Fiero Towing - Questions!

Nate Sestrich

Jun 22, 2004, 10:14:31 PM6/22/04
Hey guys,

Im sure someone has had a similar problem to this one, and Im trying to
find the cheapest way around it. I want to tow my 87 Fiero GT approximately
6 hours from my home. I understand that I can rent a car-dolly from Uhaul
to take it to my destination. However, I have nothing to tow it with. So
Im essentially looking for a solution to finding a tow vehicle to take my
Fiero out to Ohio.

Ive checked on Uhaul and Penske's sites, and their prices for a truck +
trailer combination are insane. Im not paying $400 one way for a trip that
I would have to seek a return ride home on. Plus, I dont need a fully size
10' box truck, and they wont rent out their GMC 1-ton vans for out of town
use! I dont mind a one-way rental with a buddy to bring me back in his car,
however the prices that Uhaul and Penske want for a truck is just retarded.
I was thinking of renting a passenger truck or cargo van from say
Enterprise, but I dont know their policies on towing with their rented
vehicles (their prices are VERY fair for a round trip, so it would be a
great combination with a Uhaul trailer, I can come home by myself in my
rented vehicle). Im only 24 so I know my rental options are limited to a
few places (alot wont rent to under 25).

Anyone dealt with this before and can offer up a plan? I really dont
know anyone that has any sort of vehicle capable of towing a Fiero that
distance, and the only truck I have access to is being used the week that I
would need it (plus its kinda shoddy and Id be too concerned about it even
making it towing a Fiero's weight and having 140k miles on it). I was
really hoping one of you Fiero guys out there has dealt with something like
this before. I realize I can go with Uhaul completely and it would be easy,
but Im not totally made of money. If I can save $150-200 or so its well
worth renting at two seperate places. Ive never rented a vehicle before, so
this is totally new to me. Someone please push me in the right
direction!!!!

Thanks guys,
Nate

Skip Gundlach

Jun 23, 2004, 10:27:49 PM6/23/04
I'm not sure this is responsive to your situation - I *think* I see your
willingness to go round-trip. That is, you're willing to drive a truck and
dolly from here to there and unload the dolly and drive back again.

I'd use U-Haul's smallest truck at 19.95 a day, and their dolly at similar
prices. Tell them anything about how you're going to use it that sounds ok.
Tell them you've got a classic 85 Cavalier (they won't let you take a dolly
for a Fiero, usually) you're going to be hauling around to enthusiast meets
for the length of time it would take you to do the drive/drop/return.

I've done just that with a trailer full of boats when the tow vehicle died -
I left the tow vehicle to be repaired, and drove the trailer to the
convention I was working, and then brought it back...

L8R

Skip, original left balow for context

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

"Nate Sestrich" <big...@atlanticbb.net> wrote in message

Mr Potatohead

Jun 23, 2004, 11:39:57 PM6/23/04
Skip Gundlach wrote:
> I'm not sure this is responsive to your situation - I *think* I see your
> willingness to go round-trip. That is, you're willing to drive a truck and
> dolly from here to there and unload the dolly and drive back again.
>
> I'd use U-Haul's smallest truck at 19.95 a day, and their dolly at similar
> prices. Tell them anything about how you're going to use it that sounds ok.
> Tell them you've got a classic 85 Cavalier (they won't let you take a dolly
> for a Fiero, usually) you're going to be hauling around to enthusiast meets
> for the length of time it would take you to do the drive/drop/return.
>
> I've done just that with a trailer full of boats when the tow vehicle died -
> I left the tow vehicle to be repaired, and drove the trailer to the
> convention I was working, and then brought it back...

And speaking of boats... I figured you would be bobbing around on the
bounding main by now. What gives, Skip[per]?

Skip Gundlach

Jun 24, 2004, 11:58:20 AM6/24/04
Hiya, Tater, and thanks for asking. Original left for context on towing,
below. On topic stuff, first:

> And speaking of boats... I figured you would be bobbing around on the
> bounding main by now. What gives, Skip[per]?

Our Fieros are all for sale in the Atlanta area. None have been advertised,
and all are lightly driven regularly (that is, they don't just sit, but
they're also not commuters).

