Who Is Your Hero?

still...@yahoo.com

Jun 12, 2005, 6:06:11 PM6/12/05
First there was Andrew Lias's comment about how easy it is to create
saints, as people seem to like them. Then there was a viewing of
Spanglish (which is a wonderful movie) where the theme is a young
girl's rendition of why her mother is her most admired figure.

So I got to thinking about how us naked apes like heroes, like
exemplars of traits we find noble and worthwhile.

And then I got to thinking about how important it is, in a way, to
*have* heroes -- to have sources of inspiration to move us in better
directions, good examples, people to admire and strive to emulate.
Equally important, I suspect, is the reminder of them, and what they
stood for, and why it's worthy.

The first ones that come to mind for me are my grandparents. Hard
working, honest, frugal to the point of ridiculousness but generous to
a fault with their children and grandchildren -- and I'm *still*
running into people whose lives they impacted in profound and selfless
ways.

On a more famous level, I think Washington. Not because he was perfect
-- he wasn't, and it's clear he worked extremely hard to overcome his
flaws (like a volatile temper). But in the end, the arrogant gentleman
who showed up at the Continental Congress in full dress uniform, with a
rather unimpressive military record, declined either kingship or a
third term of office, in order that a fledgling experiment in
government might have a chance.

So -- who are your heroes?

Sunny

Message has been deleted

Robibnikoff

Jun 12, 2005, 7:25:15 PM6/12/05

<still...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Sorry, don't have any ;/
--
------
Robyn
Science doesn't burn people at the stake for disagreeing - Vic Sagerquist

dgillesp

Jun 12, 2005, 7:55:12 PM6/12/05

I would have to say Dietrich Bonhoeffer (1906-1945), his life, writings
and death have had the greatest impact on myself. The son of the first
professor of psychiatry in Germany (Univ. Berlin), Bonhoeffer came to
America to further his study in theology. (An incident reveals much
about the thrust of his theology when he quoted--to the delight of Karl
Barth, leader of the seminar--Martin Luther who wrote, "The curse of a
godless man can sound more pleasant in God's ears than the Hallelujah of
the pious.")

When the Nazis came to power in Germany, at age 26 Bonhoeffer became the
outspoken leader of the Confessing Church whose official stand was:
"Christ as our leader (feurer), not Hitler." He wrote, "Christians in
Germany face the terrible alternative of willing the defeat of their
nation in order that civilization may survive, or willing the victory of
their nation and thereby destroying civilization. I know which of these
alternatives I must choose."

He was called to take charge of an illegal underground seminary for the
training of young pastors in Pomerania. After a time he was prohibited
from any further writing and publishing. The underground seminary was
finally shut down by the Gestapo. Bonhoeffer with his sister Christel's
husband were already involved in a political conspiracy led by General
Beck and others to overthrow Hitler. Three attempts were made on
Hitler's life in 1943-44, but all failed. Bonhoeffer was arrested in
April 1943 for helping a small group of Jews escape to Switzerland, and
sent to Buchenwald concentration camp. As a political prisoner for the
next two years he secretly wrote his major work, "Ethics." Hitler
finally ordered annihilation of the conspirator group which included
Bonhoeffer. On April 9, 1945 he was hanged naked at Flossenburg
prison. It was only 21 days later, April 30th, that Hitler committed
suicide and on May 7 Germany surrendered. A famous quote from
Bonhoeffer's "Cost of Discipleship" was far more than a figure of speech
as it turned out for him: "When Christ calls a man, He calls him to
die."

Denny

Michelle Malkin

Jun 12, 2005, 8:18:59 PM6/12/05

<still...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Benjamin Franklin - he started from nothing and ended up
helping to found a nation, being an inventor and starting
the first library and fire departent in Philadelphia.

My personal heroes are my friends who are always there
when I need them.
--
^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^
Michelle Malkin (Mickey) aa list#1

Ted King

Jun 12, 2005, 10:16:15 PM6/12/05
In article <1118613971.1...@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"still...@yahoo.com" <still...@yahoo.com> wrote:

My heroes are everyone who has lost or directly endangered their lives
for the safety and freedom of others.

Ted

raven1

Jun 13, 2005, 12:14:25 AM6/13/05
On 12 Jun 2005 15:06:11 -0700, "still...@yahoo.com"
<still...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>So -- who are your heroes?

I don't have "Heroes" with a capital "H", but taking the lower-case
version to mean "people whom I particularly admire, and try to emulate
in some ways"...

The police and firefighters who charged into the WTC on 9/11 when
everyone else was desperately trying to get out. Of anyone on my list,
they are the ones most deserving of the title, along with everyone
else who goes to work each day knowing they may be asked to give their
own life to save another.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

John Lennon. (For those who may not be aware, Lennon's outspoken
radical political activism (such as interviewing members of the Black
Panther Party when he and Yoko co-hosted the Mike Douglas Show for a
week) brought him under intense government scrutiny, very nearly got
him deported from the US, and made him a lightning rod for controversy
at the expense of his musical career in the early 70s; J. Edgar Hoover
called him "the most dangerous man in America" at one point, and he
received frequent anonymous death threats).

Mahatma Gandhi.

George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, James
Madison, and several others of that particular group.

Ernesto "Che" Guevara.

Any of the unsung thousands who shed their blood and sweat for the
right of workers to unionize.

There's certainly others I can think of, but it's getting late.

---

"This is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause"
- Padme Amidala, Episode III

johac

Jun 13, 2005, 1:38:30 AM6/13/05

I have many heroes, that is people who IMHO did great things and
bettered the state of humanity. If I had to go with one on the political
side, I would go with Lincoln for holding the country together through
the greatest threat to it's existence that we have known so far.
--
John Hachmann aa #1782

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
-Voltaire

Graham Kennedy

Jun 13, 2005, 3:14:11 AM6/13/05

For public figures, there are many. In no particular order :

Stephen Hawking
Ellen MacArthur
Norman Borlaug
Carl Sagan
James Randi
Richard Dawkins
Winston Churchill

--
Graham Kennedy

Creator and Author,
Daystrom Institute Technical Library
http://www.ditl.org

Dubh Ghall

Jun 13, 2005, 5:27:22 AM6/13/05

Rincewind.

--
Puck Greenman
The spelling, Like any opinion stated here,
#162 BAAWA Knight.

Plonked by Rob Duncan

Na bister 500,000

Robibnikoff

Jun 13, 2005, 6:03:02 AM6/13/05

"Dubh Ghall" <pu...@pooks.hill.fey> wrote in message

> Rincewind.

LOL!!

Well, if you're going to go that route, then my hero would be Esme
Weatherwax :)

Barry Trotter

Jun 13, 2005, 7:03:31 AM6/13/05
In the great debate about "Who Is Your Hero?" in alt.atheism,
"still...@yahoo.com" <still...@yahoo.com> catapaulted the
following boulder:

>exemplars of traits we find noble and worthwhile.
Here's a sample:

Living:
Stephen Hawking
Richard Dawkins
Richard E Leakey
Benoīt B. Mandelbrot
Nelson Mandela
Arthur Scargill
Rodney Bickerstaffe
Dennis Skinner
Walid Jumblatt
Bruce Kent
Gary Younge
Roger McGough
Francesca Beard
Terry Pratchett
Tom Holt
Robert Rankin
Arthur C Clarke
Robert Wyatt
Billy Bragg
Mike Heron
Tom Petty
John Linnell and John Flansburgh
Derek Jacobi
Judi Dench
Samuel L Jackson
Dustin Hoffman
Johnny Wilkinson
Steve Harmisson
Harold 'Dickie' Bird
Shane Warne - I wish England had a leg break bowler like him.

