Poor MB Build Quality -- Why do you guys still buy MB?

8 views
Skip to first unread message

Figaro

unread,
Oct 1, 2009, 6:17:12 AM10/1/09
to
Is it because you think it's a status symbol and therefore overlook
its lackluster quality?

Since when did MB quality get so bad and why?

As a prospective MB buyer I would like to know.

Figaro

Tiger

unread,
Oct 1, 2009, 10:00:16 AM10/1/09
to
General information is that since 2004, it has been in general decline in
reliability. Majority of the problem is usually electronics and latest one
is transmission issues and the 4 matics.

They produced too many models and configurations is why it got into trouble.
They stuffed too many electronics to control simple things.

My advice is if you want to buy new MB, buy as simple as possible.... forget
4Matic when you use or can use snow tires Forget the built in GPS if you
don't mind easier Garmin GPS. But do buy basic luxury such as HID headlight,
heated seat... etc.

Same goes for the engine, if you can stick with 6 cylinders or diesel, go
for it... the 8 and 12 are more problematic.

Above all, always buy extended warranty, because it is in your favor for
major problem cropping up on you after your standard warranty expired.


Dori A Schmetterling

unread,
Oct 1, 2009, 3:39:12 PM10/1/09
to
I gather (from an MB garage/workshop here in London) that particular models
were affected and that the problems have been solved.

1st generation A Class, South African produced C Class. Early M Class...

My 2001 CLK has been fine.

Current A Class fine. B Class never had a problem.

Am interested to hear if there are contrary opinions.

I also agree that it is wise to keep it simple, but I suspect that applies
to all cars.

DAS

To send an e-mail directly replace "spam" with "schmetterling"
---
"Tiger" <tige...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:4ac4b5e4$0$4992$607e...@cv.net...

erschro...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 1, 2009, 5:26:36 PM10/1/09
to

My 2008 ML350 has been completely reliable. I owned 3 MBs before
(2000 E320, 2003 CLK320, and 2006 E350), and they did have problems,
but my latest one has not. J D Power confirms quality is improving,
as does Consumer Reports (over half MB models are now recommended).

Howard

unread,
Oct 2, 2009, 11:34:07 AM10/2/09
to

> > Since when did MB quality get so bad and why?
>

It has been my understanding that MB hit its lowest ebb around
2003-04. The reasons for the poverty of the quality are manifold. They
wanted to sell high volume for what had always been a smaller luxury
only player. The mechanical engineering in all of their products went
through total reinvention. The electrically driven luxury equipment
increased in number by multiples as all car companies started to
compete on content. It put a great burden on the engineering
departments, and the semi-robotic manufacturing system they use lends
itself to poorer quality control. The port of Baltimore I know now
runs dozens and dozens more checks than they did in even five years
ago to make sure that they check every possible factory error before
the car is delivered to the dealer.

In my opinion, it is the way that Mercedes decided to address the
increasing demands for content in the cars, which was to add hard
wired electrical equipment. That lead to multiple computer systems,
and strained the electrical system. Just as another way of looking at
it, GM has as much functionality that it offers outside of the car in
its satellite fed Onstar system. That choice allowed them to simplify
their cars much more than any of the Germans.

I also agree that Mercedes quality is coming up since they have
reengineered those things that didn't work, and dropped those features
that couldn't be reliably engineered like the Electronic Brake Force
distribution they used on some early this decade SLs and AMGs.

Dori A Schmetterling

unread,
Oct 2, 2009, 11:44:58 AM10/2/09
to
Not necessarily or depends what you mean.

Mercs -- C & E Class -- have been in the Top-5-selling cars in Germany for
years. Not sure this year, haven't checked.

Even 20 years ago the W123 200D sold extremely well to business (incl taxi
companies, of corse) because it was reliable and very economical (incl low
depreciation rates).

You never see the smaller-engined models in the US, from what I can make
out.

DAS

To send an e-mail directly replace "spam" with "schmetterling"
---

"Howard" <ho...@juno.com> wrote in message
news:6423ddd5-4f2d-4605...@l31g2000vbp.googlegroups.com...
>
[...]


for what had always been a smaller luxury only player.

[...]


pheo...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 3, 2009, 8:52:43 PM10/3/09
to


If you are aware of this why do you keep looking at MB?
I'm very disappointed with german car quality in general!
A lexus LS460 will blow away just about any german luxury car.
I've seen several comparisons with the LS460 vs the S class.
Several journalists say the Lexus is superior and for about half the
price.

Have you seen the Lexus LS460? It truly is amazing AND RELIABLE!!!!

Good luck,

Oskar

Roland Franzius

unread,
Oct 4, 2009, 3:08:21 AM10/4/09
to
pheo...@gmail.com schrieb:

According to the discussions in this group German cars were of poorest
qualitiy during the period following Gerhard Schr�ders rejection of
Bushs Iraq war.

--

Roland Franzius

pheo...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 4, 2009, 5:19:52 PM10/4/09
to
On Oct 4, 2:08 am, Roland Franzius <roland.franz...@uos.de> wrote:
> pheoni...@gmail.com schrieb:
> qualitiy during the period following Gerhard Schröders rejection of

> Bushs Iraq war.
>
> --
>
> Roland Franzius

Hmm...
Interesting, very interesting.
I learned part of the reason (at least in USA) started in early 1980's
(I think 1982) when MB cars started to be built in USA.
These cars were of inferior quality to the german made autos.
I also learned around the same time, MB management outsourced their
electrical systems to a chinese company.
The chinese electrical systems barely met the specs, while the german
made electrical systems surpassed the specs by a long shot (typical of
germans).
The #1 problem is reliability - especially electrical systems. It's
been decades now and the damage will be hard to undo.
MB isn't the only one. Audi is aweful, so are VW. Porsche and BMW
have the least amount of reliability problems but they are not better
than the reliability of Honda or Toyota (Acura, Infiniti or Lexus if
you want Luxury models).

The sad fact is the Japanese companies make more reliable cars than
the Germans. This has been going on for at least 15-20 years now.
I now have a Lexus LS 430 and I can tell you for the past 20k miles
the only things I've done to it are oil changes!!
In the same amount of time I had to bring my BMW in several times to
the dealer (factory BMW cooling systems are weak - this is easy to fix
with aftermarket cooling system - but it is annoying while car is
under warranty). Several of my friends have MB S class cars (a few
500's and 1 420). These cars are constantly at mechanic. Much more
than the BMW. Years range from 1987 - 2005. All of them have serious
electrical problems along with less serious (but annoying)
mechanical. I've noticed lots of people in USA who buy german cars
only keep them for 1st 3 years then get rid of them. Keeping a german
car in USA without warranty (factory or extended) is foolish!! This
is the current state of german autos in USA.

