OT: Beer is Good for You...

Darwin

Oct 25, 2001, 4:11:53 AM10/25/01

There is nothing more satisfying than kicking back to a six pack of
Coors Light and watching...err...wrestling? football? baseball?
Monty Python?

Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to do
whilst drinking beer? Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing
without a cold one in hand.

Also, what is your favorite beer?

This is just idle curiousity, but please indulge me.

--
~Darwin~

"Formerly one sought the feeling of the grandeur of
man by pointing to his divine origin: this has now
become a forbidden way, for at its portal stands the
ape, together with other gruesome beasts, grinning
knowingly as if to say: no further in this direction!"
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Jos Flachs

Oct 25, 2001, 4:51:47 AM10/25/01
On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 08:11:53 GMT, jo...@NOSPAMlost-horizon.com (Darwin)
wrote:

>There is nothing more satisfying than kicking back to a six pack of
>Coors Light and watching...err...wrestling? football? baseball?
>Monty Python?

Uh, a six pack of real beer perhaps? US light beers are not much
different from diluted distilled water....
I'll settle for Monty. And a real beer.

>Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to do
>whilst drinking beer? Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing
>without a cold one in hand.

Having a good chat with some friends.

>Also, what is your favorite beer?

All time favorites: all Krieken and Lambic beers. For special
occasions: Liefmans.
course who could live without Trappist beers?
Lowenbrau (with lemon) is fine.

However, in Thailand we are not that far advanced, so I be happy with
a Black Beer. Kloster is OK, and Singha a wee bit too bitter to my
taste.

>This is just idle curiousity, but please indulge me.

Happy to oblige. This is my other hobby.

Fred Stone

Oct 25, 2001, 5:10:04 AM10/25/01
Darwin wrote:

> There is nothing more satisfying than kicking back to a six pack of
> Coors Light and watching...err...wrestling? football? baseball?
> Monty Python?

Coors Light isn't beer.
Or rather, Coors Light is beer for people who don't like beer.
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is beer for people who like beer. ;-)

> Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to do
> whilst drinking beer? Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing
> without a cold one in hand.

Brewing the next batch. Damn hot watching five gallons of incipient
beer boil for an hour.

> Also, what is your favorite beer?

The one I just made.

> This is just idle curiousity, but please indulge me.

Always happy to talk about beer. ;-)
My favorite subject.
I can *bore* people about beer.

--
Fred Stone
aa # 1369

change g.com to k.net to e-mail me.

Darwin

Oct 25, 2001, 5:22:32 AM10/25/01
On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 05:10:04 -0400, Fred Stone
<fsto...@earthling.com> wrote:

>Darwin wrote:
>
>> There is nothing more satisfying than kicking back to a six pack of
>> Coors Light and watching...err...wrestling? football? baseball?
>> Monty Python?
>
>Coors Light isn't beer.
>Or rather, Coors Light is beer for people who don't like beer.
>Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is beer for people who like beer. ;-)

I am noticing already that Coors Light might not have been a good
example. I actually like it, but that's probaby because I've never
had any Sierra Nevada Pale Ale..hehe...never had any of the beer
mentioned by Jos Flachs either...

So dammit, not only am I behind in my knowledge of Monty Python, I am
also behind in my beer consumption. I have a lot of watchin' and
drinkin' to do. :-)

>> Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to do
>> whilst drinking beer? Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing
>> without a cold one in hand.
>
>Brewing the next batch. Damn hot watching five gallons of incipient
>beer boil for an hour.
>
>> Also, what is your favorite beer?
>
>The one I just made.

And you didn't invite me?

>> This is just idle curiousity, but please indulge me.
>
>Always happy to talk about beer. ;-)
>My favorite subject.
>I can *bore* people about beer.
>
>--
>Fred Stone
>aa # 1369
>EAC Microbiologist - Saccharomyces Division
>BAAWA Brewmaster
>
>change g.com to k.net to e-mail me.

Fred Stone

Oct 25, 2001, 5:27:47 AM10/25/01
Darwin wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 05:10:04 -0400, Fred Stone
> <fsto...@earthling.com> wrote:
>
> >Darwin wrote:
> >
> >> There is nothing more satisfying than kicking back to a six pack of
> >> Coors Light and watching...err...wrestling? football? baseball?
> >> Monty Python?
> >
> >Coors Light isn't beer.
> >Or rather, Coors Light is beer for people who don't like beer.
> >Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is beer for people who like beer. ;-)
>
> I am noticing already that Coors Light might not have been a good
> example. I actually like it, but that's probaby because I've never
> had any Sierra Nevada Pale Ale..hehe...never had any of the beer
> mentioned by Jos Flachs either...

It's tough to get good microbrew far from where it's made,
so you have to look around for a craft beer from your neighborhood.
Or find a brewpub. "Hops" is a pretty decent chain brewpub.

> So dammit, not only am I behind in my knowledge of Monty Python, I am
> also behind in my beer consumption. I have a lot of watchin' and
> drinkin' to do. :-)

It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle. ;-)

> >> Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to do
> >> whilst drinking beer? Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing
> >> without a cold one in hand.
> >
> >Brewing the next batch. Damn hot watching five gallons of incipient
> >beer boil for an hour.
> >
> >> Also, what is your favorite beer?
> >
> >The one I just made.
>
> And you didn't invite me?

My door is always open while I'm brewing. I need the ventilation. :-)

Wolf333

Oct 25, 2001, 6:23:52 AM10/25/01

"Darwin" <jo...@NOSPAMlost-horizon.com> wrote in message

> There is nothing more satisfying than kicking back to a six pack of
> Coors Light and watching...err...wrestling? football? baseball?
> Monty Python?

Coors Light? Ugh... Just kidding. Everyone has their own tastes (some not as
bad as yours ::).

> Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to do
> whilst drinking beer? Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing
> without a cold one in hand.

Best thing: hanging around and bullshitting with friends.
Thing I cannot imagine without a cold one: going to a baseball game. I don't
really like baseball, but I love going to the games. Flat beer and those red
hot-dogs... flat beer and rubbery nachos...

Watching "Die Hard" is also good.

> Also, what is your favorite beer?

Tough one. Some of our British friends might set me straight, but I think
it's called John Smiths Amber. It's been almost ten years (not to mention
the fact that I was drinking at the time). I don't like stouts, I can say
that for sure.

Mark Whickman

Oct 25, 2001, 6:47:30 AM10/25/01

Darwin <jo...@NOSPAMlost-horizon.com> wrote in message

> There is nothing more satisfying than kicking back to a six pack of
> Coors Light and watching...err...wrestling? football? baseball?
> Monty Python?
>
> Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to do
> whilst drinking beer? Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing
> without a cold one in hand.

Unfortunately mine are chilled as opposed to cold, the flavour completely
changes depending on temperature.
I need a beer in a pub or a bottle when level designing for quake.

> Also, what is your favorite beer?