Dead:
Galileo
Newton
Darwin
Einstein
Charles Babbage
Ada Lovelace
Bertrand Russell
Wat Tyler
Gerrard Winstanley
Oliver Cromwell, warts and all.
Karl Marx
J G Farrell
James Joyce
Henry Fielding
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Sergei Eisenstein
Paul Klee
Salvador Dali
Jackson Pollock
J M W Turner
Georges-Pierre Seurat
William Morris
Heath Robinson
Rowland Emmett
Florence Nightingale, 19th century mathematician
John Napier

David Silverman F.L.A.H.N. aa #2208

Barry Trotter

Jun 13, 2005, 7:15:36 AM6/13/05
In the great debate about "Re: Who Is Your Hero?" in alt.atheism,
Barry Trotter <tro...@hogwash.ac.uk> catapaulted the following
boulder:

Some decomposers:

Ludwig Van Beethoven
Igor Stravinsky
John Lennon
Frank Zappa
Charlie Parker
Robert Johnson
Domenico Scarlatti

Barry Trotter

Jun 13, 2005, 7:21:04 AM6/13/05
In the great debate about "Re: Who Is Your Hero?" in alt.atheism,
"Robibnikoff" <witc...@broomstick.com> catapaulted the following
boulder:

>"Dubh Ghall" <pu...@pooks.hill.fey> wrote in message
>>
>> Rincewind.
>
>LOL!!
>
>Well, if you're going to go that route, then my hero would be Esme
>Weatherwax :)
OK, Death.

Dubh Ghall

Jun 13, 2005, 7:22:24 AM6/13/05
On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 06:03:02 -0400, "Robibnikoff" <witc...@broomstick.com>
wrote:

>"Dubh Ghall" <pu...@pooks.hill.fey> wrote in message
>>
>> Rincewind.
>
>LOL!!
>
>Well, if you're going to go that route, then my hero would be Esme
>Weatherwax :)

Yes, I can see how you would be drawn to her, a lady who uses her head, and
everybody else's, too. (:-)

still...@yahoo.com

Jun 13, 2005, 8:25:18 AM6/13/05

Robibnikoff wrote:
> <still...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

<snip>

> > So -- who are your heroes?
>
> Sorry, don't have any ;/

What? No one you admire for their wit, bravery, honesty, selflessness,
integrity, brilliance, daring, etc?

Okay, then.

Which male movie star has the cutest butt?

Sunny

Robibnikoff

Jun 13, 2005, 9:16:27 AM6/13/05

> Robibnikoff wrote:
> > <still...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> <snip>
>
> > > So -- who are your heroes?
> >
> > Sorry, don't have any ;/
>
> What? No one you admire for their wit, bravery, honesty, selflessness,
> integrity, brilliance, daring, etc?

I suppose so, but I guess I never thought of them as being a "hero".

> Okay, then.
>
> Which male movie star has the cutest butt?

Brad Pitt! :)

Robibnikoff

Jun 13, 2005, 9:17:32 AM6/13/05

> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 06:03:02 -0400, "Robibnikoff"
<witc...@broomstick.com>
> wrote:
>

> >"Dubh Ghall" <pu...@pooks.hill.fey> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Rincewind.
> >
> >LOL!!
> >
> >Well, if you're going to go that route, then my hero would be Esme
> >Weatherwax :)
>

> Yes, I can see how you would be drawn to her, a lady who uses her head,
and
> everybody else's, too. (:-)

Exactly! <cackle!> (Not that Granny Weatherwax would ever "cackle") :)

Andrew Lias

Jun 13, 2005, 9:32:38 AM6/13/05
still...@yahoo.com wrote:
> So -- who are your heroes?

The problem with naming heroes is that someone will invariably come
along and point out that whoever you've named had flaws. Consider my
choice: Thomas Jefferson. Here was a man who preached freedom and yet
owned slaves. A man who preached honor who, never the less, apparently
took advantage of at least one of his slaves (which also represents a
violation of his marital commitments).

In plain and simple terms, the man was a hypocrit. And yet, as a
shaper for the ideals that helped guide this country, a critical
figure. A brilliant man who, I think, genuinely believed in those
lofty ideals even if he, himself, didn't live up to them.

Like Jefferson, it can be argued that America has never really lived up
to its ideas; however, I think that America has been best when it has
strived to do so. I think that Jefferson's contribution to that
essential image of what America *ought* to be has been a critical force
in our image of ourselves.

By the by, have you been watching this Discovery special on The
Greatest American? The choices were the result of an online poll and,
I must say, it's a depressing list. Pop stars and celebrities seem to
make up the bulk of it.

--
Andrew Lias
http://andrewlias.blogspot

LisaKay

Jun 13, 2005, 10:17:09 AM6/13/05

Besides my parents for being great role models...

Thomas Jefferson
George Washington
Frederick Douglass
Galileo Galilei
Robert Green Ingersoll

I'm sure I'm forgetting some great ones...
-LisaKay
aa #2054
> Sunny

Dubh Ghall

Jun 13, 2005, 11:24:06 AM6/13/05
On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 09:17:32 -0400, "Robibnikoff" <witc...@broomstick.com>
wrote:

>"Dubh Ghall" <pu...@pooks.hill.fey> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 06:03:02 -0400, "Robibnikoff"
><witc...@broomstick.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >"Dubh Ghall" <pu...@pooks.hill.fey> wrote in message

>> >LOL!!
>> >
>> >Well, if you're going to go that route, then my hero would be Esme
>> >Weatherwax :)
>>

>> Yes, I can see how you would be drawn to her, a lady who uses her head,
>and
>> everybody else's, too. (:-)
>
>Exactly! <cackle!> (Not that Granny Weatherwax would ever "cackle") :)

Well she has "views" about such things; doesn't she.

Jon.

Jun 13, 2005, 3:35:55 PM6/13/05

Douglas Adams. Pointed out the foibles and ridicularities (new word?)
of humanity with humour and grace.

Jon.
aa #703

kathryn

Jun 13, 2005, 3:53:29 PM6/13/05

"Robibnikoff" <witc...@broomstick.com> wrote in message

> <still...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>

>> Robibnikoff wrote:
>> > <still...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> <snip>

>> > Sorry, don't have any ;/
>>
>> What? No one you admire for their wit, bravery, honesty, selflessness,
>> integrity, brilliance, daring, etc?
>
> I suppose so, but I guess I never thought of them as being a "hero".
>
>> Okay, then.
>>
>> Which male movie star has the cutest butt?
>
> Brad Pitt! :)
> --
> ------
> Robyn
> Resident Witchypoo

Yum :)

kathryn

Jun 13, 2005, 3:54:35 PM6/13/05

> "Dubh Ghall" <pu...@pooks.hill.fey> wrote in message
>>
>> Rincewind.
>
> LOL!!
>
> Well, if you're going to go that route, then my hero would be Esme
> Weatherwax :)
> --
> ------
> Robyn

OOh that's a good one

Or Susan :)
I like Susan!

kathryn

Jun 13, 2005, 3:55:56 PM6/13/05

> So -- who are your heroes?
>
> Sunny

The suffragettes? Beaten, imprisoned, raped, killed, all so I could have
the right to go put an x on a bit of paper once in a while.

Robibnikoff

Jun 13, 2005, 4:05:05 PM6/13/05

"kathryn" <nos...@here.com> wrote in message

Death's granddaughter, correct?

Yes, definitely another good choice.