The Lexus doesn't feel as good as the BMW (I had 5 series) but it is
extremely reliable! I've gotten to the point that I'm willing to give
up the great road feel of the BMW for excellent reliability of the
Lexus. My next car will be the LS460. I looked at the 7 series BMW
but after looking at their reliability issues (about same as MB cars)
I changed my mind! To get my 'need for speed' I purchased 2
motorcycles. A Suzuki Boulevard C90T (a very comfy cruiser) and a
Suzuki SV650 (a v-twin sport bike) for track use. These bikes are a
blast to ride!! They are also extremely reliable!!

Don't know if my solution will work for others, but this is what I
came up with. The motorcycles have the great handling of the BMW
(without all the breakdowns) and the Lexus has great luxury (without
all the breakdowns).

This solution also costs WAY less $$$ than owning a german luxury
car!! Lots of fun and MUCH less frustration.

Good luck!!

Oskar


Howard

unread,
Oct 5, 2009, 12:17:42 PM10/5/09
to
The North American Market is still the major volume market for the
world. If you want to sell volume, then you have to sell more cars in
North America. The fact that 190D cars with roll up windows have sold
well in Germany has nothing to do with sales volume globally and since
the German market is and has been fully saturated, there can be no
gains there. I have seen basement level Mercedeses sold in North
Africa and some other parts of the world as taxis, however they do not
sell in other parts of Europe, England, North America or Asia. As much
as Mercedes has previously wanted to sell lower priced volume product,
they were entirely unsuccessful anywhere outside of Germany in any
volumes that mattered. The current C Class is of course successful in
doing so for the past ten years, and the sales of their higher end
vehicles went up with the debt bubble. The Mercedes Company today, its
mission and market position is very different than it was 20 years ago
when it sold only to the wealthy.

I disagree that particular factories in either North America or South
Africa are responsible for the "bad cars". Fundementally, it is an
engineering and production method issue more than individual
manufacturing mistakes, although those are a problem too. Actually my
mother-in-law's 2002 MY AMG CLK, had every type of problem. The
electronic braking still doesn't work reliably and never will due to
bad engineering, the electronic starting system failed from cheap
manufacturing quality at a vendor, the engine had to be completely
rebuilt (at 2,500 miles) due to manufacturing error at AMG. The other
ancillary break downs have been more normal problems, but to say that
because the car had been made in Germany means that it is better than
cars made elsewhere is belied by the record of this German built
Mercedes.

To me the problems at Mercedes Benz are systemic from ownership,
straight through management to manufacturing and finally to the dealer
network which has been expanded and pressed for higher sales volumes.
At no point in the chain is there to be found the luxury ownership
experience that one had in buying the car from 1970 to 1990. The
company is engaged in brand debasement, and the quality of the cars
has followed the path set by that management strategy. That's how I
see it.

On Oct 2, 11:44 am, "Dori A Schmetterling" <nob...@spam.co.uk> wrote:
> Not necessarily or depends what you mean.
>
> Mercs -- C & E Class -- have been in the Top-5-selling cars in Germany for
> years.  Not sure this year, haven't checked.
>
> Even 20 years ago the W123 200D sold extremely well to business (incl taxi
> companies, of corse) because it was reliable and very economical (incl low
> depreciation rates).
>
> You never see the smaller-engined models in the US, from what I can make
> out.
>
> DAS

> [...]

erschro...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 5, 2009, 5:15:12 PM10/5/09
to
On Oct 3, 8:52 pm, "pheoni...@gmail.com" <pheoni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 1, 5:17 am, Figaro <ponsell...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Is it because you think it's a status symbol and therefore overlook
> > its lackluster quality?
>
> > Since when did MB quality get so bad and why?
>
> > As a prospective MB buyer I would like to know.
>
> > Figaro
>
> If you are aware of this why do you keep looking at MB?
> I'm very disappointed with german car quality in general!
> A lexus LS460 will blow away just about any german luxury car.

In what respect? Not power. Not handling. Not braking. Not
styling. Not acceleration.

> I've seen several comparisons with the LS460 vs the S class.
> Several journalists say the Lexus is superior and for about half the
> price.

And who would those journalists be?

>
> Have you seen the Lexus LS460?  It truly is amazing AND RELIABLE!!!!

Also rather bland.

>
> Good luck,
>
> Oskar

erschro...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 5, 2009, 5:18:21 PM10/5/09
to

True, but if that were the main criteria for buying a car, everyone
would be driving Hondas.


>This has been going on for at least 15-20 years now.
> I now have a Lexus LS 430 and I can tell you for the past 20k miles
> the only things I've done to it are oil changes!!

Good for you. You seem to be proud of driving an appliance.


> In the same amount of time I had to bring my BMW in several times to
> the dealer (factory BMW cooling systems are weak - this is easy to fix
> with aftermarket cooling system - but it is annoying while car is
> under warranty).  Several of my friends have MB S class cars (a few
> 500's and 1 420).  These cars are constantly at mechanic.  Much more
> than the BMW.  Years range from 1987 - 2005.  All of them have serious
> electrical problems along with less serious (but annoying)
> mechanical.  I've noticed lots of people in USA who buy german cars
> only keep them for 1st 3 years then get rid of them.  Keeping a german
> car in USA without warranty (factory or extended) is foolish!!  This
> is the current state of german autos in USA.
>

Now they're better. Look at Consumer Reports -- half MBs are reliable
enough to be recommended.

> The Lexus doesn't feel as good as the BMW (I had 5 series) but it is
> extremely reliable!  

So is a refrigerator.


>I've gotten to the point that I'm willing to give
> up the great road feel of the BMW for excellent reliability of the
> Lexus.  My next car will be the LS460.  I looked at the 7 series BMW
> but after looking at their reliability issues (about same as MB cars)
> I changed my mind!  To get my 'need for speed' I purchased 2
> motorcycles.  A Suzuki Boulevard C90T (a very comfy cruiser) and a
> Suzuki SV650 (a v-twin sport bike) for track use.  These bikes are a
> blast to ride!!  They are also extremely reliable!!

OK, I hope you have an organ donor card.

>
> Don't know if my solution will work for others, but this is what I
> came up with.  The motorcycles have the great handling of the BMW
> (without all the breakdowns) and the Lexus has great luxury (without
> all the breakdowns).

Like buying a calculator, a typewriter, and a calendar instead of a
computer, it would seem.

>
> This solution also costs WAY less $$$ than owning a german luxury
> car!!  Lots of fun and MUCH less frustration.

Until your motorcycle turns you into road kill.

