1978 Dodge M600 Motorhome Chassis

hol...@hotshit.com

Jan 16, 2008, 7:33:38 PM1/16/08
I have just purchased a 1978 Travco 320 Motorhome. I believe it is a M600
Dodge motorhome chassis. It has a 440 engine. My question has to do with the
power steering.

When i turn off the engine on the RV the power steering fluid starts to blow
out at the top of the cap for the power steering reservoir. It does not leak
while driving or engine running. Only when the vehicle is turned off.

Any ideas why it would do this. Oh, And it does it every time also.

Thanks

Bob AZ

Jan 16, 2008, 7:51:36 PM1/16/08

> Any ideas why it would do this. Oh, And it does it every time also.

A number of things come to mind. Filter, PS fluid cooling radiator
(small finned thing), fluid needs changing, clogged hoses, low or
overfilled resovier(sp?). My best guess is the resovoir is too full.
Check when cold. There are probably two marks on the dipstick. One for
hot and one for cold.

So what does your manual say?

Bob AZ

hol...@hotshit.com

Jan 16, 2008, 9:29:20 PM1/16/08
There is no manual at all. I just order one the other day so hopefully I can
get one in a week. The resoivoir is not over filled. I'll try flushing out
the p.s system to see if it helps.

Budd Cochran

Jan 16, 2008, 10:59:04 PM1/16/08
I've got the M-400 chassis under an '81 Establishment (26') with the same
drive train.

The P.Steer pump is a bear to get to, but do not overfill.

Make sure the belt is properly tightened.

If you have the hydraulic boosted brakes it supplies boost pressure for them
also and because of the extra hydraulic lines, requires more fluid.

Check when cold ( so you don't burn yourself) and work all the air out of
the system with some low speed (5 mph) full left and full right turns in a
parking lot.

Budd

<hol...@hotshit.com> wrote in message

Denny

Jan 17, 2008, 5:03:34 AM1/17/08

"Budd Cochran" <mr.establ...@bresnan.net> wrote in message

> I've got the M-400 chassis under an '81 Establishment (26') with the same
> drive train.
>
> The P.Steer pump is a bear to get to, but do not overfill.
>
> Make sure the belt is properly tightened.
>
> If you have the hydraulic boosted brakes it supplies boost pressure for
> them also and because of the extra hydraulic lines, requires more fluid.
>
> Check when cold ( so you don't burn yourself) and work all the air out of
> the system with some low speed (5 mph) full left and full right turns in a
> parking lot.
>
> Budd

Howdy Budd. Good to see you're up and kicking.

Denny

Budd Cochran

Jan 17, 2008, 10:10:45 AM1/17/08

"Denny" <wdd...@woh.rr.com> wrote in message

Hi, my friend!

How are ya doing?

Budd

Mike Simmons

Jan 17, 2008, 8:15:29 PM1/17/08

"Budd Cochran" <mr.establ...@bresnan.net> wrote in message
> I've got the M-400 chassis under an '81 Establishment (26') with the same
> drive train.
>
> The P.Steer pump is a bear to get to, but do not overfill.
>
> Make sure the belt is properly tightened.
>
> If you have the hydraulic boosted brakes it supplies boost pressure for
> them also and because of the extra hydraulic lines, requires more fluid.
>
> Check when cold ( so you don't burn yourself) and work all the air out of
> the system with some low speed (5 mph) full left and full right turns in a
> parking lot.
>
> Budd

Where ya' been ya' old fart? We wuz worried about ya'

MIke

Budd Cochran

Jan 17, 2008, 8:33:35 PM1/17/08
Been busy, what with selling the mobile home in Moab, fixing the RV, hauling
stuff to Colorado and so on. Internet access wasn't as important

Budd

"Mike Simmons" <mik...@yhti.net> wrote in message

TBone

Jan 17, 2008, 9:06:54 PM1/17/08
Are you going to be living on the road now? That sounds interesting. What
did you do with the skooter?

"Budd Cochran" <mr.establ...@bresnan.net> wrote in message

Budd Cochran

Jan 17, 2008, 9:31:38 PM1/17/08
Tom,

I still feel no need to discuss anything with you as you have made clear, we
are not and will never be friends.

Budd

"TBone" <No...@nothere.com> wrote in message

roche

Mar 4, 2018, 12:18:03 AM3/4/18
replying to holycow, roche wrote:
on my 1978 m600 holiday rambler someone had power steering fliud in the
resivoir ,

my 1978 holidayrambler did that it had power steering fluid in it, it requires
hydroboost fluid instead or synthetic steering fluid, changed it and problem
solved, my fliud was also bubbley if this is the case don't buy it at parts
store buy it at Walmart at half price your manual will say hydroboost fliud or
steering fluid not power steering fluid used prestone Asian steering fluid at
under 7 dallars for 12 ounces

--
for full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/dodge_trucks/1978-dodge-m600-motorhome-chassis-37693-.htm