That and the, ahem, "soldiers" from "Monstrous Regiment" ;)

Robibnikoff

Jun 13, 2005, 4:06:07 PM6/13/05

"kathryn" <nos...@here.com> wrote in message

Goodness, why didn't I think of that. My great-grandmother was a
suffragette and my grandmother remembered marching in suffragette parades as
a very young girl.

Tapio Erola

Jun 13, 2005, 4:24:28 PM6/13/05
"still...@yahoo.com" <still...@yahoo.com> writes:

> So -- who are your heroes?

(Note: In no particular order)

Risto H. Ryti - A Politician who sacrificed his ass for the
sake of my country: A Rare thing indeed!

Arnold A. Schwarzenegger - Man who starts as a dirt-poor immigrant
to become a bodybuilder, actor and governor.

Ronald W. Reagan - Hammered the final nail in coffin of USSR.

Thomas Jefferson et al. - Created one of the more enduring and just
pieces of basic legislation.

Alan M. Turing - Father of Computer Science

--
Tapio Erola

Complexity is grown from simple systems that already work.

maff

Jun 13, 2005, 5:20:33 PM6/13/05

Letter to George Washington
http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/~econ/ugcm/3ll3/paine/Volume9/176-237%20Letter%20to%20George%20Washington.rtf

> So -- who are your heroes?

Albert Einstein , Hypatia of Alexandria, Alexander von Humboldt,
Thomas Paine, Rabindranath Tagore.

> Sunny

raven1

Jun 13, 2005, 7:42:59 PM6/13/05
On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 07:14:11 GMT, Graham Kennedy <gra...@ditl.org>
wrote:

>For public figures, there are many. In no particular order :
>
>Stephen Hawking
>Ellen MacArthur
>Norman Borlaug
>Carl Sagan
>James Randi
>Richard Dawkins
>Winston Churchill

I've never heard of 2 and 3. Any links?

Michelle Malkin

Jun 13, 2005, 8:44:31 PM6/13/05

"kathryn" <nos...@here.com> wrote in message

> "Robibnikoff" <witc...@broomstick.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Dubh Ghall" <pu...@pooks.hill.fey> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Rincewind.
> >
> > LOL!!
> >
> > Well, if you're going to go that route, then my hero would be Esme
> > Weatherwax :)

I kind of like Death of Rats myself.
--
^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^
Michelle Malkin (Mickey) aa list#1
alt.atheism atheist/agnostic list name collector
BAAWA Knight & EAC Bible thumper thumper
http://questioner.www2.50megs.com
^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^

still...@yahoo.com

Jun 13, 2005, 9:48:24 PM6/13/05

> Yum :)

Ladies, I think we have consensus :-)

Sunny

still...@yahoo.com

Jun 13, 2005, 10:03:19 PM6/13/05

Andrew Lias wrote:
> still...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > So -- who are your heroes?
>
> The problem with naming heroes is that someone will invariably come
> along and point out that whoever you've named had flaws. Consider my
> choice: Thomas Jefferson. Here was a man who preached freedom and yet
> owned slaves. A man who preached honor who, never the less, apparently
> took advantage of at least one of his slaves (which also represents a
> violation of his marital commitments).
>
> In plain and simple terms, the man was a hypocrit. And yet, as a
> shaper for the ideals that helped guide this country, a critical
> figure. A brilliant man who, I think, genuinely believed in those
> lofty ideals even if he, himself, didn't live up to them.
>
> Like Jefferson, it can be argued that America has never really lived up
> to its ideas; however, I think that America has been best when it has
> strived to do so. I think that Jefferson's contribution to that
> essential image of what America *ought* to be has been a critical force
> in our image of ourselves.

Brilliantly put.
I was thinking the other day about war footage from WWII, the upbeat
narratives accompanied by stirring music. And recalling a documentary
I watched on Britain during the blitz, when people said that, despite
the odds (and the nearly unanimous consensus that Hitler was going to
destroy them), Churchhill made people *believe* they were going to
prevail -- which was ultimately necessary, I think, to them actually
doing so.

Most people lauded as heroes have huge flaws as well. It seems to me
we've shifted from whitewashing or ignoring the flaws -- and the
lessons they have for all of us -- to denigrating anyone held as
praiseworthy by focusing only on their faults, as if the faults somehow
negated any of the good.

Somehow, that seems as detrimental as the Pollyanna approach, if not
more so. I like the notion of heroes. I find people worth emulating
almost necessary for a healthy society. And if they have flaws --
well, it's just sort of a way of both recognizing that one doesn't have
to be perfect to accomplish something worthwhile, and an object lesson
in some of the pitfalls the greats are historically heir to.

> By the by, have you been watching this Discovery special on The
> Greatest American? The choices were the result of an online poll and,
> I must say, it's a depressing list. Pop stars and celebrities seem to
> make up the bulk of it.

We don't have commercial television, remember?
But I'm not surprised, although I am depressed.
There was some little blip on Russell Crowe in the news, talking about
the characters he'd played of men who contributed vastly more to
society than he ever will -- and who most of us wouldn't ever even have
heard of if he hadn't played them on the silver screen.

Sunny

Khartoum

Jun 13, 2005, 10:04:58 PM6/13/05
"Robibnikoff" <witc...@broomstick.com> wrote in news:3h53uiFfa8o8U1
@individual.net:

> "Dubh Ghall" <pu...@pooks.hill.fey> wrote in message
>>
>> Rincewind.
>
> LOL!!
>
> Well, if you're going to go that route, then my hero would be Esme
> Weatherwax :)

Librarian. OOk!

Khartoum aa#2110
EAC Director of Subversive Horticulture

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without
having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
~Douglas Adams

Kate

Jun 13, 2005, 10:11:02 PM6/13/05
On 13 Jun 2005 18:48:24 -0700, "still...@yahoo.com"
<still...@yahoo.com> wrote:

More importantly - do you have pictures?

still...@yahoo.com

Jun 13, 2005, 10:11:21 PM6/13/05

raven1 wrote:
> On 12 Jun 2005 15:06:11 -0700, "still...@yahoo.com"

> <still...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >So -- who are your heroes?
>

> I don't have "Heroes" with a capital "H", but taking the lower-case
> version to mean "people whom I particularly admire, and try to emulate
> in some ways"...
>
> The police and firefighters who charged into the WTC on 9/11 when
> everyone else was desperately trying to get out. Of anyone on my list,
> they are the ones most deserving of the title, along with everyone
> else who goes to work each day knowing they may be asked to give their
> own life to save another.
>
> Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
>
> John Lennon. (For those who may not be aware, Lennon's outspoken
> radical political activism (such as interviewing members of the Black
> Panther Party when he and Yoko co-hosted the Mike Douglas Show for a
> week) brought him under intense government scrutiny, very nearly got
> him deported from the US, and made him a lightning rod for controversy
> at the expense of his musical career in the early 70s; J. Edgar Hoover
> called him "the most dangerous man in America" at one point, and he
> received frequent anonymous death threats).
>
> Mahatma Gandhi.
>
> George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, James
> Madison, and several others of that particular group.
>
> Ernesto "Che" Guevara.
>
> Any of the unsung thousands who shed their blood and sweat for the
> right of workers to unionize.
>
> There's certainly others I can think of, but it's getting late.

I agree with you about most of these, have some hesitation about Lennon
(given some recent reading about him funding the IRA) and am intensely
curious about Guevara. All I really know about him was that he was
sent by Castro to foment revolution somewhere *other* than Cuba (to get
him out of the way) and, as I recall, assassinated by Castro as a
possible rival.