>
> Good luck!!
>
> Oskar

Dori A Schmetterling

unread,
Oct 5, 2009, 5:55:22 PM10/5/09
to
"The North American Market is still the major volume market for the
world. If you want to sell volume, then you have to sell more cars in
North America. The fact that 190D cars with roll up windows have sold
well in Germany has nothing to do with sales volume globally and since
the German market is and has been fully saturated, there can be no
gains there. I have seen basement level Mercedeses sold in North
Africa and some other parts of the world as taxis, however they do not
sell in other parts of Europe, England, North America or Asia. As much..."


In my view the above is piffle, as is some of your other stuff. On what
basis do you make this claim?

The German car market may not be as large as the US one but it is still
large. Mercedes is not a global 'volume' saloon car manufacturer like Ford
or Toyota. Their efforts at buying their way in -- Chrysler -- ended in
failure for whatever reason. Mercedes is certainly Europe's (and probably
the world's) largest lorry and bus manufacturer.

They certainly have had and may still some quality problems is known, but
they are past their trough. Your mother's vehicle is already 7 years old
and form that time. Like I said, my regular, non-AMG CLK 2001 Cab has runs
fine and my previous W123 230E went on and on with only one major issue at
60K miles. Years ago my then W123 200 had some engine fault at about 2000
miles; engine replaced under warranty, no more problems.

Given the range of models and extras they sell to 'rich' and 'poor' alike.
Why is it relevant that only relatively few people can afford a full-spec
S500?


DAS
--

To send an e-mail directly replace "spam" with "schmetterling"
---
"Howard" <ho...@juno.com> wrote in message

news:36826b1e-fd67-4d45...@x5g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

pheo...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 5, 2009, 8:16:46 PM10/5/09
to
On Oct 5, 4:18 pm, "erschroedin...@gmail.com"

wow,
u seem like one of those old fools who's in denial that MB quality
stinks.
How logical is it to pay double, triple or even more than that for a
MB that spends way too much time having to be repaired!!!
that is a picture of a fool if you ask me!
Oh, but MB is a status symbol...whatever! It's a head-trip!

If you had read my post you'd see I had what would be considered a
fine german auto but was very disappointed by all the trips to dealer
for repairs.
When you have to drive a loaner car because your car has 'issues', it
doesn't matter how fast your car is or how it handles!
It's at the repair shop!!! AGAIN!!!

If you enjoy driving loaner cars than I hope you get plenty of that
with your mercedes auto!
I'll be driving MY Lexus!! AGAIN!!!

Oskar

Ximinez

unread,
Oct 6, 2009, 3:19:03 AM10/6/09
to
pheo...@gmail.com wrote:

> How logical is it to pay double, triple or even more than that for a
> MB that spends way too much time having to be repaired!!!
> that is a picture of a fool if you ask me!
> Oh, but MB is a status symbol...whatever! It's a head-trip!

That's the whole point of status symbols. They're expensive and
inefficient, but the fact that you can afford that gives you status.

X.

JD

unread,
Oct 6, 2009, 8:13:30 AM10/6/09
to

Me, I couldn't care less about status symbols
because I really don't give a rip what folks like
you think. My '92 300D has been paid for 10 years,
gets 30mpg, looks like a million bucks and other
than expected repairs at 250,000 miles is as
reliable as a hammer.

Ximinez

unread,
Oct 6, 2009, 9:09:55 AM10/6/09
to
JD wrote:
> Ximinez wrote:
>> pheo...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> How logical is it to pay double, triple or even more than that for a
>>> MB that spends way too much time having to be repaired!!!
>>> that is a picture of a fool if you ask me!
>>> Oh, but MB is a status symbol...whatever! It's a head-trip!
>>
>> That's the whole point of status symbols. They're expensive and
>> inefficient, but the fact that you can afford that gives you status.
>
> Me, I couldn't care less about status symbols because I really don't
> give a rip what folks like you think. My '92 300D has been paid for 10

What exactly do you mean by 'folks like me'?

> years, gets 30mpg, looks like a million bucks and other than expected
> repairs at 250,000 miles is as reliable as a hammer.

Well, good for you!

X.

erschro...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 6, 2009, 11:55:35 AM10/6/09
to

It's getting better. Look at J D Power, or Consumer Reports.

> How logical is it to pay double, triple or even more than that for a
> MB that spends way too much time having to be repaired!!!

See above.

> that is a picture of a fool if you ask me!
> Oh, but MB is a status symbol...whatever!  It's a head-trip!

So are clothes (you could wear sackcloth), house (you could live in a
shack or a tent), ...

>
> If you had read my post you'd see I had what would be considered a
> fine german auto but was very disappointed by all the trips to dealer
> for repairs.

And I told you, M-B quality has improved.

> When you have to drive a loaner car because your car has 'issues', it
> doesn't matter how fast your car is or how it handles!
> It's at the repair shop!!!  AGAIN!!!
>
> If you enjoy driving loaner cars than I hope you get plenty of that
> with your mercedes auto!

In 18 months, my Ml350 has been to the dealer only twice for non-
routine service -- once right after I bought it, when the tire
pressure monitoring system failed, and once for a recall to reweld the
trailer hitch.

> I'll be driving MY Lexus!!  AGAIN!!!


See this recently? Sliding floor mats lead to biggest Toyota, Lexus
recall

Check out http://www.automallusa.net/01/lexus/recalls.html
>
> Oskar

Howard

unread,
Oct 7, 2009, 12:22:55 PM10/7/09
to
On Oct 5, 5:55 pm, "Dori A Schmetterling" <nob...@spam.co.uk> wrote:
> "The North American Market is still the major volume market for the
> world. If you want to sell volume, then you have to sell more cars in
> North America. The fact that 190D cars with roll up windows have sold
> well in Germany has nothing to do with sales volume globally and since
> the German market is and has been fully saturated, there can be no
> gains there. I have seen basement level Mercedeses sold in North
> Africa and some other parts of the world as taxis, however they do not
> sell in other parts of Europe, England, North America or Asia. As much..."
>
> In my view the above is piffle, as is some of your other stuff.  On what
> basis do you make this claim?
>

Piffle is a little insulting. I could say the same thing about your
assertion that Germany is the most important car market in the world.
If we were talking about France and England as well as Germany being
major markets for base model Mercedes Benz then you might have a leg
to stand on, but Germany itself is just too small to make a real
difference to Mercedes sales volumes. I base my assertions on changes
in Mercedes sales number over the past 15 years. Look them up.

All of what I have said is of course my opinion. I believe that there
has been a drive from ownership of the company to increase sales
volumes and that drive has lead to a fall in quality over the past 15
years.

