The UNIVERSE - What we know ...

casagi...@optimum.net

Jul 21, 2022, 3:26:07 PM7/21/22
Wasn't created. It always was and always will be.

Infinite in all dimensions of both space and time.

No boundaries or limits.

No Big Bang.

No God.

Mark Earnest

Jul 21, 2022, 3:42:09 PM7/21/22
Good grasp of infinity. But what difference does that make to you if the universe will last forever?

R Kym Horsell

Jul 21, 2022, 4:07:50 PM7/21/22
Mark Earnest <gmea...@att.net> wrote:
> On Thursday, July 21, 2022 at 2:26:07 PM UTC-5, casagi...@optimum.net wrote:
>> Wasn't created. It always was and always will be.
>> Infinite in all dimensions of both space and time.
>> No boundaries or limits.
>> No Big Bang.
>> No God.
> Good grasp of infinity.

Not really. Physical theories that have infinity in them
have been regarded as "infantile" in the past 200y because
they have contradictions in them. Believing you can infinitely
divide space or matter into smaller and smaller parts forever
just doesnt work. Xeno's paradox etc.

Even the first order infinity Aleph_0 -- the number of integers --
has so many odd consequences adults aim for theories that
doesn't have it.

In infinity hotel there are an infinite number of rooms.
Today they are all full up. But a guest arrives and wants to
book in. No problem, says the desk clerk, he announces on
the public address system all guests must move to the next-higher-numbered
room. Everyone moves up. The new guest gets room 1. No problem.
Full up. Plenty of room.

The next day a media star arrives with an inifinit number of people
in their retinue. Unfortunately the hotel is still full up from
the prev day. But not a problem says the desk clerk. There is
infinite room. They announce on the public address that each
guest has to move to the room with double the number of the
one they have now. After a bit of mucking around in the
corridors there are now an infinite number of rooms available
and all the arrivals can settle in. Full up and inifinte room left.

You have a theory that allows things like that and you are
a bit of a dolt for not realizing it.

Of course there are higher levels of infinity that have worse
problems. Aleph_1 is the number of reals. The problems that
can make are infinite. So Nature wisely decided not to allow
space and time to be infinitely divided,

--
[Mo Hillbilly bullshit:]
A milli-kelvin change the sun temperature would

The percentage change [...] to cause a one degree Celsius change in steady-state
average earth temperature (i.e., the climate sensitivity) is as follows:
* Solar constant 1.4% [i.e. 80K at the sun]
* Albedo 3.3%
* Effective emissivity 1.4%
-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_climate_model#Radiative-convective_models

Mark Earnest

Jul 21, 2022, 4:29:35 PM7/21/22
There are infinite things if you don't get trapped by your own words. Words are fluid and change meaning depending on what you mean by them.

R Kym Horsell

Jul 21, 2022, 4:41:22 PM7/21/22
Building theories is not really for cranks. Like many problems in
science and math you have to set down exactly what things mean before
you start playing around. Cranks have the unfortunate tendency to
not only be dogmatic about what they claim they know but weasel around
with the meanings of their words after they are shown to be full of shite.

In chapter 2 of "cranks I have read about" is the guy that tried to
claim he had proved pi was not some obcure number near 3 but, in fact, 4.
He reasoned by analogy with a square but using terms so nebulous noone
could pin him down to exactly what he was yammering about.
But he seemed so confident of his rubbish it got to the stage of making
the "finding" part of law in one US state.
The aim of the exercise seemed to be to guarantee the crank income for
life because use of his discovery was supposdely to require payments
except for state schools and charitable institutions.

--
Why Incompetent People seem more Confident.
"The Dunning-Kruger effect is related to the cognitive bias of illusory

Rockinghorse Winner

Jul 24, 2022, 2:40:16 AM7/24/22
Yes, that's kinda how this works. :)
--

"Many have sought in vain to tell joyously of the Most Joyous. Now at last It
declares Itself to me, now in this misery." - Holderlin