performance upgrades for 88-94 TBI chevy truck....?

John King

Mar 1, 2004, 10:50:43 PM3/1/04
What are my options on performance upgrades with the TBI setup?

I have a '94 Siverado 4X4..... do they make aftermarket headers for these?
And if I install a cam or maybe even a set of decent heads, will the TBI
system deal with these mods ok? What about the computer?

Anyone have any history with modifications to this setup?

Thanks

~John King
Winchester, Va.

"Doc"

Mar 2, 2004, 6:38:57 PM3/2/04

"John King" <xu...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Lots of experience with modding this engine/EFI combo. First step is
headers; there are a TON of them on the market, so pick a pair of
full-length (NOT shorties) headers and get a decent high-flow cat and
muffler combo. ECM (computer) will not have a problem with this at all.
You'll find an extra 20HP here.

Next step up would be a set of cast iron Vortec Heads ($259 each brand
spankin' new) and a GMPP TBI intake manifold (another $250) to fit the new
heads and TBI unit. That combo will net you 20-40HP, and might require a
PROM reflash for the newer heads.

A cam would be great at the same time you did the heads, and will also
require a PROM reflash.

Doc

John King

Mar 2, 2004, 8:43:43 PM3/2/04
Good deal DOC, thanks..... I've been checking out some headers online but
have only run across "shorties". Any idea where to look for a set of "Full
lengths"? And do they make a dual conversion kit? I heard that Flowmaster
made one for the CK series pick-up but haven't seen them yet.......

I'm also considering maybe just buying a stock 5.7 crate motor and adding
about a 480 lift cam (maybe not quite that big)

~John

""Doc"" <no...@nope.com> wrote in message

Bret Chase

Mar 2, 2004, 8:51:01 PM3/2/04
On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 01:43:43 GMT, "John King" <xu...@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

>:|Good deal DOC, thanks..... I've been checking out some headers online but

>:|have only run across "shorties". Any idea where to look for a set of "Full
>:|lengths"?

Flowtech Afterburners... they're under $200 for non ceramic coated
headers, an additional $100 for the Y pipe. you can get them from
Jegs, summit, JC whitney.

>:|And do they make a dual conversion kit?

not one that's legal for on road use as the TBI motors all had a
single cat

I heard that Flowmaster
>:|made one for the CK series pick-up but haven't seen them yet.......

a true dual or a split after-cat system? if you're just looking for a
split system, everyone and their brother makes one.

HTH,
Bret

>:|

John King

Mar 2, 2004, 10:04:21 PM3/2/04
a true dual or a split after-cat system?
=====================================
True dual.......not cat-back.

"Bret Chase" <nu...@business.net> wrote in message

pedro

Mar 4, 2004, 11:23:30 AM3/4/04
I have done a lot of research on the TBI 砲OMPUTER match, I have put
in a Comp Cam made for TBI , shorty headers, years ago a HyperChip,
free flow exhaust. I am very happy with these mods, there have been no
problems at all. I am going to the Edelbrock Aluminum heads and intake
next. The rings never seated in, so a good reason to put in the new
parts. I am hoping with all these mods to increase the HP from stock
by about 60 to 70 HP. The tranny has a shift kit and the rear end now
has a new posi.

I still have not got a yes or no from the group, on whether I will
have to do a chip change again. I will keep you posted, on that
subject. I am hoping that these are not to drastic of mods for the
computer to keep up with. If I need more fuel, may work on the stock
TBI system.

If any one has done these mods and have had to change the chip please
let me know.Also do a search on this site on "TBI-computer" and you
will find about 30 posting on your questions.

Thanks

Elbert

Mar 11, 2004, 10:13:32 PM3/11/04

on that intake you refer to.... is that a GM intake? I see one
here
http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Chevrolet_Intake_Manifolds/Vortec_TBI.html

egr looks like its in a screwed up location but I guess it works??

are the vortec heads and this intake a good combination....as far as I
know you don't have to many options. on a TBI motor.. I'm running a
eldebrock performer on a stock motor, on my truck. Only other thing
it has is true dual exhaust..

ON the prom flash... what are you referring to here... is there some
update you can get for the ECM prom?

I have one of the hypertech chips for my truck (but I've not
installed it)...

TBI runs good ...easy start ... I've always thought the intakes
sucked for the most part... looks like the old 2 barrel setup.

Elbert

----
Elbert Clarke
elbert.clarke**@us.army.mil
remove ** to email

"Doc"

Mar 11, 2004, 10:49:02 PM3/11/04
Inline..................

"Elbert" <elbert.clarke**@us.army.mil> wrote in message

> on that intake you refer to.... is that a GM intake? I see one
> here
> http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Chevrolet_Intake_Manifolds/Vortec_TBI.html

I was referring to aftermarket; don't know if GM makes a TBI intake for
Vortec heads on the 4.3.

