It's legal to publically worship Zeus again.

1 view

Ben Kaufman

Mar 26, 2006, 7:57:09 AM3/26/06
Until now Ministry of Culture banned them from conducting public worship at
archeological sites and their gatherings were often secretive.
Greek Orthodox Church is severely criticizing worship of ancient deities.

http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?catid=124&newsid=85091&ch=0&datte=2006-03-25

bg1...@apexmail.com

Mar 26, 2006, 8:11:35 AM3/26/06

Which just goes to show that numbers, not facts, determine what
is called "cult" and what is called a "religion".

Popularity, not propriety, it what prevails.

Bob Dog

-----

"Easily the biggest challenge facing the ID community
is to develop a full-fledged theory of biological
design. We don't have such a theory right now, and
that's a real problem. Without a theory, it's very
hard to know where to direct your research focus."
- Paul Nelson, creationist
and anti-science advocate

"Maybe he needs a new version of the Ten Commandments
-- George W. Bush's Ten Commandments:
Thou shalt not steal...votes.
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's...country.
Thou shalt not kill...for oil.
Thou shalt not take grammar...in vain."
- Margaret Cho

kathryn

Mar 26, 2006, 8:25:07 AM3/26/06

<bg1...@apexmail.com> wrote in message

> Ben Kaufman wrote:
>> Until now Ministry of Culture banned them from conducting public worship
>> at
>> archeological sites and their gatherings were often secretive.
>> Greek Orthodox Church is severely criticizing worship of ancient deities.
>>
>> http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?catid=124&newsid=85091&ch=0&datte=2006-03-25
>
> Which just goes to show that numbers, not facts, determine what
> is called "cult" and what is called a "religion".
>
> Popularity, not propriety, it what prevails.
>

> Bob Dog

perhaps they were just scared of the competition

Zeus liked to interact a lot more with his worshippers

bg1...@apexmail.com

Mar 26, 2006, 9:52:21 AM3/26/06
kathryn wrote:
> <bg1...@apexmail.com> wrote in message
> > Ben Kaufman wrote:
> >> Until now Ministry of Culture banned them from conducting public worship
> >> at
> >> archeological sites and their gatherings were often secretive.
> >> Greek Orthodox Church is severely criticizing worship of ancient deities.
> >>
> >> http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?catid=124&newsid=85091&ch=0&datte=2006-03-25
> >
> > Which just goes to show that numbers, not facts, determine what
> > is called "cult" and what is called a "religion".
> >
> > Popularity, not propriety, it what prevails.
>
> perhaps they were just scared of the competition
>
> Zeus liked to interact a lot more with his worshippers

Impregnating females against their will. Using floods to destroy
entire cities. Having his son killed in writhing agony.

They're a lot alike, aren't they?

"Who are these gods with their holier-than-thou attitudes?"
- Roman orgy-goer, "Asterix and Obelix"

johac

Mar 27, 2006, 2:31:15 AM3/27/06
In article <vp3d22dp9rdnjd1bj...@4ax.com>,
Ben Kaufman <spaXm-mXe-anXd-p...@pobox.com> wrote:

So is the church worried that people will subscribe to the old myths
rather than their newer myths?
--
John Hachmann aa #1782

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
-Voltaire

Contact - Throw a .net over the .com

Chris Johnson

Mar 27, 2006, 3:04:18 AM3/27/06

johac wrote:
> In article <vp3d22dp9rdnjd1bj...@4ax.com>,
> Ben Kaufman <spaXm-mXe-anXd-p...@pobox.com> wrote:

> > Until now Ministry of Culture banned them from conducting public worship at
> > archeological sites and their gatherings were often secretive.
> > Greek Orthodox Church is severely criticizing worship of ancient deities.
> >
> > http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?catid=124&newsid=85091&ch=0&datte=2006-03-2
> > 5
>
> So is the church worried that people will subscribe to the old myths
> rather than their newer myths?

I'd actually be curious to see a widespread revival of Olympian
polytheism. How would it compare in terms of tolerance and violence
with our monotheistic friends?

Ben Kaufman

Mar 27, 2006, 7:02:42 AM3/27/06
On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 23:31:15 -0800, johac <jhac...@sbcglobal.com> wrote:

>In article <vp3d22dp9rdnjd1bj...@4ax.com>,
> Ben Kaufman <spaXm-mXe-anXd-p...@pobox.com> wrote:

>> Until now Ministry of Culture banned them from conducting public worship at
>> archeological sites and their gatherings were often secretive.
>> Greek Orthodox Church is severely criticizing worship of ancient deities.
>>
>> http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?catid=124&newsid=85091&ch=0&datte=2006-03-2
>> 5
>
>So is the church worried that people will subscribe to the old myths
>rather than their newer myths?

