Where can I find 93 octane fuel in San Jose area?

Bob Parsons

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
SReyl19368 wrote:

> Looking for 93 octane fuel. I can't find any service stations that sell it
> anymore. It seems like Union 76 and Exxon(?) used to sell it. Anyone know?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve
> '95 ///M3
> BMW CCA

93 octane? It's late at night but doesn't unleaded fuel come in 87, 89
and 92 Octane? If it's 92 octane you want/need, Chevron, Shell, Exxon,
Union 76, Olympic, etc, etc all have it - unless they happen to be out
of it at the time you are there...
--
Bob Parsons

Remember, keep smiling....that way they'll never know what you're up to!
(To reply via e-mail remove the first "dot")

SReyl19368

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/17/98

SReyl19368

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/17/98
Looking for 93 octane gas. 92 just doesn't cut it. Anyone know if any of the
gas stations still sell it. If so, what location?

Thanks in advance.

SReyl19368

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/17/98
>93 octane?

>doesn't unleaded fuel come in 87, 89
>and 92 Octane?

Yes, that's what most stations sell. But I seem to recall that a couple of
service stations used to carry a 93 (yes, 93) octane fuel. I just can't find
it anymore. I don't know, maybe that was years ago. I haven't seen it in a
while, but then again, I haven't been looking until recently. For all I know,
maybe the 93 octane was leaded fuel before they banned it in California. Any
info anyone has would help.

Thanks,

PLien69

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/17/98

Interesting. Here in the east (referring to New England and metro NYC) almost
all gas stations sell 87, 89, and 93 octane. AFAIK, only Getty sells 92
premium. Also, Sunoco sells an Ultra 94 gas in addition to the aforementioned
3 grades.

A previous post mentioned that CA banned 93 octane, presumably for emissions
reasons. I've also heard that premium in Colorado is only 92 due to altitude.

Could the extra octane rating exist to help compensate for the oxygenated fuels
that are mandated in the northeast?

Tonygoalie

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/17/98
I always use at least 93 octance in my 97 M3. Try the Sunoco 94, I could not
believe the difference!

CharlieKilo

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/17/98
Tonygoalie wrote:

> I always use at least 93 octance in my 97 M3. Try the Sunoco 94, I could not
> believe the difference!

Are they M3s running such a high compression ratio to really need this?

CK

Gasshauler

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/17/98
>Could the extra octane rating exist to help compensate for the oxygenated
>fuels
>that are mandated in the northeast

No, the whole northeast uses 87,89, 93, and Sonoco 94 octanes. Oxygenated fuels
are used only in the winter months and only in designated areas. To dispell
another myth about octane. You do not get more power out of premium fuels. The
higher the octane the more anti-knock protection. If your car doesn't ping on
hard acceleration you are wasting money buying higher octane fuels. If it
pings, move up only high enough to stop it. If it requires 93 so be it, but if
it doesn't don't waste your money.

George Sconyers

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/17/98
You need a private pilot friend (100 octane)! Of course legal use / no
road taxes is another matter.

George '98 Z3

SReyl19368 <sreyl...@aol.com> wrote in article
<199807170523...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

> Looking for 93 octane gas. 92 just doesn't cut it. Anyone know if any
of the
> gas stations still sell it. If so, what location?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Gary Archer

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/17/98
Yes -- as jet fuel is really kerosene --- that really should kick your Z3
in the butt!! Go for AvGas (100) --- last I checked (about 4 months ago)
it was 1.22/gal at SJ muni.

G.
Nacro wrote in message
>JET FUEL KICKS ASS 8) !!!!!!!!
>

>George Sconyers wrote in message
><01bdb1d8$22bac640$3bc7409b@george-s-xps>...

Gary Archer

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/17/98
Not possible in CA (mostly) except for Av Gas or Racing Gas.

The addition of clean air additives to the gas (e.g.
Ethel Acohol in the summer months) have the effect of reducing
the octane rating.

G.

SReyl19368 wrote in message
<199807170513...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

>Looking for 93 octane fuel. I can't find any service stations that sell it
>anymore. It seems like Union 76 and Exxon(?) used to sell it. Anyone
know?

>Thanks,

Nacro

Jul 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/18/98

Henning

Jul 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/18/98
Well...is 93 octane the best you can get in the USA??
We have 98 octane (called Super-Plus) here in Germany.

Henning

SReyl19368 wrote:

> Looking for 93 octane gas. 92 just doesn't cut it. Anyone know if any of the
> gas stations still sell it. If so, what location?
>
> Thanks in advance.

The Gassmanns

Jul 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/18/98
Actually, Sunoco Ultra 94 Octane is the highest octane gas available in my part of the US (Eastern PA), and I believe anywhere else in the US -- short of racing fuel anyway.  Sunoco Ultra 94 is all I ever use in my car.  She runs smoother, idles smoother and has more power than if I use other, lower octane fuels.  Does anyone know if the Octane boosters (104 -108 Octane) are safe and/or effective to use in an E-36 ///M3?

Craig Gassmann
97///M3 Coupe 5 Spd.
Techno-Violet/Mulberry
BMW CCA

Alexandra Mackenzie

Jul 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/18/98
hey try the old type of moth balls made out of naphelene(sp?!?) I used
to use it in an old beat up Mazada and it boosted it enough to stop the
pinging on an 8 percent grade. I used 7-10 balls per tank, I heard it
was used in old time hot-rodding days to boost octane. Please remember
to use the old type of moth balls, there is new type that will gum
everything up, old type is called old tyme or look in active ingredients
for napthane or something....sorry I cant remember it, but it was fun to
do in the Mazada..
Cp
83 e28
96,000 mi
No moths yet..