What is wonderful about him?
(I'm genuinely curious and woefully ignorant; it's not the first time
you've mentioned him favorably)

Sunny

Robibnikoff

Jun 13, 2005, 10:13:09 PM6/13/05

"Khartoum" <Khartou...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Robibnikoff" <witc...@broomstick.com> wrote in news:3h53uiFfa8o8U1
> @individual.net:
>

>> "Dubh Ghall" <pu...@pooks.hill.fey> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Rincewind.
>>
>> LOL!!
>>
>> Well, if you're going to go that route, then my hero would be Esme
>> Weatherwax :)
>
> Librarian. OOk!

Just don't call him a monkey!

I've always been quite fond of the Bursar, but I don't think he's really
"hero" material ;)

Robibnikoff

Jun 13, 2005, 10:13:43 PM6/13/05

"Kate " <cob...@newscene.com> wrote in message

Oh my. Did it just get warm in here? ;)

--
------
Robyn

Khartoum

Jun 13, 2005, 10:28:28 PM6/13/05

> "Khartoum" <Khartou...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> "Robibnikoff" <witc...@broomstick.com> wrote in news:3h53uiFfa8o8U1
>> @individual.net:
>>

>>> "Dubh Ghall" <pu...@pooks.hill.fey> wrote in message

>>> LOL!!
>>>
>>> Well, if you're going to go that route, then my hero would be Esme
>>> Weatherwax :)
>>
>> Librarian. OOk!
>
> Just don't call him a monkey!
>
> I've always been quite fond of the Bursar, but I don't think he's
> really "hero" material ;)

He could me my hero if he gives Duke some dried frog pills.

still...@yahoo.com

Jun 13, 2005, 10:35:23 PM6/13/05

Ted King wrote:
> In article <1118613971.1...@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> "still...@yahoo.com" <still...@yahoo.com> wrote:

<snip>

> > So -- who are your heroes?
> >

> > Sunny
>
> My heroes are everyone who has lost or directly endangered their lives
> for the safety and freedom of others.

You are such a wonderful egalitarian.
The nice thing is, you're included in that -- and doubly so, as a warm
and dedicated teacher :-)

Sunny

who lists great teachers high on her list of heroes

Fred Stone

Jun 13, 2005, 11:16:20 PM6/13/05
"still...@yahoo.com" <still...@yahoo.com> wrote in

Nothing. He was a cold-blooded murderer and rapist who took a personal
interest in torturing and executing "counterrevolutionaries".

http://www.explore-biography.com/political_figures/C/Che_Guevara.html

--
Fred Stone
aa# 1369

still...@yahoo.com

Jun 13, 2005, 11:24:52 PM6/13/05

still...@yahoo.com

Jun 13, 2005, 11:46:49 PM6/13/05

Jon. wrote:
> still...@yahoo.com wrote:
<snip>

> > So -- who are your heroes?
>
> Douglas Adams. Pointed out the foibles and ridicularities (new word?)
> of humanity with humour and grace.

And, it seems to me, with an underlying true affection for this loony
species.

Sunny

Kate

Jun 14, 2005, 12:22:06 AM6/14/05
On 13 Jun 2005 20:24:52 -0700, "still...@yahoo.com"
<still...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Oh honey, you have more than a consensus. You have a standing
ovation.

whew!

Richo

Jun 14, 2005, 12:41:28 AM6/14/05

still...@yahoo.com wrote:
> First there was Andrew Lias's comment about how easy it is to create
> saints, as people seem to like them. Then there was a viewing of
> Spanglish (which is a wonderful movie) where the theme is a young
> girl's rendition of why her mother is her most admired figure.
>
> So I got to thinking about how us naked apes like heroes, like
> exemplars of traits we find noble and worthwhile.
>
> And then I got to thinking about how important it is, in a way, to
> *have* heroes -- to have sources of inspiration to move us in better
> directions, good examples, people to admire and strive to emulate.
> Equally important, I suspect, is the reminder of them, and what they
> stood for, and why it's worthy.
>
> The first ones that come to mind for me are my grandparents. Hard
> working, honest, frugal to the point of ridiculousness but generous to
> a fault with their children and grandchildren -- and I'm *still*
> running into people whose lives they impacted in profound and selfless
> ways.
>
> On a more famous level, I think Washington. Not because he was perfect
> -- he wasn't, and it's clear he worked extremely hard to overcome his
> flaws (like a volatile temper). But in the end, the arrogant gentleman
> who showed up at the Continental Congress in full dress uniform, with a
> rather unimpressive military record, declined either kingship or a
> third term of office, in order that a fledgling experiment in
> government might have a chance.
>

> So -- who are your heroes?

That's easy.
Sunny Fry!
For being "sweet and funny and kind even under heavy enemy fire"
8-)

I remember being asked this at primary (elementary)school - the teacher
says "Everyone has heros- write something about yours"
And of course I immeadiately realized I wasn't consious of having *any*
heros and thought "Great - yet another way in which I am freekishly
differnt from the rest of the human race - thank's a bunch teach!"

Everyone else was putting forward their favourite football or cricket
player or some pop star or movie star. yuck!

I think I eventually came up with "Albert Einstein".
I am not sure how much I actually knew about him then.
I knew he was very clever and admired for being very clever - which i
thought was infinitely better than being admired for being handsome or
clever with balls.
As I grew up I read and learned more about him and realised he was a
pretty good choice - brilliant, funny and concerned for the wellfare of
the human race .
Of course I also learned of his failings.

I still have some trouble with the idea of heros.
I do admire many people - from Nelson Mandela to David Attenborough.

It's good to see the good in people - it's healthy.
But there is a "dark side" to hero worship.
People will resist being critical of a hero - of seeing their faults.

I think this is very much related to my atheism - a kind of skepticism.
I can see the faults in other peoples gods.

I admire people who are inteligent, kind and brave.
In other words - I adnmire peoples "virtues" - which is a very old
fashioned idea.
No person is purely virtuous - but when we see virtue in someone we
should take note and praise it.

Mark.

ls...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

Jun 14, 2005, 12:53:24 AM6/14/05
Why the hell won't Google let me respond to the post instead of this
damn
reply at the end optioin? Oh well here goes.

Arnold A. Schwarzenegger, muscles (image) are more
important than brains(substance).

Ronald W. Reagan - Helped Osama Bin Laden hammer

kathryn

Jun 14, 2005, 2:08:53 AM6/14/05

<still...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

OOh now you're my hero! :)

kathryn

Jun 14, 2005, 2:08:37 AM6/14/05

> "kathryn" <nos...@here.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Robibnikoff" <witc...@broomstick.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Dubh Ghall" <pu...@pooks.hill.fey> wrote in message

>> > LOL!!
>> >
>> > Well, if you're going to go that route, then my hero would be Esme
>> > Weatherwax :)
>> > --
>> > ------
>> > Robyn
>>

>> OOh that's a good one
>>
>> Or Susan :)
>> I like Susan!
>
> Death's granddaughter, correct?
>
> Yes, definitely another good choice.
>
> That and the, ahem, "soldiers" from "Monstrous Regiment" ;)
> --
> ------
> Robyn

Tsk they're still soliders ;)

me

Jun 14, 2005, 5:30:36 AM6/14/05

Joss Stone

The amazing being on planet Earth

When she gets a bit older the leaders of the world should gather and listen to what she
has to say.

She's not just a singer - she has a MIND that, given the opportunity, has the ability to
enthuse the consciousness of the masses with a perception of reality that is truly
transcendental.

