'92 Dakota front diff. lock

tr008

May 18, 2006, 3:24:29 PM5/18/06
The last few times that I've engaged my 4wd on my '92 Dakota the axle
refuses to disengage. I try all the tricks -- back up, power on, power
off, etc. and eventually I have to get under the truck and remove the
four bolts holding the disconnect housing cover, pull it out a little
and manually sliding the shift fork & collar over -- disengaging the
axle. Needless to say, I'd like to find a little easier way to
disengage it. Is there a history of a particular trouble spot that I
should look at first? I thought that I would start at the vacuum can.
that is supposed to pull the collar over automatically. In my book it
is called the "shift motor assembly". Just to clarify one thing -- my
problems is not with the disengagement of the transfer case but rather,
the front drive axle. Help

dick

May 18, 2006, 9:43:48 PM5/18/06
Dakota discontinued that (good) feature. Anyone know the last year that had
it?
Is axle lube toped off & good?
"tr008" <tr...@charter.net> wrote in message

Ed

May 18, 2006, 10:12:03 PM5/18/06
More knowledgable people may correct me, but I think that the mechanism is
controlled by engine vacuum You might look for a vacuum leak throughout the
system.

KennytheKid

Jun 10, 2006, 11:25:29 AM6/10/06
I have a similar problem with my 1987 Dakota 4x4: It will go into
4-wheel drive but won't
come out unless I stop, kill the engine and wait several seconds. The
transfer case was
recently re-built and they should have discovered this problem, had
they properly road-
tested my truck, which they obviously didn't. They want an additional
$350 to replace
the vacuum actuator switch. They claim this will fix the problem.
What do you think?

AKABullseye

Aug 29, 2022, 11:15:04 PM8/29/22
You to identify the problem first. Is the 4x4 or the locking front diff not disengaging. The tranfercase is mechanical but the diff is vacumed activated.

--
For full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/dodge_trucks/92-dakota-front-diff-lock-16896-.htm