Communion for Vegan/Vegetarians

Rich Corinthian Leather

Mar 8, 2008, 10:57:41 AM3/8/08
Given that the Christians say the bread and wine in their communion
(Eucharist) is the body and blood of their Christ, how would vegans or
vegetarians justify taking it?

RCL

Uncle Vic

Mar 8, 2008, 11:04:06 AM3/8/08
One fine day in alt.atheism, Rich Corinthian Leather
<inexpl...@mysterious.net> wrote:

Lettuce pray.

--
Uncle Vic
aa Atheist #2011

Christopher A. Lee

Mar 8, 2008, 11:13:17 AM3/8/08
On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 16:04:06 GMT, Uncle Vic <add...@withheld.com>
wrote:

>One fine day in alt.atheism, Rich Corinthian Leather
><inexpl...@mysterious.net> wrote:
>
>> Given that the Christians say the bread and wine in their communion
>> (Eucharist) is the body and blood of their Christ, how would vegans or
>> vegetarians justify taking it?
>>
>> RCL
>>

>Lettuce pray.

Lettice spray.

DanielSan

Mar 8, 2008, 2:12:57 PM3/8/08
Uncle Vic said the following on 3/8/2008 8:04 AM:

> One fine day in alt.atheism, Rich Corinthian Leather
> <inexpl...@mysterious.net> wrote:
>
>> Given that the Christians say the bread and wine in their communion
>> (Eucharist) is the body and blood of their Christ, how would vegans or
>> vegetarians justify taking it?
>>
>> RCL
>>

> Lettuce pray.

I don't know about you, but I don't particularly ascribe to the Romaine
Catholic Church...

* DanielSan -- alt.atheism #2226 *
* "I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act *
* of the whole American people which declared that *
* their legislature should make no law respecting *
* an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the *
* free exercise thereof, thus building a wall of *
* separation between church and state." *
* --Thomas Jefferson, 1802 *

Christopher A. Lee

Mar 8, 2008, 2:38:15 PM3/8/08
On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 11:12:57 -0800, DanielSan
<daniel...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Uncle Vic said the following on 3/8/2008 8:04 AM:
>> One fine day in alt.atheism, Rich Corinthian Leather
>> <inexpl...@mysterious.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Given that the Christians say the bread and wine in their communion
>>> (Eucharist) is the body and blood of their Christ, how would vegans or
>>> vegetarians justify taking it?
>>>
>>> RCL
>>>

>> Lettuce pray.
>>

>I don't know about you, but I don't particularly ascribe to the Romaine
>Catholic Church...

Naughty Daniel. Slap, slap, slap.

Mike Painter

Mar 8, 2008, 5:11:45 PM3/8/08
DanielSan wrote:
> Uncle Vic said the following on 3/8/2008 8:04 AM:
>> One fine day in alt.atheism, Rich Corinthian Leather
>> <inexpl...@mysterious.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Given that the Christians say the bread and wine in their communion
>>> (Eucharist) is the body and blood of their Christ, how would vegans
>>> or vegetarians justify taking it?
>>>
>>> RCL
>>>

>> Lettuce pray.
>>

> I don't know about you, but I don't particularly ascribe to the
> Romaine Catholic Church...

I knew it was there someplace and I can't catsup* much less beet it.

*Thanks to Ronald Regan for making this a vegetable.

Smiler

Mar 8, 2008, 6:15:13 PM3/8/08

"Rich Corinthian Leather" <inexpl...@mysterious.net> wrote in message

> Given that the Christians say the bread and wine in their communion
> (Eucharist) is the body and blood of their Christ, how would vegans or
> vegetarians justify taking it?

They think the body part is the nail holes?

Smiler,
The godless one
a.a.# 2279

jbec

Mar 8, 2008, 7:27:30 PM3/8/08

"Rich Corinthian Leather" <inexpl...@mysterious.net> wrote in message
> Given that the Christians say the bread and wine in their communion
> (Eucharist) is the body and blood of their Christ, how would vegans or
> vegetarians justify taking it?

The same way carnivorous Catholics justify cannibalism, I suppose.

Mar 8, 2008, 8:42:17 PM3/8/08
On Mar 8, 10:57�am, Rich Corinthian Leather

Vegetarianism can be very healthy if it is done in a balanced way.

