Citroen C5 (2002) - Interference engine?

Toby Newman

Aug 11, 2006, 6:09:18 AM8/11/06
Does anyone know if a 2002 Citroen C5 has an interference engine or
non-interference engine?

(Details: http://www.familycar.com/CarCare/TimingBelt.htm)

I'm faced with a snapped cam belt and, whilst I await a telephone call
from the garage, am wondering exactly how much damage will have been
caused.

--
-Toby, who...
field to circumvent my email filters.

Adrian

Aug 11, 2006, 6:13:00 AM8/11/06
Toby Newman (goo...@asktoby.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

> Does anyone know if a 2002 Citroen C5 has an interference engine or
> non-interference engine?
>
> (Details: http://www.familycar.com/CarCare/TimingBelt.htm)
>
> I'm faced with a snapped cam belt and, whilst I await a telephone call
> from the garage, am wondering exactly how much damage will have been
> caused.

Which engine?

If it's a diesel, then "definitely".
If it's a petrol, merely "probably".

xf8u

Aug 11, 2006, 6:43:22 AM8/11/06
I recently changed the canbelt on my Xantia HDI after it jumped out a
couple of teeth when the tensioner failed. It is an interference
engine. However in my cas instead of bending the valves it broke 4 of
the rocker arms. Much less costly and time consuming to repair. If I
were you I would ask the garage to check them first before trying to
take the head off. Believe you me, there is hardly any room to work on
these engines, especially at the back where the manifold is etc.
Just ask garage to take off rocker cover as a preliminary check and get
a torch in there and check the rocker arms are in one piece.
As the valves operate in a vertical plane on these engines it is
unlikely that they will have bent
Hope this helps
Mike

Toby Newman