Texas Flyboy

Jul 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/19/98
to Henning
Henning wrote:

> Well...is 93 octane the best you can get in the USA??
> We have 98 octane (called Super-Plus) here in Germany.
>
> Henning
>
> SReyl19368 wrote:
> >
> > Looking for 93 octane gas. 92 just doesn't cut it. Anyone know if any of the
> > gas stations still sell it. If so, what location?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Steve
> > '95 ///M3
> > BMW CCA

Hmmm...I am also here in Germany, but don't think "super plus" is equal
to 98 octane...actually more like 93 or 94. Different type ratings.
Course, in any case, that's all I will put in my Z3 2.8!

--Texas Flyboy in Stuttgart

Henning Seele

Jul 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/19/98
Super-Plus is 98. Super is 95. Normal-Benzin ist 91/92.

Best wishes,
Henning

George Kalemanis

Jul 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/19/98
OK, who ever puts 100LL gas in their M3 is a total moron. First, that
gas (avgas) contains lead, and it doesn't have the same additives as
auto gas. It's will not run in auto either, if it does your screw
your engine thoroughly, have any of you handles 100LL fuel, doesn't
even look like auto gas.

On Fri, 17 Jul 1998 19:47:52 -0700, "Gary Archer" <gar...@dnai.com>
wrote:

>Yes -- as jet fuel is really kerosene --- that really should kick your Z3
>in the butt!! Go for AvGas (100) --- last I checked (about 4 months ago)
>it was 1.22/gal at SJ muni.
>
>G.

Martin P. Rinne

Jul 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/20/98
On Sun, 19 Jul 1998 16:03:02 +0200, Henning Seele
<se...@geocities.com> wrote:

>Super-Plus is 98. Super is 95. Normal-Benzin ist 91/92.

Here in Estonia we do not have names like Super or Super Plus for fuel
sold. Just octane, plain and simple. Most used fuel is 95E (unleaded
95-octane). You can also get 95, 98 and 98E. In some REAL cheap
behind-the-corner one can find 92 and even 76 rated fuel. But these
are mostly for old soviet cars like Lada and Moskvitch. I personally
don't know a single mentally healthy person putting anything lower
than 95-octane in his/her car. I run my 535i with 95E, but if I want
to make my car happy, then I load some 98E into the tank. And you CAN
notice the difference.

<Martini (E34 535i)>

Peter Wagner

Jul 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/20/98
I'm in the same boat as you are. I've been looking for 93 octane for my
'95 //M3 in the Bay Area as well. I suspect that the state has banned
fuel additives for the same reason they dissallow the high-octane stuff:
people put it in older, low-compression cars and then spew unburnt
hydrocarbons because the engine can't burn everything.

Some have written that you are wasting money if you car doesn't ping on
the lower-octane stuff. Again, this depends on the particular car.
Newer cars have electronics that will delay the ignition timing when
pinging is imminant; that is why you should never get pinging on an
M3--no matter what the fuel. As you step down the octane, you will just
get less and less power and worse fuel economy (at full-throttle /
high-RPM).

This octane/pollution issue is particularly
irritating to me, as the state has mandated specific actions instead of
specific results. We can't get the right fuel for our cars because
someone with a 10-year-old pushrod car/truck might use the stuff
incorrectly. But, it's OK to buy a light-truck (representing 1/2 of all
vehicle sales) and pollute more than any M3--light trucks have less
specific emissions requirements! I still see two-stroke lawn mowers and
leaf blowers (noise makers) that put out enough hydro-carbons to
practically RUN some cars on the exhaust! OK, venting off.

Let me know if you find higher-octane fuel or an additive.
-- Peter

SReyl19368

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
>>Super-Plus is 98. Super is 95. Normal-Benzin ist 91/92.

Keep in mind, Europes octane rating is different than that in the US. 92 in
the US is like 98 in Europe. We use the AKI (Anti-Knock Index) scale which is
different than that used in Europe.

SReyl19368

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
>Let me know if you find higher-octane fuel or an additive.
>-- Peter

Peter,
I think my only choice is to mix 100 octane union 76 race gas with Super
Unleaded and figure I'll end up with around 94 octane depending on the mix
ratio. Based on my responses, no one sells anything more that 92 octane unless
you go to a race fuel.
good luck,

SReyl19368

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
>hey try the old type of moth balls made out of naphelene(sp?!?)

I don't exactly want to put Mothballs in the tank of a $50,000 car, let alone
my Toyota.

George Kalemanis

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98

I believe our local Sunoco has 95 gas.

Saleen77

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98

I remember that the Union 76 on Stevens Creek by Lawrence carried 108 octane
gasoline. You may want to check that out.

But this was a while ago. Haven't had the Saleen in a while so I don't know if
they still carry it. It was about $3-4 a gallon though!!!

Otherwise, try one of the go-cart shops. They usually carry high octane
gasoline.

Regards,

Henning

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
We also use the anti-knock-index scale (Anti-Klopf-Index) here in
Germany.

Best wishes,
Henning

David Michaels

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
I've wondered about this for a couple years, I used to live in NJ where super
unleaded is always 93 and now live in CA where it's only 92. I drove across the
country and noticed a change as I made my way west, somewhere around Colorado I
think.. I thought originally it was an altitude thing, but clearly that isn't the
case because I am at the same altitude here in CA as I was in NJ.

Very odd, if you ask me.

-d.