4.7l v8 = 318?

GREG

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
4.7 liter = 287 cuin.
5.2 liter = 318

Al Carriere wrote in message ...
>Is the 4.7litre V8 engine in the new Dakota's a 318? some tell me yes some
>tell me no??!!
>
>--
>Al Carriere
>al...@cyberbeach.net

Al Carriere

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00

Litl_Jay

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
No.

They both run on unleaded gasoline, and they both have 8 cylinders.

Those are the only things that they have in common.

RIP 318. Perhaps the most durable and longest lasting gasoline engine ever
built. Excuse me. I think I have something in my eye...
--

Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not
have, nor do they deserve, either one. -- Thomas Jefferson

---NOTE TO READERS---: Please ignore jerry if he replies to this. He is
just my groupie who has taken to following me around trying to start a flame
war. I suggest you do like I have done and put him in your killfile.

"Al Carriere" <al...@cyberbeach.net> wrote in message

Huff

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
No, it's a new engine. The 5.2=318, 5.9=360, 4.7=287. The specs on the 4.7
rank it darn close to the older 318(5.2).

Litl_Jay

JOLA

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
A sales man told me that the 4.7 had a timing belt not a chain. Is that
right. I thought it had a chain.

Greg Phillips

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
On Thu, 4 May 2000 00:14:35 -0400, "Al Carriere"
<al...@cyberbeach.net> wrotc:

>Is the 4.7litre V8 engine in the new Dakota's a 318? some tell me yes some
>tell me no??!!
>
>--

Well a 318=5.2L so from a displacement standpoint it's .5L off. I've
heard that it's the replacement for that engine so we'll just have to
wait and see.

wddodge

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00

JOLA <joela...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> A sales man told me that the 4.7 had a timing belt not a chain. Is that
> right. I thought it had a chain.

It does have a chain..

Denny

Litl_Jay

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
The salesman was wrong. It has a chain.

Throwyotas use belts.

--

> > No, it's a new engine. The 5.2=318, 5.9=360, 4.7=287. The specs on the
> 4.7
> > rank it darn close to the older 318(5.2).
> >
> > Al Carriere wrote:
> >

> > > Is the 4.7litre V8 engine in the new Dakota's a 318? some tell me yes
> some
> > > tell me no??!!
> > >
> > > --

> > > Al Carriere
> > > al...@cyberbeach.net

Budd Cochran

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
The connecting rod length ( center to center) and bearing diameters are the
same also . . . . .anybody for cracked cap, powdered metal rods???
--
Budd Cochran
79 D-150
Litl_Jay <please...@the.thread.com> wrote in message

> No.
>
> They both run on unleaded gasoline, and they both have 8 cylinders.
>
> Those are the only things that they have in common.
>
> RIP 318. Perhaps the most durable and longest lasting gasoline engine
ever
> built. Excuse me. I think I have something in my eye...
> --
>

> Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not
> have, nor do they deserve, either one. -- Thomas Jefferson
>
> ---NOTE TO READERS---: Please ignore jerry if he replies to this. He is
> just my groupie who has taken to following me around trying to start a
flame
> war. I suggest you do like I have done and put him in your killfile.

Budd Cochran

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
Three chains:

one from crank to idler sprocket

one for each bank to cams

--

> > No, it's a new engine. The 5.2=318, 5.9=360, 4.7=287. The specs on the
> 4.7
> > rank it darn close to the older 318(5.2).

Budd Cochran

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
Multiply displacement in liters by 61 (cubic inches to the liter) togetcubic
inches displacement.

--
Budd Cochran
79 D-150
52 Cushman RoadKing project scooter

Greg DeMent

May 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/7/00
All the current truck engines will probably be replaced, not just the 318.

We can expect that Chrysler will soon make a larger version of the 4.7 to
replace the 360, and eventually even a 6 cylinder version to replace the 3.9.
The point of all this will be to reduce displacements, thereby saving a couple
mpg. It's kind of sad really - those engines were around for a long time, and
the torque curve on the 4.7 doesn't look as broad as the 318.

(The 318 and 360 are the same engine with a different bore and stroke. The 3.9
V6 is the same engine with 2 fewer cylinders. The V10 is also the same engine
with 2 additional cylinders. You may have already known this, but I wanted to
clarify just in case.)

Litl_Jay

May 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/7/00
Good post, but it needs a few corrections.

The primary goal of reducing displacement is not to improve mileage (they
hope it will, but in the case of the 4.7 it really hasn't), but to increase
the "peak HP:displacement" ratio to please the forever crooked EPA. It
would make much more sense to use an "average HP:displacement" ratio, but
that makes too much sense (it would also demonstrate what a truly fine
engine the 318 and its spin-offs really are).

There are also a few more differences between the 318 and 360 than just bore
and stroke, but I won't bore you with details (I'll leave that up to Budd
and RFH).

