I'm a little confused

Tags

Mar 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/9/00
I'm 18, and reading the replies to blue_rider's message, I saw that most
people here are in their 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's - i.e. older than me.
Eeek.

Am I alone in my age group here? Have you guys just thought about atheism
more? Am I not supposed to care? I've recruited a friend who just recently
got "connected" to alt.atheism and he should be here soon, but he's the only
guy I know who really cares about it all enough to join this group. Any
comments?

--
Tags: af #1730
web design - http://www.limitwebdesign.co.uk

John Cody

Mar 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/9/00

Tags <ta...@limitwebdesign.co.uk> wrote in message

> I'm 18, and reading the replies to blue_rider's message, I saw that most
> people here are in their 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's - i.e. older than me.
> Eeek.
>
> Am I alone in my age group here?

I'm 18!

John Cody

Tags

Eric Gunnerson

Mar 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/9/00
"Tags" <ta...@limitwebdesign.co.uk> wrote in message
> I'm 18, and reading the replies to blue_rider's message, I saw that most
> people here are in their 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's - i.e. older than me.
> Eeek.
>
> Am I alone in my age group here? Have you guys just thought about atheism
> more? Am I not supposed to care? I've recruited a friend who just
recently
> got "connected" to alt.atheism and he should be here soon, but he's the
only
> guy I know who really cares about it all enough to join this group. Any
> comments?

Teenage atheists are fairly rare, simply because most people don't do that
kind of introspection when they're that young; they're usually still under
the impression of the beliefs of their parents. I was probably an atheist
when I was 18, but didn't really realize it until about 5 years later; at
that point in my life, "god" just wasn't particularly relevent.

Please feel free to participate.

Kyle Graba

Mar 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/9/00
In article <8a8tbm$ntb$2...@uranium.btinternet.com>, "Tags"

<ta...@limitwebdesign.co.uk> wrote:
>I'm 18, and reading the replies to blue_rider's message, I saw
that most
>people here are in their 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's - i.e. older
than me.
>Eeek.
>
>Am I alone in my age group here? Have you guys just thought
about atheism
>more? Am I not supposed to care? I've recruited a friend who
just recently
>got "connected" to alt.atheism and he should be here soon, but
he's the only
>guy I know who really cares about it all enough to join this
group. Any
>comments?
>
>--
>Tags: af #1730
>web design - http://www.limitwebdesign.co.uk
>html help - http://www.limitwebdesign.co.uk/htmlhelp/
>--
>"The difference you make makes no difference at all"

I'm 19 and several of my friends (of similar age) here at the
University of Colorado are also atheists.

Kyle Graba
kmg...@mail.uccs.edu

Terry Eden

Mar 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/9/00
Tags <ta...@limitwebdesign.co.uk> wrote in message
> I'm 18, and reading the replies to blue_rider's message, I saw that most
> people here are in their 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's - i.e. older than me.
> Eeek.
>
> Am I alone in my age group here? Have you guys just thought about atheism

I was 18 when I first came here 2 years ago - I share your pain. Too many
people our age just have never though - the education we receive tells us
never to question the facts. Have two teachers as parent, I didn't get off
quite so easily!
Even now, as a second year undergraduate in a reasonably good university I
still find the majority of people have had all powers of reasoning sucked
out of them. It's sad.

Welcome to a.a. There's an awful lot of nonsence going on here, lots of
petty bitching, lots of stupidity, lots of pseudo intellectuals who think
they know better than everyone else, lots of fun. Much like the real
world - but without the smell.

Terry

Der Senfmeister

Mar 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/9/00
"John Cody" <SFJ...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Tags <ta...@limitwebdesign.co.uk> wrote in message
> > I'm 18, and reading the replies to blue_rider's message, I saw that most
> > people here are in their 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's - i.e. older than me.
> > Eeek.
> >
> > Am I alone in my age group here?
>
> I'm 18!
>
> John Cody

Ooh, oooh! Me too! At least until June 24, that is. I've been an atheist
for about two to three years now, and before that I was an inactive Mormon.

--
Der Senfmeister,
a.a #1732

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation,
whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a
reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual
survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts
through fear or ridiculous egotisms.
-- Albert Einstein, obituary in New York Times, 19 April 1955

Aviva

Mar 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/9/00
Hey, go CU atheists! I recently finished a graduate degree at the University
of Colorado at Denver (I'm almost 36, BTW), where I found plenty of atheists
among the undergrads, grads, and professors. Extremely mentally refreshing!

Aviva
Returning atheist #1484

Kyle Graba <kmgraba...@mail.uccs.edu.invalid> wrote in message

> In article <8a8tbm$ntb$2...@uranium.btinternet.com>, "Tags"
> <ta...@limitwebdesign.co.uk> wrote:

> >I'm 18, and reading the replies to blue_rider's message, I saw
> that most
> >people here are in their 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's - i.e. older
> than me.
> >Eeek.
> >

> >Am I alone in my age group here? Have you guys just thought
> about atheism

nat

Mar 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/9/00
I just turned 23. Not that much older than you really =).

--
Live not as though there were a thousand years ahead of you. Fate is at your
elbow; make yourself good while life and power are still yours.

-Marcus Aurelius, 2nd. Century A.D.

Petteri Sulonen

Mar 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/10/00
In article <8a8tbm$ntb$2...@uranium.btinternet.com>, "Tags"
<ta...@limitwebdesign.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm 18, and reading the replies to blue_rider's message, I saw that most
> people here are in their 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's - i.e. older than me.
> Eeek.
>

> Am I alone in my age group here? Have you guys just thought about atheism
> more? Am I not supposed to care? I've recruited a friend who just recently
> got "connected" to alt.atheism and he should be here soon, but he's the only
> guy I know who really cares about it all enough to join this group. Any
> comments?

Hell, *I'm* only ten years older than you, and I'm not *OLD*!!! :-)

No, seriously, there have been a bunch of (self-confessed) teenagers here.
However, most of us being the towering pillars of erudition and life
experience (read: intellectual snobs) that we are, many young people seem
a bit shy about their age here. Don't worry, you're not alone.

-- Petteri

Gutta cavat lapidem non vi, sed semper cadendo. |a.a #1442. EAC, Cmsr
Remove spamblock and reply by e-mail, or I may not see your post.

Don Kresch

Mar 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/10/00
On Thu, 9 Mar 2000 11:27:21 -0000, in alt.atheism, Tags told us all that

>I'm 18, and reading the replies to blue_rider's message, I saw that most
>people here are in their 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's - i.e. older than me.
>Eeek.
>
>Am I alone in my age group here?

Almost. We don't often get teens here.

> Have you guys just thought about atheism
>more?

We've had net access for a while. I've been here since mid-96. There's
some here who've lived here for the best part of 5 or 6 years.

> Am I not supposed to care? I've recruited a friend who just recently
>got "connected" to alt.atheism and he should be here soon, but he's the only
>guy I know who really cares about it all enough to join this group. Any
>comments?

Most people who use the net have no idea that there is such a thing as
Usenet. They just surf, chat and email.

Don
aa #51, Knight of BAAWA, DNRC o-, EAC Decryption squad
Atheist Minister for St. Dogbert.

"No being is so important that he can usurp the rights of another"
Picard to Data/Graves "The Schizoid Man"

ClaySkye

Mar 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/10/00
>Subject: I'm a little confused
>From: "Tags" ta...@limitwebdesign.co.uk
>Date: 3/9/00 3:27 AM Pacific Standard Time

>I'm 18, and reading the replies to blue_rider's message, I saw that most
>people here are in their 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's - i.e. older than me.
>Eeek.

>Am I alone in my age group here?

No, there are a few others.

>Have you guys just thought about atheism
>more?

Probably, merely having lived 29 years and been an atheist all of those years
means that I probably have thought about it more.