1987 Coupe C'Ol Blue (previously New Blue [as the replacement for 'Ol Blue,
the way we became acquainted in this group long ago, leading to Ed Parks
taking it to his place until I found someplace to put the running gear], but
discovered to have icy Air when I thought it to be a strictly plain jane
Duke Isuzu coupe). Obtained from someone joining a mailing list solely for
the purpose of selling it, he disappeared shortly later. Semi ratty inside
(seat covers over a non-Fiero driver and Fiero passenger seat, non-Fiero
Pontiac taller steering wheel with non-breakable paddles, droopy headliner,
etc.). OK aftermarket electric blue paint job with peeling clear coat in
all the usual places. Currently shod with sawtooth 14" and GTII with
several more thousand useful miles. Backed up with NEW "normal" performance
tires and chromed wheels I took off just after putting on the new-to-the-car
tires and wheels obtained from a GAFieroClub member. Full maintenance
records since bought about 25k ago. This is my driver of choice for touring
or longer trips. Quiet, comfortable, I took it on all but the first two of
my boat-looking trips, putting probably 15k long-distance miles on it over
several months. New lifetime entire front brake system, new shoes on
Baretta replacement on the rear, new Napa lifetime starter, new clutch, new
serpentine and spare. Rodney shifter with 8-Ball head. Has a nuisance
feature I've never bothered to track down, as all of my theories, developed
one at a time, proved wrong: I cannot reliably duplicate it; it happens
only very irregularly. It sometimes will stop running for no reason I can
find, particularly at a stoplight if I've just come off the interstate.
Turning the key off and on again and either using the starter (or the
clutch, if I've been going down the road at the time), restarts it every
time. More on that if anyone's interested, but since it always responds to
key cycling, I've given up trying to track it down. Prior owner claimed a
new engine at the time, but I don't think so. However, it runs fine, or I
wouldn't take it on multi-state trips on the drop of a hat. Figure a grand
will take it.

1986 Winged SE Purple People Eater with a sunroof, bought 3 years plus one
week ago from a correspondent to this list who was here only to sell it
Drove up to PA to get it, pulled it home and took it to Ed's where it had
about 4k of work done on it (all poly and new shocks/struts, new air, etc.).
Did a great deal of tracking down of its history, including clean Carfax,
and know lots about it, but it's the same color as the back cover of Purple
Rain - *very* noticeable, anywhere you go. Previously black. Getrag 5sp,
new clutch and engine swap recently, I've got pix of the odo at 123456.7
:{)) Sunroof, electric windows, aftermarket Blaupunkt CD removeable face
stereo /CD Seats had very nice original covers which were weak and tore in
the process of my shampooing. New, next to unused passenger seat and
no-tears interior from 'Ol Blue come with it. It should have a new battery
tray, but the battery itself is new. Aftermarket very nice Elite
flat-5-blade wheels, new Kelly Springfield rotation-specific performance
tires. New radiator, belts and spares, recent tuneup and AIC, Module, Coil.
In keeping with the One-Eyed, One-Horned theme, I've never bothered to
install my air horns (there's the business end there already, from the prior
owner - it would need a compressor) so it has a single-tone horn, and one of
the lights currently needs a Rodney motor rebuild, ditto. Those are the
only mechanical challenges in this car. I drove it on one of the Florida
circumnavigations in my boat search and would not hesitate to take it again,
with no more prep than a turn of a key. All maintenance records since
bought, and investigation showed that PPE owner was religious about it,
too - but, I've put in an engine since then, so that part's probably
irrelevant :{)) Tester for the Run For The Hills 8 route last year, it got
several trips on the Tail of the Dragon. Fantastic performance-oriented
car. Figure $2500 will take it.

1986 GT, Ms. America (see archives of a couple of years ago for the story of
" 'Ol Blue goes for a ride" to see how this transformed from the
All-American, Red White and Blue), white, sunroof, no wing. All the
interior options and a Pontiac CD retrofit driving the factory subwoofer
system, since replaced with a RodneyWoof. Usual ratty suede but otherwise
ok interior. Newish performance tires on standard GT wheels, and the
headlamp motors were rebuilt by Lydia herself, with my minimal supervision
(mostly to answer questions). This started life as a dead-engined
automatic. Lots of offers to buy it from it us as it was - including Ed
Parks - declined, we instead hauled it to Ed, and had him do a gender
transplant, taking my running gear (newish clutch on 4spd and newish SS
exhaust on 143k religiously maintained-from-new 2.8) from 'Ol Blue and
putting it into Whitey. At the same time he did various other upgrades,
including new air, etc. Since then it's Lydia's daily driver, 1 mile each
way to and from work and lunch plus ~200 miles each weekend to come play
married as we are but not yet living together. Lube, oil, filter and
rotate/balance every 3k, very receint water pump, master and slave on the
clutch. Like most 4speed 2.8s, it runs like a scalded cat. Lydia regularly
pushes the "fast" set in the RFTH which happens in our backyards (just up
the road from me RFTH 7 and 9, just up the road from her RRFTH 8), so you
can figure it's a performer... Currently needs a front manifold (the usual
leak) and probably a tuneup. We've been so busy we've not even been to the
GAFiero meets for about a year, so have not met up with our local wizrd to
take that on. Presume that's done, however; expect that something between
$2500-3k will take it (I have not consulted Lydia to know exactly, yet).