The powerband of the 4.7 looks like a Doberman has been chewing on it
compared to the 318. Drive a Dakota CC with the 4.7, 5-speed, and 3.55
gears and you will really notice it. You will have to fish around for the
right speed when making shifts. I made the rounds test driving lots of
combinations, and once I got a feel for the powerband of the 4.7, I knew I
did not want it. It is too peaky, lacks low end torque, and is generally
very narrow, none of which is any good for serious off road. Due to its
youth, there are also very few hi-po parts out there to help it with these
things. The engine also has no reputation for longevity or durability like
the 318 and its counterparts do.

To its credit, the 4.7 has awesome throttle response (blows a 318 out the
door in that arena), sounds good, runs smooth, and generally isn't all that
bad of a performer on the street (just don't drive it right after driving a
318).

I have also heard whispers of a new V10 that will be based on the 4.7. Go
figure? A 5.9L V10? Why not just use the old 360 V8?

What I don't understand is why the use of hemispherical combustion chambers
is not more widespread. They are expensive to build, but they also burn
exceptionally efficiently and produce awesome displacement:power ratios.

Any input from the group on this one?

--

Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not
have, nor do they deserve, either one. -- Thomas Jefferson

---NOTE TO READERS---: Please ignore jerry if he replies to this. He is
just my groupie who has taken to following me around trying to start a flame
war. I suggest you do like I have done and put him in your killfile.

"Greg DeMent" <dem...@usa.net> wrote in message

fra...@sonic.net

May 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/7/00
Litl_Jay <please...@the.thread.com> wrote:
}
} The primary goal of reducing displacement is not to improve mileage (they
} hope it will, but in the case of the 4.7 it really hasn't), but to increase
} the "peak HP:displacement" ratio to please the forever crooked EPA. It
} would make much more sense to use an "average HP:displacement" ratio, but
} that makes too much sense (it would also demonstrate what a truly fine
} engine the 318 and its spin-offs really are).

Can you explain this more. It's the first I've heard about the EPA caring
about HP:displacement ratios.

Frank Ball fra...@sonic.net

DBarmes

May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
I have heard that 2002 dodge will put a 353 hemi in the full size ram.

m_ing...@my-deja.com

May 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/15/00
The new engines will be as follows:

3.7 liter V6
4.7 liter V8 (as you've seen)
5.7 liter V8
6.1 liter V8
7.7 liter V10 <not definate, but more than likely the displacement.

In article <39153DEE...@usa.net>,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Faze3

May 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/15/00
Any idea what the horsepower rating will be on these?

In article <8fpq2o$5ho$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

m_ing...@my-deja.com wrote:
> The new engines will be as follows:
>
> 3.7 liter V6
> 4.7 liter V8 (as you've seen)
> 5.7 liter V8
> 6.1 liter V8
> 7.7 liter V10 <not definate, but more than likely the displacement.

--
____ __ ____ ____ ___
.(____)/__\..(_ )( ___)(__ ).

Faze3

May 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/15/00
And, just because I'm curious, what the CID is for these..?

In article <8fpqcd$5ll$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Mr D-150

May 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/15/00
Multiply displacement in liters by 61 ( the number of cubic inches in a
liter).

See below:

Faze3 wrote:

> And, just because I'm curious, what the CID is for these..?
>
> In article <8fpqcd$5ll$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> Faze3 <faze...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> > Any idea what the horsepower rating will be on these?
> >
> > In article <8fpq2o$5ho$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> > m_ing...@my-deja.com wrote:
> > > The new engines will be as follows:
> > >

> > > 3.7 liter V6 (= 225.7)
> > > 4.7 liter V8 (as you've seen) (= 286.7)
> > > 5.7 liter V8 (= 347.7)
> > > 6.1 liter V8 (= 372.1)
> > > 7.7 liter V10 <not definate, but more than likely the displacement. (= 469.7)

DBarmes

May 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/16/00
where did you come up with this info?? I believe daimler chrysler is coming
out with a 353 hemi for the trucks, and the hemi C convertible.

Sean in Canada

May 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/16/00
Yup, HEMI for trucks and the 300C is getting it too.

--
Sean in Canada

1992 Dodge Royal SE Ramcharger, 360cid, 4x4, Auto, Get the hell outta my
way! 297 HP, Tranny now fixed!!!
1995 Dodge High Line Neon 4 Dr, 5 spd, DOHC race tuned, 193 HP, Mustang
gobble, Camero gobble, burp!!!
MECP Certified Car Audio Installer and Design.
"DBarmes" <dba...@aol.com> wrote in message

Litl_Jay

May 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/16/00
The cylinder walls of the new 4.7 are VERY close together. I don't think
the bore can be increased enough to accomplish what he is saying. IOW, I
think he is full of bull.

On the other hand, it may all be possible. I'm just too lazy to do the
math.

--

Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not
have, nor do they deserve, either one. -- Thomas Jefferson

---NOTE TO READERS---: Please ignore jerry if he replies to this. He is
just my groupie who has taken to following me around trying to start a flame
war. I suggest you do like I have done and put him in your killfile.

"Sean in Canada" <Go.Buy....@A.Dodge.Dealership.com> wrote in message

m_ing...@my-deja.com

May 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/16/00
I get much of my information from: http://www.car-truck.com They have
proven to be extremely accurate and I've been going there for quite some
time.

Mike

In article <20000516003032...@ng-cp1.aol.com>,