I always tell others if you wish to be vegetarian be one and if you do
not wish to be vegetarian, then don't be one.

But in either case, be at peace with your decision and do not harm
your health out of some pious conviction that it's the 'right thing to
do' when it is not the right thing or right diet for you.

In Matthew, Jesus is reported to have said, "That which enters into
the mouth doesn't defile the man; but that which proceeds out of the
mouth, this defiles the man."

If you wish some enlightenment on the subject of diet, take your cue
from the animal kingdom. They know what to eat and they are at peace
with what they eat. In fact, they are at peace most of the time as
long as they do not come under the control or in close proximity to UN
enlightened man.

This is the problems with humans...they like to 'hear' what appeals to
their ego instead of accepting what IS.

While it is commendable to have such high morals, when our morals lead
us to live an out of harmony life we are on the wrong path...a path of
self delusion.

Extreme or "cult like" thinking can also be a problem with various
religions, especially with Buddhists I've run into.

We hear some extreme direction and it appeals to our ego for to be
"enlightened" requires us to scale a tall peak.

But we also forget that extremes can work in both directions and we
could find ourselves far from the peak of enlightenment and in an
underground pit instead.

In general killing is to be avoided if possible - but killing again is
also part of natural law for a species to flourish, so in nature
killing must be balanced with living.

There are some spiritual extremists that tried to live on water and
air alone and even tried to filter the microbes out of the water to
return them to their source for fear of killing them by ingesting.

But, this lifestyle again is too concentrated in one area and not
balanced with accepting the natural and divine order of the universe.

You also see this in Buddhists and other vegetarian extremists that
want to turn lions and tigers into vegans as well. They wish to impose
"their will" over natures and seem to forget that they do not rule
nature - nature rules them.

Such people will never find peace as they do not understand how the
universe works in the smallest degree. Without learning to accept life
on life's terms, peace will be as illusive as the wind.

Yes, we can always "force" things to fit our desires. But forcing is
not conducive to being at peace. Forcing by its very nature means we
need to impose "our will" over something else and requires
expectations and the development of more attachments, cravings and
desires ... all peace destroying vehicles.

Besides Buddhism I also follow "jus naturale" or natural law as a
guide to living and within jus naturale, life and death is part of the
natural flow.

Another problem with being a vegetarian nowadays is the fruit and
vegetables are so expensive.

Some local produce cots:

one large apple $1.58

one large orange .96 cents

one large pear $2.12

a bag of cherries $14.30

an organic yam $5.75 o

one fig .94 cents

a pint of blueberries $6

Besides high prices our food is all f...'d up and getting worse every
day that goes by.

It is factory made, genetically engineered poison.

The fruits and vegetables taste like rubber and seem to rot before
they ripen.

The fruits from Chile are really scary to eat...might as well say they
were made in some factory in China!

When I was a kid growing up in L.A. we could pick apricots from a tree
in the alley and they had fabulous flavor even when somewhat green.

What do you get now with apricots...tasteless rubber for $3 a pound.

The peaches have lost their fuzz since they are picked green, buffed
and waxed with poisons and anti fungals.

You can't wash it off either.

Soak a buffed peach in water and you will get a rainbow oil slick on
the surface of the water composed of poison...no matter how many times
you rinse it.

Sure you can peel it to get at the poisonous rubber that is on the
inside of the peach.

They not only poison our foods from the outside, they poison them from
the inside out as well.

Most of what people eats comes from factories and has its start in the
scientist's test tubes.

Scientists like to brag about 'nature identical' food creations from
the lab.

It is only nature identical in their minds.

I've tested some of these and know they are not nature identical in
practice, as my body reacts differently to them. This is what sparked
my study of this whole conversation some years ago...nature identical.

These artificial foods create a sensation addiction within humans as
well as animals that get fed this crap.

It is a losing battle of eating poison devoid of nutrition to satisfy
our basic needs for life.

No matter how much of it we eat, it is bankrupt nutrition and we are
not able to stop or ever get honest nutrition.

It is like people drinking sea water to try and satisfy thirst.

Futile

Fat is a real epidemic...just look around you as people age.

