Ink stain on leather seat and cup-holder.

Vinay A. Mahadik

Jun 25, 2004, 1:22:06 PM6/25/04
Hi there,

One of my ball-point pens burst today in my 323i and I now have some
stains in the cup-holder, and a minor one on the leather seat. So far,
I have washed the stain with a little bit of soap and water (didn't
have any cleaner with me!), and its a dryed up now.

What's the "state of the art" in cleaning this right now? I saw a few
posts on alt.bmw.autos pointing mostly to alcohol or hair sprays.
Could you please recommend some nice product, especially if your's is
a success story?

A dumb question - when they say alcohol, what exactly do they mean and
where do I get it? (Beer? Liquor? or something from a chemist?)

Thanks in advance,

Vinay.

Fred W.

Jun 25, 2004, 1:26:04 PM6/25/04

"Vinay A. Mahadik" <myde...@fastmail.fm> wrote in message

> Hi there,
>
> One of my ball-point pens burst today in my 323i and I now have some
> stains in the cup-holder, and a minor one on the leather seat. So far,
> I have washed the stain with a little bit of soap and water (didn't
> have any cleaner with me!), and its a dryed up now.
>
> What's the "state of the art" in cleaning this right now? I saw a few
> posts on alt.bmw.autos pointing mostly to alcohol or hair sprays.
> Could you please recommend some nice product, especially if your's is
> a success story?

Never been there or done that.

> A dumb question - when they say alcohol, what exactly do they mean and
> where do I get it? (Beer? Liquor? or something from a chemist?)

Isopropyl. Rubbing Alcohol.

-Fred W

Tom Korth

Jun 25, 2004, 1:58:00 PM6/25/04

"Vinay A. Mahadik" <myde...@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> One of my ball-point pens burst today in my 323i and I now have some
> stains in the cup-holder, and a minor one on the leather seat. So far,
> I have washed the stain with a little bit of soap and water (didn't
> have any cleaner with me!), and its a dryed up now.
>
> What's the "state of the art" in cleaning this right now? I saw a few
> posts on alt.bmw.autos pointing mostly to alcohol or hair sprays.
> Could you please recommend some nice product, especially if your's is
> a success story?

I've had good results with Lexol Quick Wipes.

http://www.lexol.com/

Tom

Bifbird

Jun 25, 2004, 1:57:28 PM6/25/04
Fred W. wrote:

Check out products designed to remove inks, like sprays for the laundry.
As always, test it on a concealed part of each type of surface you
want to use it on.

Somebody

Jun 26, 2004, 10:24:37 AM6/26/04

"Fred W." <Fred.Wills@allspam myrealbox.com> wrote in message

I've had reasonable luck with this before (isopropyl alohol on ballpoint pen
ink) though I've not tried it on leather.

-Russ.

Vinay A. Mahadik

Jun 27, 2004, 6:06:37 AM6/27/04
Thanks all for replying.. for the archives, isopropyl alcohol (70%)
from walgreens worked perfectly on the leather seat stain (totally
dissolved the hours-old stain).. the one in the cup-holder is also now
too faint to be an issue.. it was looking horrible before though! I
have removed all ink-pens from the car now.. only pencils from now on
I guess..

Thanks again for the replies!

Vinay.