> egr looks like its in a screwed up location but I guess it works??

I would hope so!

> are the vortec heads and this intake a good combination....as far as I
> know you don't have to many options. on a TBI motor.. I'm running a
> eldebrock performer on a stock motor, on my truck. Only other thing
> it has is true dual exhaust.

Because this motor is remaining mostly stock, matching the heads and intake
aren't too important, but yes, they'll compliment eachother nicely.

> ON the prom flash... what are you referring to here... is there some
> update you can get for the ECM prom?

Not really an update, but a custom-burned PROM. There are lots of places
that will burn a custom PROM based on your new and improved camshaft,
compression ratio, displacement, etc. to make it run right with all the new
parts. The Hypertech chips are generic and designed for stock motors.

> TBI runs good ...easy start ... I've always thought the intakes
> sucked for the most part... looks like the old 2 barrel setup.

Yeah they kinda bite but they seem to do the job.

Doc

Elbert

Mar 12, 2004, 7:25:54 AM3/12/04

ok

i guess I did not say but I was talking about a 350 TBI engine
and in my case for a 92 k 1500

Thanks

----

Pindar/King

Mar 12, 2004, 6:52:45 PM3/12/04
I'm thinking of doing the same thing, new 350 in my 91 Sierra 4x4,
considering it has 151,000 plus miles on it, mostly hi-way.

Pace Performance Products in Ohio put together a decent upgrade.

4 Bolt Main GM Factory Vortec, Edelbrock's Performer Multi-Point EFI.
A/T Flywheel, Hedman TEMS headers, and all the other good stuff that goes
with a long block.

It specs out at 265 HP@4500 RPM and 340 ft/lbs of torque@3500 RPM.
For a plain jane Sierra, not bad in my opinion.

Its pricey tho, $4,395.00 + shipping

Pindar

"Doc"

Mar 12, 2004, 11:16:34 PM3/12/04

"Pindar/King" <rad...@infionline.net> wrote in message

For that price, from the same place (Pace Parts) you can get a 350HO which
puts out 100 more horsies and 30 ft/lbs more torque and the Vortec TBI
intake.

Doc

Elbert

Mar 14, 2004, 5:18:05 PM3/14/04

For any of the guys who have done this:

are there any issues with the change over fo vortec heads
and a suitable intake on say a 92 model K 1500 with 350...

I don't plan on running headers so I wonder if the stock 92 exhaust
manifolds will work and would the stock EGR valve work on the vortec
intake?

If I were to do this I build the bottom end... (short block) install a
new cam, vortec style intake and I guess run the stock TBI injector
setup. Any hidden "spoilers" on this idea?

I'm just looking for a good dependable street motor / some off-road
use, that will run all the normal accessories..

----

Bret Chase

Mar 14, 2004, 8:51:34 PM3/14/04
On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:18:05 -0600, Elbert
<elbert.clarke**@us.army.mil> wrote:

>:|
>:|For any of the guys who have done this:

>:|
>:|are there any issues with the change over fo vortec heads
>:|and a suitable intake on say a 92 model K 1500 with 350...
>:|
>:|I don't plan on running headers so I wonder if the stock 92 exhaust
>:|manifolds will work and would the stock EGR valve work on the vortec
>:|intake?

I've not done this swap, but I do know that the TBI EGR setup won't
work. if you look up the TBI for vortec intake at the GMPP site, it
lists the part #'s required to make the EGR functional.

HTH,
Bret
>:|
>:|If I were to do this I build the bottom end... (short block) install a

Elbert

Mar 15, 2004, 12:49:31 AM3/15/04

Ya,

I saw on one of the GM dealer web sites about the EGR valve .
I'll have to look into that to see wht the difference are and if there
are any differences in the exhaust manifolds.

EC

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 20:51:34 -0500, Bret Chase <nu...@business.net>

dwestm...@gmail.com

May 1, 2014, 12:56:14 AM5/1/14
A throttle body spacer will greatly im prove fuel atomization. You will get more brake hp and your fuel efficiency will increase at the same time, which is a big bonus.

dwestm...@gmail.com

May 1, 2014, 12:56:15 AM5/1/14

whitefo...@gmail.com

May 11, 2017, 7:06:40 PM5/11/17
How do I get more hp in my 88
chevy 350.5.7 truck?

rcount...@gmail.com

Dec 13, 2017, 3:05:57 AM12/13/17
The truck is pre 96 and no longer has to go thru emissions(at least thats how it is here in WI). So you can run a true dual from the headers without cats(the way it should be) and it will perform and sound a hell of alot better

nathan...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2019, 12:45:34 PM6/19/19
Same question only it must pass California smog I'm a southern California resident.