In my first post, I stated that IMHO the quality of their cars hit its
nadir in 2003-04. Yes, the CLK is almost 7 years old now from
prodcution (5 from delivery), but it was given as example of the types
of quality problems that the company was experiencing then. It was not
meant as an example of build quality today. That would be silly. The C
class that we bought 2 years ago has been more reliable, but like the
CLK it is only one car so who cares what happens with either of them.

The OP asked for opinions as to what caused Mercedes quality to fall.
My opinion is that increased sales volumes as well as the inclusion of
too much new content too fast caused that drop in quality. IMHO all of
the German car companies have fallen into the trap of building over
contented cars that have too little engineering time spent on new
systems, but that does not explain all of what has been seen in poor
build quality. There are also problems coming from the assembly
process itself. I do not think that blaming any particular factory,
which has been a popular thing to do in the car community, holds
water. I think that it is the chosen manucturing process that is more
at fault. I further believe that these changes were intentionally come
to by ownership to increase sales volumes across the price range.

You ask for support for my opinions. It is an opinion. I am not going
to support it. You can believe what you want to believe, and I will
believe what I want to believe. The facts that I base my opinion on
are mostly widely avaialable, and I have merely come to a different
conclusion. Have a great day, and enjoy your car.

erschro...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 7, 2009, 3:49:36 PM10/7/09
to
On Oct 7, 12:22 pm, Howard <ho...@juno.com> wrote:
> On Oct 5, 5:55 pm, "Dori A Schmetterling" <nob...@spam.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > "The North American Market is still the major volume market for the
> > world. If you want to sell volume, then you have to sell more cars in
> > North America. The fact that 190D cars with roll up windows have sold
> > well in Germany has nothing to do with sales volume globally and since
> > the German market is and has been fully saturated, there can be no
> > gains there. I have seen basement level Mercedeses sold in North
> > Africa and some other parts of the world as taxis, however they do not
> > sell in other parts of Europe, England, North America or Asia. As much..."
>
> > In my view the above is piffle, as is some of your other stuff.  On what
> > basis do you make this claim?
>
> Piffle is a little insulting. I could say the same thing about your
> assertion that Germany is the most important car market in the world.
> If we were talking about France and England as well as Germany being
> major markets for base model Mercedes Benz then you might have a leg
> to stand on, but Germany itself is just too small to make a real
> difference to Mercedes sales volumes.

Actually it's Mercedes' biggest market by volume. Get the Daimler
annual report and read it.


>I base my assertions on changes
> in Mercedes sales number over the past 15 years. Look them up.
>

I have -- they're in the Daimler annual report.

Dori A Schmetterling

unread,
Oct 7, 2009, 4:47:52 PM10/7/09
to
Quite!

To Howard re "your assertion that Germany is the most important car market
in the world."

That, too, is piffle, as I made no such claim. Nor did you provide any
support for your claim about MB cars being for the wealthy, even 20 years
ago.

I think my use of the word is quite justified, as it means "nonsense":

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/piffle?view=uk


" It is an opinion. I am not going to support it." Correct.

"The facts that I base my opinion on are mostly widely avaialable..."
That's the question!

The fact that MB had quality issues on some models is not in dispute, and I
am sure the heavy loading with 'cutting-edge' electroncs has something to do
with it. Furthermore there have been and probably still are dealer issues
in Europe and North America, though I have been lucky with my experiences.
The Merc-owned garage I use in west London (no sales showroom attached!) has
given me very good service without always trying to charge me top dollar.

To counteract problems in the UK the company bought up the dealerships in
the three (or four, can't remember) main metropolitan areas as they became
available, having previously only owned a handful (or less).

DAS

To send an e-mail directly replace "spam" with "schmetterling"
---

<erschro...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:5fca6194-ab28-4c94...@a6g2000vbp.googlegroups.com...

pheo...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 7, 2009, 9:55:56 PM10/7/09
to
On Oct 6, 10:55 am, "erschroedin...@gmail.com"

Lexus has a recall for floor mats!!!
MB has serious electrical and mechanical problems!
I don't have a problem with my floor mats (attached to floor near seat
bolts with hooks).
If I did have bad floor mats, I'd remove them - problem solved.
Try that with any german auto with electrical/mechanical problems :)
If only it was that simple to fix...

Oskar

erschro...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 8, 2009, 6:07:36 PM10/8/09
to

Really? You can cite a recent recall?

> I don't have a problem with my floor mats (attached to floor near seat
> bolts with hooks).
> If I did have bad floor mats, I'd remove them - problem solved.

Wouldn't you think the Lexus product planners and engineers might have
noticed something as obvious and as simple as the floor mats? Lots
easier to see a problem with them than some electronic device.

pheo...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 8, 2009, 8:07:45 PM10/8/09
to
On Oct 8, 5:07 pm, "erschroedin...@gmail.com"

Lexus isn't the one with aweful reliability issues! That's Mercedes
(as well as other german cars).
Lexus is famous for RELIABLE!!


Roland Franzius

unread,
Oct 9, 2009, 4:57:17 AM10/9/09
to
pheo...@gmail.com schrieb:

>
> Lexus isn't the one with aweful reliability issues! That's Mercedes
> (as well as other german cars).
> Lexus is famous for RELIABLE!!

Perhaps you should read the statistics of the German automobile club
ADAC. Without any doubt the German auto market is the most important in
the world with respect to engineering and testing.

The ADAC has its road assistance service and without any prejudice gives
the number of events recorded on the German autobahn system for each
brand and type. After a decade of leading places in reliability by
Japanese brands - especially Toyota - they see a steady decline in
reliability of Japanese cars. Nearly all leading places in all classes
go now to cars from MB, BMW, VW, AUDI and Citroen.


http://www1.adac.de/adac-im-einsatz/motorwelt/m_archiv/pannenstatistik/2007.asp?ComponentID=212231&SourcePageID=214856
http://www1.adac.de/Auto_Motorrad/pannenstatistik_maengelforum/pannenstatistik_2008/tab.asp?ComponentID=250016&SourcePageID=250114
http://www1.adac.de/Auto_Motorrad/pannenstatistik_maengelforum/pannenstatistik_2008/deutsche_autos_ganz_vorn/default.asp?ComponentID=249532&SourcePageID=250114


Of course they dont ask the owners if they are satisfied with what they
got for their money. Thats of interest for selling policy only. With
respect to the Lexus especially in Germany: If you buy a Lexus you will
have problems to sell it after some years. There is no second hand
market for not so much appreciated used luxury cars.

--

Roland Franzius

erschro...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 9, 2009, 9:40:34 AM10/9/09
to

Did you see all the recalls?

