Are there sun roof drains on '08 fusion?

Fred

Sep 1, 2009, 7:30:27 PM9/1/09
Hi

I have a '08 fusion with the sunroof. I was wondering... If I left it open
in
the rear tilt-up position and forgot to close it and it rained, would there
be drain
holes for the water to get out?
My old '89 mustang had drains holes that led to tubes than ran down to the
bottom
of the car. I never had to worry if I didn't close the roof as any water
would drain
away. But I don't know about this one because I see no mention in the manual
and
I can't see any obvious drain holes.
Obviously no drain holes would work if I left it in the full slide-open
position.
It would be
nice if one of Ford's better ideas was to put in a rain sensor to close it
if it rains.

Fred
.

Jeff

Sep 1, 2009, 10:00:35 PM9/1/09

The only problem is that the water will splash into the car if there
is a heavy rain.

Jeff

Fred

Sep 3, 2009, 5:40:46 AM9/3/09
Hi Jeff

So there is a drain system?

Fred

"Jeff" <jeff...@gmail.com> wrote in message

SC Tom

Sep 3, 2009, 8:31:47 AM9/3/09
Fred,
I don't know for certain, but I can't imagine that there aren't drains. I
don't remember ever seeing a car with factory moonroof not having them (not
saying there aren't any; I just haven't seen one). My '89 Probe had them,
and my '02 Escape has four- two in the front that drain through the
windshield pillars, and two in the rear of the panel that drain down through
the center door pillars.
Get yourself a bath towel and a measuring cup. Pour about a cup of water in
the drip tray and see if it drains out underneath the car. If it doesn't,
there either aren't any or they're clogged, and you can sop it up with the
towel without soaking your car. Better to find out this way than to
inadvertently leave it open and you get dumped on.

SC Tom

"Fred" <fre...@optimum.net> wrote in message

Jim Warman

Sep 3, 2009, 2:01:23 PM9/3/09
There are four drain hoses on the 2008 Fusion roof opening panel. On all the
"moon roof" systems I have seen, the panel seals to the interior of the
car - not to the exterior - this makes adequate drainage mandatory. If you
are fucking goofy enough to leave the roof open, expect to get a wet ass...

Now... you can take my word for it - my source of information is section
501-17 Roof Opening Panel in the 2008 factory WSM... or you can part with a
few bucks a www.helminc.com for your very own WSM.

Fred

Sep 3, 2009, 7:44:09 PM9/3/09

I was thinking at first that since this type sun roof can both slide open
all the way or tilt up, that they probably eliminated the drains for some
sort of cost savings thinking the
owner would always close it.
On my old '89 mustang you physically had to take out the window if you
wanted
it fully open. It was a bother, but you do gain a lot more head room over
this slide-
in-the roof style.
I will have to have another look in there with a flashlight and a mirror and
see
what I can see. You sure can't see anything just looking in there from the
outside.

Fred

"Jim Warman" <mech...@telusplanet.net> wrote in message

SC Tom

Sep 4, 2009, 6:29:32 AM9/4/09
That's the way my Escape moonroof works. With it open all the way, look
about an inch back from the corner. Mine's semi-hidden by the shield, but it
can be seen.

SC Tom

"Fred" <fre...@optimum.net> wrote in message

Mike

Sep 5, 2009, 1:41:53 PM9/5/09
ALL sun roof have drain holes. FACTORY installed sun roof have gutters,
formed into the roof, that collect rain and drain it down via the "A"
pillar.

AFTER MARKET sun roofs do NOT have gutters formed into the roof to collect
rain, since the fitter simply cuts a hole into roof and installs a grommet
that has as built in channel to drain rain via a tube down via the "A"
pillar.

The difference is important! Water that gets under the rubber on AFTER
MARKET sun roofs
will run inside the vehicle. Water that gets under the rubber molding on
FACTORY installed sun roof WILL run into the gutters.

There are after market sensors available to close sun roofs when the rain
water closes the circuit. They can be installed for windows, convertibles
as well as to make the wiper come on if the vehicle is in motion..

"red" <fre...@optimum.net> wrote in message

Fred

Sep 19, 2009, 6:25:34 PM9/19/09
I finally got around to doing some investigating. I do see the 4 drain hoses
in my workshop manual. They must be routed to catch water that goes through
4 little holes I barely see (2 on each side) that must go down to a some
sort of trough that must lead to openings that go to the hoses. The manual
doesn't show where the hoses end up though. I will have to do some more
exploratory work to find them.

Fred

"SC Tom" <s...@tom.net> wrote in message