London Pride - A London brown with a strong malty flavour and hops.
Waggledance - A powerful honey beer.

Mark Whickman

Oct 25, 2001, 6:49:40 AM10/25/01

Wolf333 <wol...@spamspamexcite.com> wrote in message

> > Also, what is your favorite beer?
>
> Tough one. Some of our British friends might set me straight, but I think
> it's called John Smiths Amber. It's been almost ten years (not to mention
> the fact that I was drinking at the time). I don't like stouts, I can say
> that for sure.

Don't recall John Smiths doing an Amber. The John smiths most people get is
the bitter which I drink but am not all that hot on.

NM - Remove LALALALALA to email me

Oct 25, 2001, 7:40:41 AM10/25/01
On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 10:11:53 +0200, Darwin wrote:

> Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to do
> whilst drinking beer? Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing
> without a cold one in hand.

The stuff you do in the pubs, I guess. Like bullshit drunk chicks.

> Also, what is your favorite beer?

Guinness. It's a whole meal.

Steve Knight

Oct 25, 2001, 8:29:49 AM10/25/01
wrote:

>There is nothing more satisfying than kicking back to a six pack of
>Coors Light and watching...err...wrestling? football? baseball?
>Monty Python?
>
>Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to do
>whilst drinking beer? Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing
>without a cold one in hand.

Fishing.

>Also, what is your favorite beer?

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Warlord Steve
BAAWA

Steve Knight

Oct 25, 2001, 8:33:07 AM10/25/01
On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 05:10:04 -0400, Fred Stone
<fsto...@earthling.com> wrote:

snip

>Coors Light isn't beer.
>Or rather, Coors Light is beer for people who don't like beer.
>Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is beer for people who like beer. ;-)

(sniff)

Brother....

(puts on potential BAAWA Knight list)

Warlord Steve
BAAWA

Mark Whickman

Oct 25, 2001, 8:54:55 AM10/25/01

NM - Remove LALALALALA to email me <nicoLAL...@altiva.fr> wrote in
message news:pan.2001.10.25.1...@altiva.fr...

To quote Viz.
"A glass of marmite topped with shaving foam makes a quite convincing pint
of Guiness, and has the advantage of tasting nicer."

Bill Thacker

Oct 25, 2001, 9:03:23 AM10/25/01
In article <3bd7c644.271769044@news>,

Darwin <jo...@NOSPAMlost-horizon.com> wrote:

>Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to do
>whilst drinking beer?

Swallow. Otherwise it all just makes a big mess.

>Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing
>without a cold one in hand.

Necrophilia.

OK, OK. Honestly, my beer drinking is mostly done with a
meal; other than that, it's usually while relaxing in the evening,
in front of the TV or with a book. (I find that if I drink several
beers while reading I forget what I've read, thus saving me
big dollars on books!)

>Also, what is your favorite beer?

St. Georgen Braeu Kellerbier (in Buttenheim, Germany - interestingly,
the ancestral home of one Levi Strauss.)

Bill Thacker Atheist #1363 bi...@woods-car.com
Bill's Rail Buggy Page: http://www.woods-car.com

Director of the EAC Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, Fast Cars,
and Pornography.

"The things that you're liable to read in the Bible -
it ain't necessarily so." - George and Ira Gershwin

Woden

Oct 25, 2001, 9:13:30 AM10/25/01
wrote:

>There is nothing more satisfying than kicking back to a six pack of
>Coors Light and watching...err...wrestling? football? baseball?
>Monty Python?

And what kind of heresy is this - talking about beer & Coors Light in the
same sentence?

>Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to do
>whilst drinking beer? Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing
>without a cold one in hand.

Beer & Pizza.

>Also, what is your favorite beer?

The current one. I have eclectic tastes.

>This is just idle curiousity, but please indulge me.

--

Woden

"religion is a socio-political institution for the control of
people's thoughts, lives, and actions; based on
ancient myths and superstitions perpetrated through
generations of subtle yet pervasive brainwashing."

chib

Oct 25, 2001, 9:13:18 AM10/25/01
In article <3bd7c644.271769044@news>, Darwin
<jo...@NOSPAMlost-horizon.com> wrote:

> There is nothing more satisfying than kicking back to a six pack of
> Coors Light and watching...err...wrestling? football? baseball?
> Monty Python?
>
> Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to do
> whilst drinking beer? Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing
> without a cold one in hand.

Living.

> Also, what is your favorite beer?

Like MGD when I'm slumming. It's cheap, plentiful, not bad for
mass-produced yellow stuff.

Any Mexican beer, including Corona.

My own home-brew for a treat.

-chib

--
Member of SMASH
Sarcastic Middle-aged Atheists with a Sense of Humor

Kilmir

Oct 25, 2001, 9:37:08 AM10/25/01
"Darwin" <jo...@NOSPAMlost-horizon.com> wrote in message

> There is nothing more satisfying than kicking back to a six pack of
> Coors Light and watching...err...wrestling? football? baseball?
> Monty Python?

Considering the first three aren't popular here I tend to pick Monty from
the list. But for the rest anything on tv or on my pc for that matter :)

> Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to do
> whilst drinking beer? Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing
> without a cold one in hand.

Getting drunk.

And attending festivals. You need the beer to be able to ignore the smell of
the place :)

> Also, what is your favorite beer?

Grolsch and Hertog Jan. Both not so well known beers from the smaller
countries. If you want to know where it comes from, just ask yourself where
Heineken comes from and then consider that's the junk we export :)

Kilmir
--
a.a. #1944
http://questioner.www2.50megs.com/

Bill Thacker

Oct 25, 2001, 10:16:08 AM10/25/01
In article <3bd7d881.276438173@news>,

Darwin <jo...@NOSPAMlost-horizon.com> wrote:
>On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 05:10:04 -0400, Fred Stone
><fsto...@earthling.com> wrote:
>
>>Or rather, Coors Light is beer for people who don't like beer.
>>Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is beer for people who like beer. ;-)

Aye. For a widely-distributed American beer, this is the best one
you're likely to find. Sam Adams can't touch it. For those
who've been raised on Coors/Bud/Miller, when you try an SNPA you'll
taste something very strange. That's called "hops." :-)

>I am noticing already that Coors Light might not have been a good
>example. I actually like it, but that's probaby because I've never
>had any Sierra Nevada Pale Ale..hehe...

Much as we love to make fun of American beer, in the end I'll always
admit that a hundred million thirsty beer-drinkers can't be entirely
wrong. There's something good about these beers.

For me, the key to understanding it is first to understand another
bizarre American taste; ice-cold drinks. In Europe (the source of
nearly all those brews beer snobs like me prefer to Coors) people
just don't drink things so cold. Water and mineral water are
typically served at "cellar" temperature, maybe 65 degrees F. A cold
soft drink is usually served at 45 F or warmer, and lager beer is
served best in the range 45-55F (and a British ale, from about 55 up
to 65F). Americans would be serving all these at as close to 32F
(freezing, for those living in 21st century metric countries).

