DVP's Newspaper Archive

David Von Pein

Dec 25, 2020, 10:24:06 PM12/25/20
I've been collecting a lot of old vintage newspaper clippings and full
newspaper pages recently, featuring lots of JFK-related items, plus
hundreds of other news stories from the last 100+ years. So I thought I'd
share some of those newspaper pages here in this thread....

All about JFK's trip to Tampa on 11/18/63:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-rs9XXZRNoDM/X-WdJAjwnwI/AAAAAAABXJo/WPB3g4Tuf6IQWn1rdX8959VOcxkOgm4gwCLcBGAsYHQ/s3000-h/The-Tampa-Tribune-November-19-1963--01.jpg
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7n3hJARhw6g/X-WdJeH75XI/AAAAAAABXJs/btzfqnMMj7kC5uPa2HcdM7ZxHO0bg5e-wCLcBGAsYHQ/s3000-h/The-Tampa-Tribune-November-19-1963--02.jpg

A Kennedy cartoon from Aug. 2, 1963:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lwYJJpiZIck/X-QMuc5CxPI/AAAAAAABXH4/3rIlQXtYWsEDjClzvl2kO_YueZ4g2OvSQCLcBGAsYHQ/s2000/The-State-Journal-Lansing-Michigan-August-2-1963.jpg

Kennedy's new Air Force 1 (SAM 26000) takes off from Seattle on its
delivery flight (Oct. 10, 1962):

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0dRCqUxUEpg/X-VZ4E4uNtI/AAAAAAABXJE/CKPkKS4kKtYCbRoLeOUBwMlOHbvhRu3wQCLcBGAsYHQ/s3000/Casper-Morning-Star-October-11-1962--New-Kennedy-Plane.jpg

Kennedy's new limousine arrives at the White House (June '61):
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jRYiaPqoCa0/X-R_y7MUCVI/AAAAAAABXIg/H79EZFy_ADIwV8dDumEKh9iHGdV7EW1SACLcBGAsYHQ/s3000/The-News-Herald-June-16-1961--Full-Page.jpg

As an aside to the above newspaper page, maybe someone familiar with the
timeline of Dulles International Airport in Washington, D.C., can help me
with this question that has me scratching my head more than a little
bit---

In the 1961 newspaper depicted directly above, there are photos and
captions regarding Dulles Airport's "mobile lounges" and how they were
already in use at Dulles in June of '61. Now, what I want to know is: How
is it possible for those mobile lounges to be in operation at Dulles when
the first flight at that new airport didn't occur until November of 1962,
which was 1.5 years later? ~big shrug.

President Kennedy, btw, officially dedicated the Dulles Airport on
11/17/62, and Wikipedia says the first flight into Dulles took place two
days after that---on 11/19/62.

All online info I have been able to find doesn't show any operations at
Dulles until late '62. So what gives with those photos from June of '61?
Anybody know? ~shrug~

(More clippings coming soon....)
(Requests for specific topics accepted.)

My complete newspaper collection is linked below (which is being expanded
regularly):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JLHd_6yJgcf02P_G9j-bU8NJnq5p6HRc

David Von Pein

Dec 26, 2020, 10:14:06 AM12/26/20

David Von Pein

Dec 26, 2020, 10:58:18 AM12/26/20
Here's JFK in a motorcade in Oakland, California, in March of '62. And
this photo provides just one more example (among hundreds of others that
are available) to drive home the fact that the 11/22 Dallas motorcade was
not lax as far as the security. In fact, in this California motorcade in
'62, please note the complete lack of any Secret Service agents at all on
the running boards of the SS follow-up car. Plus, there are NO motorcycles
beside JFK's car at all (even though the crowd is pretty close to the car
in the photo). The cycles seen in this Oakland picture are riding some
distance AHEAD and BEHIND the President's car. The rear motorcycles, in
fact, are riding behind the follow-up car even! So from those two
standpoints alone---the motorcycle security and the SS agents NOT being on
the running boards---the President's vehicle in Dealey Plaza was much MORE
secure and better protected than it was during this portion of this
California parade:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ssixGys9Lsc/X-XpY2izGkI/AAAAAAABXKs/Ad4pvJ6ydGkdP_11mSYZhAM4aoAZQt5dwCLcBGAsYHQ/s4000-h/Messenger-Inquirer-Owensboro-Kentucky-March-24-1962.jpg