> Am I not supposed to care?

Everyone is supposed to care. Age is insignificant. Usually young people take
the religion of their parents and don't come to question it until they are
older and out from under their parents control. I think that is why people are
older when they become atheists. It is probably a little while after that
before it occurs to them to seek out other atheists. Combine that with the
fact that not everyone even knows about usenet and I think that would account
for fewer people your age on the group.

I've recruited a friend who just recently
>got "connected" to alt.atheism and he should be here soon, but he's the only
>guy I know who really cares about it all enough to join this group. Any
>comments?

About him? I will withhold comment until I meet him :)

You? Welcome and don't forget to sign up for your first "Dealing with drive by
fundies" Class. You'll get your official EAC handbook and secret decoder ring
at that time.

>--
>Tags: af #1730
>web design - http://www.limitwebdesign.co.uk
>html help - http://www.limitwebdesign.co.uk/htmlhelp/
>--
>"The difference you make makes no difference at all"

ClayeSkye
#4 (Head of EAC Department of Education/Reeducation)
I still believe that I cannot be saved-Smashing Pumpkins
Rednecks didn't do this. Rednecks aren't this creative-Michael, The Blair
Witch Project

Animeg3282

Mar 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/10/00
Tags said:

>I'm 18, and reading the replies to blue_rider's message, I saw that most
>people here are in their 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's - i.e. older than me.
>Eeek.
>

>Am I alone in my age group here? Have you guys just thought about atheism
>more? Am I not supposed to care? I've recruited a friend who just recently

>got "connected" to alt.atheism and he should be here soon, but he's the only
>guy I know who really cares about it all enough to join this group. Any
>comments?

I'm younger than you. Just try not to do anything stupid. :D (It's ok, I'm new
too)

Hana no Kaitou
Pledged to the Way of the Wimp
"It's better to light a candle than to make up myths about the darkness"-me

car...@my-deja.com

Mar 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/10/00
In article <8a8tbm$ntb$2...@uranium.btinternet.com>,
"Tags" <ta...@limitwebdesign.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm 18, and reading the replies to blue_rider's message, I saw that
most
> people here are in their 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's - i.e. older than
me.
> Eeek.
>
> Am I alone in my age group here?

I'm 14. Is that `in your age group'?

[big snip]

-- Charles Reiss

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

DarkAngel

Mar 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/10/00
Tags wrote:

> I'm 18, and reading the replies to blue_rider's message, I saw that most
> people here are in their 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's - i.e. older than me.
> Eeek.

Do you consider 20 to be in your age range?

Anyhow, I was about 18 when I came upon this group.

--
Anarchy & Peace
a.a atheist #1192

"Out of your palaces, princes and kings
Out of your churches, you clergy, you christs
I'll neither live nor die for your dreams
- Crass

Michael Alexander

Mar 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/10/00
I'm old, but a while back there was a thread about a high school atheist
club. The club's web site is: http://idt.net/~shiro4/atheistclub/

PFKKC

Mar 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/10/00
Check out the Young Freethinkers Alliance. A group for high school age
atheists, humanists, agnostics, skeptics, and the like.
www.secularhumanism.org/yfa

or

for college freethinkers there is the Campus Freethought Alliance.
www.campusfreethought.org

>I'm 18

YOELK

Mar 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/10/00
Tags wrote:

> I'm 18, and reading the replies to blue_rider's message, I saw that most
> people here are in their 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's - i.e. older than me.
> Eeek.
>
> Am I alone in my age group here? Have you guys just thought about atheism
> more? Am I not supposed to care? I've recruited a friend who just recently
> got "connected" to alt.atheism and he should be here soon, but he's the only
> guy I know who really cares about it all enough to join this group. Any
> comments?
>
> --
> Tags: af #1730
> web design - http://www.limitwebdesign.co.uk
> html help - http://www.limitwebdesign.co.uk/htmlhelp/
> --
> "The difference you make makes no difference at all"

I was 18 once, does it count ?
I guess not, 17 years had already passed since then.
Oh, I almost forgot how it is to be that young....

But don't worry, most chances are that you will eventually reach my age.
;-)

------
YOELK

chibiabos

Mar 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/10/00
In article <psulonen-100...@dialup5-18.iptelecom.net.ua>,
Petteri Sulonen <psul...@zeos.spamblock.net> wrote:

> In article <8a8tbm$ntb$2...@uranium.btinternet.com>, "Tags"

> <ta...@limitwebdesign.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I'm 18, and reading the replies to blue_rider's message, I saw that most
> > people here are in their 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's - i.e. older than me.
> > Eeek.
> >
> > Am I alone in my age group here? Have you guys just thought about atheism
> > more? Am I not supposed to care? I've recruited a friend who just recently
> > got "connected" to alt.atheism and he should be here soon, but he's the only
> > guy I know who really cares about it all enough to join this group. Any
> > comments?
>

> Hell, *I'm* only ten years older than you, and I'm not *OLD*!!! :-)

I was thinking the same thing, and I'm *thirty* years older. :)

-chib

--
wild(at our first)beasts uttered human words
--our second coming made stones sing like birds--

chibiabos

Mar 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/10/00
In article <38C8C1A5...@shani.net>, YOELK <jk...@shani.net> wrote:

> Tags wrote:
> >
> > I'm 18, and reading the replies to blue_rider's message, I saw that most
> > people here are in their 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's - i.e. older than me.
> > Eeek.
> >
> > Am I alone in my age group here? Have you guys just thought about atheism
> > more? Am I not supposed to care? I've recruited a friend who just recently
> > got "connected" to alt.atheism and he should be here soon, but he's the only
> > guy I know who really cares about it all enough to join this group. Any
> > comments?
> >

> > --
> > Tags: af #1730
> > web design - http://www.limitwebdesign.co.uk
> > html help - http://www.limitwebdesign.co.uk/htmlhelp/
> > --
> > "The difference you make makes no difference at all"
>
> I was 18 once, does it count ?
> I guess not, 17 years had already passed since then.
> Oh, I almost forgot how it is to be that young....
>
> But don't worry, most chances are that you will eventually reach my age.
> ;-)
>
> ------
> YOELK

And after reading this thread, I've decided us ancients really don't
have to worry about the next generation. We can shuffle off to the
boneyard now....

DJ Nozem

Mar 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/10/00
On Thu, 9 Mar 2000 11:27:21 -0000, "Tags" <ta...@limitwebdesign.co.uk>
wrote:

>I'm 18, and reading the replies to blue_rider's message, I saw that most
>people here are in their 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's - i.e. older than me.
>Eeek.

>Am I alone in my age group here? Have you guys just thought about atheism
>more? Am I not supposed to care? I've recruited a friend who just recently
>got "connected" to alt.atheism and he should be here soon, but he's the only
>guy I know who really cares about it all enough to join this group. Any
>comments?

I'm 18 too and judging by the replies there are several others.

There is no particular age when you are "supposed" to start caring
about atheism and religious issues and start discussing them. The
sooner you begin the better...

I got in here because of a friend too, but he's not around much
anymore. A lot of people in our age group don't really care to talk
about these issues a lot, yes, but I think it's the same with older
folks.

Existence is futile - Everything is going to be -
Nothing was meant to be - We give meaning to eachother
DJ Nozem #1465 zwag...@multiweb.nl

Margie Gwen

Mar 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/10/00

> Tags wrote:
>
> > I'm 18, and reading the replies to blue_rider's message, I saw that most
> > people here are in their 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's - i.e. older than me.
> > Eeek.