If you take one of our beloved British or continental beers and chill
it in ice for an hour, it doesn't taste very good - not like it
should. (Think of serving a red wine chilled.) Likewise, if you let
an American beer warm up... well, you know how bad *that* is. So the
thing is, Coors is really a perfectly fine beer, given that it's
intended to be consumed ice-cold. (Personally, I'll admit a weakness
for Rolling Rock after hard labor. And indeed, about 20 years of hard
labor is what it would take to make me drink Coors again. :-)

In Bavaria, they brew a type of beer called Weizen, which contains a
lot of wheat in the malt. This makes the beer lighter in body, with a
bit of a sharp bite to the flavor, and Bavarians tend to drink it more
in the warm summer weather. I've found that Americans visiting
Germany tend to really like Weizen, preferring it to the Bavarian
pilsener-style beers (which are simply superb, hardly surprising since
Pilsen is not too far from there). I, on the other hand, find Weizen
an interesting diversion, but when I want a beer I ask for a Pils or a
Keller. To me, that suggests that the typical American is pretty
consistent in preferring drinks suitable for hot weather. Which,
compared to the brewing portions of Europe, we have in abundance.

So all in all, I think American beer preferences are not to be
laughed at. We don't drink thin beer because we're wimps or have no
taste, we drink them because they're the best everyday drink in our
climate. And they're cheap. :-)

But heck... even a grocery store nowadays can be counted on to carry a
small selection of microbrews and imports, and a six-pack just isn't
that expensive. If you think you like beer, you're a wimp if you
don't occasionally spring for one of these, just to broaden your
horizons.

>never had any of the beer
>mentioned by Jos Flachs either...

Don't feel too badly. Most of the beers Jos mentions are Dutch
and Belgian, and about the only Dutch beer you'll find easily in
America is Heineken. Which ain't that far from Budweiser, in the
big picture. (Ditto for Becks, the other huge mass-market beer you
can find nearly anywhere in Europe.)

The Dutch and Belgians probably enjoy a greater selection of beer
styles than anyplace in the world, in that they have a large
variety of domestic brews, neighbor on countries that add many
other varieties to the mix, and see imports from all over the
world. In the Netherlands, there's a strong Indonesian/Pacific
influence thanks to the colonial ties. To translate Jos' beer
list:

>> All time favorites: all Krieken and Lambic beers. For special
>> occasions: Liefmans.

Lambic is a special Belgian beer, fermented first in open vats
where they pick up various "wild" yeasts, then in wood casks
for secondary fermentation and storage for a year or so. There's a
lot more to the process - it's complex and has several variants.
The bottom line is that it's a very unusual flavor for beer, and
most people need to aquire the taste, which has strong sweet and sour
components. Kriek is a lambic flavored with cherries, so it's
even wierder. Much as I love beer, I usually am not in the mood for
one of these.

White beers (Whitbier) are light Dutch beers. They contain some
wheat in addition to barley malt and are not strongly hopped.
Weissen... I *think* that's the Dutch form of the German "Weizen"
wheat beer I mentioned earlier, but I'm not sure. (Sometimes these
beers are called Weisse (White) in Germany, though that name is
better associated with a particular beer brewed only in Berlin,
Berliner Weisse.)

>>And of
>> course who could live without Trappist beers?

The Trappist monasteries in Belgium have a long brewing tradition,
producing some excellent beers, many of which are (ahem) "unusually"
strong. :-) You can find these in America - heck, you can find just
about any beer in America if you look hard enough, but these
are relatively easy.

>> Lowenbrau (with lemon) is fine.

I doubt Jos means our American Lowenbrau. That's actually a pretty
common name; I think there are three different Loewenbraeus in
Bavaria alone, and a large Loewenbraeu in Switzerland.

>However, in Thailand we are not that far advanced, so I be happy with
>a Black Beer. Kloster is OK, and Singha a wee bit too bitter to my
>taste.

Black beer - well, it may be different in Thailand, but in Europe
these are very dark, earthy beers; kind of like stouts, but not as
heavy-bodied. Traditionally, they were advertised as "restoratives";
healthy beers chock-full of vitamins and minerals, prescribed for the
sick or for women nursing babies. Quite yummy, honest!

Kloster generally describes a beer brewed in a monastery
("Cloister"); Trappist might be considered a subset unique to
Belgium.

Singha is a lager, fairly similar to an American beer in fact, brewed
in Indonesia (if memory serves - or is it Thailand?)

The purpose of this, apart from my own mental masturbation, is to
point out that there are myriad beer styles in the world. You
can glance at most of them (about fifty) at:

http://members.attcanada.ca/~jdoakes/styles.html

The sobering part is when you realize that most Americans have tasted
only 2-3 of these styles. It's a big world of flavors out there,
and cheap to explore.

Bill Thacker Atheist #1363 bi...@woods-car.com
Bill's Rail Buggy Page: http://www.woods-car.com

Director of the EAC Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, Fast Cars,
and Pornography.

VI VI VI: the editor of the beast.

DJ Nozem

Oct 25, 2001, 10:46:27 AM10/25/01
wrote:

>There is nothing more satisfying than kicking back to a six pack of

>Coors Light and watching...err...wrestling? football? baseball?
>Monty Python?

Drop wrestling.

>Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to do
>whilst drinking beer? Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing
>without a cold one in hand.

Sitting on a terrace in the sun with some friends is definitely the
best thing you can do whilst drinking beer. The one thing I can't
imagine doing without beer is having a barbecue.

>Also, what is your favorite beer?

That depends on the occasion. I love Guinness, my favorite lager would
be Grolsch (Dutch beer) and my favourite special beer is Pauwel Kwak
(Belgian beer).

>This is just idle curiousity, but please indulge me.

--
We give meaning to each other
DJ Nozem aa#1465

Marc Satterwhite

Oct 25, 2001, 11:55:58 AM10/25/01
Darwin wrote:

A wonderful local bar has declared itself a "lite-free zone"
and simply doesn't stock any light beers.

Most American mass produced beers are listed under the
category "Industrial Swill" and the owner charges
considerably more for, say, a Bud than for most imports.

There's also a line on the menu: "Chilled mugs
are for milkshakes."

Gotta love it!!

Best, Marc

DJ Nozem

Oct 25, 2001, 11:09:41 AM10/25/01
On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 15:51:47 +0700, Jos Flachs <wcr...@ksc15.th.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 08:11:53 GMT, jo...@NOSPAMlost-horizon.com (Darwin)
>wrote:

(snip)

>>Also, what is your favorite beer?

>All time favorites: all Krieken and Lambic beers. For special
>occasions: Liefmans.
>course who could live without Trappist beers?

Particularly the Westmalle triple. It's been too long...

>Lowenbrau (with lemon) is fine.