It's such delicious irony.

Ben

Ben Kaufman

Mar 27, 2006, 7:08:05 AM3/27/06

Just as long as they don't come trolling here!

Ben

stoney

Mar 27, 2006, 5:50:03 PM3/27/06
On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 07:57:09 -0500, Ben Kaufman
<spaXm-mXe-anXd-p...@pobox.com> wrote in alt.atheism

So much for 'Culture' in Greece.

--
Fundies and trolls are cordially invited to
shove a wooden cross up their arses and rotate

stoney

Mar 27, 2006, 5:50:36 PM3/27/06
On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 23:31:15 -0800, johac <jhac...@sbcglobal.com>
wrote in alt.atheism

>In article <vp3d22dp9rdnjd1bj...@4ax.com>,
> Ben Kaufman <spaXm-mXe-anXd-p...@pobox.com> wrote:

>> Until now Ministry of Culture banned them from conducting public worship at
>> archeological sites and their gatherings were often secretive.
>> Greek Orthodox Church is severely criticizing worship of ancient deities.
>>
>> http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?catid=124&newsid=85091&ch=0&datte=2006-03-2
>> 5
>
>So is the church worried that people will subscribe to the old myths
>rather than their newer myths?

Yes, they're worried about the drop in prophet$$$$$$$.

Michael Gray

Mar 27, 2006, 8:46:45 PM3/27/06
wrote:
- Refer: <jhachmann-11E14...@news.giganews.com>

>In article <vp3d22dp9rdnjd1bj...@4ax.com>,
> Ben Kaufman <spaXm-mXe-anXd-p...@pobox.com> wrote:

>> Until now Ministry of Culture banned them from conducting public worship at
>> archeological sites and their gatherings were often secretive.
>> Greek Orthodox Church is severely criticizing worship of ancient deities.
>>
>> http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?catid=124&newsid=85091&ch=0&datte=2006-03-2
>> 5
>
>So is the church worried that people will subscribe to the old myths
>rather than their newer myths?

What newer myths?
They are just these old ones transparently recycled.

johac

Mar 28, 2006, 1:37:26 AM3/28/06
In article <ua5h22drhc2p370mt...@4ax.com>,
Michael Gray <fle...@newsguy.spam.com> wrote:

Well that is true. The just change the names and add a few bits to the
story and take out a few of the old and Presto! Chango! Osiris becomes
Jesus and Zeus rips off his cloak and is revealed as Yaweh.

johac

Mar 28, 2006, 1:37:46 AM3/28/06
In article <31rg22p2udcd44pco...@4ax.com>,
stoney <sto...@the.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 23:31:15 -0800, johac <jhac...@sbcglobal.com>
> wrote in alt.atheism
>
> >In article <vp3d22dp9rdnjd1bj...@4ax.com>,
> > Ben Kaufman <spaXm-mXe-anXd-p...@pobox.com> wrote:

> >> Until now Ministry of Culture banned them from conducting public worship
> >> at
> >> archeological sites and their gatherings were often secretive.
> >> Greek Orthodox Church is severely criticizing worship of ancient deities.
> >>
> >> http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?catid=124&newsid=85091&ch=0&datte=2006-0
> >> 3-2
> >> 5
> >
> >So is the church worried that people will subscribe to the old myths
> >rather than their newer myths?
>
> Yes, they're worried about the drop in prophet$$$$$$$.

As always.

johac

Mar 28, 2006, 1:46:06 AM3/28/06
In article <1143446658.0...@t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"Chris Johnson" <effi...@gmail.com> wrote:

The old Greeks were pretty warlike, but then again they lived in violent
times. What is interesting is not only that their gods squabbled and
fought among themselves, but also took sides in human conflicts, e. g.
in Homer's Iliad.

Ben Kaufman

Mar 28, 2006, 6:40:04 AM3/28/06

That was a mis-translation. It was actually, ".. rips off his cloak and reveals
his yaweh." :-)

Ben

johac

Mar 29, 2006, 12:38:18 AM3/29/06
In article <a18i22hdd3bia5k24...@4ax.com>,
Ben Kaufman <spaXm-mXe-anXd-p...@pobox.com> wrote:

Oh! So that's what it means. No wonder that it's never written out.

