F-boby vs Vette LS1

CL BRAND

Apr 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/14/98

In the recent issue of *Hot Rod* mag, thet Dyno a bunch of current *muscle
cars*. In the review, the LS1 in the TA is stronger than the LS1 in the C5 (by
about 10 hp). Also, @ www.powercurveltd.com, they do a similar test and the Z28
and Formula LS1 tested are also putting out more power @ the rear wheel than
the C5 (powercurve Ltd is the same co. that dynoed some cars for Motor Trend a
few months ago). I've read several reasons why the C5 LS1 is *rated* higher
than the F-body (exhaust, cam), but the only Dyno runs ive seen so far suggest
that the F-body LS1's are stronger. Does anyone have any more info for me?

Christian
98 Z28 M6

NoOne

Apr 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/14/98

I've raced 2 C5's, both auto's and spent some
time in one. The car does not feel as fast off the
line as my Z, and its not. The one I raced
twice, both times from a light, won by 1/2 a car
length.

The other one we have at work for testing, I drove
it for a while, and then raced it a few times. From
a dead stop, about the same 1/2 to 1 car length, from
a roll however, even a slight one I stomped it, at least
10 feet by the end of first gear alone.

But, remember this is an auto with 2.73 gears, auto, and
a larger tire diameter, even though it has the same 'engine'.
I checked out the intake, it looks alot like the MTI airbox
on top, no baffles, and its very quiet, just like mine.

I haven't played with a stick, but if its easier to launch than
my Z, unless the guy was a total screwup on launch I would
not expect to come out ahead.

--
Eric - '98 Black Z28 M6

Please remove the * and .GOV to reply
by E-Mail.
CL BRAND wrote in message
<199804140040...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

Richard S Krause

Apr 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/14/98

CL BRAND wrote:

> In the recent issue of *Hot Rod* mag, thet Dyno a bunch of current *muscle
> cars*. In the review, the LS1 in the TA is stronger than the LS1 in the C5 (by
> about 10 hp). Also, @ www.powercurveltd.com, they do a similar test and the Z28
> and Formula LS1 tested are also putting out more power @ the rear wheel than
> the C5 (powercurve Ltd is the same co. that dynoed some cars for Motor Trend a
> few months ago). I've read several reasons why the C5 LS1 is *rated* higher
> than the F-body (exhaust, cam), but the only Dyno runs ive seen so far suggest
> that the F-body LS1's are stronger. Does anyone have any more info for me?
>
> Christian
> 98 Z28 M6

The motors are apparently identical. Early on there was reportedly a minor
differnce in the cams which were being installed but this is no longer the case.
The F and Y bodies do have different exhaust systems and intake systems with the
Y-body being less restrictive. In theory, the Y-body should make a little more rear
wheel horsepower even with an identical motor due to the intake/exhaust
differences. As the "Hot Rod" article illustrates, the difference may be less than
production/test variations. The Y-body will still be a bit faster due to lower
weight and better grip (less front end weight bias).

The much higher Y-body rating is pure marketing hype. The F-body is under-rated
while the Y-body rating is pretty accurate.

Rich Krause

Trevor L. James

Apr 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/14/98

The cams are different. The F-Body's cam is tuned differently becuase it has an EGR
system. The lift and duration are almost identical, whereas there's a little more
separation on the f-body cam to improve idle.

Trevor
Black 98 TA 6M
Redline Fluids, K&N, Murdered Air Box
13.6@104.3

Stevecel

Apr 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/15/98

WAIT a minute, if the f-body,s horsepower rating is supposedly even or
higher, why would the top speed of the vette be 15MPH Higher (158 vs 173) than
the F-body? Thats more than two hundred pound weight difference would be!
And its not the rev limmiter either, the last Moter Trend test of a 98 T/A that
ran 13.4 in the quarter ran out of steam or RPM's at 158MpH 2 mph BEFORE the
rev limiter kicked in! All of the cars tested had the same 3.43 gears. In
the Z-28 it was 3MPH before the rev limiter kicked in! Also areodynamicaly
better vete still would not account for such a large MPH difference!
The vette MUST have at least 35 more horsepower.