I'll have to try it. Many brewers here have taken on experiments with
lemon and other fruits ( Lingens, Grolsch ) but the results have been
rather poor, IMO.

>However, in Thailand we are not that far advanced, so I be happy with
>a Black Beer. Kloster is OK, and Singha a wee bit too bitter to my
>taste.

Do they sell Tsing Tao in Thailand?

The Jester

Oct 25, 2001, 11:03:10 AM10/25/01
In article <3bd7c644.271769044@news>, Darwin says...

>There is nothing more satisfying than kicking back to a six pack of
>Coors Light and watching...err...wrestling? football? baseball?
>Monty Python?
>
>Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to do
>whilst drinking beer? Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing
>without a cold one in hand.

Sitting around, BSing with some of my old friends. Also, any family
gathering...not because my family is annoying (quite the contrary, actually),
but because they're borderline alcoholic...

>Also, what is your favorite beer?

Either Newcastle Ale or Yuengling Lager (anyone outside of PA heard of it?
Nectar of the [nonexistent] gods, IMHO)

-The Jester, 774

"Have I displeased you, you feckless thug?" -Josiah Bartlett

Fred Stone

Oct 25, 2001, 11:02:15 AM10/25/01
Steve Knight wrote:

<does a happy sack dance>
I'm a Bad Ass Brewer With Attitude! Yeah!

Roger Andrews

Oct 25, 2001, 11:39:38 AM10/25/01
Fred Stone <fsto...@earthling.com> wrote in message news:<3BD7DB13...@earthling.com>...
<SNIP>
> My door is always open while I'm brewing. I need the ventilation. :-)

I had to laugh when I read this.

My daughter alway bitch up a storm about the smell when I brew. I
don't know what they're complaining about. I think it's a wonderful
aroma. Especially after I start adding the hops. =)

Roger
aa#1477

Mike Ruskai

Oct 25, 2001, 11:41:03 AM10/25/01
On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 08:11:53 GMT, Darwin wrote:

>There is nothing more satisfying than kicking back to a six pack of
>Coors Light and watching...err...wrestling? football? baseball?
>Monty Python?
>
>Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to do
>whilst drinking beer? Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing
>without a cold one in hand.
>
>Also, what is your favorite beer?
>
>This is just idle curiousity, but please indulge me.

I hardly ever drink, so I can't come up with such an activity. However, when
I do, it's certainly not that swill you named!

My favorite widely-available beer is draft Bass Ale. I can't stand the big
US beers, like Budweiser, Coors, etc. Positively disgusting.

--
- Mike

Remove 'spambegone.net' and reverse to send e-mail.

DarkAngel

Oct 25, 2001, 11:44:22 AM10/25/01
Darwin wrote:

> There is nothing more satisfying than kicking back to a six pack of
> Coors Light and watching...err...wrestling? football? baseball?
> Monty Python?
>
> Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to do
> whilst drinking beer?

Even though I don't drink (like, ever), I'll take a cue from my
(anti-racist) skinhead brother and say... listening to a live concert.
It's the best thing I do without the beer, so I guess if you're a beer
drinker it would be as much fun. :)

> Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing
> without a cold one in hand.

I have none :).

> Also, what is your favorite beer?

Root beer.

--
a.a atheist #1172 Anarchy & Peace

"If you want to leave the path that you've been
taught, don't expect help, so don't get caught!"

The Anarchism FAQ
http://www.infoshop.org/faq/

Fred Stone

Oct 25, 2001, 12:21:15 PM10/25/01
Roger Andrews wrote:

It's about the heat, really. My apartment gets awful steamy after boiling
a pot of wort for an hour. The A/C bill is high enough in Miami.
I can still smell the hops a day later.

Elf Sternberg

Oct 25, 2001, 12:41:01 PM10/25/01
jo...@NOSPAMlost-horizon.com (Darwin) writes:

>Also, what is your favorite beer?

There's a microbrew about ten miles from my home that makes something
called Dragonstooth Stout. It is absolutely the smoothest, most
drinkable stout on planet Earth. It's what the 19th century people referred to
as "liquid bread," and hasn't been seen since.

Elf

--
Elf M. Sternberg, Immanentizing the Eschaton since 1988
http://www.drizzle.com/~elf/ (under construction)

Your rage is useless. Your rage will be packaged, branded
and sold back to you as entertainment. Get used to it.

Elf Sternberg

Oct 25, 2001, 12:41:08 PM10/25/01
In article <9r924l$mbo$1...@jura.cc.ic.ac.uk>
"Mark Whickman" <mark.w...@ic.ac.uk> writes:

>"A glass of marmite topped with shaving foam makes a quite convincing pint of
>Guiness, and has the advantage of tasting nicer."

Now, that's not fair. I've drunk Guiness. It's okay. Unlike the
bottle of marmite still sitting in my pantry after two years. I'm convinced
that it's still, for some definition of, edible, since virtually nothing could
live off the stuff.

Orhan Orgun

Oct 25, 2001, 12:57:07 PM10/25/01
wrote:

>There is nothing more satisfying than kicking back to a six pack of
>Coors Light

You call that beer?

Yuck!

>and watching...err...wrestling? football? baseball?
>Monty Python?
>
>Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to do

>whilst drinking beer? Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing

>without a cold one in hand.
>

>Also, what is your favorite beer?
>

>This is just idle curiousity, but please indulge me.

Orhan Orgun aa#1867
Relax, don't worry, have a home-brew
Note: you need to de-"bug" the e-mail address to e-mail me!

Orhan Orgun

Oct 25, 2001, 12:58:00 PM10/25/01
wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 08:11:53 GMT, jo...@NOSPAMlost-horizon.com (Darwin)

>wrote:
>
>>There is nothing more satisfying than kicking back to a six pack of

>>Coors Light and watching...err...wrestling? football? baseball?
>>Monty Python?
>Uh, a six pack of real beer perhaps? US light beers are not much
>different from diluted distilled water....
>I'll settle for Monty.

In fact, wasn't it MP who came up with the gem about American beer and
sex in a canoe?

> And a real beer.

>>Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to do
>>whilst drinking beer? Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing
>>without a cold one in hand.

>Having a good chat with some friends.

>>Also, what is your favorite beer?

>All time favorites: all Krieken and Lambic beers. For special
>occasions: Liefmans.
>course who could live without Trappist beers?

>Lowenbrau (with lemon) is fine.
>

>However, in Thailand we are not that far advanced, so I be happy with
>a Black Beer. Kloster is OK, and Singha a wee bit too bitter to my
>taste.
>

>>This is just idle curiousity, but please indulge me.

>Happy to oblige. This is my other hobby.