Graham Kennedy

Jun 14, 2005, 5:52:19 AM6/14/05
raven1 wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 07:14:11 GMT, Graham Kennedy <gra...@ditl.org>
> wrote:
>

>>For public figures, there are many. In no particular order :
>>
>>Stephen Hawking
>>Ellen MacArthur
>>Norman Borlaug
>>Carl Sagan
>>James Randi
>>Richard Dawkins
>>Winston Churchill
>

> I've never heard of 2 and 3. Any links?

Ellen MacArthur is a yachtswoman. She's only in her early
twenties, but she's been breaking world records in solo
sailing since she was a teenager.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellen_MacArthur

Norman Borlaug is perhaps the most under-recognised
person in Human history. He develops new high yield
types of crops and adapts them to live in harsh
environments, and helps educate farmers in how to grow
them - in India and Pakistan he achieved a 600% increase
in crop yields. It's been estimated that his work has saved
upwards of a *billion* lives worldwide. Remember all those
"population bomb" folk who predicted that half the world
would be starving to death? Norman Borlaug is one if the
reasons that they were proved wrong.

http://www.abetterearth.org/subcategory.php/175.html

--
Graham Kennedy

Creator and Author,
Daystrom Institute Technical Library
http://www.ditl.org

Siobhan Burke

Jun 14, 2005, 6:53:18 AM6/14/05
In article <roWdndYbQoX...@comcast.com>, hypatiab7
@comcast.net says...

> "kathryn" <nos...@here.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Robibnikoff" <witc...@broomstick.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Dubh Ghall" <pu...@pooks.hill.fey> wrote in message

> > > LOL!!
> > >
> > > Well, if you're going to go that route, then my hero would be Esme
> > > Weatherwax :)
>
> I kind of like Death of Rats myself.

Ah, in that case, His Grace, His Excellency, the Duke of Ankh-
Morpork, Commander Sir Samuel Vimes, for me. :)
--
Siobhan - a.a. #2201

siobha...@CARRIERatt.net
Drop CARRIER to email

"But as a general rule, when things look bad there's always some
dickhead who can make them worse." -- Terry Pratchett

Robibnikoff

Jun 14, 2005, 8:56:01 AM6/14/05

"Siobhan Burke" <siobha...@CARRIERatt.net> wrote in message

> In article <roWdndYbQoX...@comcast.com>, hypatiab7
> @comcast.net says...
> >
> > "kathryn" <nos...@here.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Robibnikoff" <witc...@broomstick.com> wrote in message

> > I kind of like Death of Rats myself.
>
> Ah, in that case, His Grace, His Excellency, the Duke of Ankh-
> Morpork, Commander Sir Samuel Vimes, for me. :)

I've always been fond of Havelock Vetinari (which should come as a surprise
to no one) ;)

Robibnikoff

Jun 14, 2005, 8:58:48 AM6/14/05

"kathryn" <nos...@here.com> wrote in message

True, but, you know <wink, wink> :)

Robibnikoff

Jun 14, 2005, 8:57:55 AM6/14/05

"kathryn" <nos...@here.com> wrote in message

LOL! :)

Robibnikoff

Jun 14, 2005, 8:57:31 AM6/14/05

<still...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Whhhhhoooop!

Well, that's a nice way to start the day :D

Robibnikoff

Jun 14, 2005, 9:00:36 AM6/14/05

"me" <he...@now.com> wrote in message

Don't get me wrong, I think her singing is fantastic, but after reading the
liner notes on that soul CD where she did all the covers, it was pretty
obvious that she was your average 16-year-old.

LisaKay

Jun 14, 2005, 10:52:57 AM6/14/05

ls...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu wrote:
> Why the hell won't Google let me respond to the post instead of this
> damn
> reply at the end optioin? Oh well here goes.

Click "Options" and then click the "Reply" in the bottom left of the
header.

Jon.

Jun 14, 2005, 2:54:14 PM6/14/05

Absolutely. That's what made the incisive criticism bearable.

Jon.

LisaKay

Jun 14, 2005, 4:05:12 PM6/14/05

Wow! The ads on the right hand side of the page are enough to look at,
but (butt) that's one nice pic of Brad! :-)

-LisaKay
aa #2054

LisaKay

Jun 14, 2005, 4:11:19 PM6/14/05

> Letter to George Washington
> http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/~econ/ugcm/3ll3/paine/Volume9/176-237%20Letter%20to%20George%20Washington.rtf

> > So -- who are your heroes?
>

> Albert Einstein , Hypatia of Alexandria, Alexander von Humboldt,
> Thomas Paine, Rabindranath Tagore.
>

> > Sunny

Oh my! How did I forget Thomas Paine?!?!

still...@yahoo.com

Jun 15, 2005, 12:20:39 AM6/15/05

Richo wrote:
> still...@yahoo.com wrote:
<snip>

> > So -- who are your heroes?
> >

> That's easy.
> Sunny Fry!
> For being "sweet and funny and kind even under heavy enemy fire"
> 8-)

Flattery will get you everywhere!
(said the happy married mom to the happy married dad halfway round the
world down under...)

> I remember being asked this at primary (elementary)school - the teacher
> says "Everyone has heros- write something about yours"
> And of course I immeadiately realized I wasn't consious of having *any*
> heros and thought "Great - yet another way in which I am freekishly
> differnt from the rest of the human race - thank's a bunch teach!"
>
> Everyone else was putting forward their favourite football or cricket
> player or some pop star or movie star. yuck!
>
> I think I eventually came up with "Albert Einstein".
> I am not sure how much I actually knew about him then.
> I knew he was very clever and admired for being very clever - which i
> thought was infinitely better than being admired for being handsome or
> clever with balls.
> As I grew up I read and learned more about him and realised he was a
> pretty good choice - brilliant, funny and concerned for the wellfare of
> the human race .
> Of course I also learned of his failings.

Failings?
(I assume you're talking about his chronic hair comb dysfunction...)

> I still have some trouble with the idea of heros.
> I do admire many people - from Nelson Mandela to David Attenborough.
>
> It's good to see the good in people - it's healthy.
> But there is a "dark side" to hero worship.
> People will resist being critical of a hero - of seeing their faults.
>
> I think this is very much related to my atheism - a kind of skepticism.
> I can see the faults in other peoples gods.
>
> I admire people who are inteligent, kind and brave.
> In other words - I adnmire peoples "virtues" - which is a very old
> fashioned idea.
> No person is purely virtuous - but when we see virtue in someone we
> should take note and praise it.

I agree with you. I don't think there's enough of that, but maybe too
much of the other hero-worship sort of thing.

It's good to see you, and your comments are thoughtful as usual.

Sunny

Siobhan Burke

Jun 15, 2005, 6:53:37 AM6/15/05
In article <3h82fnF...@individual.net>,
witc...@broomstick.com says...

> "Siobhan Burke" <siobha...@CARRIERatt.net> wrote in message
> > In article <roWdndYbQoX...@comcast.com>, hypatiab7
> > @comcast.net says...
> > >
> > > "kathryn" <nos...@here.com> wrote in message

> > > I kind of like Death of Rats myself.
> >
> > Ah, in that case, His Grace, His Excellency, the Duke of Ankh-
> > Morpork, Commander Sir Samuel Vimes, for me. :)
>
> I've always been fond of Havelock Vetinari (which should come as a surprise
> to no one) ;)

I'd say that Vetinari was my second choice, behind Vimes,
except that having Vetinari behind him would make Vimes sooo
nervous. :) I've heard that the new Watch book has a vampire
joining the watch--I do so hope that it's Maladict!

Tapio Erola

Jun 15, 2005, 7:09:30 AM6/15/05
ls...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

> Arnold A. Schwarzenegger, muscles (image) are more
> important than brains(substance).