I'm old (30 almost) but if it makes you feel any better Medievel Kneivel aka
Malcolm X-files will be a high school history/government teacher next year.
Sometimes he acts like a teenager.

aa1638
Margie Gwen
More Fun Than a Barrel Full of Vikings

Matthias Weiss

Mar 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/10/00
Tags wrote:

> I'm 18, and reading the replies to blue_rider's message, I saw that most
> people here are in their 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's - i.e. older than me.
> Eeek.
>
> Am I alone in my age group here? Have you guys just thought about atheism
> more? Am I not supposed to care? I've recruited a friend who just recently
> got "connected" to alt.atheism and he should be here soon, but he's the only
> guy I know who really cares about it all enough to join this group. Any
> comments?

Why is our age important to you? If you have a good head on your
shoulders, a brain in working order, and language skills for others to
enjoy reading your posts, you should have no problems earning respect.

I have seen high school kids impressing people here. I think you have
plenty of opportunities to socialize with members of your age group in
real life. If they are too immature for your taste, this should be just
the right place to escape.

This is not a place where people meet, this is a place where people read
each other's ideas. Did you ever care about the age of the journalist
who wrote that newspaper article, or the age of the writer who wrote
that novel?

I don't see what your problem is.

Matthias.

Billy Fields

Mar 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/10/00

> Teenage atheists are fairly rare, simply because most people don't do that
> kind of introspection when they're that young; they're usually still under
> the impression of the beliefs of their parents. I was probably an atheist
> when I was 18, but didn't really realize it until about 5 years later; at
> that point in my life, "god" just wasn't particularly relevent.
>
> Please feel free to participate.

True, but consider being a teenager in America(leas from my experiences).
Public Schools arn't permitted to discuss religion. Only other source of
religous knowledge is the Church. I personally don't remember hearing the
words "Now that we've discussed creation, lets examine the alternate view of
Evolution" in any CCD classes. But in Universities they can discuss
religion, and what an eye opener those first two years were. I had a few
proffessors who constantly pushed the concept of not just beleiving
everything your were told, but to look at all of the available evidence, and
make the most reasonable solution. It was in a class Co-taught by both of
them during a a debate about creationism/evolution that I first noticed just
how unfilling the theist arguments were. that was about a year ago, If i'd
have known then what I know now I would have loved to debate his weak
arguments into the ground.

Anyways, its probably the highschool/college barrier being the reason for 18
and under non-beleivers.

stoney

Mar 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/10/00
wrote:

]>I'm 18, and reading the replies to blue_rider's message, I saw that
]>most people here are in their 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's - i.e. older
]>than me. Eeek.

LOL...

]>Am I alone in my age group here?

No. There have been/are others of your age group here. But does age
really matter? I would think the ideas, exploration, questions are
much more important. Ed, for one, illustrates quite nicely age
doesn't necessarily bring wisdom.

]> Have you guys just thought about atheism more?

That is dependant upon the individual, but I would suggest you have
the wrong question. I think it is more accurate to ask "Have you guys
just thougt about theism more?" One has a tendency to look and think
about something more than nothing. YMMV, of course.

]>Am I not supposed to care?

]>I've recruited a friend who just recently got "connected" to
]>alt.atheism and he should be here soon, but he's the only
]>guy I know who really cares about it all enough to join this group.

I find the hodge-podge of topics quite interesting as well as the
various interactions of people. One never is quite sure what the next
post will bring. It can bring interesting items, new information,
laughter, gentle harpoons, or blatant idiocy.

]> Any comments?

Certainly... :)

Stoney

JT IceFire

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
>nternet.com...

>> I'm 18, and reading the replies to blue_rider's message, I saw that most
>> people here are in their 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's - i.e. older than me.
>> Eeek.
>>
>> Am I alone in my age group here? Have you guys just thought about atheism

I'm 17, I live in eastern Pennsylvania, and I am an atheist, and as far as I
know, the only one in my school. Teenagers are mostly bred by their parents and
the media to be Christian, and most of the timne, they lack the skills or the
want to examine the absurdity that is religion further.
JT IceFire

That was cool huh huh
When we killed that frog huh huh
It won't croak again

atheist #idon'tknowwhat
Number 38, not 36, on the de-conversion list (Sorry, Mr. PB&J)
Bang bang!

Panama Floyd

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
>From: D...@multicrap.nl (DJ Nozem)
>Date: 3/10/00 7:13 AM Eastern Standard Time

>On Thu, 9 Mar 2000 11:27:21 -0000, "Tags" <ta...@limitwebdesign.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>I'm 18, and reading the replies to blue_rider's message, I saw that most
>>people here are in their 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's - i.e. older than me.
>>Eeek.
>
>>Am I alone in my age group here? Have you guys just thought about atheism
>>more? Am I not supposed to care? I've recruited a friend who just recently

>>got "connected" to alt.atheism and he should be here soon, but he's the only
>>guy I know who really cares about it all enough to join this group. Any
>>comments?
>
>I'm 18 too and judging by the replies there are several others.
>
>There is no particular age when you are "supposed" to start caring
>about atheism and religious issues and start discussing them. The
>sooner you begin the better...
>
>I got in here because of a friend too, but he's not around much
>anymore. A lot of people in our age group don't really care to talk
>about these issues a lot, yes, but I think it's the same with older
>folks.

DJ/Tags...I think there's also a technology issue here. I know it sounds silly,
but stick with me for a minute...

My grandparents saw it with radio, My parents saw it with TV, I've seen it with
videotape, and you're seeing it now with computers, the `net, etc.

1.) When a new technology comes along, it's at the very edge of what humans can
create.
2.) When we begin to get comfortable with the new technology, the ability to
put it in the hands of the public becomes available.
3.) It's not until we get proficient at the technology that it becomes cheap.

I think you guys are the victim of computing technology, as it evolves from #2
to #3.
The rich folks get the cool stuff first, because when it first comes out, it's
expensive.

IOW, I wonder if the reason you don't see many folks your own age here is
because we've just now becoming proficient at making personal computers. They
are still very expensive, and most folks can't buy one until they're older
(after college, good job, lotza $$, etc.). Just a thought.

And here's another one. I'm 38, and wouldn't have known how young you are until
this thread started.

DJ, you're going to laugh *so* hard at me...
After reading some of your refutations to the theists here, I had this mental
picture of you as a mid-30's professor, clicking away happily on a keyboard
near a sunlit window in a room full of books!

I hope I was right about the "books" part.. <g>

-Panama Floyd, Atlanta
aa# maybe soon...
EAC Reclamation Committee Chair (..Soylent Green is people!!...)

"The altar cloth of one aeon is the doormat of the next."
-Mark Twain, Notebook, 1898

I'm the EAC, and I vote!!

Michael Alexander

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
If you go to the following website and search for 198, you can find a list
of people born in the 1980's. The search program is primitive, so it also
shows people with atheist numbers that contain 198 or any line that contains
the number 198.

http://www.atheistcharity.org/cgi-local/searchnum.pl

Puck Greenman

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
On Fri, 10 Mar 2000 00:11:03 GMT, in alt.atheism rot13....@xeylax.pbz.getridof.com
(Don Kresch) wrote:: this little lot,
and Puck xposted again...

>On Thu, 9 Mar 2000 11:27:21 -0000, in alt.atheism, Tags told us all that
>

> Most people who use the net have no idea that there is such a thing as
>Usenet. They just surf, chat and email.

I suppose that is the difference between being introduced to the .net via a text
only, command line browser, (Mine was a modified packet radio prog) and being
introduced via a WIMP environment, Netscape etc.

>Don
>aa #51, Knight of BAAWA, DNRC o-, EAC Decryption squad
>Atheist Minister for St. Dogbert.
>
>"No being is so important that he can usurp the rights of another"
>Picard to Data/Graves "The Schizoid Man"

Puck Greenman

BAAWA Knight.