Stephen Larghi

Apr 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/15/98

In article <199804150629...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,
stev...@aol.com says...
The computer is programmed to limit RPM and also is programmed to limit
the top end MPH. The F body is just programmed to a lower MPH.

Mike

Apr 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/15/98

Stephen Larghi wrote in message <6h3p2n$2...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...

Don't forget that the C5 has much better aerodynamics than the F-body. I
believe it is .29cd for the Vette and .32 for the Trans Am not sure about
the Camaro but it should be close. When your pucshing 300+ HP those numbers
will make a huge difference. And let's not forget the tiny front fascia of
the Vette!

--

Mike
1987 Dodge Daytona 2.5L 5 Speed 99K miles (Yeah I know it's slow but it's

david

Apr 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/16/98

stev...@aol.com (Stevecel) wrote:

> WAIT a minute, if the f-body,s horsepower rating is supposedly even or
>higher, why would the top speed of the vette be 15MPH Higher (158 vs 173) than
>the F-body? Thats more than two hundred pound weight difference would be!
>And its not the rev limmiter either, the last Moter Trend test of a 98 T/A that
>ran 13.4 in the quarter ran out of steam or RPM's at 158MpH 2 mph BEFORE the
>rev limiter kicked in! All of the cars tested had the same 3.43 gears. In
>the Z-28 it was 3MPH before the rev limiter kicked in! Also areodynamicaly
>better vete still would not account for such a large MPH difference!
> The vette MUST have at least 35 more horsepower.

Well the camaro goes faster then 158, simple enough. At least mine
does, you got to love small towns with frendly cops who have radar
guns :)

98 1LE Z28
13.12@109.2 stock with Free Ram Air Mod
f-body member

Stevecel

Apr 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/16/98

Well how fast were you clocked?

Stevecel

Apr 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/16/98

Wait anoyher minute if the new F-bodys have more than 305 horsepower why cant
they out run previuos Pre 98 F-bodys! Moter Trend Car & Driver all tested the
top speed of the Pre-98(1993-1997Trans-ams at 159 MPH!

Steve Cole

Apr 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/16/98
to Stephen Larghi

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Stephen Larghi wrote:

> The computer is programmed to limit RPM and also is programmed to limit
> the top end MPH. The F body is just programmed to a lower MPH.

Bzzzzzzt! Wrong answer! Only the f-body cars that came from the
factory without Z-rated rubber are limited in top end speed. At least,
if you're talking 4th gen.

Cheers,
Steve |President & Systems Administrator, Kingston Online Services
|(e pluribus unix) Multiple-T1 URL: http://www.kos.net/
|Business and Education partners in SouthEastern Ontario

|"Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
|backbone, bounced from satellite, it's nothing but net."
|(forgive me if I'm terse, I answer hundreds of e-mails a day)

Mike Wilhoit

Apr 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/16/98

I could be wrong, but I never remember seeing 159 MPH in any magazines,
even for the slightly sleeker Firebirds. I recall speeds like 155 MPH
for the Camaro and 157 MPH for the Firebird/TA. Also, the noses on the
'98 cars seem blunter, and may be less aerodynamic than the missile-like
'93-'97 cars (although the the old-style Camaro headlight scoops
probably caused a lot of drag).

Mike W. '95 Z28

Rich

Apr 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/17/98

david <gl...@dmv.com> wrote in article <35356c16...@news.dmv.com>...

> 98 1LE Z28
> 13.12@109.2 stock with Free Ram Air Mod
> f-body member

Wow!!! That is some time for a stock car. With that mph, I'm guessing an
et of 12.8-12.9 on a perfect run.
Rich ev...@nfnarg.pbz
Spam Stopper - Apply ROT13 to
unscramble my e-mail address.

Riots X

Apr 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/17/98

> I recall speeds like 155 MPH
>for the Camaro and 157 MPH for the Firebird/TA

Super Chevy I think it was did a test of DPS vehicles and the auto B4C hit a
top speed of 159 while the standard a wimpy (grin) 157 :)

~R!