Interested parties please contact me directly, as I've not had time to keep
up with the lists/forum. We've been so snowed under that we've not even
been able to go to the last two swap meets.

Now, to your question:

I'm about 10 days into redo-the-prior-that-didn't-work shoulder surgery
recovery; my post-op visit is Tuesday. Assuming all is well, there will be
another 4 weeks after that of strictly passive exercise to allow all the
repairs in the muscles and tendons and bones to heal, followed by rehab
Physical Therapy. That will of necessity delay our departure, as we're
doing this strictly to restore full function to my arm, and the prognosis
(standard to this operation) is for 6 months of PT with the potential for
noticeable improvement over up to 18 months. In the meantime, in addition
to all the rolling stock, we're selling off the floating stock and the real
estate. Just emptying my house is a real challenge, as I've accumulated
over 40 years of independent living, but there's interest in all of the
above, so we have every confidence that it will all come together in good
time.

Generally speaking, we're now expecting some time just after the first of
the year. However, my post-op is so stunningly better than the prior
experience that I'm hopeful that we might be able to advance that somewhat.

Thanks again for asking, and stay tuned!

L8R

Skip and Lydia

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig
http://tinyurl.com/384p2

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

"Mr Potatohead" <boz...@cox.net> wrote in message

Nate Sestrich

Jun 26, 2004, 12:42:17 AM6/26/04
Im not really sure I get what you mean.... =) Sorry if Im being a
doorknob. I goto Uhaul, tell them that Im towing an 85 Cavalier to a
enthusiast meeting to drop it off and coming home?? I WANT to have a
vehicle to drive round trip so I can do it on my own without having to have
someone else take time off to do it with me. I cant afford to pay the $485
quote to take it to Ohio, but at the same time I REALLY need to get this car
out there soon. Please feel free to post here or email back! =)

As far as the tow vehicle dying... was that due to you hauling a Fiero's
weigh or just the luck (or UNluck) of having a crappy tow vehicle die on
you? Im not totally sure I get what you are getting at with that second
paragraph. You were towing a trailer, then the tow vehicle died and you
drove the trailer to your destination? Maybe its just too late in the
evening for me to get it. =) Ive been up since 7am. This does sound like
a plan, please elaborate!

Thanks man,
Nate

"Skip Gundlach" <skip.sez.remove.th...@engr.uga.edu> wrote in
message news:GKmdndxeOoG...@adelphia.com...

Mr Potatohead

Jun 26, 2004, 9:07:31 AM6/26/04
Nate Sestrich wrote:

> Im not really sure I get what you mean.... =) Sorry if Im being a
> doorknob. I goto Uhaul, tell them that Im towing an 85 Cavalier to a
> enthusiast meeting to drop it off and coming home?? I WANT to have a
> vehicle to drive round trip so I can do it on my own without having to have
> someone else take time off to do it with me. I cant afford to pay the $485
> quote to take it to Ohio, but at the same time I REALLY need to get this car
> out there soon. Please feel free to post here or email back! =)

I think he's saying rent a small van, the smallest one they will let you
drag a dolly with. Rent both van and dolly for the day and round trip.
Dropping off the dolly at the destination or hauling it back is up to
you. But daily rental of a truck is cheaper if you return it to where
you got it.

If this applies to your situation, it seems reasonable. On the other
hand, if you are staying there where the car is going, it needs
modification.

You have to say a Cavalier or other kind of NORMAL clearance car as they
don't think you can haul a Fiero drive wheels up without damaging it...
something Ed Parks at Fiero factory has proved wrong thousands of times.

Skip Gundlach

Jun 26, 2004, 11:00:14 AM6/26/04
Tater pretty well summed it up, but I'll respond, anyway, to the other
parts...