ICQ 15096558

The spelling, like any opinion stated here,
is purely my own

Puck Greenman

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
On 10 Mar 2000 01:48:48 GMT, in alt.atheism anime...@aol.compelsia (Animeg3282) wrote::
this little lot,
and Puck xposted again...
>Tags said:
>
>>I'm 18, and reading the replies to blue_rider's message, I saw that most
>>people here are in their 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's - i.e. older than me.
>>Eeek.
>>
>>Am I alone in my age group here? Have you guys just thought about atheism
>>more? Am I not supposed to care? I've recruited a friend who just recently
>>got "connected" to alt.atheism and he should be here soon, but he's the only
>>guy I know who really cares about it all enough to join this group. Any
>>comments?
>>

>I'm younger than you. Just try not to do anything stupid. :D (It's ok, I'm new
>too)

And I am only in my middle teens, trouble is, my body is in it's late 50s. (:-(

>Hana no Kaitou
>Pledged to the Way of the Wimp
>"It's better to light a candle than to make up myths about the darkness"-me

Puck Greenman

Tags

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
Matthias Weiss wrote in message <38C93197...@math.lsa.umich.edu>...

>Why is our age important to you?

It doesn't, and I didn't mean my post to sound that way (I hang out with
people aged 18 to 36 in real life). I just wondered why there were less
people in my age group here. Turns out there aren't, what a relief.

Tags

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
sm...@rah.ssl wrote in message <8a8v4m$dt5$4...@news.chorus.net>...
>Kids are supposed to be out drinking beer, chasing girls, deafening
>themselves with music -- hard to fit thinking about God Stuff in there :-)

Oh no, don't think I don't do that, too!! I'm all up for girls and beer.
:)

Tags

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
Petteri Sulonen wrote ...

>Hell, *I'm* only ten years older than you, and I'm not *OLD*!!! :-)

Some of my best friends are 28, and I wouldn't call them old, just old*ER*.
It's easy to offend without noticing, though.

Tags

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
ClaySkye wrote in message
<20000309192439...@ng-de1.news.cs.com>...

>Everyone is supposed to care. Age is insignificant. Usually young people
take
>the religion of their parents and don't come to question it until they are
>older and out from under their parents control.

Believe it or not, I've made my Dad more of an atheist than he already was,
and my Mother, who used to be in the Salvation Army, is now doubting god
like a true heathen. I've got a little bit of convincing to do with her,
though. :)

>You? Welcome and don't forget to sign up for your first "Dealing with
drive by
>fundies" Class. You'll get your official EAC handbook and secret decoder
ring
>at that time.

Everyone on this thread thinks I've just joined the group. I've been here
for months, people!

Tags

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
nat wrote in message <38C869E9...@ivillage.com>...
>I just turned 23. Not that much older than you really =).

I can handle 23. I can handle anyone as long as they're okay with me. I
mean handle in a "talk to" sense, BTW.

stoney

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
On Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:34:08 +0000, Puck Greenman
<pu...@pooks.hill.fey> wrote:

]>On 10 Mar 2000 01:48:48 GMT, in alt.atheism

anime...@aol.compelsia (Animeg3282) wrote::
]>this little lot,
]>and Puck xposted again...
]>>Tags said:
]>>
]>>>I'm 18, and reading the replies to blue_rider's message, I saw
that most
]>>>people here are in their 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's - i.e. older
than me.
]>>>Eeek.
]>>>
]>>>Am I alone in my age group here? Have you guys just thought about
atheism
]>>>more? Am I not supposed to care? I've recruited a friend who
just recently
]>>>got "connected" to alt.atheism and he should be here soon, but
he's the only
]>>>guy I know who really cares about it all enough to join this
group. Any
]>>>comments?
]>>>
]>>
]>>I'm younger than you. Just try not to do anything stupid. :D (It's
ok, I'm new
]>>too)
]>
]> And I am only in my middle teens, trouble is, my body is in
it's late 50s. (:-(

Heh heh...I'm just a recycled teenager... :)))

Stoney

stoney

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
On Fri, 10 Mar 2000 11:29:10 GMT, chibiabos
<chib...@SPAMBLOCK.earthlink.net> wrote:

]>In article <38C8C1A5...@shani.net>, YOELK <jk...@shani.net>
wrote:
]>

]>> Tags wrote:
]>> >
]>> > I'm 18, and reading the replies to blue_rider's message, I saw
that most
]>> > people here are in their 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's - i.e. older
than me.
]>> > Eeek.
]>> >
]>> > Am I alone in my age group here? Have you guys just thought
about atheism
]>> > more? Am I not supposed to care? I've recruited a friend who
just recently
]>> > got "connected" to alt.atheism and he should be here soon, but
he's the only
]>> > guy I know who really cares about it all enough to join this
group. Any
]>> > comments?
]>> >

]>> > --

]>> > Tags: af #1730
]>> > web design - http://www.limitwebdesign.co.uk
]>> > html help - http://www.limitwebdesign.co.uk/htmlhelp/
]>> > --
]>> > "The difference you make makes no difference at all"

]>>
]>> I was 18 once, does it count ?

]>> I guess not, 17 years had already passed since then.
]>> Oh, I almost forgot how it is to be that young....
]>>
]>> But don't worry, most chances are that you will eventually reach
my age.
]>> ;-)
]>>
]>> ------
]>> YOELK
]>
]>And after reading this thread, I've decided us ancients really don't
]>have to worry about the next generation. We can shuffle off to the
]>boneyard now....

Heh...Nah, not yet, I've still got more beaches to kick back on,
trails to hike and books to read... :)

Stoney

MrGoodSalt

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
"Tags" ta...@limitwebdesign.co.uk wrote:
[snip] Any comments?

Yes, don't become an atheist. If you stay here you'll just get more confused.
The atheists are wrong - and they're pissed about it so they get crabby. Don't
let their claim to argumentation put the zap on your head. In the end, all
their arguments boil down to zippo. Flee this evil place until you've had time
to learn, and let us deal with the atheists for now.

At least, before you decide whether to be atheist or not, check out the
Christian perspective. There are lot's of books listed at the website in my
signature.

Two books would be of particular value for you:

"Ready with an Answer: For the Tough Questions About God" by John Ankerberg and
John Weldon

"The Universe Next Door: A catalog of world views" by James W. Sire

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." JOHN 8:32
Good Christian books listed and described at:
http://www.hometown.aol.com/mrgoodsalt/index.htm

Don Kresch

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
On 11 Mar 2000 17:39:55 GMT, in alt.atheism, MrGoodSalt told us all that

So Salty---how come communism and xerism have the same philosophical base?

Sniper

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
MrGoodSalt wrote:

> "Tags" ta...@limitwebdesign.co.uk wrote:
> [snip] Any comments?
>
> Yes, don't become an atheist. If you stay here you'll just get more confused.
> The atheists are wrong - and they're pissed about it so they get crabby. Don't
> let their claim to argumentation put the zap on your head. In the end, all
> their arguments boil down to zippo. Flee this evil place until you've had time
> to learn, and let us deal with the atheists for now.

Translation: "Let _us_ brainwash you instead"

> At least, before you decide whether to be atheist or not, check out the
> Christian perspective. There are lot's of books listed at the website in my
> signature.

Translation: "Let _us_ brainwash you instead"

> Two books would be of particular value for you:

[snip]

Why not just hand them "Because the Bible Tells Me So"?

Puck Greenman

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
On 11 Mar 2000 17:39:55 GMT, in alt.atheism mrgoo...@aol.com (MrGoodSalt) wrote:: this

little lot,
and Puck xposted again...
>"Tags" ta...@limitwebdesign.co.uk wrote:
>[snip] Any comments?
>
>Yes, don't become an atheist.

Not if thinking gives you a headache.

>If you stay here you'll just get more confused.

Aint it nice, Mr Goodsalt, your friend, thinks that you are too stupid
to make up your own mind

>The atheists are wrong -

He could well be right, the universe is a fair old size, but I don't think so, the
evidence,or rather lack of it, supports us.