> Ben

stoney

Mar 29, 2006, 12:29:35 PM3/29/06
On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 22:37:46 -0800, johac <jhac...@sbcglobal.com>
wrote in alt.atheism

>In article <31rg22p2udcd44pco...@4ax.com>,
> stoney <sto...@the.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 23:31:15 -0800, johac <jhac...@sbcglobal.com>
>> wrote in alt.atheism

>> >So is the church worried that people will subscribe to the old myths
>> >rather than their newer myths?
>>
>> Yes, they're worried about the drop in prophet$$$$$$$.
>
>As always.

They're pathetic.

stoney

Mar 29, 2006, 12:31:29 PM3/29/06
On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 06:40:04 -0500, Ben Kaufman
<spaXm-mXe-anXd-p...@pobox.com> wrote in alt.atheism

>On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 22:37:26 -0800, johac <jhac...@sbcglobal.com> wrote:

And the ladies intoned; "Why did you bother?"

Thandarr

Mar 29, 2006, 12:38:29 PM3/29/06
Oh yeah, that reminds me, all you atheists better get right with Zeus!

Thandarr

Mgr Dry Martini

Mar 29, 2006, 1:43:27 PM3/29/06
Couldn't I get right with Priapus instead?

Fwap

Mar 29, 2006, 7:07:20 PM3/29/06
On 29 Mar 2006 10:43:27 -0800, "Mgr Dry Martini"
<daveg...@aol.com> wrote:

>Couldn't I get right with Priapus instead?

Actually, I think it depends on wether the gods has brought
you anything good lately. If it has, you're supposed to
thank the gods with generous gifts in return. If you don't,
the gods will be disappointed, and may not bring any to the
next party, or even refrain from answering any further
invitations. Or smite you with boils.

According to Sokrates, they like cocks.

johac

Mar 30, 2006, 1:25:46 AM3/30/06
In article <bvgl22detfreu6481...@4ax.com>,
stoney <sto...@the.net> wrote:

...and greedy.

johac

Mar 30, 2006, 1:28:37 AM3/30/06
In article <o2hl22lufln8q4kkt...@4ax.com>,
stoney <sto...@the.net> wrote:

Zeus/Yaweh gets embarrassed and goes looking for a few good goats.

Michael Gray

Mar 30, 2006, 2:28:56 AM3/30/06
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 22:28:37 -0800, johac <jhac...@sbcglobal.com>
wrote:
- Refer: <jhachmann-59C97...@news.giganews.com>

So, the Masons were right!

johac

Mar 31, 2006, 12:54:03 AM3/31/06
In article <852n22dae3il83u0b...@4ax.com>,
Michael Gray <fle...@newsguy.spam.com> wrote:

<cue Simpson's episode about the 'Stonecutters'>

stoney

Mar 31, 2006, 4:06:51 PM3/31/06
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 22:25:46 -0800, johac <jhac...@sbcglobal.com>
wrote in alt.atheism

and the epitome of perversion.

stoney

Mar 31, 2006, 4:07:23 PM3/31/06
On 29 Mar 2006 09:38:29 -0800, "Thandarr" <than...@yahoo.com> wrote in
alt.atheism

>Oh yeah, that reminds me, all you atheists better get right with Zeus!

Theists, not atheists.

stoney

Mar 31, 2006, 4:08:06 PM3/31/06
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 22:28:37 -0800, johac <jhac...@sbcglobal.com>
wrote in alt.atheism

>In article <o2hl22lufln8q4kkt...@4ax.com>,

And gets mounted by the rams.

Thandarr

Mar 31, 2006, 9:49:30 PM3/31/06
Depends on your perspective, I guess. In Rome, before Constantine
fucked things up, the Christians were considered atheists. And they
were.

But I originally posted this for the 21st Century atheists. At the
time, I was just trying to generate posts for alt.slack.

Thandarr

johac

Apr 1, 2006, 2:09:29 AM4/1/06
In article <ug6r2211ielstodb7...@4ax.com>,
stoney <sto...@the.net> wrote:

Ram power!

johac

Apr 1, 2006, 2:10:29 AM4/1/06
In article <oe6r22h52sj0909ot...@4ax.com>,
stoney <sto...@the.net> wrote:

...and corruption.

stoney

Apr 2, 2006, 2:48:38 PM4/2/06
On 31 Mar 2006 18:49:30 -0800, "Thandarr" <than...@yahoo.com> wrote in
alt.atheism

>Depends on your perspective, I guess. In Rome, before Constantine

>fucked things up, the Christians were considered atheists. And they
>were.