And yes, Lexus is famous for being reliable. And boring, drab,
unexciting, uninvolving ... in other words, the perfect car for people
who think of their car like their refrigerator.

Dori A Schmetterling

unread,
Oct 9, 2009, 6:07:01 PM10/9/09
to
These ADAC statistics are useful (you don't have a link to the full results,
so you, or does it need a subscription?). I have not seen them in years,
before which I saw them annually. I concur that in all classes where the
Japanese brands were represented they came top. Interesting that they don't
anymore.

One should add that only makes selling >10 000 per year are included (or
whatever the number is now).

The once thing that the statistics do not take into account is the mileage.
Thus the big Mercs and BMWs seemed to have a lot of various faults, but when
normalised by mileage (many of these big saloons incurred very high annual
mileages) they were not really bad.

It is a real pity that the British equivalent of the ADAC, the Automobile
Association (AA) or its slightly smaller sister (RAC) do not publish their
breakdown stats. I suppose they are too scared of the manufacturers. Maybe
it won't look good when Britain's best-selling cars like the Ford Focus turn
out to be 'lemons'...

DAS

To send an e-mail directly replace "spam" with "schmetterling"
---

"Roland Franzius" <roland....@uos.de> wrote in message
news:hamtta$42s$1...@newsserver.rrzn.uni-hannover.de...
[...]


>
> The ADAC has its road assistance service and without any prejudice gives
> the number of events recorded on the German autobahn system for each brand
> and type. After a decade of leading places in reliability by Japanese
> brands - especially Toyota - they see a steady decline in reliability of
> Japanese cars. Nearly all leading places in all classes go now to cars
> from MB, BMW, VW, AUDI and Citroen.
>
>
> http://www1.adac.de/adac-im-einsatz/motorwelt/m_archiv/pannenstatistik/2007.asp?ComponentID=212231&SourcePageID=214856
> http://www1.adac.de/Auto_Motorrad/pannenstatistik_maengelforum/pannenstatistik_2008/tab.asp?ComponentID=250016&SourcePageID=250114
> http://www1.adac.de/Auto_Motorrad/pannenstatistik_maengelforum/pannenstatistik_2008/deutsche_autos_ganz_vorn/default.asp?ComponentID=249532&SourcePageID=250114
>

[...]


pheo...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 10, 2009, 2:44:21 AM10/10/09
to
On Oct 9, 3:57 am, Roland Franzius <roland.franz...@uos.de> wrote:
> pheoni...@gmail.com schrieb:

>
>
>
> > Lexus isn't the one with aweful reliability issues!  That's Mercedes
> > (as well as other german cars).
> > Lexus is famous for RELIABLE!!
>
> Perhaps you should read the statistics of the German automobile club
> ADAC. Without any doubt the German auto market is the most important in
> the world with respect to engineering and testing.
>
> The ADAC has its road assistance service and without any prejudice gives
> the number of events recorded on the German autobahn system for each
> brand and type. After a decade of leading places in reliability by
> Japanese brands - especially Toyota - they see a steady decline in
> reliability of Japanese cars. Nearly all leading places in all classes
> go now to cars from MB, BMW, VW, AUDI and Citroen.
>
> http://www1.adac.de/adac-im-einsatz/motorwelt/m_archiv/pannenstatisti...http://www1.adac.de/Auto_Motorrad/pannenstatistik_maengelforum/pannen...http://www1.adac.de/Auto_Motorrad/pannenstatistik_maengelforum/pannen...

>
> Of course they dont ask the owners if they are satisfied with what they
> got for their money. Thats of interest for selling policy only. With
> respect to the Lexus especially in Germany: If you buy a Lexus you will
> have problems to sell it after some years. There is no second hand
> market for not so much appreciated used luxury cars.
>
> --
>
> Roland Franzius

I can't say anything for the validity of what you're posting. I'm in
USA.
I can state in USA german cars have poor reliablity. This is from
consumer reports, NHTSA, JD Powers.
This is for at least the past 10 years. Lexus has won 14 years for JD
Powers dependability.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/07/lexus-leads-j-d-power-dependability-study-14th-year-straight/

No german auto maker can claim this. I'm pretty sure more autos are
sold in USA than Germany.

Interesting to see the results from different markets....
I can say that I believe European drivers are probably safer (better)
drivers than most Americans.
There are way too many drunk driving accidents/deaths in USA.

Oskar

Dori A Schmetterling

unread,
Oct 10, 2009, 5:02:23 AM10/10/09
to
Are you suggesting that the largest motoring organsation in Europe is
producing lies?

The difference between publications like Consumer Reports and the ADAC
breakdown statistics is that the latter is based on facts.

The statistics are based on actual breakdowns they have handled, and have
nothing to do with perceptions and prejudice, nor with quality of driving or
rate of accidents. However, quality of maintenance may have a bearing.

Try asking the AAA for its annual figures. I bet they have them. If they
don't, they're daft.

DAS

To send an e-mail directly replace "spam" with "schmetterling"
---

<pheo...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:0e8fcb4c-90eb-4769...@x37g2000yqj.googlegroups.com...
[...]

pheo...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 11, 2009, 6:31:45 PM10/11/09
to
On Oct 10, 4:02 am, "Dori A Schmetterling" <nob...@spam.co.uk> wrote:
> Are you suggesting that the largest motoring organsation in Europe is
> producing lies?
>
> The difference between publications like Consumer Reports and the ADAC
> breakdown statistics is that the latter is based on facts.
>
> The statistics are based on actual breakdowns they have handled, and have
> nothing to do with perceptions and prejudice, nor with quality of driving or
> rate of accidents.  However, quality of maintenance may have a bearing.
>
> Try asking the AAA  for its annual figures.  I bet they have them.  If they
> don't, they're daft.
>
> DAS
>
> To send an e-mail directly replace "spam" with "schmetterling"
> ---<pheoni...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>
> news:0e8fcb4c-90eb-4769...@x37g2000yqj.googlegroups.com...
> [...]
>
>
>
>
>
> > Perhaps you should read the statistics of the German automobile club
> > ADAC. Without any doubt the German auto market is the most important in
> > the world with respect to engineering and testing.
>
> > The ADAC has its road assistance service and without any prejudice gives
> > the number of events recorded on the German autobahn system for each
> > brand and type. After a decade of leading places in reliability by
> > Japanese brands - especially Toyota - they see a steady decline in
> > reliability of Japanese cars. Nearly all leading places in all classes
> > go now to cars from MB, BMW, VW, AUDI and Citroen.
>
> >http://www1.adac.de/adac-im-einsatz/motorwelt/m_archiv/pannenstatisti......

