least partly serious
>> about the "$60 for a gallon of good enamel paint and a brush" idea?
>>
>> I am actually being serious in asking this question -- not for my
>> Hyundai Santa Fe but for my old bomb 1989 GMC Sierra 1500 pickup
>> truck. I am thinking of painting my old pickup truck -- yes, brush
>> painting
>> it. I have been doing a little research on this idea, and I am
>> wondering exactly what type of paint to buy to paint an auto (or, in
>> my case, an old pickup truck). If I know what type of paint to get,
>> I think that I will just take a shot at brush painting my pickup
>> truck and seeing what happens. Or, if you were just joking about the
>> brush painting idea, that's
>> okay. But, if you were halfway serious, I'd be interested in knowing
>> what type of paint to buy.

> My grandfather brush painted an old car many moons ago Looked like
> crap, but kept the rust at bay. It all depends on your objectives. If you
> just want to prevent rust, then a brush gets the job done!

Yes, that's the plan -- mostly just to get this old pickup to be all one
color. Right now it is red, white, and blue -- meaning red hood and front,
white pickup bed, a dark blue door, etc. It is supposed to be a red pickup
truck, so I'll probably just paint it all red. I think I'll check out
acrylic enamel and try it with that..

TomR

Jun 1, 2015, 12:43:46 PM6/1/15
In news:mkd4rv$kpq$1...@dont-email.me,
Thanks again. I think I'll just give it a try with acrylic enamel paint and
see what happens.