Orhan Orgun

Oct 25, 2001, 1:07:30 PM10/25/01
<fsto...@earthling.com> wrote:

>Darwin wrote:
>
>> There is nothing more satisfying than kicking back to a six pack of
>> Coors Light and watching...err...wrestling? football? baseball?
>> Monty Python?
>

>Coors Light isn't beer.
>Or rather, Coors Light is beer for people who don't like beer.
>Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is beer for people who like beer. ;-)

OK, there's something I could drink. But still, depending on the
weather, food being eaten, etc., my three top choices currently are:
IPA (always home-brewed), hefe-weizen (home-brewed or Pyramid or
Sudwerk), or stout (home-brewed or Guinness).

>> Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to do
>> whilst drinking beer? Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing
>> without a cold one in hand.
>

>Brewing the next batch. Damn hot watching five gallons of incipient
>beer boil for an hour.

IPA is the obvious choice for this activity.

But lounging under the silk tree and reading the next Harry Potter
calls for a hefe. Senegalese lemon chicken also goes with a
hefeweizen. But my Kurdish lamb stew definitely demands a stout or a
porter.

There *is* a time for a pale ale or even a good lager. For example,
when you are sitting by one of the canals in Utrecht and eating
pannekoeken, with speck en kaas, and later, for dessert, one made with
cheese and ginger.

One might even imagine drinking one of those fruit-flavored
Belgian-style travesties. For example, in the early afternoon on a hot
October day while visiting Apple Hill. You could go to the little
micrebrewery there and sip your bluebery flavored beer while wathing
the kids play soccer.

Then go out for a nice Mexican dinner and skip the Dos Equis in favor
of a bitter ale from that same microbrewery.

mmmmm

>> Also, what is your favorite beer?
>

>The one I just made.
>

>> This is just idle curiousity, but please indulge me.
>

>Always happy to talk about beer. ;-)
>My favorite subject.
>I can *bore* people about beer.

Orhan Orgun

Oct 25, 2001, 1:10:18 PM10/25/01
On 25 Oct 2001 08:39:38 -0700, crazy...@my-deja.com (Roger Andrews)
wrote:

Gotta disown the kids, surely. It's a lovely aroma if there ever was
one. And good to drink too, just before you add the hops.

And please tell me that you use the spent grains to bake the best
bread in the world. Preferably leavened by yeast that settled down at
the bottom of last month's batch of beer. Yummmmmm.

Orhan Orgun

Oct 25, 2001, 1:14:05 PM10/25/01
On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 14:46:27 GMT, D...@slowbitchmail.nl (DJ Nozem)
wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 08:11:53 GMT, jo...@NOSPAMlost-horizon.com (Darwin)
>wrote:
>
>>There is nothing more satisfying than kicking back to a six pack of
>>Coors Light and watching...err...wrestling? football? baseball?
>>Monty Python?
>
>Drop wrestling.

Oh, I was so upset by the coors lite that I overlooked wrestling.
Right, drop wrestling. Add Star Trek. Actually, I can do with or
without baseball. Add soccer. Add junkyard wars. Add modern marvels.
Actually I could imagine living without football. Add history IQ. Now
I'm happy. Bring out the sixpack.

>>Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to do
>>whilst drinking beer? Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing
>>without a cold one in hand.
>
>Sitting on a terrace in the sun with some friends is definitely the
>best thing you can do whilst drinking beer. The one thing I can't
>imagine doing without beer is having a barbecue.
>
>>Also, what is your favorite beer?
>
>That depends on the occasion. I love Guinness, my favorite lager would
>be Grolsch (Dutch beer) and my favourite special beer is Pauwel Kwak
>(Belgian beer).
>
>>This is just idle curiousity, but please indulge me.

Orhan Orgun

Oct 25, 2001, 1:17:51 PM10/25/01

Grolsch not well known? Are you out of your mind?

Here in Davis, you even get special instructions from the recycling
center on how to recycle Grolsch bottles.

Woden

Oct 25, 2001, 1:14:28 PM10/25/01
On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 12:21:15 -0400, Fred Stone <fsto...@earthling.com>
wrote:

>Roger Andrews wrote:

>> Fred Stone <fsto...@earthling.com> wrote in message news:<3BD7DB13...@earthling.com>...
>> <SNIP>
>> > My door is always open while I'm brewing. I need the ventilation. :-)
>>
>> I had to laugh when I read this.
>>
>> My daughter alway bitch up a storm about the smell when I brew. I
>> don't know what they're complaining about. I think it's a wonderful
>> aroma. Especially after I start adding the hops. =)
>
>It's about the heat, really. My apartment gets awful steamy after boiling
>a pot of wort for an hour. The A/C bill is high enough in Miami.
>I can still smell the hops a day later.

Get a propane burner you can use outside. They sell them as "turkey fryers"
in the south. Thing puts out lots of BTU's & will boil 5 gal of wort in
about 5-10 minutes. Plus the wife & daughter don't bitch about the smell.

Carl Wilson

Oct 25, 2001, 1:16:08 PM10/25/01
On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 12:29:49 GMT, Steve Knight <St...@BAAWha.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 08:11:53 GMT, jo...@NOSPAMlost-horizon.com (Darwin)
>wrote:
>

>>There is nothing more satisfying than kicking back to a six pack of
>>Coors Light and watching...err...wrestling? football? baseball?
>>Monty Python?
>>

>>Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to do
>>whilst drinking beer? Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing
>>without a cold one in hand.
>>

> Fishing.

>>Also, what is your favorite beer?
>>

> Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is excellent, but isn't quite as good as
Anchor Liberty Ale (also a pale ale) IMO. Ever had any Anchor Liberty
Ale? If not, you should give it a try. It's *really* good!

-----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! ==-----

Carl Wilson

Oct 25, 2001, 1:19:17 PM10/25/01
On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 15:03:10 GMT, The Jester <nos...@newsranger.com>
wrote:

>In article <3bd7c644.271769044@news>, Darwin says...
>>

>>There is nothing more satisfying than kicking back to a six pack of
>>Coors Light and watching...err...wrestling? football? baseball?
>>Monty Python?
>>
>>Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to do
>>whilst drinking beer? Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing
>>without a cold one in hand.
>
>Sitting around, BSing with some of my old friends. Also, any family
>gathering...not because my family is annoying (quite the contrary, actually),
>but because they're borderline alcoholic...
>
>>Also, what is your favorite beer?
>
>Either Newcastle Ale or Yuengling Lager (anyone outside of PA heard of it?
>Nectar of the [nonexistent] gods, IMHO)

I'm in Oklahoma and have had Yuengling Lager. Of course, the fact
that I'm originally from PA might have something to do with it. ;-)

Bill Thacker

Oct 25, 2001, 1:39:44 PM10/25/01
In article <l3hgttg4snd28p780...@4ax.com>,

Orhan Orgun <orhanb...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 15:51:47 +0700, Jos Flachs <wcr...@ksc15.th.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Uh, a six pack of real beer perhaps? US light beers are not much
>>different from diluted distilled water....
>>I'll settle for Monty.
>
>In fact, wasn't it MP who came up with the gem about American beer and
>sex in a canoe?

