190E stuck steering lock!

odb

Feb 23, 2003, 11:36:59 AM2/23/03
Greetings all!

2 days ago I bought my first (hopefully not last) MB...a beautiful '88 190E
with "only" 239,000 Kilometres.

On the lot, everything worked beautifully. Got it home, noticed that the
truck lock was a little tricky to unlock with the key. No problem, my wife
finally got it to turn with much jiggling.

Next morning, unlocked the door no problem, but now I can NOT turn the
ignition switch at all!

The steering is locked, but has some free play. After doing much reading
here, and consultations with both a locksmith and a mechanic, I have tried
the following:

1) Wiggle the key up, down, sideways, in circular motions, all about in
every direction, and in and out while trying to
turn the key, and while reefing on the steering wheel in both directions.
This I did for TWO HOURS! No go.

2) Have helper manually try to turn the front wheels while attempting step 1
above.

3) Spray WD 40 into the lock, then attempting step 1 and 2.

4) Tapped the lock cylinder with a small hammer while attempting step 1 and
2

5) Heated my key with a flame, then inserted into lock, then attempted step
1 and 2

Still, not turning. I fully realise that I MUST get the switch to RUN
position before the
cylinder can be removed, but I really want to be sure that the cylinder IS
the problem before
doling out BIG$$$ or time to have it cut out!

Could this whole problem be unrelated to a bad lock cylinder, but really a
broken steering
lock pin? Is there any way to be sure of this?
I mean, if it was jammed, and I could not turn the wheel, I sure could not
turn
the ignition switch, could I?

OR, is this simply a worn out key? I have only one, and we did have some
problem with the trunk lock, and it is an old key (2 track, I think they
call it).
Is there a certain portion of this key, that, when worn, will not allow the
ignition to turn,
but will still allow the doors and trunk to lock/unlock?

Should I drive 50 miles to my nearest MB dealer and get a new key cut, only
to find out that may not be the problem after all?

How do I remove the steering lock mechanism to see if that was the culprit?
Expense?

Thank you very much.

John Harriott

IF YOU CAN'T SWIM DON'T JUMP IN

Feb 23, 2003, 10:10:31 PM2/23/03
boy are you in for some fun now
i have read its a costly fix.
this should get you to the top of the posting list again & maby some one
will see your post

good luck

kc

Mark Ichiyama

Feb 24, 2003, 3:05:16 AM2/24/03

William Balmer

Feb 24, 2003, 9:54:16 AM2/24/03

"odb" <harr...@eNxOeScPuAlMink.com> wrote in message

> Should I drive 50 miles to my nearest MB dealer and get a new key cut,
only
> to find out that may not be the problem after all?

I'd try a replacement key first. You never know, you could get lucky. But
CALL the dealer and give them your VIN. They will have to order the key -
they can't cut it there (at least my dealer can't). This way you'll only
have to make one 50 mile trip to go pick it up when it arrives. Good luck!

Bill Balmer
1986 190E 2.3-16

Roger Shoaf

Feb 24, 2003, 12:49:58 PM2/24/03

"odb" <harr...@eNxOeScPuAlMink.com> wrote in message

The steering lock itself is one of those parts that seldom fail. The lock
cylinder however is one of those parts that fail consistently. I suspect
that this is because MB uses steel keys but the lock cylinder is pot metal
and the tumblers are brass.

The harder key rubbing on the softer materials the lock is made out of leads
to the predictable failure. You can probably get a brass key for your car
at your local locksmith.

If your locksmith has done one of these before he might be a lot cheaper
than the dealer. If you are able to coax the key to turn just one more
time. don't shut it all the way off, this will save you the big money.

--
Roger Shoaf

odb

Feb 26, 2003, 9:33:30 PM2/26/03
I had a locksmith come and he was able to extract the lock cylinder. Not too
bad... 90 minutes work = $CDN 70.00. I'm seriously impressed. I have to use
a screwdriver for the next few days to start my car until the new cylinder,
but I'm back in the saddle again.

Thanks to all for your kind and informative replies.

I'll be back, I'm sure.

John

Roger Shoaf

Mar 2, 2003, 1:03:51 AM3/2/03

> I had a locksmith come and he was able to extract the lock cylinder. Not
too
> bad... 90 minutes work = $CDN 70.00.

If this man only charged you $CDN47.00 an hour you got by dirt cheap. He
must really need your business. You should hire him to install the new
cylinder.

The Bee

Mar 2, 2003, 9:34:43 AM3/2/03
Hi

Don't be shock when a new cylinder lock will set you back CDN200.00 for one
piece...

Then you got the doors to worry .....

check out the prices on the net ...

The Bee