And still are. I see now you were using the term properly instead of
the commonly improper method.

stoney

Apr 2, 2006, 2:51:52 PM4/2/06
On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 23:10:29 -0800, johac <jhac...@sbcglobal.com>
wrote in alt.atheism

and insecure control freqs....

stoney

Apr 2, 2006, 2:52:24 PM4/2/06
On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 23:09:29 -0800, johac <jhac...@sbcglobal.com>
wrote in alt.atheism

The butt of jokes...

johac

Apr 3, 2006, 12:47:48 AM4/3/06
In article <i47032p20tcm82n36...@4ax.com>,
stoney <sto...@the.net> wrote:

Most of the time they are out of control.

johac

Apr 3, 2006, 12:50:08 AM4/3/06
In article <qa7032hu44t1lh5i9...@4ax.com>,
stoney <sto...@the.net> wrote:

The joker of butts.

stoney

Apr 4, 2006, 11:57:29 AM4/4/06
On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 21:47:48 -0700, johac <jhac...@sbcglobal.com>
wrote in alt.atheism

>In article <i47032p20tcm82n36...@4ax.com>,
> stoney <sto...@the.net> wrote:

[]

and wildly ecstatic

stoney

Apr 4, 2006, 11:59:43 AM4/4/06
On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 21:50:08 -0700, johac <jhac...@sbcglobal.com>
wrote in alt.atheism

>In article <qa7032hu44t1lh5i9...@4ax.com>,
> stoney <sto...@the.net> wrote:

[]

>> >Ram power!
>>
>> The butt of jokes...
>
>The joker of butts.

still stinks

johac

Apr 5, 2006, 1:05:42 AM4/5/06
In article <4p55329sf51oij6ee...@4ax.com>,
stoney <sto...@the.net> wrote:

'Clerics Gone Wild!'

johac

Apr 5, 2006, 1:06:18 AM4/5/06
In article <gu5532pd2m79ukd5t...@4ax.com>,
stoney <sto...@the.net> wrote:

Like long dead skinks.

Harry F. Leopold

Apr 5, 2006, 11:54:59 AM4/5/06
On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 00:06:18 -0500, johac wrote
(in article <jhachmann-CA408...@news.giganews.com>):

Nah, just dead for a couple of days skinks, long dead skinks don't stink,
fresh dead skinks don't stink, but for a couple of days up to a week, boy do
skinks stink!

--
Harry F. Leopold
aa #2076

Campus Crusade for Cthulhu

Ben Kaufman

Apr 4, 2006, 11:47:36 PM4/4/06

No wonder, they didn't have talcum power to put on the old yaweh.

Ben

stoney

Apr 6, 2006, 11:11:04 AM4/6/06
On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 23:47:36 -0400, Ben Kaufman
<spaXm-mXe-anXd-p...@pobox.com> wrote in alt.atheism

>On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 08:59:43 -0700, stoney <sto...@the.net> wrote:

And they weren't big on personal hygeine.

stoney

Apr 6, 2006, 11:10:34 AM4/6/06
On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 22:05:42 -0700, johac <jhac...@sbcglobal.com>
wrote in alt.atheism

Lock up the boys!

Ben Kaufman

Apr 7, 2006, 5:02:36 PM4/7/06

Another piece of evidence for evolution, we used to smell as bad as apes ;-)

Ben

stoney

Apr 9, 2006, 2:04:01 PM4/9/06
On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 17:02:36 -0400, Ben Kaufman
<spaXm-mXe-anXd-p...@pobox.com> wrote in alt.atheism

And 'Jesus' hasn't evolved.

Ben Kaufman

Apr 9, 2006, 10:29:45 PM4/9/06
On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 11:04:01 -0700, stoney <sto...@the.net> wrote:
<SNIP>

>And 'Jesus' hasn't evolved.