Same with salt produced illnesses arthritis, kidney failure, high
blood sugar, diabetes, heart problems, cancers...all fueled by our
diet.

Sure some of these are from nature, but man does not need to help
nature along with promoting such sickness.

In addition, we are bombarded with radio waves, magnetic fields and
other unhealthy man made creations.

If you wonder why the corn tastes so tough nowadays, it is being
genetically modified to kill insects that eat it.

Farm raised salmon and other farm raised fish are loaded with poisons
and PCBs.

You would think farm raised fish would be clean and healthy but it is
not.

It is really a tough life 'just finding' some decent food to eat
nowadays unless you happen to live in a town with a good natural
grocer.

Take care,

V (Male)

Agnostic Freethinker
Practical Philosopher
AA#2

MarkA

Mar 8, 2008, 9:30:29 PM3/8/08
On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 16:04:06 +0000, Uncle Vic wrote:

> One fine day in alt.atheism, Rich Corinthian Leather
> <inexpl...@mysterious.net> wrote:
>
>> Given that the Christians say the bread and wine in their communion
>> (Eucharist) is the body and blood of their Christ, how would vegans or
>> vegetarians justify taking it?
>>
>> RCL
>>

> Lettuce pray.

Visualize whorled peas.

--
MarkA
(This space temporarily unavailable)

MarkA

Mar 8, 2008, 9:32:26 PM3/8/08

What a great marketing idea! Instead of "donut holes", we could market
"Jesus holes"! We'll make millions!

Olrik

Mar 9, 2008, 1:41:22 AM3/9/08
On Mar 8, 10:57 am, Rich Corinthian Leather
<inexplica...@mysterious.net> wrote:

Most vegans and/or vegetarians I know are not religious per se.
They're New Age, badly educated freaks. Nice folks, though.

I think they hope to live to be 100 years-old, spoon-fed and changed
regularly. Alzheimer's being a nice option...

Olrik

> RCL

Robibnikoff

Mar 9, 2008, 10:30:24 AM3/9/08

"Olrik" <olri...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Considering a) I'm a vegetarian and b) my mother has Alzheimer's, I invite
you to go fuck yourself :P
--
Robyn
Resident Witchypoo

Smiler

Mar 9, 2008, 7:35:44 PM3/9/08

"MarkA" <j...@somewhere.com> wrote in message

Two varieties...Hands & feet, both available with or without rust (from the
genuine nails).

Olrik

Mar 9, 2008, 11:49:38 PM3/9/08
On Mar 9, 10:30 am, "Robibnikoff" <witchy...@broomstick.com> wrote:
> "Olrik" <olrik...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Sorry about your mother. It must be hell for her and for you. I hope
she's well taken care of.

Olrik

Robibnikoff

Mar 10, 2008, 7:46:26 AM3/10/08

"Olrik" <olri...@gmail.com> wrote in message

<Sigh> Sorry, I told you to go fuck yourself :(

Just going through a really hard time with her right now. I'm trying to get
her into an assisted living facility and she's not exactly being
cooperative. And unbeknownst to her, I'm taking her car keys away from her
today.

Again, I apologize :(

Olrik

Mar 11, 2008, 12:37:41 AM3/11/08
On Mar 10, 7:46 am, "Robibnikoff" <witchy...@broomstick.com> wrote:
> "Olrik" <olrik...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > On Mar 9, 10:30 am, "Robibnikoff" <witchy...@broomstick.com> wrote:
> >> "Olrik" <olrik...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> Considering a) I'm a vegetarian and b) my mother has Alzheimer's, I
> >> invite
> >> you to go fuck yourself :P
>
> > Sorry about your mother. It must be hell for her and for you. I hope
> > she's well taken care of.
>
> <Sigh> Sorry, I told you to go fuck yourself :(

Don't be!

> Just going through a really hard time with her right now. I'm trying to get
> her into an assisted living facility and she's not exactly being
> cooperative. And unbeknownst to her, I'm taking her car keys away from her
> today.

So I gather that the disease is at an early(ish) stage. I don't have
first hand experience, but I have a friend who had to deal with her
mother's Alzheimer's. It *was* tough for her, even more so since she
was an only child. I hope you have other family members who can share
the burden (yes, "burden") with you.