>and they're pissed about it so they get crabby.

Mr Goodsalt is a good xtian, he will slander anybody in the name of his god. What
he is not telling you is that it was he who entered an atheist group uninvited, and
started preaching to us. Not satisfied with hat he persists in posting to a group
that has no interest in anything he has to say, and tries to demean us with his
petty insults

> Don't let their claim to argumentation put the zap on your head.

There he goes again, acting the nanny.

Salty: What is a "claim to argumentation"?

> In the end, all
>their arguments boil down to zippo.

Another "lie for Jesus" Salty?

> Flee this evil place until you've had time
>to learn,

In other words, "you are too ignorant to be able to lie for Jesus"

> and let us deal with the atheists for now.

Is it bird? Is it a plane? No It's SUPER SALTY.

>At least, before you decide whether to be atheist or not, check out the
>Christian perspective.

If you have a choice, then what ever you choose, you are a xtian. There is not a
single atheist in this group who had any choice. If the argument does not convince
you, be it ours or Salty's, don't try to choose, eventually you will be convinced,
one way or the other.
If you would talk to atheists, we are here, if you would talk to xtians, I suggest
some one more moderate, more reasonable, than Mr Goodsalt, you will also
find them more understanding and more believable.

> There are lot's of books listed at the website in my
>signature.

Most of them are unfounded assertions and fear driven claims.

>Two books would be of particular value for you:
>

>"Ready with an Answer: For the Tough Questions About God" by John Ankerberg and
>John Weldon
>
>"The Universe Next Door: A catalog of world views" by James W. Sire

Talk to a xtian, talk to several. When I first saw Salty's web site I had a quick
look, and then I asked a couple of xtian friends to have a look and tell me if
there was anything of interest there. I wanted to know if ther was anything worth
reading. The general consensus was that none of them had anything to recommend
them,
there was certainly nothing new and convincing.
I was talking on line to one of those friends when this post came in, so I showed it
to him. He said that if you want to find Jesus then everything you need is in the
bible, these books are just the opinions of men, and not the word of god.

ClaySkye

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
>Some of my best friends are 28, and I wouldn't call them old, just old*ER*.
>It's easy to offend without noticing, though.

It's nice to know that at 29 not all teenagers think I'm old. The ones I
usually run into at work think I'm ancient.

ClayeSkye
#4 (Head of EAC Department of Education/Reeducation)
I still believe that I cannot be saved-Smashing Pumpkins
Rednecks didn't do this. Rednecks aren't this creative-Michael, The Blair
Witch Project

ClaySkye

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
>>Everyone is supposed to care. Age is insignificant. Usually young people
>take
>>the religion of their parents and don't come to question it until they are
>>older and out from under their parents control.
>
>Believe it or not, I've made my Dad more of an atheist than he already was,
>and my Mother, who used to be in the Salvation Army, is now doubting god
>like a true heathen. I've got a little bit of convincing to do with her,
>though. :)
>
>>You? Welcome and don't forget to sign up for your first "Dealing with
>drive by
>>fundies" Class. You'll get your official EAC handbook and secret decoder
>ring
>>at that time.
>
>Everyone on this thread thinks I've just joined the group. I've been here
>for months, people!

Months????!!!!

Why haven't you registered yet?

Didn't you know that all atheists must register so that they can get their
official placement in the conspiracy of promoting the atheist agenda?

You're going to make the fundies question whether it exists at all now!

ClaySkye

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
>From: mrgoo...@aol.com (MrGoodSalt)
>Date: 3/11/00 9:39 AM Pacific Standard Time

>Flee this evil place until you've had time

>to learn, and let us deal with the atheists for now.

See, this is the difference between atheists and theists. We accept that you
can understand your own mind and think for yourself at age 18. Mr. Goodsalt
believes you are incapable of this until you reach some mysterious age or agree
with him, probably whichever comes first.

Matthias Weiss

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
MrGoodSalt wrote:

> "Tags" ta...@limitwebdesign.co.uk wrote:
> [snip] Any comments?
>
> Yes, don't become an atheist. If you stay here you'll just get more confused.
> The atheists are wrong - and they're pissed about it so they get crabby. Don't
> let their claim to argumentation put the zap on your head. In the end, all
> their arguments boil down to zippo. Flee this evil place until you've had time

> to learn, and let us deal with the atheists for now.

Oh Goodie, hanging around the playground with poisoned candy again, eh?

Matthias.

> At least, before you decide whether to be atheist or not, check out the

> Christian perspective. There are lot's of books listed at the website in my
> signature.
>

> Two books would be of particular value for you:
>
> "Ready with an Answer: For the Tough Questions About God" by John Ankerberg and
> John Weldon
>
> "The Universe Next Door: A catalog of world views" by James W. Sire

DJ Nozem

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
On 11 Mar 2000 01:16:02 GMT, panam...@aol.compoospam (Panama Floyd)
wrote:

>>From: D...@multicrap.nl (DJ Nozem)
>>Date: 3/10/00 7:13 AM Eastern Standard Time

>>On Thu, 9 Mar 2000 11:27:21 -0000, "Tags" <ta...@limitwebdesign.co.uk>
>>wrote:

>>>I'm 18, and reading the replies to blue_rider's message, I saw that most
>>>people here are in their 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's - i.e. older than me.
>>>Eeek.

>>>Am I alone in my age group here? Have you guys just thought about atheism
>>>more? Am I not supposed to care? I've recruited a friend who just recently
>>>got "connected" to alt.atheism and he should be here soon, but he's the only
>>>guy I know who really cares about it all enough to join this group. Any
>>>comments?

>>I'm 18 too and judging by the replies there are several others.

>>There is no particular age when you are "supposed" to start caring
>>about atheism and religious issues and start discussing them. The
>>sooner you begin the better...

>>I got in here because of a friend too, but he's not around much
>>anymore. A lot of people in our age group don't really care to talk
>>about these issues a lot, yes, but I think it's the same with older
>>folks.

>DJ/Tags...I think there's also a technology issue here. I know it sounds silly,
>but stick with me for a minute...

>My grandparents saw it with radio, My parents saw it with TV, I've seen it with
>videotape, and you're seeing it now with computers, the `net, etc.

>1.) When a new technology comes along, it's at the very edge of what humans can
>create.
>2.) When we begin to get comfortable with the new technology, the ability to
>put it in the hands of the public becomes available.
>3.) It's not until we get proficient at the technology that it becomes cheap.

>I think you guys are the victim of computing technology, as it evolves from #2
>to #3.
>The rich folks get the cool stuff first, because when it first comes out, it's
>expensive.

We're the kids of rich parents :-)

>IOW, I wonder if the reason you don't see many folks your own age here is
>because we've just now becoming proficient at making personal computers. They
>are still very expensive, and most folks can't buy one until they're older
>(after college, good job, lotza $$, etc.). Just a thought.

I bought this pentium III with cable modem eight months ago ( and
earned it myself :-P ) before that I was online through my parents'
computer. One convenient thing is that those people don't know how to
use it, but as I soon became somewhat of an addict all those other
people wanting me to go offline became intolerable.

>And here's another one. I'm 38, and wouldn't have known how young you are until
>this thread started.

>DJ, you're going to laugh *so* hard at me...
>After reading some of your refutations to the theists here, I had this mental
>picture of you as a mid-30's professor, clicking away happily on a keyboard
>near a sunlit window in a room full of books!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Hahaha, thanks....

>I hope I was right about the "books" part.. <g>

Nope, but you were right about the sunlit window part :-)

I do frequently read the newspaper plus some essays on the net, but
books..... I do occasionally use some references, but most of the time
just it's just me and an online dictionary which I use when I come
across words I'm not familiar with.

cz...@ecn.ab.ca

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
MrGoodSalt (mrgoo...@aol.com) wrote:
: "Tags" ta...@limitwebdesign.co.uk wrote:

: [snip] Any comments?