Using image is an important part of being a politician and
Mr. Schwarzenegger isn't lacking in the brains department either.

It's *because* of his brains and substance, combined with his
muscles (image), that entrenched special interests are screaming: he's
threatening to limit the through they are hogging (and incidentally
leeching California dry).

> Ronald W. Reagan - Helped Osama Bin Laden hammer
> the final nail in coffin of USSR.

Some naughty people employed by Reagan administration to end USSR
occupation in Afghanistan went later to do more naughty stuff?
Former allies turn enemies? Well, Shit Happens.

--
Tapio Erola

Complexity is grown from simple systems that already work.

Robibnikoff

Jun 15, 2005, 10:22:15 AM6/15/05

"Siobhan Burke" <siobha...@CARRIERatt.net> wrote in message

Hoowhee! That would be fun. I just bought "The Wee Free Men" (though I
haven't started reading it yet) and "Going Postal" is on its way from
Amazon. Huzzah! ;)

ls...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

Jun 15, 2005, 10:54:42 AM6/15/05

Tapio Erola wrote:
> ls...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>
> > Arnold A. Schwarzenegger, muscles (image) are more
> > important than brains(substance).
>
> Using image is an important part of being a politician and
> Mr. Schwarzenegger isn't lacking in the brains department either.
>
> It's *because* of his brains and substance, combined with his
> muscles (image), that entrenched special interests are screaming: he's
> threatening to limit the through they are hogging (and incidentally
> leeching California dry).

I liked Schwarzenegger as an actor, as far as body building
goes, it is boring. Schwarzenegger had a good looks, a good body,
intelligence, tremendus ambition and he had good luck. He succeded
because of all these factors. He used what he was given. Most
people would be far better of going to colleage and learining how
to use there intelligence, Schwarzenegger did not do that,
he is all image.

> > Ronald W. Reagan - Helped Osama Bin Laden hammer
> > the final nail in coffin of USSR.
>
> Some naughty people employed by Reagan administration to end USSR
> occupation in Afghanistan went later to do more naughty stuff?
> Former allies turn enemies? Well, Shit Happens.

Yeah and Reagan created a lot of it. The old cold war
strategy of backing anyone except communists created a
lot of monsters, the Khamer Rouge perhaps was the worst.
The communists however did not attack us, the mess we created
fighting them did.

Larry

Ted King

Jun 15, 2005, 11:41:58 AM6/15/05
"still...@yahoo.com" <still...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ted King wrote:
> > In article <1118613971.1...@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,

> > "still...@yahoo.com" <still...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > > So -- who are your heroes?
> > >

> > > Sunny
> >
> > My heroes are everyone who has lost or directly endangered their lives
> > for the safety and freedom of others.
>
> You are such a wonderful egalitarian.
> The nice thing is, you're included in that -- and doubly so, as a warm
> and dedicated teacher :-)
>
> Sunny
>
> who lists great teachers high on her list of heroes

Well, teaching adolescents can be hazardous to ones mental health, but
it isn't all that dangerous (except for a few places where the kids are
particularly menacing - fortunately I'm not in that situation).

Ted

magilla

Jun 15, 2005, 12:13:51 PM6/15/05

still...@yahoo.com wrote:

snip

> So -- who are your heroes?
>
> Sunny

Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Rachel Carson.

Edward Jenner.

Jonas Salk.

My daughter, who got me to quit smoking.

Kevin Anthoney

Jun 15, 2005, 2:35:56 PM6/15/05
Siobhan Burke wrote:

> In article <roWdndYbQoX...@comcast.com>, hypatiab7
> @comcast.net says...
>>
>> "kathryn" <nos...@here.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Robibnikoff" <witc...@broomstick.com> wrote in message

>> I kind of like Death of Rats myself.
>
> Ah, in that case, His Grace, His Excellency, the Duke of Ankh-
> Morpork, Commander Sir Samuel Vimes, for me. :)

Didactylos!

Or, for this group, "Charcoal" Abraxas.

--
Kevin Anthoney
kanthoney[a]dsl.pipex.com

ls...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

Jun 15, 2005, 3:39:37 PM6/15/05

LisaKay wrote:
> ls...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu wrote:
> > Why the hell won't Google let me respond to the post instead of this
> > damn
> > reply at the end optioin? Oh well here goes.
>
> Click "Options" and then click the "Reply" in the bottom left of the
> header.

It works! thank you LisaKay,
I have got groups back.

Larry

Khartoum

Jun 15, 2005, 4:21:47 PM6/15/05
"Robibnikoff" <witc...@broomstick.com> wrote in news:3hartdFg68mkU1
@individual.net:

Wee Free Men and Hat full of Sky are two of my favorites. The witchling
should be getting close in age to reading them. I will have to wait a few
more years until my oldest is ready (she just turned 6)

Khartoum aa#2110
EAC Director of Subversive Horticulture

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without
having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
~Douglas Adams

Robibnikoff

Jun 15, 2005, 4:28:23 PM6/15/05

> "Robibnikoff" <witc...@broomstick.com> wrote in news:3hartdFg68mkU1
> @individual.net:

snip

> > Hoowhee! That would be fun. I just bought "The Wee Free Men" (though I
> > haven't started reading it yet) and "Going Postal" is on its way from
> > Amazon. Huzzah! ;)
>
> Wee Free Men and Hat full of Sky are two of my favorites. The witchling
> should be getting close in age to reading them. I will have to wait a few
> more years until my oldest is ready (she just turned 6)

Hmmm, I've been a big Pratchett fan since coming across "Lords and Ladies"
in a book store in Cork City while on my honeymoon, but I have to say that
"Hat Full of Sky" is probably one of my least favorite books. Can't really
put my finger on why I didn't like it either.

My daughter's only a year older than yours, so while she's an excellent
reader, I don't think she's quite ready to start on PTerry's books :)

skyeyes

Jun 15, 2005, 4:33:14 PM6/15/05
still...@yahoo.com wrote:

<Snip>

> So -- who are your heroes?

Raul Wallenberg. My father, Glen Nelson. My Honey, who prefers to
remain nameless on Usenet (he's a Viet Nam vet, and hates having the
word "hero" applied to him).

Brenda Nelson, A.A.#34
EAC Professor of Feline Thermometrics and Cat-Herding

Robibnikoff

Jun 15, 2005, 5:25:25 PM6/15/05

"Kevin Anthoney" <kevin_a...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Robibnikoff wrote:
>

>> "Khartoum" <Khartou...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> "Robibnikoff" <witc...@broomstick.com> wrote in news:3hartdFg68mkU1
>>> @individual.net:
>>
>> snip
>>>
>>> Wee Free Men and Hat full of Sky are two of my favorites. The witchling
>>> should be getting close in age to reading them. I will have to wait a
>>> few
>>> more years until my oldest is ready (she just turned 6)
>>
>> Hmmm, I've been a big Pratchett fan since coming across "Lords and
>> Ladies"
>> in a book store in Cork City while on my honeymoon, but I have to say
>> that
>> "Hat Full of Sky" is probably one of my least favorite books. Can't
>> really put my finger on why I didn't like it either.
>>
>> My daughter's only a year older than yours, so while she's an excellent
>> reader, I don't think she's quite ready to start on PTerry's books :)
>
> He does children's books too, you know. _Diggers_ and _Truckers_, for
> example.