>
> > Of course they dont ask the owners if they are satisfied with what they
> > got for their money. Thats of interest for selling policy only. With
> > respect to the Lexus especially in Germany: If you buy a Lexus you will
> > have problems to sell it after some years. There is no second hand
> > market for not so much appreciated used luxury cars.
>
> > --
>
> > Roland Franzius
>
> I can't say anything for the validity of what you're posting.  I'm in
> USA.
> I can state in USA german cars have poor reliablity.  This is from
> consumer reports, NHTSA, JD Powers.
> This is for at least the past 10 years.  Lexus has won 14 years for JD
> Powers dependability.
>
> http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/07/lexus-leads-j-d-power-dependabilit...

>
> No german auto maker can claim this.  I'm pretty sure more autos are
> sold in USA than Germany.
>
> Interesting to see the results from different markets....
> I can say that I believe European drivers are probably safer (better)
> drivers than most Americans.
> There are way too many drunk driving accidents/deaths in USA.
>
> Oskar

If you would take the time to read the NHTSA website:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/
you would see they also gather their info from stats, not from
opinions.

Since I can't understand German I have no idea what the link you
provided says!
However, it does seem very convenient that ADAC gives all german autos
the highest marks.
That does seem VERY convenient.

In USA, the big auto makers don't like stats for breakdowns to be
published.
There have been several lawsuits over making this kind of info public.

Consumer reports (among others) has been through several big law suits
due to this.
From what I recall, the supreme courts usually side with consumer
reports most of the time.

Consumer reports got sued by smarter image for making information
public regarding the poor performance of 'ionic breeze' air purifier.
According to the commercials the smarter image product was the best
you can get.
After consumer reports did scientific testing, the results showed the
smarter image product had poor performance!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16715088/

As you can see above, smarter image settled the case because it was
obvious as hell their product wasn't all it was hyped to be.

Car companies do the same thing....
http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/17/autos/pluggedin_Taylor_Mercedes.fortune/index.htm

Dori A Schmetterling

unread,
Oct 12, 2009, 2:58:51 AM10/12/09
to
I gave no link.

Your problem seems to be that you can't stand 'German cars' being top of the
table.

The point the OP was making was that after years of Japanese cars dominating
most of the tables they are slipping down. If you bother to read the rest
of the related correspondence, incl mine, you will see that only cars that
exceed a certain sales figure (10 000 per year when I was readin the tables)
are included to ensure some statistical validity.

The ADAC does not issue opinions.

DAS
--

To send an e-mail directly replace "spam" with "schmetterling"
---

<pheo...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:8084801f-60c6-4deb...@d34g2000vbm.googlegroups.com...
[...]

Dori A Schmetterling

unread,
Oct 12, 2009, 8:11:41 AM10/12/09
to
PS. The data the ADAC publishes is very detailed. What Roland Franzius
posted is just the 'tip of the iceberg'.

The info is classified by class of car (e.g. compact, medium, large etc) and
type of breakdown, such as electrical and so on.

The only shortcoming that I saw was that there was no relation between
frequency of breakdown and annual mileage covered. Thus the bigger saloons
tended to have more breakdowns, but it was also known that these tended to
cover greater distances. However failures per mile was not calculated.

I have not seen the detail myself for years as my access to the members'
magazine ended, so don't know exactly what they publish these days. Maybe
Roland can tell us.

I had a quick look at the NHTSA website you (pheonix1) mentioned but could
not easily see breakdown statistics. Anyway, unless the AAA and similar
organisations report their internal data to the government, the NHTSA would
have no insight into what actually happens.

All I saw was a Recalls section, which is not the same thing.

Your statement


"In USA, the big auto makers don't like stats for breakdowns to be
published. There have been several lawsuits over making this kind of info
public."

says it all.

And why don't they like it? Because it would show them up.

I think this supports Roland F's contention that "the German auto market is

the most important in the world with respect to engineering and testing."

It is the only one where the mechanical facts about cars are made public.

Read his post again, this time more carefully.

DAS

To send an e-mail directly replace "spam" with "schmetterling"
---

"Dori A Schmetterling" <nob...@spam.co.uk> wrote in message
news:5I6dneIdgYgQTk_X...@pipex.net...

erschro...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 12, 2009, 4:20:47 PM10/12/09
to
On Oct 10, 2:44 am, "pheoni...@gmail.com" <pheoni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 9, 3:57 am, Roland Franzius <roland.franz...@uos.de> wrote:
>
>
>
> > pheoni...@gmail.com schrieb:
>
> > > Lexus isn't the one with aweful reliability issues!  That's Mercedes
> > > (as well as other german cars).
> > > Lexus is famous for RELIABLE!!
>
> > Perhaps you should read the statistics of the German automobile club
> > ADAC. Without any doubt the German auto market is the most important in
> > the world with respect to engineering and testing.
>
> > The ADAC has its road assistance service and without any prejudice gives
> > the number of events recorded on the German autobahn system for each
> > brand and type. After a decade of leading places in reliability by
> > Japanese brands - especially Toyota - they see a steady decline in
> > reliability of Japanese cars. Nearly all leading places in all classes
> > go now to cars from MB, BMW, VW, AUDI and Citroen.
>
> >http://www1.adac.de/adac-im-einsatz/motorwelt/m_archiv/pannenstatisti......

>
> > Of course they dont ask the owners if they are satisfied with what they
> > got for their money. Thats of interest for selling policy only. With
> > respect to the Lexus especially in Germany: If you buy a Lexus you will
> > have problems to sell it after some years. There is no second hand
> > market for not so much appreciated used luxury cars.
>
> > --
>
> > Roland Franzius
>
> I can't say anything for the validity of what you're posting.  I'm in
> USA.
> I can state in USA german cars have poor reliablity.  

Some do, some don't.


>This is from
> consumer reports, NHTSA, JD Powers.

Again, some do and some don't. And NHTSA doesn't track or tank
reliability. That you think they do, well...

> This is for at least the past 10 years.  Lexus has won 14 years for JD
> Powers dependability.

Yes, I agree, Lexus is reliable (although last year one model was not
recommended by Consumer Reports due to sub-par reliability). But if
that's all that matters, we'd all be driving a Prius (tops in
reliability).

>
> http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/07/lexus-leads-j-d-power-dependabilit...

erschro...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 12, 2009, 4:22:32 PM10/12/09
to

What stats?


>
> Since I can't understand German I have no idea what the link you
> provided says!
> However, it does seem very convenient that ADAC gives all german autos
> the highest marks.
> That does seem VERY convenient.
>
> In USA, the big auto makers don't like stats for breakdowns to be
> published.
> There have been several lawsuits over making this kind of info public.