> Im not really sure I get what you mean.... =) Sorry if Im being a

Not a problem...

> doorknob. I goto Uhaul, tell them that Im towing an 85 Cavalier to a
> enthusiast meeting to drop it off and coming home?? I WANT to have a

No, not quite. Give the impression that you're going to be doing this all
around town, you need a litttle truck to carry supplies, and will need it
for more than just a day (most dolly rentals are to get something from one
place to another, which normally wouldn't take more than a day) because of
all the places you'll want to go. Tater addressed the the Cavalier vs
Fiero.

> vehicle to drive round trip so I can do it on my own without having to
have
> someone else take time off to do it with me. I cant afford to pay the
$485
> quote to take it to Ohio, but at the same time I REALLY need to get this
car
> out there soon. Please feel free to post here or email back! =)

One way is a bugger unless you happen to be going to a magnet city - one
where they *really* need stuff - in which case it can be very inexpensive.
However, you may have seen UHaul trucks going down the road with big stacks
of their gear on them - it's to relocate to places where there's lots of
leaving, but not much coming...

In your case, you're not talking about "round trip" - you're talking about
"local", which is much less expensive, because you're paying by the day
rather than by the trip. The fact that your local driving may include many
hundreds of miles is irrelevant to the rental. They get the gear back where
it came from, so to them, it's a local rental. So, don't tell them you're
going cross-country. Just tell them you'll need it for X days.

> As far as the tow vehicle dying... was that due to you hauling a Fiero's
> weigh or just the luck (or UNluck) of having a crappy tow vehicle die on

It wasn't Fiero related at all - though I have towed Fieros many hundreds of
miles on UHaul dollies. In this case, it was a Dodge Ram Diesel Manual,
which manual stuck in 5th gear (no movement in or out of that gear). I was
pulling a large enclosed trailer full of rowing shells, from Orlando FL to
Detroit. It broke down in Kentucky, fortunately near a dealer, and I
dropped the trailer at a motel, got the truck to the dealer, who gave me a
ride to the UHaul place which provided the "local" truck to go to Detroit
and back.

> you? Im not totally sure I get what you are getting at with that second
> paragraph. You were towing a trailer, then the tow vehicle died and you
> drove the trailer to your destination? Maybe its just too late in the
> evening for me to get it. =) Ive been up since 7am. This does sound
like
> a plan, please elaborate!

> Thanks man,
> Nate

There you go, and you're welcome. Don't feel the least bit bashful about
coloring your circumstances to UHaul. All they care about is getting the
gear back where it came from, though they *might* - if it served your
interests - allow you to drop it at a different location locally.

L8R, Dood :{))

Skip, still with three for sale

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig

"And then again, when you sit at the helm of your little ship on a
clear night, and gaze at the countless stars overhead, and realize
that you are quite alone on a great, wide sea, it is apt to occur to
you that in the general scheme of things you are merely an
insignificant speck on the surface of the ocean; and are not nearly
so important or as self-sufficient as you thought you were. Which is
an exceedingly wholesome thought, and one that may effect a
permanent change in your deportment that will be greatly appreciated
by your friends." - James S. Pitkin

Skip Gundlach

Jun 28, 2004, 1:24:26 PM6/28/04
Update, original left below for reference:

Purple People Eater is sold. Likely Lydia will want 3k for Ms. America,
post the minor repairs identified, or perhaps, if someone just has to have
it earlier, make a minor adjustment for that. Most likely C'Ol Blue is
worth more than the grand asked, but we're looking to lighten our load, not
achieve the best pricing so we'll let that stick even though there's
considerably more than that in recent upgrades...

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig
http://tinyurl.com/384p2

"And then again, when you sit at the helm of your little ship on a

clear night, and gaze at the countless stars overhead, and realize
that you are quite alone on a great, wide sea, it is apt to occur to
you that in the general scheme of things you are merely an
insignificant speck on the surface of the ocean; and are not nearly
so important or as self-sufficient as you thought you were. Which is
an exceedingly wholesome thought, and one that may effect a
permanent change in your deportment that will be greatly appreciated
by your friends." - James S. Pitkin

"Skip Gundlach" <skip.sez.remove.th...@engr.uga.edu> wrote in
message news:h6CdncF3Are...@adelphia.com...