Yes, I've read "Truckers". Got it out of the childrens' section in my town
library :)

Kevin Anthoney

Jun 15, 2005, 5:08:59 PM6/15/05
Robibnikoff wrote:

> "Khartoum" <Khartou...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> "Robibnikoff" <witc...@broomstick.com> wrote in news:3hartdFg68mkU1
>> @individual.net:
>
> snip
>> > Hoowhee! That would be fun. I just bought "The Wee Free Men" (though I
>> > haven't started reading it yet) and "Going Postal" is on its way from
>> > Amazon. Huzzah! ;)
>>
>> Wee Free Men and Hat full of Sky are two of my favorites. The witchling
>> should be getting close in age to reading them. I will have to wait a few
>> more years until my oldest is ready (she just turned 6)
>
> Hmmm, I've been a big Pratchett fan since coming across "Lords and Ladies"
> in a book store in Cork City while on my honeymoon, but I have to say that
> "Hat Full of Sky" is probably one of my least favorite books. Can't
> really put my finger on why I didn't like it either.
>
> My daughter's only a year older than yours, so while she's an excellent
> reader, I don't think she's quite ready to start on PTerry's books :)

He does children's books too, you know. _Diggers_ and _Truckers_, for
example.

Robibnikoff

Jun 15, 2005, 5:35:55 PM6/15/05

"Hannele Huigens" <han...@lycos.nl> wrote in message
> Op Wed, 15 Jun 2005 23:08:59 +0200 schreef Kevin Anthoney
> <kevin_a...@hotmail.com>:
> And "The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents", which is very nice :-D

Yep, that one's on my list :)

Hannele Huigens

Jun 15, 2005, 5:30:17 PM6/15/05
<kevin_a...@hotmail.com>:

> Robibnikoff wrote:

And "The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents", which is very nice :-D

--
Hannele Huigens
aa #2221

Robibnikoff

Jun 15, 2005, 5:24:57 PM6/15/05

Yes, I've read "Truckers". Got it out of the childrens' section in my town
library :)

Tapio Erola

Jun 15, 2005, 7:22:04 PM6/15/05
ls...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

> Tapio Erola wrote:
> > ls...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
> >
> > > Arnold A. Schwarzenegger, muscles (image) are more
> > > important than brains(substance).
> >
> > Using image is an important part of being a politician and
> > Mr. Schwarzenegger isn't lacking in the brains department either.
> >
> > It's *because* of his brains and substance, combined with his
> > muscles (image), that entrenched special interests are screaming: he's
> > threatening to limit the through they are hogging (and incidentally
> > leeching California dry).
>
> I liked Schwarzenegger as an actor, as far as body building
> goes, it is boring. Schwarzenegger had a good looks, a good body,
> intelligence, tremendus ambition and he had good luck. He succeded
> because of all these factors. He used what he was given.

Indeed. He also worked his ass off to actualize his ambitions.
We can't mandate equality of talent (ObSF: Harrison Bergeron).

> Most people would be far better of going to colleage and learining
> how to use there intelligence, Schwarzenegger did not do that, he is
> all image.

Hint: Arnie has a B.A. in business administration and international
market of fitness from University of Wisconsin, Superior.

You were saying?

> > > Ronald W. Reagan - Helped Osama Bin Laden hammer
> > > the final nail in coffin of USSR.
> >
> > Some naughty people employed by Reagan administration to end USSR
> > occupation in Afghanistan went later to do more naughty stuff?
> > Former allies turn enemies? Well, Shit Happens.
>
> Yeah and Reagan created a lot of it. The old cold war
> strategy of backing anyone except communists created a
> lot of monsters, the Khamer Rouge perhaps was the worst.

Khmer Rouge *were* communists and aside some low-level support to
Communist vietnam. They were supported by North Vietnam, Chinese
and USSR until their excesses prompted (now-communist) Vietnam to
do some "regime change" in Cambodia...

> The communists however did not attack us, the mess we created
> fighting them did.

Hint: After '49 any direct conflict between USA and USSR would have
resulted in a funny game called "global thermonuclear war" which has an
interesting property of having no winners (despite what some loonie
warhawks on both sides might have claimed).

Both USSR and USA fought for global influence by proxies and both
sides left some really toxic political messes behind, both supporting
their own assholes around the planet. It was a mess, but you can't
make an omelet without breaking some eggs.

This was a fight for global domination, *ideologically mandated* by
Communism and operated on their side by some of the most unpleasant
characters in near history (Stalin, Mao, Khrushchev, Pol Pot...)

Jez

Jun 16, 2005, 3:21:33 PM6/16/05
"still...@yahoo.com" <still...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> So -- who are your heroes?

Me.
The whole concept of 'heros' is disgusting.

--
Jez, MBA.,
Country Dancing and Advanced Astrology, UBS.

'Realism is seductive because once you have accepted the reasonable
notion that you should base your actions on reality, you are too often
led to accept, without much questioning, someone else's version of what
that reality is. It is a crucial act of independent thinking to be
skeptical of someone else's description of reality.'-
Howard Zinn

Siobhan Burke

Jun 17, 2005, 6:59:10 AM6/17/05
In article <3hartdF...@individual.net>,
I liked both of those. The pictsies crack me up--"Drinkin'
an' fightin' an' snafflin' coo-beasties!"

Have you read any Diana Wynne Jones? If not, I highly
recommend "Charmed Life", "The Lives of Christopher Chant", and
of course "Howl's Moving Castle". :)

Robibnikoff

Jun 17, 2005, 8:58:03 AM6/17/05

"Siobhan Burke" <siobha...@CARRIERatt.net> wrote in message

snip

> > Hoowhee! That would be fun. I just bought "The Wee Free Men" (though I
> > haven't started reading it yet) and "Going Postal" is on its way from
> > Amazon. Huzzah! ;)
>
> I liked both of those. The pictsies crack me up--"Drinkin'
> an' fightin' an' snafflin' coo-beasties!"

They are hilarious, though sometimes reading their dialogue can get a bit
tedious ;)

> Have you read any Diana Wynne Jones?

Hmmm, never heard of her. I'll have to check it out.

If not, I highly
> recommend "Charmed Life", "The Lives of Christopher Chant", and
> of course "Howl's Moving Castle". :)

Ooooh! Have you seen the trailer for the movie? It looks fantastic! It's
done by the same guy who did "Spirited Away", another fantastic film :)

Robibnikoff

Jun 17, 2005, 9:31:54 AM6/17/05

> "Siobhan Burke" <siobha...@CARRIERatt.net> wrote in message
> > In article <3hartdF...@individual.net>,
> > witc...@broomstick.com says...
>
> snip
> > > Hoowhee! That would be fun. I just bought "The Wee Free Men" (though
> > > haven't started reading it yet) and "Going Postal" is on its way from
> > > Amazon. Huzzah! ;)
> >
> > I liked both of those. The pictsies crack me up--"Drinkin'
> > an' fightin' an' snafflin' coo-beasties!"
>
> They are hilarious, though sometimes reading their dialogue can get a bit
> tedious ;)
> >
> > Have you read any Diana Wynne Jones?
>
> Hmmm, never heard of her. I'll have to check it out.

Tacking onto my own post here. Did a little research - Not only have I heard
of Diana Wynne Jones, but I read one of the Chrestomanci books last year. I
thought it was quite good - I'll definitely have to check out some more ;)

stoney

Jun 17, 2005, 9:36:32 PM6/17/05
On 13 Jun 2005 05:25:18 -0700, "still...@yahoo.com"
<still...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Robibnikoff wrote:
>> <still...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
><snip>

>> > So -- who are your heroes?
>>

>> Sorry, don't have any ;/
>
>What? No one you admire for their wit, bravery, honesty, selflessness,
>integrity, brilliance, daring, etc?
>
>Okay, then.