Name the lawsuits.

>
> Consumer reports (among others) has been through several big law suits
> due to this.

CR was sued by Suzuki for saying the Samurai tips over too easily.
That's the only auto maker that's sued that I know of. Nothing about
reliability.


> From what I recall, the supreme courts usually side with consumer
> reports most of the time.
>
> Consumer reports got sued by smarter image for making information
> public regarding the poor performance of 'ionic breeze' air purifier.
> According to the commercials the smarter image product was the best
> you can get.
> After consumer reports did scientific testing, the results showed the
> smarter image product had poor performance!!
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16715088/
>
> As you can see above, smarter image settled the case because it was
> obvious as hell their product wasn't all it was hyped to be.

What does that have to do with reliability data?

>
> Car companies do the same thing....http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/17/autos/pluggedin_Taylor_Mercedes.fortu...

pheo...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 13, 2009, 3:49:22 PM10/13/09
to
> "Dori A Schmetterling" <nob...@spam.co.uk> wrote in messagenews:5I6dneIdgYgQTk_X...@pipex.net...

>
> >I gave no link.
>
> > Your problem seems to be that you can't stand 'German cars' being top of
> > the table.
>
> > The point the OP was making was that after years of Japanese cars
> > dominating most of the tables they are slipping down.  If you bother to
> > read the rest of the related correspondence, incl mine, you will see that
> > only cars that exceed a certain sales figure (10 000 per year when I was
> > readin the tables) are included to ensure some statistical validity.
>
> > The ADAC does not issue opinions.
>
> > DAS
> > --
> > To send an e-mail directly replace "spam" with "schmetterling"
> > ---
> > <pheoni...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/17/autos/pluggedin_Taylor_Mercedes.fortu...

DAS,
I think what you are saying is correct. I do notice that getting
accurate information about this sort of thing is hard!
I do not recall the law suits regarding automakers in USA blocking
breakdown info being made public but I'm sure google can show it!

Oskar

-hh

unread,
Oct 28, 2009, 9:52:31 AM10/28/09
to
"pheoni...@gmail.com" <pheoni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Dori A Schmetterling" <nob...@spam.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > PS.  The data the ADAC publishes is very detailed.  What Roland Franzius
> > posted is just the 'tip of the iceberg'.
> > ...

> > The only shortcoming that I saw was that there was no relation between
> > frequency of breakdown and annual mileage covered.  Thus the bigger
> > saloons tended to have more breakdowns, but it was also known that
> > these tended to cover greater distances.  However failures per mile
> > was not calculated.
> > ...

> DAS,
> I think what you are saying is correct.  I do notice that getting
> accurate information about this sort of thing is hard!

And this includes "In Spades" reading the fine print on any so-called
'data' that is found. For example, the JD Powers report that was
provided has in its caveats:

"...subjectivity can skew the results. For instance, Lexus owners may
tend to report that their vehicles are running just fine out of pride
and loyalty to their brand."

The bottom line is that when you have self-selection bias present and
variations in reportability threshholds, your conclusions are going to
be effectively worthless. FYI, CR has this same problem with under/
over reporting behaviors, which can make its statements also a bit
dicey.

Finally, even if one is able to be fully objective in one's
reliability analysis another factor that needs to be taken into
account is the "period of performance" of interest. For example, one
can design a product so that it has great reliability during its
warranty, but then falls apart, or one can design the product to
generally last, even if this results in more random near-term
failures.

A classic example of this is the Toyota Camry (aka Lexus E250, if you
recall back a few years): it has a great reputation of being trouble-
free for the first ~100K miles ... and then everything breaks down
virtually at once. If you spend several thousand to get all of these
repairs done, the car is then good to around 175K miles...and then you
have another rash of multiple breakdowns again.

As such, if you only keep your Toyota for (proverbially) 99,999 miles
before you sell it, congratulations, you've dodged those failures and
you claim that its reliability is bulletproof ... its merely the 2nd
owner who gets nailed with $5K worth of repairs in his first ~25K
miles, which means that he's going to have an entirely different
opinion on Toyota's reliability.

And all of this is said to simply illustrate that when we take a step
back for a holistic look at reliability, we can see how critically
important it can be for where we choose to draw the lines for our
period of interest.


-hh

Jens

unread,
Nov 4, 2009, 6:18:25 AM11/4/09
to
On Oct 9, 9:57 am, Roland Franzius <roland.franz...@uos.de> wrote:
> pheoni...@gmail.com schrieb:

>
>
>
> > Lexus isn't the one with aweful reliability issues!  That's Mercedes
> > (as well as other german cars).
> > Lexus is famous for RELIABLE!!
>
> Perhaps you should read the statistics of the German automobile club
> ADAC. Without any doubt the German auto market is the most important in
> the world with respect to engineering and testing.
>
> The ADAC has its road assistance service and without any prejudice gives
> the number of events recorded on the German autobahn system for each
> brand and type. After a decade of leading places in reliability by
> Japanese brands - especially Toyota - they see a steady decline in
> reliability of Japanese cars. Nearly all leading places in all classes
> go now to cars from MB, BMW, VW, AUDI and Citroen.
>
> http://www1.adac.de/adac-im-einsatz/motorwelt/m_archiv/pannenstatisti...http://www1.adac.de/Auto_Motorrad/pannenstatistik_maengelforum/pannen...http://www1.adac.de/Auto_Motorrad/pannenstatistik_maengelforum/pannen...

>
> Of course they dont ask the owners if they are satisfied with what they
> got for their money. Thats of interest for selling policy only. With
> respect to the Lexus especially in Germany: If you buy a Lexus you will
> have problems to sell it after some years. There is no second hand
> market for not so much appreciated used luxury cars.
>
> --
>
> Roland Franzius

Funny discussion anyway. People who hate Mercedes but love Lexus
should buy Lexus and stay happy that way.

Here (in Denmark) Mercedes is still a very popular car, in particular
by Taxi owners. Cars are reliable (not wirhout flaws thouh), service
is brilliant (necessary to make up for the flaws) and reselling market
is good. These are all important parameters for their business, and
this makes the picture more complete talking about total reliability.
Another important aspect is the Mercedes spare parts policy. Prices
are in general very reasonable in particular compared to Japanese
cars. And they are almost always readily available from one day to the
next, even for very old models. Japanese cars are usually not
guaranteed supported wtih spare parts for more than 10 years.

Yes, there has in a period been some serious flaws, which Mercedes was
reluctant to admit. That of course points quite a bit downwards, but
not enough to make people like me stop loving it.