> Again, I apologize :(

"fuggetaboutit"

;-)

Olrik

Robibnikoff

Mar 11, 2008, 11:52:02 AM3/11/08

> On Mar 10, 7:46 am, "Robibnikoff" <witchy...@broomstick.com> wrote:
snip

>> > Sorry about your mother. It must be hell for her and for you. I hope
>> > she's well taken care of.
>>
>> <Sigh> Sorry, I told you to go fuck yourself :(
>
> Don't be!

Naw, it' wasn't necessary. I'm just totally stressed.

>> Just going through a really hard time with her right now. I'm trying to
>> get
>> her into an assisted living facility and she's not exactly being
>> cooperative. And unbeknownst to her, I'm taking her car keys away from
>> her
>> today.
>
> So I gather that the disease is at an early(ish) stage.

Not really. And she's definitely taken a major turn for the worse this past
week or so. At least I got her to check out the assisted living facility (I
think she really liked it). I have to spend the evening with her because
she's made some kind of appointment with a salemen (who I'm going to
absolutely annihilate when I see them) for some kind of service that she
doesn't need. Of course, she has no idea what it is. I will be there with
teeth and claws bared, I can assure you.

I don't have
> first hand experience, but I have a friend who had to deal with her
> mother's Alzheimer's. It *was* tough for her, even more so since she
> was an only child. I hope you have other family members who can share
> the burden (yes, "burden") with you.

Sadly, there's not. I have a brother out in Montana who's a worthless piece
of shit as far as I'm concerned. He was so concerned about my mom's health
untiil he started getting funds from her via family gifting. Now I never
hear from him. Fucking scumbag. My mom's sister isn't any help either. All
I get from her is "Oh, I feel so sorry for you". Fuck you. I don't want her
sympathy, I want her help.

>> Again, I apologize :(
>
> "fuggetaboutit"

Alrighty then - That makes me feel a little better :)

Olrik

Mar 11, 2008, 11:22:06 PM3/11/08

I hope they have good surveillance because, from what I'm told,
Alzheimer patients have a tendency to "escape". My friend's mom missed
her weekly visit to her favorite hairdresser, and found ways to get
there. The problem, as you can imagine, is that more often than not,
she got lost.

> I have to spend the evening with her because
> she's made some kind of appointment with a salemen (who I'm going to
> absolutely annihilate when I see them) for some kind of service that she
> doesn't need. Of course, she has no idea what it is. I will be there with
> teeth and claws bared, I can assure you.

Strangely, I believe you!

;-)

Olrik

Robibnikoff

Mar 14, 2008, 7:30:14 AM3/14/08

> On Mar 11, 11:52 am, "Robibnikoff" <witchy...@broomstick.com> wrote:

snip

>> Not really. And she's definitely taken a major turn for the worse this
>> past
>> week or so. At least I got her to check out the assisted living facility
>> (I
>> think she really liked it).
>
> I hope they have good surveillance because, from what I'm told,
> Alzheimer patients have a tendency to "escape".

Her room actually has 3 sensors, so they do monitor the residents at all
times.

My friend's mom missed
> her weekly visit to her favorite hairdresser, and found ways to get
> there. The problem, as you can imagine, is that more often than not,
> she got lost.

<sigh> I could imagine ;(

>> I have to spend the evening with her because
>> she's made some kind of appointment with a salemen (who I'm going to
>> absolutely annihilate when I see them) for some kind of service that she
>> doesn't need. Of course, she has no idea what it is. I will be there
>> with
>> teeth and claws bared, I can assure you.
>
> Strangely, I believe you!

LOL! Well, the bozo apparently called to confirm the appointment and my mom
told him she wasn't interested, so I didn't get to sharpen my claws on his
worthless hide. Rats!