: At least, before you decide whether to be atheist or not, check out
: the Christian perspective.

Not everyone is like you and has both the agility and miniscule cranial
capacity necessary for inserting one's head up one's ass to thus "check
out" the christian perspective.

In science, "fact" can only mean "confirmed to such a
degree that it would be perverse to withold provisional
assent." I suppose that apples might start to rise
tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time
in physics classrooms.
-Stephen Jay Gould

MrGoodSalt

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
"Tags" ta...@limitwebdesign.co.uk wrote:
>>> [snip] Any comments?

>> Yes, don't become an atheist.

> Not if thinking gives you a headache.

You don't have to give up your mind to become a Christian. In fact, you need to
use well enough to see through the lies that will be spewed on you by the media
and academia.

>> If you stay here you'll just get more confused.

> Aint it nice, Mr Goodsalt, your friend, thinks that you are too stupid

to make up your own mind

Ahhh. Is that what I think? How remarkably like Satan's temptation of Eve your
statement is. Tags has no choice but to make up his own mind. Unfortunately,
you people will help him make the cataclysmically wrong choice.

>> The atheists are wrong -

> He could well be right, the universe is a fair old size, but I don't think

so, the evidence,or rather lack of it, supports us.

Modern academia and the main stream media will not give you any honest and
complete critique of the theory of evolution or the origins of the universe. If
you want a competing opinion you will need to seek out the Christian
perspective.

>> and they're pissed about it so they get crabby.

> Mr Goodsalt is a good xtian, he will slander anybody in the name of his god.

What he is not telling you is that it was he who entered an atheist group
uninvited, and started preaching to us. Not satisfied with hat he persists in
posting to a group that has no interest in anything he has to say, and tries to
demean us with his petty insults

I came to this newgroup to persuade as many atheists as possible to avoid
eternal damnation through salvation in Jesus Christ. It's true that sometimes I
can come across as legitimately obnoxious, but most of the time I don't (unless
of course you equate being Christian with being obnoxious, which many atheists
do). And BTW, the most compassionless, profane, and psychologically abusive
posts I've ever read in my life have been posted right here in alt.atheism by
atheists.

>> Don't let their claim to argumentation put the zap on your head.

> There he goes again, acting the nanny.

> Salty: What is a "claim to argumentation"?

It means all the reasons atheists offer for not believing in God.

>> In the end, all their arguments boil down to zippo.

> Another "lie for Jesus" Salty?

No, it is my honest opinion of atheist claims.

>> Flee this evil place until you've had time to learn,

> In other words, "you are too ignorant to be able to lie for Jesus"

No, it means Tags is just like I was when I was his age and went off to college
to be brainwashed by the secular humanist perspective. I'm trying to protect
him from what they did to me.

[snip]

>> At least, before you decide whether to be atheist or not, check out the
Christian perspective.

> If you have a choice, then what ever you choose, you are a xtian. There is

not a single atheist in this group who had any choice. If the argument does
not convince you, be it ours or Salty's, don't try to choose, eventually you
will be convinced, one way or the other. If you would talk to atheists, we are
here, if you would talk to xtians, I suggest some one more moderate, more
reasonable, than Mr Goodsalt, you will also find them more understanding and
more believable.

I like your respect for allowing Tags to choose freely what he will believe. We
agree on that.

>> There are lot's of books listed at the website in my signature.

> Most of them are unfounded assertions and fear driven claims.

A variation of the crabiness I spoke of ...

>> Two books would be of particular value for you:

>> "Ready with an Answer: For the Tough Questions About God" by John Ankerberg
and John Weldon

>> "The Universe Next Door: A catalog of world views" by James W. Sire

> Talk to a xtian, talk to several. When I first saw Salty's web site I had a

quick look, and then I asked a couple of xtian friends to have a look and tell
me if there was anything of interest there. I wanted to know if ther was
anything worth reading. The general consensus was that none of them had
anything to recommend them, there was certainly nothing new and convincing. I
was talking on line to one of those friends when this post came in, so I showed
it to him. He said that if you want to find Jesus then everything you need is
in the
bible, these books are just the opinions of men, and not the word of god.

I agree that the Bible is the first thing you should read. Also, if you are
ever in doubt, believe the Bible and not the words of men.

And yes, go talk to some Christians.

Jesus: Don't Leave Earth Without Him :)

YOELK

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
MrGoodSalt wrote:

> "Tags" ta...@limitwebdesign.co.uk wrote:
> [snip] Any comments?
>
> Yes, don't become an atheist. If you stay here you'll just get more confused.
> The atheists are wrong - and they're pissed about it so they get crabby. Don't
> let their claim to argumentation put the zap on your head. In the end, all
> their arguments boil down to zippo. Flee this evil place until you've had time
> to learn, and let us deal with the atheists for now.

In other word Tags, What Salty is saying to you is that being 18 years
old means that you cannot think for yourself.

> At least, before you decide whether to be atheist or not, check out the

> Christian perspective. There are lot's of books listed at the website in my
> signature.

The christian perspective as demonstrated by Salt is that there are
books that you should not read, and NGs that you should not enter.
Now, how does it called ? Mind control.
If you control what enters into someone's mind, you control that mind.

-----
YOELK

SillyJule

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
MrGoodSalt wrote:
[snip]

>No, it means Tags is just like I was when I was his age and went off to
>college
>to be brainwashed by the secular humanist perspective. I'm trying to protect
>him from what they did to me.
[snip]

Bud, I'm a young-un myself and though I cant speak for Tags, I can safely say
that _never_ in my entire life has anyone ever tried to sell me on atheism.
rather, every person I know excepting one is religious and talks as though
everyone was. though it seems that peer pressure may have influeced _you_
greatly, it doesn't have that strong an affect on everyone.

Julie

DarkAngel

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
MrGoodSalt wrote:

> I came to this newgroup to persuade as many atheists as possible to avoid
> eternal damnation through salvation in Jesus Christ.

So, MrGoodSalt, pray tell, why should I choose Christianity over one of the
other Big Three religions, such as Judaism or Islam? Or perhaps I shall go
Eastern, what with Buddhism and Hindouism... or I could go back to the
*really* ancient religions and choose Wicca or some other pagan-type religion,
or perhaps go Ancient Greek? So many choices, so little hope for salvation...

--
Anarchy & Peace
a.a atheist #1192

-><- Hail Eris! All Hail Discordia! -><-

Panama Floyd

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
>From: D...@multicrap.nl (DJ Nozem)
>Date: 3/11/00 6:13 PM Eastern Standard Time

>On 11 Mar 2000 01:16:02 GMT, panam...@aol.compoospam (Panama Floyd)
>wrote:
>
>>>From: D...@multicrap.nl (DJ Nozem)
>>>Date: 3/10/00 7:13 AM Eastern Standard Time

>recently
>only

You're Dutch (if multiweb.nl is your real adress...I've posted elsewhere as
latebreaker.org to kill the spam..<g>)? I'm in the US.
From what I've read/heard/understood, you have much less reason to fear the
various slaves of religion than I do. I am jealous that your friend would
hesitate to post here.

LOL!...so was I, when I bought my first VCR.

>>IOW, I wonder if the reason you don't see many folks your own age here is
>>because we've just now becoming proficient at making personal computers.
>They
>>are still very expensive, and most folks can't buy one until they're older
>>(after college, good job, lotza $$, etc.). Just a thought.
>
>I bought this pentium III with cable modem eight months ago ( and
>earned it myself :-P )

Put that tongue back into your mouth, young man...<g>

before that I was online through my parents'
>computer. One convenient thing is that those people don't know how to
>use it, but as I soon became somewhat of an addict all those other
>people wanting me to go offline became intolerable.

