Interview with a Saudi atheist...

Fidem Turbare, the non-existent atheist goddess

Mar 2, 2013, 7:57:50 PM3/2/13
Here's a link to this interesting article from November 2012 entitled
"Interview with a Saudi atheist..."

http://www.jkornet.com/2012/11/23/interview-with-a-saudi-atheist/

"I usually get a few copies of English language books that no one can
understand, but I had to cover 'God is not Great' with a bag as I went
through customs, that was too obvious..."

There's a lot more in that article though, and I haven't finished
reading it yet but I felt compelled to share with alt.atheism.moderated.

To me, sneaking books like Christopher Hitchens' "God is not great"
into Saudi Arabia through customs is an indication that people are very
curious about atheism. I hope this trend eventually overwhelms the
Saudi government in a manner that leads to democratic secularism with
an emphasis on freedom from and of religion.

--
Fidem Turbare, the non-existent atheist goddess
"How do you see Freedom of Religion supported by coercing citizens to

Dakota

Mar 3, 2013, 4:53:16 AM3/3/13
On 3/2/2013 6:57 PM, Fidem Turbare, the non-existent atheist goddess
wrote:
> Here's a link to this interesting article from November 2012 entitled
> "Interview with a Saudi atheist..."
>
> http://www.jkornet.com/2012/11/23/interview-with-a-saudi-atheist/
>
> "I usually get a few copies of English language books that no one can
> understand, but I had to cover 'God is not Great' with a bag as I went
> through customs, that was too obvious..."
>
> There's a lot more in that article though, and I haven't finished
> reading it yet but I felt compelled to share with alt.atheism.moderated.
>
> To me, sneaking books like Christopher Hitchens' "God is not great"
> into Saudi Arabia through customs is an indication that people are very
> curious about atheism. I hope this trend eventually overwhelms the
> Saudi government in a manner that leads to democratic secularism with
> an emphasis on freedom from and of religion.

It's also an indication that they're brave.

Fidem Turbare, the non-existent atheist goddess

Mar 3, 2013, 1:44:52 PM3/3/13
Ha ha! Yes.

Especially if they don't believe in a rewarding afterlife.

--
Fidem Turbare, the non-existent atheist goddess
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way

Alex W.

Mar 4, 2013, 9:02:09 AM3/4/13
... and stupid.

What's wrong with downloading the book? If it is too dangerous
to do so at home in Saudi Arabia (state censors and snoops), do
it on the laptop or kindle while on a trip.

Dakota

Mar 5, 2013, 1:16:55 AM3/5/13
The state censors and snoops can easily check your computer or other
device when you go through security on your return to Saudi Arabia.
They do know about such things.

Alex W.

Mar 5, 2013, 8:19:09 AM3/5/13
I'm sure they do.
OTOH, it is much easier to hide a file on a computer than a paper
book in your luggage.

Dakota

Mar 5, 2013, 5:34:10 PM3/5/13
True. A file can be more easily distributed as well.