Though there's also the story, perhaps apocryphal, that German customs
authorities halted a shipment of Guinness Stout into Germany. The
customs declaration described the shipment as "beer", and the German
beer purity law defined beer as as substance containing only barley
malt, hops, water (and yeast), so the additional ingredients in
Guinness technically disqualified it. :-)

There's also the joke about the big beer brewer's convention in
America. One evening, the presidents of Anheuser-Busch, Coors, and
the (small) Anchor brewery all went out to a bar. Mr. Busch,
naturally, ordered a Budweiser; Mr. Coors followed suit and ordered a
Coors. When the barkeeper turned to Fritz Maytag, Anchor's president,
he ordered a Coca-Cola. He explained to the other two surprised
executives, "Heck, if you guys aren't drinking beer, neither will I."

Bill Thacker Atheist #1363 bi...@woods-car.com
Bill's Rail Buggy Page: http://www.woods-car.com

Director of the EAC Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, Fast Cars,
and Pornography.

"A fanatic is someone who knows what God would want if only He knew
the facts of the case." - unknown

Fred Stone

Oct 25, 2001, 1:34:13 PM10/25/01
Woden wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 12:21:15 -0400, Fred Stone <fsto...@earthling.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Roger Andrews wrote:
> >
> >> Fred Stone <fsto...@earthling.com> wrote in message news:<3BD7DB13...@earthling.com>...
> >> <SNIP>
> >>
> >> I had to laugh when I read this.
> >>
> >> My daughter alway bitch up a storm about the smell when I brew. I
> >> don't know what they're complaining about. I think it's a wonderful
> >> aroma. Especially after I start adding the hops. =)
> >
> >It's about the heat, really. My apartment gets awful steamy after boiling
> >a pot of wort for an hour. The A/C bill is high enough in Miami.
> >I can still smell the hops a day later.
> >

> Get a propane burner you can use outside. They sell them as "turkey fryers"
> in the south. Thing puts out lots of BTU's & will boil 5 gal of wort in
> about 5-10 minutes. Plus the wife & daughter don't bitch about the smell.

I wish :-(
The apartment rules won't let me have a propane tank. Insurance.

If I move, my new house will have plumbing for a three-tier setup.
In a whole room for the nanobrewery. :-)

Fred Stone

Oct 25, 2001, 1:37:09 PM10/25/01
Orhan Orgun wrote:

> On 25 Oct 2001 08:39:38 -0700, crazy...@my-deja.com (Roger Andrews)
> wrote:
>
> >Fred Stone <fsto...@earthling.com> wrote in message news:<3BD7DB13...@earthling.com>...
> ><SNIP>
> >> My door is always open while I'm brewing. I need the ventilation. :-)
> >
> >I had to laugh when I read this.
> >
> >My daughter alway bitch up a storm about the smell when I brew. I
> >don't know what they're complaining about. I think it's a wonderful
> >aroma. Especially after I start adding the hops. =)
> >

> Gotta disown the kids, surely. It's a lovely aroma if there ever was
> one. And good to drink too, just before you add the hops.
>
> And please tell me that you use the spent grains to bake the best
> bread in the world. Preferably leavened by yeast that settled down at
> the bottom of last month's batch of beer. Yummmmmm.

Done that. Ale yeast rises very slowly. Unless you use a quarter
cup of slurry...

Try grinding up a couple of ounces of light crystal malt and
adding it to a whole-wheat recipe. VERY good.

Mark Whickman

Oct 25, 2001, 1:38:25 PM10/25/01

Elf Sternberg <e...@drizzle.com> wrote in message

> In article <9r924l$mbo$1...@jura.cc.ic.ac.uk>
> "Mark Whickman" <mark.w...@ic.ac.uk> writes:
>
> >"A glass of marmite topped with shaving foam makes a quite convincing
pint of
> >Guiness, and has the advantage of tasting nicer."
>
> Now, that's not fair. I've drunk Guiness. It's okay. Unlike the
> bottle of marmite still sitting in my pantry after two years. I'm
convinced
> that it's still, for some definition of, edible, since virtually nothing
could
> live off the stuff.

Marmite is nice, needs to be on hot toast with butter though. Lots of
vitamins.

Mark Whickman

Oct 25, 2001, 1:37:20 PM10/25/01

Mike Ruskai <spamten.tt...@begoneynnaht.net> wrote in message

The red trinalge Bass?
Not bad but a bit too commercialised.

Fred Stone

Oct 25, 2001, 1:46:01 PM10/25/01
Orhan Orgun wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 05:10:04 -0400, Fred Stone
> <fsto...@earthling.com> wrote:
>
> >Darwin wrote:
> >
> >> There is nothing more satisfying than kicking back to a six pack of
> >> Coors Light and watching...err...wrestling? football? baseball?
> >> Monty Python?
> >
> >Coors Light isn't beer.
> >Or rather, Coors Light is beer for people who don't like beer.
> >Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is beer for people who like beer. ;-)
>
> OK, there's something I could drink. But still, depending on the
> weather, food being eaten, etc., my three top choices currently are:
> IPA (always home-brewed), hefe-weizen (home-brewed or Pyramid or
> Sudwerk), or stout (home-brewed or Guinness).

Somehow, we must share a taste bud in some philosophical phase space.

> >> Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to do
> >> whilst drinking beer? Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing
> >> without a cold one in hand.
> >
> >Brewing the next batch. Damn hot watching five gallons of incipient
> >beer boil for an hour.
>
> IPA is the obvious choice for this activity.

> But lounging under the silk tree and reading the next Harry Potter
> calls for a hefe. Senegalese lemon chicken also goes with a
> hefeweizen. But my Kurdish lamb stew definitely demands a stout or a
> porter.

Hefe's my favorite summer brew. I need to refresh my Brewtek
cultures. I've won prizes with CL-920 German Wheat strain.

Good with most chinese dishes.

> There *is* a time for a pale ale or even a good lager. For example,
> when you are sitting by one of the canals in Utrecht and eating
> pannekoeken, with speck en kaas, and later, for dessert, one made with
> cheese and ginger.
>
> One might even imagine drinking one of those fruit-flavored
> Belgian-style travesties. For example, in the early afternoon on a hot
> October day while visiting Apple Hill. You could go to the little
> micrebrewery there and sip your bluebery flavored beer while wathing
> the kids play soccer.

Ewwwww. One buddy of mine traded me a refrigerator for a batch
of Raspbeery Ale. Cough syrup. He loved it. I got comments from
people I don't even know.

> Then go out for a nice Mexican dinner and skip the Dos Equis in favor
> of a bitter ale from that same microbrewery.

Two words:
Negra Modelo. A real, actual factual Vienna Lager.