Agreed. At first, folks buy the technology, just to show off...and then wonder
why the folks born after the technology exists act as if it's just another
tool, since they accept the tech as "normal"...hey!
That's my *point*, DJ!

Y'all see the thing as nothing special. I envy you again for that!

>>And here's another one. I'm 38, and wouldn't have known how young you are
>until
>>this thread started.
>
>>DJ, you're going to laugh *so* hard at me...
>>After reading some of your refutations to the theists here, I had this
>mental
>>picture of you as a mid-30's professor, clicking away happily on a keyboard
>>near a sunlit window in a room full of books!
>
>ROTFLMAO!!!!!
>
>Hahaha, thanks....
>
>>I hope I was right about the "books" part.. <g>
>
>Nope, but you were right about the sunlit window part :-)

ROFL! Damn, I love the `net.

>I do frequently read the newspaper plus some essays on the net, but
>books..... I do occasionally use some references, but most of the time
>just it's just me and an online dictionary which I use when I come
>across words I'm not familiar with.

Gimme a link, man...I'm still using a paper one (dictionary).

Petteri Sulonen

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
In article <8adm5u$r78$3...@plutonium.btinternet.com>, "Tags"
<ta...@limitwebdesign.co.uk> wrote:

> Petteri Sulonen wrote ...
> >Hell, *I'm* only ten years older than you, and I'm not *OLD*!!! :-)
>

> Some of my best friends are 28, and I wouldn't call them old, just old*ER*.
> It's easy to offend without noticing, though.

No offense taken. :-)

Petteri

Gutta cavat lapidem non vi, sed semper cadendo. |a.a #1442. EAC, Cmsr
Remove spamblock and reply by e-mail, or I may not see your post.

DJ Nozem

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
On 12 Mar 2000 07:02:30 GMT, panam...@aol.compoospam (Panama Floyd)
wrote:

>>From: D...@multicrap.nl (DJ Nozem)
>>Date: 3/11/00 6:13 PM Eastern Standard Time

>>recently
>>only

>You're Dutch (if multiweb.nl is your real adress...I've posted elsewhere as
>latebreaker.org to kill the spam..<g>)?

Yeah it's my real address, I don't get any spam though.

>I'm in the US.
>From what I've read/heard/understood, you have much less reason to fear the
>various slaves of religion than I do. I am jealous that your friend would
>hesitate to post here.

I don't have a lot of trouble with religious people, the few I know (
grandparents ) don't really care to talk about christianity. People
here are less fanatical about their religions. We do still have a
couple of anachronisms in the form of political parties, but those are
insignificant.

(snip)

>>>The rich folks get the cool stuff first, because when it first comes out,
>>>it's expensive.

>>We're the kids of rich parents :-)

>LOL!...so was I, when I bought my first VCR.

Hahaha..........this may be strange I don't have my own VCR ( nor
great need for it )

>>>IOW, I wonder if the reason you don't see many folks your own age here is
>>>because we've just now becoming proficient at making personal computers.
>>>They are still very expensive, and most folks can't buy one until they're older
>>>(after college, good job, lotza $$, etc.). Just a thought.

>>I bought this pentium III with cable modem eight months ago ( and
>>earned it myself :-P )

>Put that tongue back into your mouth, young man...<g>

O.K.........old man ;-)

>> before that I was online through my parents'
>>computer. One convenient thing is that those people don't know how to
>>use it, but as I soon became somewhat of an addict all those other
>>people wanting me to go offline became intolerable.

>Agreed. At first, folks buy the technology, just to show off...and then wonder
>why the folks born after the technology exists act as if it's just another
>tool, since they accept the tech as "normal"...hey!

>That's my *point*, DJ!

Ah, I see it now.

>Y'all see the thing as nothing special. I envy you again for that!

Computers are nothing new & exciting to me, no.

<speculating>
It seems to me that when you are young you can consume much more
change at a faster rate then when you're settled down. It takes a lot
of the excitement away though, so I don't think it should be
particularly envied. Always having to look for something newer...
</speculating>

I can't really imagine that someone could own something for years and
still not think of it as normal part of their life.

>>>And here's another one. I'm 38, and wouldn't have known how young you are until
>>>this thread started.

>>>DJ, you're going to laugh *so* hard at me...
>>>After reading some of your refutations to the theists here, I had this mental
>>>picture of you as a mid-30's professor, clicking away happily on a keyboard
>>>near a sunlit window in a room full of books!

>>ROTFLMAO!!!!!

>>Hahaha, thanks....

>>>I hope I was right about the "books" part.. <g>

>>Nope, but you were right about the sunlit window part :-)

>ROFL! Damn, I love the `net.

>>I do frequently read the newspaper plus some essays on the net, but
>>books..... I do occasionally use some references, but most of the time
>>just it's just me and an online dictionary which I use when I come
>>across words I'm not familiar with.

>Gimme a link, man...I'm still using a paper one (dictionary).

Here you are:

http://www.m-w.com/home.htm

Puck Greenman

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
On 12 Mar 2000 03:54:40 GMT, in alt.atheism mrgoo...@aol.com (MrGoodSalt) wrote:: this

little lot,
and Puck xposted again...
>"Tags" ta...@limitwebdesign.co.uk wrote:

>You don't have to give up your mind to become a Christian.

Possibly not, but I know from experience, it helps.

> In fact, you need to
>use well enough to see through the lies that will be spewed on you by the media
>and academia.

So two thirds of the world are lying, or are we to include the major xtian churches,
which should push the figure well past the three quarter mark.

>>> If you stay here you'll just get more confused.
>

>> Aint it nice, Mr Goodsalt, your friend, thinks that you are too stupid
>to make up your own mind
>
>Ahhh. Is that what I think?

It is what you said.

> How remarkably like Satan's temptation of Eve your
>statement is.

More like than you know. There is no account in the bible of satan ever lying to
man, in fact the only account of satan ever doing any harm to man, he was acting on
"god's" orders.

> Tags has no choice but to make up his own mind. Unfortunately,
>you people will help him make the cataclysmically wrong choice.

If you read all of my post before you answered, you would spend a lot less time with
your foot in your mouth

>>> The atheists are wrong -
>

>> He could well be right, the universe is a fair old size, but I don't think
>so, the evidence,or rather lack of it, supports us.
>
>Modern academia and the main stream media will not give you any honest and
>complete critique of the theory of evolution or the origins of the universe.

Now unless you have evidence to support that, you are going to label your self a
liar... again.

> If
>you want a competing opinion you will need to seek out the Christian
>perspective.

Sadly, that is all it is, an opinion, unsupported buy scientific evidence of any
kind.
When these "opinions are questioned you will get two kinds of answers, 1: the evil
atheist conspiracy. and 2: the solipsist argument.

In the first the claim is that scientists have proven beyond doubt that -insert what
ever creationist myth you like- is absolutely true, and that ALL of the world's
scientists are hiding the facts for some nefarious purpose of their own. This
despite them telling us that 99% or what ever, of scientists are devout xtians.

` In the second, the argument starts: "You can't prove it", and from that point
onwards
the only argument you get in spite of reams of evidence, is: "You can't prove it".
Somewhere along the line some one will point out that you cannot prove that you
exist.
Does that sound like a sane argument?

>I came to this newgroup to persuade as many atheists as possible to avoid
>eternal damnation through salvation in Jesus Christ.

I'm sure you did, but you have been told probably thousands of times, that we are
not interested in your blood drinker, But still you persist, threatening us with a
boogy man that we do not believe in, and an afterlife which is too horrifying to
contemplate, be it heaven or hell.

> It's true that sometimes I
>can come across as legitimately obnoxious, but most of the time I don't (unless
>of course you equate being Christian with being obnoxious, which many atheists
>do).