>Which male movie star has the cutest butt?

ROFL.

--

Contempt of Congress meter reading-offscale.
Hello, theocracy with a fundamentalist US Supreme

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president
represents, more and more closely, the inner soul
of the people. On some great and glorious day the
plain folks of the land will reach their heart's
desire at last and the White House will be adorned
by a downright moron." --- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

Religion is the original war crime.
-Michelle Malkin (Feb 26, 2005)

stoney

Jun 17, 2005, 9:53:21 PM6/17/05
On 13 Jun 2005 21:11:02 -0500, cob...@newscene.com (Kate ) wrote:

>On 13 Jun 2005 18:48:24 -0700, "still...@yahoo.com"
><still...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>kathryn wrote:

>>> "Robibnikoff" <witc...@broomstick.com> wrote in message

>>> Yum :)
>>
>>Ladies, I think we have consensus :-)
>>
>>Sunny
>
>More importantly - do you have pictures?

RRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNGGGGGG

Here ya go, ladies

http://www.sofieken.50megs.com/images/brad_pitt_nude_-_gay_interest.jpg

http://www.everyguy.com/nude/brad_pitt_nude/brad_pitt_nude.jpg

http://male.celebs.ws/BradPitt/

http://www.girlconnex.com/gallery/bradpittnude.jpg

http://blogsimages.skynet.be/images/000/268/061_Brad%20Pitt%20Nude%203.jpg.150.150.jpg

http://www.sexall.net/bradpit.jpg

http://www.foto-paparazzi.com/celeb/men/b/Brad_Pitt/Brad_Pitt-1.php

http://www.foto-paparazzi.com/celeb/men/b/Brad_Pitt/Brad_Pitt-2.php

http://www.foto-paparazzi.com/celeb/men/b/Brad_Pitt/Brad_Pitt-3.php

http://www.nude-male-celebs.com/sample2.htm

Robibnikoff

Jun 17, 2005, 10:36:46 PM6/17/05

"stoney" <sto...@the.net> wrote in message

Whooop! Damn, and George is out for the night!

stoney

Jun 18, 2005, 9:52:04 AM6/18/05
<still...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>First there was Andrew Lias's comment about how easy it is to create
>saints, as people seem to like them. Then there was a viewing of
>Spanglish (which is a wonderful movie) where the theme is a young
>girl's rendition of why her mother is her most admired figure.
>
>So I got to thinking about how us naked apes like heroes, like
>exemplars of traits we find noble and worthwhile.

[]

Just a note: Don't forget Hedy Lamarr.

Automort;
]>Hedy Lamarr, the sex star who did nude scenes in the 1930s? Spied
against the
]>NAZIs and invented electronic guidance systems for torpedoes and
such.

stoney;
She also had a couple of patents.

http://www.inventions.org/culture/female/lamarr.html

Female Inventors

Hedy Lamarr

/excerpt
"Any girl can be glamorous," Hedy Lamarr once said. "All she has to do
is stand still and look stupid." The film star belied her own apothegm
by hiding a brilliant, inventive mind beneath her photogenic exterior.
In 1942, at the height of her Hollywood career, she patented a
frequency-switching system for torpedo guidance that was two decades
ahead of its time.
/excerpt

stoney

Jun 18, 2005, 7:03:50 PM6/18/05

Looks like you'll have to get buzzy then... ;)

Siobhan Burke

Jun 19, 2005, 7:37:04 AM6/19/05
In article <3hg1n3F...@individual.net>,
witc...@broomstick.com says...

> "Robibnikoff" <witc...@broomstick.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Siobhan Burke" <siobha...@CARRIERatt.net> wrote in message
> > > In article <3hartdF...@individual.net>,
> > > witc...@broomstick.com says...
> >
> > snip
> > >
> > > I liked both of those. The pictsies crack me up--"Drinkin'
> > > an' fightin' an' snafflin' coo-beasties!"
> >
> > They are hilarious, though sometimes reading their dialogue can get a bit
> > tedious ;)

Try reading it aloud sometime. ;)

> > > Have you read any Diana Wynne Jones?
> >
> > Hmmm, never heard of her. I'll have to check it out.
>
> Tacking onto my own post here. Did a little research - Not only have I heard
> of Diana Wynne Jones, but I read one of the Chrestomanci books last year. I
> thought it was quite good - I'll definitely have to check out some more ;)

I love the Chrestomanci books. Some of her stuff is rather
dark--"The Time of the Ghost" for one, but very good. "Fire and
Hemlock" is a murky, moody, but compelling take on the Tam Lin
story. "Howl's Moving Castle" is a pure delight. I've not seen
the trailer, but I did see a poster, and I'm looking forward to
seeing the film.

Sarah Jaernecke

Jun 22, 2005, 3:24:07 PM6/22/05
kathryn scrawled the following into the Great Almanac of alt.atheism:

> The suffragettes? Beaten, imprisoned, raped, killed, all so I could
> have the right to go put an x on a bit of paper once in a while.

I don't like the work "heroes" because it's so overused and ill-defined,
but I think those ladies do deserve the title. Add other women's rights
and gay rights activists, both dead and alive, to the list -- or human
rights activists in general, plus those who work or even volunteer for
aid organizations like Doctors Without Borders.

When asked for specific names, I'd go with Jane Goodall and Alice
Schwarzer. I admire Jane because she's around 70 now and still working
tirelessly for the protection of our closest relatives and their natural
habitat, as she has been doing most of her life. In a time when many
ethologists still thought of animals as meat-robots without emotion and
personality, she gave the chimps she studied names and discovered how
similar to us they are in many ways.

Alice is a (or *the*) German feminist who has been involved in the
women's rights movements in France and Germany from the beginning, and
who as a result has had more shit and vitriol heaped on her than just
about anyone else. Despite this, she has never backed down or lost her
resolve -- or her sense of humor. She's an extremely intelligent and
perceptive woman who was always ahead of her time, warning about
subjects such as religious extremism and its connection to terrorism
(and not just among the Muslims), slave prostitutes or the plight of
Islamic immigrant women years or even decades before politicians deign
to take notice of them.

I hope these two will be with us for many years to come, because we
still need them and others like them.

--
Sarah Jaernecke
Nightfire --==(UDIC)==--

Richo

Jun 22, 2005, 8:24:19 PM6/22/05

Sarah Jaernecke wrote:
> kathryn scrawled the following into the Great Almanac of alt.atheism:
>
> > The suffragettes? Beaten, imprisoned, raped, killed, all so I could
> > have the right to go put an x on a bit of paper once in a while.
>
> I don't like the work "heroes" because it's so overused and ill-defined,
> but I think those ladies do deserve the title. Add other women's rights
> and gay rights activists, both dead and alive, to the list -- or human
> rights activists in general, plus those who work or even volunteer for
> aid organizations like Doctors Without Borders.

Hi Sarah!
Long time no see.
Staying a while?

Mark.

Sarah Jaernecke

Jun 27, 2005, 3:35:01 PM6/27/05
Richo scrawled the following into the Great Almanac of alt.atheism:

> Hi Sarah!
> Long time no see.
> Staying a while?

Thanks. I'm mostly lurking and have been for quite a while, but I don't
think I'll be leaving as long as my killfile holds up (bloody spamming
fundiebots). ;)

--
Sarah Jaernecke
Nightfire --==(UDIC)==--

"For a free society, fundamentalism poses the most basic of paradoxes:
It flourishes by tolerance, but tolerance is what it cannot tolerate."
- John Balzar in the LA Times, September 17 2001