Orhan Orgun

Oct 25, 2001, 2:05:55 PM10/25/01
On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 13:37:09 -0400, Fred Stone
<fsto...@earthling.com> wrote:

>Orhan Orgun wrote:
>
>> On 25 Oct 2001 08:39:38 -0700, crazy...@my-deja.com (Roger Andrews)
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Fred Stone <fsto...@earthling.com> wrote in message news:<3BD7DB13...@earthling.com>...
>> ><SNIP>
>> >
>> >I had to laugh when I read this.
>> >
>> >My daughter alway bitch up a storm about the smell when I brew. I
>> >don't know what they're complaining about. I think it's a wonderful
>> >aroma. Especially after I start adding the hops. =)
>> >

>> Gotta disown the kids, surely. It's a lovely aroma if there ever was
>> one. And good to drink too, just before you add the hops.
>>
>> And please tell me that you use the spent grains to bake the best
>> bread in the world. Preferably leavened by yeast that settled down at
>> the bottom of last month's batch of beer. Yummmmmm.
>
>Done that. Ale yeast rises very slowly.

As a sourdough baker, I accept slow-rising as a fact of life. I've
even baked loaves that had to rise for 48 hours (not counting the
first round of fermentation to develop the sour taste, which could be
up to three weeks).

> Unless you use a quarter
>cup of slurry...

Why would you use any less? My idea is to use *no* additional liquid,
so a cup and a half would be more like it. Otherwise, you have to use
pointless stuff like water or milk instead.

>Try grinding up a couple of ounces of light crystal malt and
>adding it to a whole-wheat recipe. VERY good.

Sounds exciting. I'll try it next time. Fact is, I haven't brewed
anything since my brewmate had twins--I too have two kids and with
four of them to del with, we figured it was either homebrewing or
staying married and took the cowardly route.

Woden

Oct 25, 2001, 1:59:08 PM10/25/01
On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 13:34:13 -0400, Fred Stone <fsto...@earthling.com>
wrote:

>Woden wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 12:21:15 -0400, Fred Stone <fsto...@earthling.com>
>> wrote:

>> >It's about the heat, really. My apartment gets awful steamy after boiling
>> >a pot of wort for an hour. The A/C bill is high enough in Miami.
>> >I can still smell the hops a day later.
>> >

>> Get a propane burner you can use outside. They sell them as "turkey fryers"
>> in the south. Thing puts out lots of BTU's & will boil 5 gal of wort in
>> about 5-10 minutes. Plus the wife & daughter don't bitch about the smell.
>
>I wish :-(
>The apartment rules won't let me have a propane tank. Insurance.

Bummer.

>If I move, my new house will have plumbing for a three-tier setup.
>In a whole room for the nanobrewery. :-)

Alright When's the house warming party?

Woden

Oct 25, 2001, 2:01:22 PM10/25/01
On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 13:54:55 +0100, "Mark Whickman" <mark.w...@ic.ac.uk>
wrote:

>NM - Remove LALALALALA to email me <nicoLAL...@altiva.fr> wrote in
>message news:pan.2001.10.25.1...@altiva.fr...

>> On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 10:11:53 +0200, Darwin wrote:
>>
>> > Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to do
>> > whilst drinking beer? Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing
>> > without a cold one in hand.
>>

>> The stuff you do in the pubs, I guess. Like bullshit drunk chicks.

>> > Also, what is your favorite beer?
>>

>> Guinness. It's a whole meal.
>
>To quote Viz.

>"A glass of marmite topped with shaving foam makes a quite convincing pint
>of Guiness, and has the advantage of tasting nicer."

That doesn't say much for Viz's taste. I think I'll stick with the Guiness
or home brewed stout.

Mark Whickman

Oct 25, 2001, 2:34:39 PM10/25/01

Woden <wo...@charter.net> wrote in message

> On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 13:54:55 +0100, "Mark Whickman"
<mark.w...@ic.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>

> >NM - Remove LALALALALA to email me <nicoLAL...@altiva.fr> wrote in
> >message news:pan.2001.10.25.1...@altiva.fr...

> >> The stuff you do in the pubs, I guess. Like bullshit drunk chicks.

> >> Guinness. It's a whole meal.
> >
> >To quote Viz.
> >"A glass of marmite topped with shaving foam makes a quite convincing
pint
> >of Guiness, and has the advantage of tasting nicer."
> >

> That doesn't say much for Viz's taste. I think I'll stick with the
Guiness
> or home brewed stout.

Most Guiness is semi chemical now, especially the exported stuff.

raven1

Oct 25, 2001, 3:55:13 PM10/25/01
wrote:

>There is nothing more satisfying than kicking back to a six pack of
>Coors Light

Except perhaps being dismembered by a guy wearing a hockey mask and
wielding a chain saw. I thought this thread was supposed to be about
*beer*...

> and watching...err...wrestling? football? baseball?
>Monty Python?

Python for me.

>Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to do
>whilst drinking beer?

Hang out with friends.

> Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing
>without a cold one in hand.

Flaming a fundy on alt.atheism.

>Also, what is your favorite beer?

As a brewer, I can't pick a particular favorite overall; I have
favorites in individual beer styles. My everyday quaffing beers are
Bass Ale and La Fin Du Monde (a Duvel style beer made by Unibroue in
Quebec).

raven1

Oct 25, 2001, 3:56:55 PM10/25/01
On 25 Oct 2001 17:39:44 GMT, w...@cbemi.cb.lucent.com (Bill Thacker)
wrote:

>Though there's also the story, perhaps apocryphal, that German customs
>authorities halted a shipment of Guinness Stout into Germany. The
>customs declaration described the shipment as "beer", and the German
>beer purity law defined beer as as substance containing only barley
>malt, hops, water (and yeast), so the additional ingredients in
>Guinness technically disqualified it. :-)

I don't know of any other ingredients in Guinness. Sounds apocryphal
to me.

Fred Stone

Oct 25, 2001, 4:01:29 PM10/25/01
raven1 wrote:

Guiness has (or had) flaked, UNmalted barley which was technically not
Reinheitsgebot.

Ken Shabby

Oct 25, 2001, 4:21:30 PM10/25/01
Carl Wilson <ca...@alt-atheism.org> writes:

> On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 12:29:49 GMT, Steve Knight <St...@BAAWha.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 08:11:53 GMT, jo...@NOSPAMlost-horizon.com (Darwin)
> >wrote:
> >

> >>There is nothing more satisfying than kicking back to a six pack of
> >>Coors Light and watching...err...wrestling? football? baseball?
> >>Monty Python?
> >>
> >>Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to do
> >>whilst drinking beer? Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing
> >>without a cold one in hand.
> >>
> > Fishing.
> >
> >>Also, what is your favorite beer?
> >>
> > Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.
>
> Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is excellent, but isn't quite as good as
> Anchor Liberty Ale (also a pale ale) IMO. Ever had any Anchor Liberty
> Ale? If not, you should give it a try. It's *really* good!

Anchor makes a great porter too. Not to be passed up.