However, I did get to verbally semi-shred my mother's "gentleman friend" as
apparently he's trying to put in his two cents about this assisted living
facility I'm putting my mother in. He wanted a print-out of the expenses,
etc. I called him up and told him that he needed to back off and that this
was none of his business. I was as polite as I possibly could be, but I was
livid! Like what I'm dealing with isn't hard enough, I've got this bozo
sticking his nose in. Grrrrrr :(

Seriously, now is NOT the time to fuck with me >:(

Olrik

Mar 15, 2008, 12:43:59 AM3/15/08
On Mar 14, 7:30 am, "Robibnikoff" <witchy...@broomstick.com> wrote:
> "Olrik" <olrik...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > On Mar 11, 11:52 am, "Robibnikoff" <witchy...@broomstick.com> wrote:
>
> snip
>
> >> Not really. And she's definitely taken a major turn for the worse this
> >> past
> >> week or so. At least I got her to check out the assisted living facility
> >> (I
> >> think she really liked it).
>
> > I hope they have good surveillance because, from what I'm told,
> > Alzheimer patients have a tendency to "escape".
>
> Her room actually has 3 sensors, so they do monitor the residents at all
> times.
>
> My friend's mom missed
>
> > her weekly visit to her favorite hairdresser, and found ways to get
> > there. The problem, as you can imagine, is that more often than not,
> > she got lost.
>
> <sigh> I could imagine ;(

Truth be told, when my friend told me about these "escapes", I could
not help but discern a certain pride she had in her mother's about
those escapades. I may be wrong, but I think she liked the fact that
her mother could still want to do stuff she liked, and found the means
to do it.

> >> I have to spend the evening with her because
> >> she's made some kind of appointment with a salemen (who I'm going to
> >> absolutely annihilate when I see them) for some kind of service that she
> >> doesn't need. Of course, she has no idea what it is. I will be there
> >> with
> >> teeth and claws bared, I can assure you.
>
> > Strangely, I believe you!
>
> LOL! Well, the bozo apparently called to confirm the appointment and my mom
> told him she wasn't interested, so I didn't get to sharpen my claws on his
> worthless hide. Rats!
>
> However, I did get to verbally semi-shred my mother's "gentleman friend" as
> apparently he's trying to put in his two cents about this assisted living
> facility I'm putting my mother in. He wanted a print-out of the expenses,
> etc. I called him up and told him that he needed to back off and that this
> was none of his business. I was as polite as I possibly could be, but I was
> livid! Like what I'm dealing with isn't hard enough, I've got this bozo
> sticking his nose in. Grrrrrr :(

Beware the buzzards...

Olrik

Robibnikoff

Mar 15, 2008, 9:22:56 AM3/15/08

"Olrik" <olri...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Yeah, I could see that. I think my mother's too far gone mentally for that
sort of thing.

Right now I have her car because mine had to go into the shop - What my
mother doesn't realize is she ain't getting it back. That's going to be a
fun conversation.

He's not really a buzzard. I'm sure he had the best of intentions, but I
told him yesterday (he was at my mom's place when I was picking up the car)
that my mom was going into this facility whether he liked it or not.

Don Martin

Mar 16, 2008, 10:44:41 AM3/16/08
On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 09:22:56 -0400, "Robibnikoff" <witc...@broomstick.com>
wrote:

>> Truth be told, when my friend told me about these "escapes", I could
>> not help but discern a certain pride she had in her mother's about
>> those escapades. I may be wrong, but I think she liked the fact that
>> her mother could still want to do stuff she liked, and found the means
>> to do it.
>
>Yeah, I could see that. I think my mother's too far gone mentally for that
>sort of thing.
>
>Right now I have her car because mine had to go into the shop - What my
>mother doesn't realize is she ain't getting it back. That's going to be a
>fun conversation.

This is a big problem that the VA deals with: getting driver's licenses and guns
out of the hands of the demented. Often the last part of the mind to go is a
sense of entitlement, and in the U.S., people feel more entitled to their cars
than to their weapons (there is no lobby battling for automobile ownership like
the NRA does for our "rights" to blow away our fellow man). The laws on driving
vary, sometimes greatly, from state to state and the VA has patients in all of
them. One tactic is to send a doctor's letter with a diagnosis of dementia (of
whatever sort) to the state DMV, which will either suspend the license or insist
upon a driving test for the person. Once the license is cancelled, it is easier
to pry the steering wheel out of the hands.

aa #2278 If you can't be a dirty old man, what is the point of being an old man?
Fidei defensor (Hon. Antipodean)
The Squeeky Wheel: http://home.comcast.net/~drdonmartin/