Roland Franzius

unread,
Nov 4, 2009, 8:32:16 AM11/4/09
to
Jens schrieb:

> On Oct 9, 9:57 am, Roland Franzius <roland.franz...@uos.de> wrote:
>> pheoni...@gmail.com schrieb:
>>
>>
>>
>>> Lexus isn't the one with aweful reliability issues! That's Mercedes
>>> (as well as other german cars).
>>> Lexus is famous for RELIABLE!!
>> Perhaps you should read the statistics of the German automobile club
>> ADAC. Without any doubt the German auto market is the most important in
>> the world with respect to engineering and testing.
>>
>> The ADAC has its road assistance service and without any prejudice gives
>> the number of events recorded on the German autobahn system for each
>> brand and type. After a decade of leading places in reliability by
>> Japanese brands - especially Toyota - they see a steady decline in
>> reliability of Japanese cars. Nearly all leading places in all classes
>> go now to cars from MB, BMW, VW, AUDI and Citroen.
>>
>> http://www1.adac.de/adac-im-einsatz/motorwelt/m_archiv/pannenstatisti...http://www1.adac.de/Auto_Motorrad/pannenstatistik_maengelforum/pannen...http://www1.adac.de/Auto_Motorrad/pannenstatistik_maengelforum/pannen...
>>
>> Of course they dont ask the owners if they are satisfied with what they
>> got for their money. Thats of interest for selling policy only. With
>> respect to the Lexus especially in Germany: If you buy a Lexus you will
>> have problems to sell it after some years. There is no second hand
>> market for not so much appreciated used luxury cars.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Roland Franzius
>
> Funny discussion anyway. People who hate Mercedes but love Lexus
> should buy Lexus and stay happy that way.


You are right of course, its a matter of taste and money. The L.A. Times
just had an article about a new Lexus. Here is a link and a picture

http://www.autospies.com/news/LA-Times-Writer-HAMMERS-Design-Of-New-Lexus-HS250h-Sedan-49279/

--

Roland Franzius

Bill G.

unread,
Nov 4, 2009, 8:47:48 AM11/4/09
to
My wife wanted a 2009 Hyundai Sonata. I got that for her, but I will always
love, drive and keep on fixing up. My 1989 560 SEL is part of me. I will
keep her and hope that my son (6 yo) will keep it after I'm gone. I always
wanted that car and I have gotten her, she will always be my obsession. For
all who want a Lexus, Infinities, etc..... get and enjoy yours too!


"Jens" <je...@minnet.dk> wrote in message
news:aede91f2-381f-4ead...@o10g2000yqa.googlegroups.com...

Wan-ning Tan

unread,
Nov 5, 2009, 12:41:49 AM11/5/09
to
Very true. The parts availability is an important factor that buys me
into Mercedes, especially I do most of the work myself. For example,
the parts for my 84 190D are easily available from multiple sources.
However, there were many instances when I cannot get parts for 15+ years
old American or Japanese cars then I had to go to junkyards.

JD

unread,
Nov 5, 2009, 1:56:22 AM11/5/09
to
Wan-ning Tan wrote:
> Very true. The parts availability is an important factor that buys me
> into Mercedes, especially I do most of the work myself. For example,
> the parts for my 84 190D are easily available from multiple sources.
> However, there were many instances when I cannot get parts for 15+ years
> old American or Japanese cars then I had to go to junkyards.

I don't have any issues concerning parts *availability* for my '92 300D,
it's the fact that half the time the parts I get (OEM stuff, mind you)
is defective. I love my old Merc and when I finally get a good part the
car feels like it's worth it to fix it but this is getting to be a PITA
that I never experienced with any of my Japanese cars. 14 freakin'
injectors to get 5 good ones?!??

Roland Franzius

unread,
Nov 5, 2009, 4:02:38 AM11/5/09
to
JD schrieb:

> Wan-ning Tan wrote:
>> Very true. The parts availability is an important factor that buys me
>> into Mercedes, especially I do most of the work myself. For example,
>> the parts for my 84 190D are easily available from multiple sources.
>> However, there were many instances when I cannot get parts for 15+
>> years old American or Japanese cars then I had to go to junkyards.
>
> I don't have any issues concerning parts *availability* for my '92 300D,
> it's the fact that half the time the parts I get (OEM stuff, mind you)
> is defective. I love my old Merc and when I finally get a good part the
> car feels like it's worth it to fix it but this is getting to be a PITA
> that I never experienced with any of my Japanese cars. 14 freakin'
> injectors to get 5 good ones?!??

Are you shure they are new? There is a hugh worldwide market for used
polished MB parts. At ebay.de you get MB parts "new" for about 1/3 of
the shop price. No warranty of course, but return possibility. I tried a
"new" headlamp washer motor, but it was broken internally. Probably the
result of a head on accident.

--

Roland Franzius

JD

unread,
Nov 5, 2009, 10:36:17 AM11/5/09
to

Yes, they were new in most cases and Bosch factory re-manufactured in
the case of the half the injectors. My indy mech shares my distrust of
junk parts.

Wan-ning Tan

unread,
Nov 6, 2009, 12:33:40 AM11/6/09
to
Where do these junk parts come from? Off eBay? or dealer? Is there
any warranty? How was the defective found? After installation? Is it
possible the mechanic made mistake? I am not blaming him. I did
mistake. However, getting defective parts is rare to me. It did happen
but no way close to 35%.

Albatros

unread,
Nov 12, 2009, 12:20:38 PM11/12/09
to
I don´t know what are you talking about. My 1989 Mercedes W124 is very
good quality construction. I am using it today, 20 years after
production.

Present engines are a lot better than old engines.

Anyway, I don´t like the look of new Mercedes, those that look like
japanese or korean.

My advice: If you don´t like Mercedes, don´t buy it. Buy a japanese,
they have very good cars. Don´t worry about us.

Be happy.

Have a good purchase.

Collin Brendemuehl

unread,
Nov 18, 2009, 1:07:58 PM11/18/09
to
On Oct 1, 5:17 am, Figaro <ponsell...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is it because you think it's a status symbol and therefore overlook
> its lackluster quality?
>
> Since when did MB quality get so bad and why?
>
> As a prospective MB buyer I would like to know.
>
> Figaro

Yes, there are some things about the construction that I don't like.
My 97 E, and I understand that this is nearly a feature, developed a
shimmy in the lower left ball joint.
But so what? It has a solid ride and reasonable economy. Roughly the
same as my wife's 97 Camry
with more space and comfort.
My 87 300D -- I like the ride but the seats are terrible! If only the
later seats would fit ...
But are they built any worse than anything else? Maybe, but today so
many cars are built so well that there is little to complain about.
Unless you buy a Hyundai.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages