Identifying Limited Slip

Greg VH

Jun 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/30/98

Does anybody know how to tell if a 1996+ Dodge Ram has the limited slip
differential? Are there model numbers on the differential that could
tell me? I'm thinking about buying a used truck and the seller doesn't
know and would prefer that I don't get it stuck somewhere to find out.

Thanks

Sandman

Jun 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/30/98

look for a tag on the differential cover. write those numbers down and
call your local idiot dealer. even he should be able to tell you based on
those numbers.

--
Sandman, ICQ# 1777774
Collier Welding d.b.a. Advanced Fabrication

Grady Fields

Jun 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/30/98

Greg VH <gregv...@concentric.net> wrote in article

<359866...@concentric.net>...
> Does anybody know how to tell if a 1996+ Dodge Ram has the limited slip
> differential? Are there model numbers on the differential that could
> tell me? I'm thinking about buying a used truck and the seller doesn't
> know and would prefer that I don't get it stuck somewhere to find out.
>
> Thanks

My 97 1500, 3.55 limited slip has:

* a white paper band at left end of axle (viewed from rear) that says "571
Track-Lok"
* open the hood and look up at equipment list, look for code "DSA - Limited
Slip Axle"

mbu...@my-dejanews.com

Jun 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/30/98

gregv...@concentric.net wrote:

> Does anybody know how to tell if a 1996+ Dodge Ram has the limited slip
> differential? Are there model numbers on the differential that could
> tell me? I'm thinking about buying a used truck and the seller doesn't
> know and would prefer that I don't get it stuck somewhere to find out.
>
> Thanks

My 97 3500 has a label under the hood that gives that info

Mach5 Mike

Jun 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/30/98

Just jack-up the rear end of the truck so that both tires are free to spin.

Rotate one tire. If the other tire rotates in the SAME direction, you have
Limited Slip, if the other tire rotates in the OPPOSITE direction you don't
have L.S.D.

Mike

Thomas Gauldin

Jun 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/30/98

Turn a sharp left corner. If the rear end jumps or thumps, you have
limited slip.

--
Tom Gauldin, Raleigh NC
-NetMeeting ils.four11.com, Live Birdfeeder Action

Mach5 Mike wrote in message
<199806301512...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

Thomas Fuksa

Jun 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/30/98

There's a I D tag on the differential cover that should tell you what you
have, thats what the factory repair manual on my 97 Ram states. there
should be a model # stamped into the houseing some have a gear ratio
tag.TomF.

Greg VH <gregv...@concentric.net> wrote in article
<359866...@concentric.net>...
> Does anybody know how to tell if a 1996+ Dodge Ram has the limited slip
> differential? Are there model numbers on the differential that could
> tell me? I'm thinking about buying a used truck and the seller doesn't
> know and would prefer that I don't get it stuck somewhere to find out.
>
> Thanks

St Stephen, Kim & Lacy Ames

Jun 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/30/98

Go to your closest Chrysler dealer...You can get them to work best by going
there, don't call...Registration in hand will make it easier...Tell them what I
have told you, it's not confidential...Especially if you are buying a used
Chrysler product, have someone look it up in the computer...Chrysler offers
thru there cmputer system(i.e. any Chrysler dealership) in their DIAL menu(they
will know what I mean) #14(on the menu) - Vehicle Information Plus...This
allows me to find out anything about a vehicle...i.e. selling dealership, any
Chrysler warranty or non-warranty repairs made, open warranties and service
contracts, original owner, In Service Date, which determines the start of the
warranty, recall information and what we are talking about here, OPTIONS...Any
kind Chrysler Business Manager, like myself, can help you...All they need for
this is your VIN, mileage and your last name...That's it...Takes minutes...

Mach5 Mike wrote:

> Just jack-up the rear end of the truck so that both tires are free to spin.
>
> Rotate one tire. If the other tire rotates in the SAME direction, you have
> Limited Slip, if the other tire rotates in the OPPOSITE direction you don't
> have L.S.D.
>
> Mike
>

> >Does anybody know how to tell if a 1996+ Dodge Ram has the limited slip
> >differential? Are there model numbers on the differential that could
> >tell me? I'm thinking about buying a used truck and the seller doesn't
> >know and would prefer that I don't get it stuck somewhere to find out.

--
Till the next time,
St. Stephen Ames

David M. Goodin

Jul 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/1/98

All of the above methods are ok methods for checking
for a LSD. However, depending on the mileage,
it is possible on a 96 truck that the clutches in the
LSD are already worn out.

With the exception of the Auburn, most LSD aren't
noted for their longevity.

David

>Turn a sharp left corner. If the rear end jumps or thumps, you have
>limited slip.
>

>>Just jack-up the rear end of the truck so that both tires are free to
>>spin.
>>
>>Rotate one tire. If the other tire rotates in the SAME direction,
>>you have
>>Limited Slip, if the other tire rotates in the OPPOSITE direction you
>>don't
>>have L.S.D.

Grady Fields

Jul 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/1/98

and look up at the equipment list. If you see code/desc "DSA - Limited Slip
Axle" you got one. If it does not, you don't have one.

Why bother jacking the vehicle, bothering your dealer, crawling under,
punching it on a corner, yada, yada, yada...

Virtual Dude

Jul 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/1/98

YOu can do all the checking in the world.. but the easiest way is to get on
some gravel.. have a friend watch.. take off.. spin your tires.. and have
him tell you if one or both spun. that is how we do it on my race cars...
except on pavement. if it leaves one tire track.. it ISN'T L.S.

Greg VH wrote:

> Does anybody know how to tell if a 1996+ Dodge Ram has the limited slip
> differential? Are there model numbers on the differential that could
> tell me? I'm thinking about buying a used truck and the seller doesn't
> know and would prefer that I don't get it stuck somewhere to find out.
>

> Thanks

Horsesmouth

Jul 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/2/98

The Dodge uses a diff made by Auburn which uses a metal cone style
"clutch" and has a very long life.

John Roberts

Jul 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/3/98

> Does anybody know how to tell if a 1996+ Dodge Ram has the limited slip
> differential?

"Identification of Sure-Grip differential assembly can easily be made by
lifting both rear wheels off the ground and turning them. If both rear
wheels turn in the same direction simultaneously, the vehical is equipped
with a Sure-Grip differential."

Hope it helps.