Flathead Ford Fuel Pump HELP!!!

ALPHOSE DICIOLLA J R

Mar 26, 2002, 11:24:08 AM3/26/02
Hello fellow Flatheaders: I am replacing the orig.. single action mech.
fuel pump on my 51 8ba Ford flathead V8.... Can anyone tell me if I need to
replace the push rod also. I was told by an "oldster" that they wear and
can cause fuel pump irregularities. Is there a spec on the min. length of
the push rod to check for wear? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RPalmer392

Mar 27, 2002, 6:20:04 PM3/27/02
They do wear but if it is bad enough to need replace you ban see the wear. A
little bit won't make a difference really. If you want to feel safe and who
knows how many miles are on it, order a new shaft. There are many places for
flathead parts. Rick

bia...@attglobal.net

Mar 27, 2002, 8:24:29 PM3/27/02
This question came up on the flathead forum (@yahoo).
It seemed like there was at least 3 different lengths.
Seems like you just have to verify that you get enough
offset at the pump to do it's job.
Regards, FXS

Custom Rides

Mar 27, 2002, 10:13:29 PM3/27/02
Just a note : Check your cam lobe... I put three pumps on before I thought
to do this. Found the cam lobe was history . I`ve heard since that it was
common and thats why so many of these engine are found with electric pumps
on them these days.
Just my 2 cents.
Keep the change.

<bia...@attglobal.net> wrote in message news:3ca27...@news1.prserv.net...

---

antispam@flash.net Bill Nelson

Mar 29, 2002, 12:45:36 PM3/29/02
Check to make sure that the cam lobe that drives the fuel pump has enough
throw. The lobe is as likely to wear as the push rod. I would manually
operate the pump with my thumb and see how far it has to travel to cause the
pump to pump. Then put the push rod in and rotate the engine and see if the
push rod has at least enough travel to operate the pump. If it doesn't have
enough travel then you will have to replace the cam shaft or weld and
regrind it. I am not sure how to check the pushrod length other than by
trial and error after making sure the cam lobe isn't worn.
Bill
"ALPHOSE DICIOLLA J R" <alphon...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

LAI...@webtv.net

Mar 31, 2002, 11:08:38 PM3/31/02
I can remember buying little shim caps
for the fuel pump push rod. About 20¢
a piece...Cheap alternative rather than
buying a $5.00 fuel pump....1950s prices.
Dan
Milw WI

jp.ente...@gmail.com

May 3, 2017, 9:57:00 PM5/3/17