Mr Potatohead

Jun 28, 2004, 3:19:14 PM6/28/04
Skip Gundlach wrote:

> Purple People Eater is sold. Likely Lydia will want 3k for Ms. America,
> post the minor repairs identified, or perhaps, if someone just has to have
> it earlier, make a minor adjustment for that. Most likely C'Ol Blue is
> worth more than the grand asked, but we're looking to lighten our load, not
> achieve the best pricing so we'll let that stick even though there's
> considerably more than that in recent upgrades...

I am interested in lightening my load as well. I am listing all my cars
and hope that someone might choose from the list one that interests him.
They are all in Rhode Island [little mapstain in northeastern US, for
the geography-challenged] and can be delivered locally or driven over
long distances --- unless otherwise noted. These are northern cars,
expect a little rust but nothing bad enough to cause problems. Selling
any or all of them because I do not need 5 cars and a pickup truck.

Also if anyone is interested in a restorable El Camino, I can find out
more. Car runs but no longer registered.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1986 Fiero GT. red. 5-speed Getrag. All options available are in this
car. This was bought wrecked and put back together at the Fiero Factory.
All it really needs is a paint job and an A/C tuneup. We don't need A/C
here -- at least I never have. Interior is fine with usual bolster
wearthru. Nearly new matched tires. A truly beautiful running engine --
has been my daily driver lately. New Ocelot exhaust last year. Not my
favorite for selling, but it is a very nice car and I'll part with it
for a special buyer. 140K miles. Uses NO oil and handily passed
emissions inspection. Drive it home.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1986 Fiero GT, black. 4-speed. No power mirrors, but about everything
else. Interior is decent. Black paint needs a new paint job. This car is
almost back together with a new clutch. The job needs finishing by some
able buyer. I'm informed that some of the brake and clutch lines need
replacing. The body is decent. With panel alignments, it could be
perfect. No dents. Bad spot on deck corner. A very nice running engine
and a good car for someone mechanically inclined who wishes to build a
very nice GT. A little over 100K miles but clean running engine. Off
road for clutch job. Needs hauling unless you want to finish the job here.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1987 Fiero notchback coupe. Automatic, 4-cyl. My original bought-new
Fiero. Maroon paint is near perfect as it has been waxed often in its
life. Engine is a bit of a sewing machine, as Iron Duke valves often are
a bit clattery. 100K miles. Interior is about as near perfect as
possible except the driver's seat is not all that great. Clean car
inside and out -- all original. Matched set of Cooper Cobra Radial G/Ts
on meatcutter rims, not new but many miles left on them. A daily driver.
A no-accident history except for two minor things that needed no paint
to repair. Ran over a telephone pole in a grassy parking lot -- that
sort of stuff. Bring some plates and drive it home.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1987 Fiero notchback coupe. Automatic, 4-cyl. Maroon, same as car above
but with a blown engine. Car is almost complete. A few things made it to
the other cars. I have removed the interior but will stuff it all back
in there if someone wants it, comes and takes it away. I hate junking
anything and as near as I can tell, this could be a decent frame to
build something on. Free -- must be hauled.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1988 Fiero notchback coupe. 5-speed, 4-cyl. White paint is less than
perfect as it has not been waxed often in its life. Needs a paint job
although car is all one color. Engine runs good and does not clatter.
100K miles. Interior is black and tan -- I colored the hard parts, dash,
door panels, etc. Came out good. Clean car inside and out. Seats are
near perfect with NO tears or worn spots. Matched set of 86GT diamond
rims with a fairly new set of Pirellis, many miles left on them. A daily
driver. A no-accident history, near as I can tell. Bring some plates and
drive it home.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I can email out a bunch of pictures to anyone seriously interested. The
Spud is not interested in ripping anyone off. A decent offer will get
the car. Serious queries only. Don't waste my time or yours if you live
in Alaska and wouldn't consider a trip east to get one of these cars.

Phil Randolph

Jun 28, 2004, 4:46:10 PM6/28/04

Let me add one more RI car- 88GT auto 75K miles leather seats and
working air- needs paint $3K

Skip Gundlach

Jun 30, 2004, 7:59:31 AM6/30/04
Jul 3, 2004, 2:52:36 AM7/3/04
Hey nate. I was reading over this, and I just thought Id let you
know....
I pulled my 86GT from Boston to Ohio on a standard car dolly, butt
first. Mainly just to keep the wear on the tranny down. We just locked
the steering colum, tied it down for saftey, and it was fine.
Let me know where we're at with this

Adam

Jul 3, 2004, 2:52:52 AM7/3/04