--

Ken Shabby
aa #1885

Etherman

Oct 25, 2001, 4:42:21 PM10/25/01

"Darwin" <jo...@NOSPAMlost-horizon.com> wrote in message

> There is nothing more satisfying than kicking back to a six pack of
> Coors Light

I thought this thread was supposed to be about beer?

> and watching...err...wrestling? football? baseball?
> Monty Python?
>
> Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to
do
> whilst drinking beer?

Eating pizza.

> Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing
> without a cold one in hand.

I can't name anything. I guess I'm not an alcoholic :-(

Though 99% of the time I have a drink in my hands I'll be at a club.

> Also, what is your favorite beer?

Oatmeal Stout, though the brand doesn't matter much.

--
Etherman

AA # pi

EAC Director of Ritual Satanic Abuse Operations

RAFC

"I know that I don't love you
And you cannot love me
But time and space collided
And here we are."
--Fates Warning

Mark Whickman

Oct 25, 2001, 4:52:12 PM10/25/01

> raven1 wrote:
>
> > On 25 Oct 2001 17:39:44 GMT, w...@cbemi.cb.lucent.com (Bill Thacker)
> > wrote:
> >

> > >Though there's also the story, perhaps apocryphal, that German customs
> > >authorities halted a shipment of Guinness Stout into Germany. The
> > >customs declaration described the shipment as "beer", and the German
> > >beer purity law defined beer as as substance containing only barley
> > >malt, hops, water (and yeast), so the additional ingredients in
> > >Guinness technically disqualified it. :-)
> >
> > I don't know of any other ingredients in Guinness. Sounds apocryphal
> > to me.
>
> Guiness has (or had) flaked, UNmalted barley which was technically not
> Reinheitsgebot.

Doesn't it have scorched malt in it as well?

Fred Stone

Oct 25, 2001, 4:57:11 PM10/25/01
Mark Whickman wrote:

Yeah. Roasted barley and roasted malt.
Plus tons of hops.
The "old style" Guiness had 3% soured beer added as well. Trade secret.

raven1

Oct 25, 2001, 8:13:27 PM10/25/01
On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 16:57:11 -0400, Fred Stone
<fsto...@earthling.com> wrote:

>Mark Whickman wrote:
>
>> Fred Stone <fsto...@earthling.com> wrote in message

>> > Guiness has (or had) flaked, UNmalted barley which was technically not
>> > Reinheitsgebot.
>> >
>> Doesn't it have scorched malt in it as well?
>
>Yeah. Roasted barley and roasted malt.

I don't see anything in the Reinheitsgebot that says you can't roast
the malt before adding it. Plenty of German beers do the same. Nor is
flaked malt an unknown ingredient in Deutschland. (While I admit I
don't know the original German, my understanding is that as long as
it's barley, hops, yeast or water, it's kosher).

>Plus tons of hops.
>The "old style" Guiness had 3% soured beer added as well. Trade secret.

Which I've used to good effect... ;-)

Dave W

Oct 25, 2001, 9:16:48 PM10/25/01
In article Darwin, jo...@NOSPAMlost-horizon.com mutters this little
jewel from the end barstool

> There is nothing more satisfying than kicking back to a six pack of
> Coors Light and watching...err...wrestling? football? baseball?
> Monty Python?
There is a microbrewery in nearby Riverside, Ca. called the Riverside
Brewing co. (oddly enough) that has an excellent stout. They often
come up with some really nice "seasonal beers".
They have no love for the domestics especially Coors (pronounced,
Currs, wince when you say it) They have a bell to ring whenever a
Coors is ordered. A deafening group jeer erupts.

> Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to do
> whilst drinking beer? Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing

> without a cold one in hand.
>
> Also, what is your favorite beer?
I am rather fond of stouts, I prefer Murphys to Guinness as far as
the commercially available stouts.
The Sierra Nevada brews seem to have a fan base here. I can't get
into them. There is a microbrewery in Laughlin Nv. called The Boiler
Room that (supposedly) has a former brewmaster from the Sierra Nevada
Brewery. My buddies that like that style really enjoyed their brews
(way more pungent than SNBC, IMO)

Has anybody else tried a Cave Creek Chili Beer? A light and bubbly
American style beer with a chili floating in it. Pretty good as far
as taste goes but the next day is pure punishment!!!

--
Dave W, Technician a.a.#1967
EAC Telecommunications Technical Services

Buckler

Oct 25, 2001, 10:00:05 PM10/25/01
wrote:

>There is nothing more satisfying than kicking back to a six pack of
>Coors Light and watching...err...wrestling? football? baseball?
>Monty Python?
>

>Just curious: what do you guys and gals think is the best thing to do
>whilst drinking beer? Name the one thing you cannot imagine doing
>without a cold one in hand.
>
>Also, what is your favorite beer?
>

>This is just idle curiousity, but please indulge me.

/me looks forlornly at his fermenter and racking tub.

Gotta make that list...new blowoff tube, gravity meter, fermentation
lock, carboy...I need to brew again.

Coors Light? Feh. I'll take a Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome Ale, or a
Lambic of almost any sort. I miss Berliner Weizen (with the raspberry
syrup, not the woodruff). Note to self: get granite chunks for
steinbier experiment...

As to activities? Pondering the Deep Stuff with good friends.

Buckler

raven1

Oct 25, 2001, 10:21:36 PM10/25/01
On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 01:16:48 GMT, Dave W <n...@nope.com> wrote:

>Has anybody else tried a Cave Creek Chili Beer?

The original was quite enjoyable; they seem to have cut down the heat
quite a bit after the second year of production or so. It's still a
good beer to have on a hot summer's day.

> A light and bubbly
>American style beer with a chili floating in it. Pretty good as far
>as taste goes but the next day is pure punishment!!!

Depends on how experienced with peppers one is... ;-)

Woden

Oct 25, 2001, 11:26:54 PM10/25/01
On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 19:34:39 +0100, "Mark Whickman" <mark.w...@ic.ac.uk>
wrote:

>Woden <wo...@charter.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 13:54:55 +0100, "Mark Whickman"
><mark.w...@ic.ac.uk>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >NM - Remove LALALALALA to email me <nicoLAL...@altiva.fr> wrote in
>> >message news:pan.2001.10.25.1...@altiva.fr...

>> >To quote Viz.
>> >"A glass of marmite topped with shaving foam makes a quite convincing
>pint
>> >of Guiness, and has the advantage of tasting nicer."
>> >

>> That doesn't say much for Viz's taste. I think I'll stick with the
>Guiness
>> or home brewed stout.
>>
>Most Guiness is semi chemical now, especially the exported stuff.

Which is one of the nice things about home brew.

Dave W

Oct 25, 2001, 11:29:55 PM10/25/01
In article raven1, psyched...@flashmail.com mutters this little
jewel from the end barstool
I usually have good luck with spicy stuff, but it seems that the
chili/beer combination had more than it share of wrath. I suppose
"everything in moderation"