Question about Alesis MultiMix 8 USB FX

SSMusic

Jun 21, 2013, 5:00:57 PM6/21/13
Alesis MultiMix 8 USB FX???
Are the main outputs balanced?
Manual recommends 1/4" TRS cables, but never mentions balanced outputs.
Why?

Steve M

Jun 27, 2013, 11:52:53 AM6/27/13
TRS is supposed to indicate balanced 1/4" connection. Unbalanced would be
TS.
To verify, all you need is a continuity tester and a TRS cable. Plug the
cable into
the jack, and check at the other end.
You should not see continuity if you touch
ring and sleeve with the probes. If otherwise, then it's unbalanced.

---
Steve McQ

Phil Allison

Jun 27, 2013, 10:12:58 PM6/27/13

"Steve McDuck"

> TRS is supposed to indicate balanced 1/4" connection. Unbalanced would be
> TS.
> To verify, all you need is a continuity tester ..

** Who knows what a "continuity tester" is ?

The term could mean all sorts of things including devices that would damage
a mixer.

> and a TRS cable. Plug the cable into
> the jack, and check at the other end.
> You should not see continuity if you touch
> ring and sleeve with the probes.

** Many does would fail your test yet they have balanced outputs.

If the OP used a multimeter on the ohms range and found a resistance of
under 1ohm - then it is safe to conclude the outputs are unbalanced.

... Phil

Phil Allison

Jun 27, 2013, 10:35:29 PM6/27/13

"Phil Allison"

> ** Many MIXERS would fail your test yet they have balanced outputs.

geoff

Jun 28, 2013, 3:02:22 AM6/28/13

"Phil Allison" <phi...@tpg.com.au> wrote in message

> The term could mean all sorts of things including devices that would
> damage a mixer.

Yeah - a "continuity tester" could be a poweer lead with phase and neutral
to see if the fuse blows. Fwit.

geoff

geoff

Jun 28, 2013, 3:03:33 AM6/28/13

"SSMusic" <sstod...@gmail.com> wrote in message
If it wasn't actually balanced output, it would be pretty much as case of
evil trickery to specify TRS outputs.

geoff

Phil Allison

Jun 28, 2013, 3:39:21 AM6/28/13

"geoff the kiwi spastic " <ge...@nospampaf.co.nz>

> "Phil Allison"
>>

>> The term could mean all sorts of things including devices that would
>> damage a mixer.
>
> Yeah - a "continuity tester" could be

** A 12V battery and a lamp.

You steaming, great, sheep fucking moron.

... Phil

Steve M

Jun 28, 2013, 7:32:49 AM6/28/13

"Phil Allison" inexplicably wrote:
> ** Who knows what a "continuity tester" is ?

I do.

Shame that you seem not to, given your claims of being a tech, and all.

--
Steve McQ

Sean Conolly

Jun 28, 2013, 10:59:49 AM6/28/13
"geoff" <ge...@nospampaf.co.nz> wrote in message
They could simply be impedance-balanced outputs.

Sean

Phil Allison

Jun 28, 2013, 8:59:25 PM6/28/13

"Steve McDuck"

> "Phil Allison"
>> ** Who knows what a "continuity tester" is ?
>>
>> The term could mean all sorts of things including devices that would
>> damage a mixer.
>

> I do.

** Like hell you do - you stupid, lying bullshitter.

Phil Allison

Jun 29, 2013, 3:28:47 AM6/29/13

"Sean Conolly"
> "geoff"
>> "SSMusic"
>>> Alesis MultiMix 8 USB FX???
>>> Are the main outputs balanced?
>>> Manual recommends 1/4" TRS cables, but never mentions balanced outputs.
>>> Why?
>>
>> If it wasn't actually balanced output, it would be pretty much as case of
>> evil trickery to specify TRS outputs.
>>

> They could simply be impedance-balanced outputs.

** Yep - just a low value (circa 100 - 220ohm) resistor in the return
path from ring to ground.

That is why I was concerned that some undefined "continuity tester" might
burn the resistor or even fail to see it all and indicate a short circuit.

... Phil

Steve M

Jun 29, 2013, 8:30:09 AM6/29/13

"Phil The Asshole Allison" wrote:

> you stupid, lying bullshitter.

Here's a question I know I've asked you at least once, yet you never
answered.
I will ask again, but you'll probably dodge it, as always.

When was the last time that you actually worked on a show/gig?

I get the impression that your experience in live sound is very limited.
I have to wonder if you've ever worked more than a few shows, given the way
you
conduct yourself on this NG. I know that a guy like you would not get hired
much due to your personality
disorder.

I also recall asking if you still have all your teeth. If you speak to
people in person the same way you address
folks here, I suspect you've had your jaw broken a few times, at the very
least.

--
Steve McQ