The myth may be evolving. First, Judas may not have betrayed him, and second,
he may have been crucified by his genitals.

http://tinyurl.com/ql5cc

Ben

stoney

Apr 12, 2006, 12:04:04 PM4/12/06
On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 22:29:45 -0400, Ben Kaufman
<spaXm-mXe-anXd-p...@pobox.com> wrote in alt.atheism

>On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 11:04:01 -0700, stoney <sto...@the.net> wrote:

So the character really was heavy into extreme S&M and B&D.

stoney

Apr 12, 2006, 12:09:39 PM4/12/06
On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 22:29:45 -0400, Ben Kaufman
<spaXm-mXe-anXd-p...@pobox.com> wrote in alt.atheism

>On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 11:04:01 -0700, stoney <sto...@the.net> wrote:

http://webcenters.netscape.compuserve.com/news/story.jsp?idq=/ff/story/7000/20060330/0325000001.htm

Image of Jesus' crucifixion may be wrong, says study

PARIS (AFP) - The image of the crucifixion, one of the most powerful
emblems of Christianity, may be quite erroneous, according to a study
which says there is no evidence to prove Jesus was crucified in this
manner.

Around the world, in churches, on the walls of Christian homes, on
crucifixes worn as pendants, in innumerable books, paintings and movies,
Jesus Christ is seen nailed to the cross by his hands and feet, with his
head upwards and arms outstretched.

But a paper published by Britain's prestigious Royal Society of Medicine
(RSM) says this image has never been substantiated in fact.

Christ could have been crucified in any one of many ways, all of which
would have affected the causes of his death, it says.

"The evidence available demonstrates that people were crucified in
different postures and affixed to crosses using a variety of means,"
said one of the authors, Piers Mitchell of Imperial College London.

"Victims were not necessarily positioned head up and nailed through the
feet from front to back, as is the imagery in Christian churches."

The authors do not express any doubt on the act of Jesus' crucifixion
itself.

But they note that the few eyewitness descriptions available today of
crucifixions in the 1st century AD show the Romans had a broad and cruel
imagination.

Their crucifixion methods probably evolved over time and depended on the
social status of the victim and on the crime he allegedly committed,
says the paper in April's issue of the RSM journal.

The cross could be erected "in any one of a range of orientations", with
the victim sometimes head-up, sometimes head-down or in different
postures.

Sometimes he was nailed to the cross by his genitals, sometimes the
hands and feet were attached to the side of the cross and not the front,
or affixed with cords rather than nails.

"If crucified head-up, the victim's weight may also have been supported
on a small seat. This was believed to prolong the time it took a man to
die," says the study, co-authored by Matthew Masien, also of Imperial
College London's medicine faculty.

Crucifixion was widely practised by the Romans to punish criminals and
rebels, but if the empire ever circulated instructions for the soldiers
who carried out the gruesome task, none has survived today.

Nor is there any detailed account of the method of Jesus' crucifixion in
the four Gospels of the Bible (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) which are
believed to be near contemporary accounts of the life of Christ.

And only one piece of archaeological evidence has ever been found about
a crucifixion, mainly because crucified people were not formally buried
but left on a rubbish dump to be eaten by wild dogs and hyenas, say
Masien and Mitchell.

This case entails a young Jewish man, whose inscription on an ossuary,
found near Giv'at ha-Mivtar in Israel, suggests his name was probably
Yehonanan ben Hagkol.

The clue to his demise comes from an 11.5-centimetre (4.8-inch) iron
nail that had been hammered through one of his heels, attaching it to
the side of the cross. But there are no signs of any nail holes in the
bones of the wrist or the forearm.

Over the past 150 years, there have been at least 10 books and studies
to try to understand the physical causes of Jesus' death, and one US
attempt, in 2005, even featured a "humane re-enactment" in which
volunteers were attached to a cross in safe and temporary way, using
gloves and belts.

These explorations have yielded a wide range of hypotheses, from heart
failure and pulmonary embolism to asphyxia and shock induced by falling
blood pressure.

Excruciating pain endured over the six hours between crucifixion and
death, loss of blood, dehydration and the weight of the body on the
lungs are cited as contributing factors.

But, the study says, these efforts have all been prejudiced by the
automatic assumption, derived from religious images, that Jesus was
crucified head-up.

Given the uncertainty as to exactly how he was crucified, the answer may
only ever come if some new archaeological evidence or piece of writing
emerges from the shadows of the past, it says.

03/30/2006 03:21

/end

Michelle Malkin

Apr 12, 2006, 10:33:20 PM4/12/06

"Ben Kaufman" <spaXm-mXe-anXd-p...@pobox.com> wrote in message

> On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 11:04:01 -0700, stoney <sto...@the.net> wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
>>And 'Jesus' hasn't evolved.
>
> The myth may be evolving. First, Judas may not have betrayed him, and
> second,
> he may have been crucified by his genitals.

What a crucifix that would make!

--
Michelle Malkin (Mickey) aa list#1