It is just your proselytizing that we find obnoxious, the more so when you have been
told to go and preach some place else.

> And BTW, the most compassionless, profane, and psychologically abusive
>posts I've ever read in my life have been posted right here in alt.atheism by
>atheists.

Why thank you. In all fairness we cannot accept all of the praise, without the
assistance our xtian cousins, without whom we would never have understood the true
meaning of "Without Compassion".

>>> Don't let their claim to argumentation put the zap on your head.
>

>> There he goes again, acting the nanny.
>
>> Salty: What is a "claim to argumentation"?
>
>It means all the reasons atheists offer for not believing in God.

All of "one whole reason"?

Let me repost our reasons for being atheist.
There is no evidence, therefore there is no reason to believe, nor indication that
there is anything to believe.
That is it in toto.

>>> In the end, all their arguments boil down to zippo.
>

>> Another "lie for Jesus" Salty?
>
>No, it is my honest opinion of atheist claims.

But you don't say that; do you? You try to give the opinion that you have evidence.

>No, it means Tags is just like I was when I was his age and went off to college
>to be brainwashed by the secular humanist perspective. I'm trying to protect
>him from what they did to me.

And what did they do to you?

>I like your respect for allowing Tags to choose freely what he will believe. We
>agree on that.

Respect has nothing to do with it, it is much simpler than that. I am an atheist, I
have no axe to grind. My only wish is that my fellow man is as happy as he can be,
and if religion is what it takes then let him have religion. All I ask is that
whichever way he finally goes, be it theist or atheist, he keeps it out of my face.

>>> There are lot's of books listed at the website in my signature.
>

>> Most of them are unfounded assertions and fear driven claims.
>
>A variation of the crabiness I spoke of ...

Hardly crabbiness, merely my translation of the opinions of xtians I know.

> He said that if you want to find Jesus then everything you need is
>in the
>bible, these books are just the opinions of men, and not the word of god.
>
>I agree that the Bible is the first thing you should read. Also, if you are
>ever in doubt, believe the Bible and not the words of men.

You are still at it, when in doubt, do it Salty's way, you are still trying to
control his thoughts.

stoney

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
On 12 Mar 2000 07:02:30 GMT, panam...@aol.compoospam (Panama Floyd)
wrote:

]>>From: D...@multicrap.nl (DJ Nozem)

(snip)

]>>I do frequently read the newspaper plus some essays on the net, but
]>>books..... I do occasionally use some references, but most of the
time
]>>just it's just me and an online dictionary which I use when I come

]>>across words I'm not familiar with.
]>
]>Gimme a link, man...I'm still using a paper one (dictionary).

http://www.m-w.com

Stoney

LP

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
On 11 Mar 2000 17:39:55 GMT, mrgoo...@aol.com (MrGoodSalt) wrote:

>"Tags" ta...@limitwebdesign.co.uk wrote:
>[snip] Any comments?
>

>Yes, don't become an atheist. If you stay here you'll just get more confused.

You mean christians get more confused.
That's what happens when you confront the plague of man, the crutch
of faith, with mankinds most valuable asset, his ability to reason.

>The atheists are wrong - and they're pissed about it so they get crabby. Don't
>let their claim to argumentation put the zap on your head. In the end, all
>their arguments boil down to zippo. Flee this evil place until you've had time
>to learn, and let us deal with the atheists for now.
>

>At least, before you decide whether to be atheist or not, check out the

>Christian perspective. There are lot's of books listed at the website in my
>signature.
>

>Two books would be of particular value for you:

Here is a book that teaches nothing about atheism. It does , however,
teach critical thinking, the foundation of atheism.
Critical thinking, the only "satan" that christianity must confront.

How to Think About Weird Things : Critical Thinking for a New Age
by Theodore Schick, Lewis Vaughn (Contributor)

This is a great book. I just finished reading it. It is written in
easy to understand language. It not only gives you tools to protect
yourself against infommercials, health fads, quack medical cures, it
also sheds light on alien abductions, astrology, homeopathy, psychics
and faith healers.

A few useful sites:
http://www.positiveatheism.org/
http://skepdic.com/
http://www.csicop.org/si/9012/critical-thinking.html

Whirl_pool

Jason McGrody

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
> sm...@rah.ssl wrote in message <8a8v4m$dt5$4...@news.chorus.net>...
> >Kids are supposed to be out drinking beer, chasing girls, deafening
> >themselves with music -- hard to fit thinking about God Stuff in there
:-)

> Oh no, don't think I don't do that, too!! I'm all up for girls and beer.
> :)

I'm 25 and I've been reading a.a off and on for seven years -
since I was a Freshman in college. It was only last year that
I got my a.a number (1626 I think)

I missed my opportunity with the girls and beer eventhough my
roommates brewed the stuff in our dorm room and had parties all
the time.

Don't be afraid to take chances (especially with women. I can't
think of anything more wonderful in this world than a beautiful,
caring, intelligent woman). Otherwise you'll end up like me -
depressed, lonely, unemployed and unmotivated. And I'm only 25!

From the replies, you definitely are not the only one under 20
reading a.a. When I was 18, my ideas about atheism were not
very solid. I was never a Christian and had not read the Bible
or many things about atheism. I had a slow internet connection
(2400) and read a.a using trn. Plus, I am neither a good writer
nor a fast writer. So I just sit back and watch the circus
unfold :).

There are some great things written here and many of you
provide great links to other websites. My thanks to all
of you for the great information. I have a great repertoire
of information to use against Christians from my years of
reading.

Jason

Tukla Ratte

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
On 11 Mar 2000 20:07:11 GMT, ClaySkye wrote:

< snip >

> >Everyone on this thread thinks I've just joined the group. I've been here
> >for months, people!
>
> Months????!!!!
>
> Why haven't you registered yet?
>
> Didn't you know that all atheists must register so that they can get their
> official placement in the conspiracy of promoting the atheist agenda?
>
> You're going to make the fundies question whether it exists at all now!

Ah, see Clayeskye? You answered your own question. Young Tags is wise
beyond his years. >;-)

--
Tukla, Eater of Theists, Squeaker of Chew Toys
Director, EAC Animoid Shocktroop Division

ClaySkye

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00
>> >Everyone on this thread thinks I've just joined the group. I've been here
>> >for months, people!
>>
>> Months????!!!!
>>
>> Why haven't you registered yet?
>>
>> Didn't you know that all atheists must register so that they can get their
>> official placement in the conspiracy of promoting the atheist agenda?
>>
>> You're going to make the fundies question whether it exists at all now!
>
>Ah, see Clayeskye? You answered your own question. Young Tags is wise
>beyond his years. >;-)

Ahhhhhhhhh! Iay eesay! On'tday elltay. Shhhhhhhhhh!

>--
>Tukla, Eater of Theists, Squeaker of Chew Toys
>Director, EAC Animoid Shocktroop Division
>Defender of the Honor of She Who Leads the EAC
>atheist #1347, Official Mascot of Alt.Atheism
>BAAWA Knight, Bat-Winged Blue-Furred Clown-Nosed Three-Eyed Rat
>Furry Peace! http://www.fur.com/peace

ClayeSkye

Mark K. Bilbo

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00
And then, on 12 Mar 2000 03:54:40 GMT, mrgoo...@aol.com (MrGoodSalt)
seized the keyboard and feverishly tapped out:

[>Modern academia and the main stream media will not give you any

honest and
[>complete critique of the theory of evolution or the origins of the

universe. If

[>you want a competing opinion you will need to seek out the Christian
[>perspective.

Ah there it is. Everybody's wrong except MrDelusionsOfGodhood.

Mark K. Bilbo - Atheist 1423
Member American Atheists, Inc.
"And the day will come, when the mystical generation
of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His Father, in the
womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of
the generation of Minerva, in the brain of Jupiter."
-- Thomas Jefferson