David Von Pein

Dec 26, 2020, 10:58:25 AM12/26/20
This May 1963 Tennessee newspaper front page has a very interesting
article---entitled "Kennedy 'On His Own' In Huge Nashville Crowd":

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-nG6nugrMgeQ/X-YEO-sQTfI/AAAAAAABXK8/b1mgz-_RtiUZqXgRV0DAlyqAJ6XFfncJACLcBGAsYHQ/s3000/Kingsport-Times-News-May-19-1963.jpg

David Von Pein

Dec 26, 2020, 10:58:29 AM12/26/20

John Corbett

Dec 26, 2020, 10:58:32 AM12/26/20
They probably weren't in use yet. They were just showing a feature of the
airport that was nearing completion. I don't think these mobile lounges
ever caught on. The covered ramps that telescope from the waiting room to
the plane soon became the standard. I took my first flight in 1974 from
Port Columbus (Recently renamed John Glenn International) and we boarded
using the old fashioned roll up stairway to board the plane but when we
landed in Tampa, they had the telescoping ramps. I wasn't even aware that
those portable lounges were ever in use until I saw this photo. I wonder
how long they lasted. Does any airport still use them?

John Corbett

Dec 26, 2020, 11:43:43 AM12/26/20
I notice the agent riding in the shotgun seat is holding the door open to
keep the crowd from getting too close as was done on Main St. in Dallas.

David Von Pein

Dec 26, 2020, 4:09:19 PM12/26/20
> The [mobile lounges] probably weren't in use yet. They were just showing a feature of the
> airport that was nearing completion.

But that's not what the caption in one of the photos says. The caption
specifically mentions that the mobile lounges (as of June '61) were "now
in service at Dulles International Airport". Which, of course, is
impossible....since that airport wouldn't even open up for any airline
traffic for another 17 months. Very strange indeed. ~additional shrug~

> I don't think these mobile lounges
> ever caught on. The covered ramps that telescope from the waiting room to
> the plane soon became the standard. I took my first flight in 1974 from
> Port Columbus (Recently renamed John Glenn International) and we boarded
> using the old fashioned roll up stairway to board the plane but when we
> landed in Tampa, they had the telescoping ramps. I wasn't even aware that
> those portable lounges were ever in use until I saw this photo. I wonder
> how long they lasted. Does any airport still use them?

Dulles still uses a few of them (per Wikipedia).

Ever see the movie "Airport 1975" (with Charlton Heston, Karen Black, and
Gloria Swanson [her last film])? It starts out in Washington (at Dulles
Intl.), and the mobile lounges are featured as part of that film.

As far as I am aware, Dulles Airport is the *only* airport that has ever
featured those mobile lounges.
Message has been deleted

John Corbett

Dec 26, 2020, 9:54:17 PM12/26/20
I missed that. I had only read the caption on the first photo. Headline
writers sometimes misinterpret what a story is about. I wonder if the same
is true of caption writers.

> > I don't think these mobile lounges
> > ever caught on. The covered ramps that telescope from the waiting room to
> > the plane soon became the standard. I took my first flight in 1974 from
> > Port Columbus (Recently renamed John Glenn International) and we boarded
> > using the old fashioned roll up stairway to board the plane but when we
> > landed in Tampa, they had the telescoping ramps. I wasn't even aware that
> > those portable lounges were ever in use until I saw this photo. I wonder
> > how long they lasted. Does any airport still use them?
> Dulles still uses a few of them (per Wikipedia).
>
> Ever see the movie "Airport 1975" (with Charlton Heston, Karen Black, and
> Gloria Swanson [her last film])? It starts out in Washington (at Dulles
> Intl.), and the mobile lounges are featured as part of that film.

I saw that movie just once a long time ago. I can't even remember the
plot.

> As far as I am aware, Dulles Airport is the *only* airport that has ever
> featured those mobile lounges.

The first caption used the term airports as in plural but we've already
established they got one key fact wrong. It seems like a rather expensive
option compared to the telescoping ramps now in widespread us. Even with
tinted glass it seems like you would need some heavy duty air
conditioning, especially in Washington.

David Von Pein

Dec 29, 2020, 8:23:09 PM12/29/20

David Von Pein

Jan 1, 2021, 12:30:08 AM1/1/21

David Von Pein

Jan 1, 2021, 7:37:19 AM1/1/21

Anthony Marsh

Jan 1, 2021, 4:16:39 PM1/1/21
Thanks for the Jacoby bridge column.
Here's a question that no one seems to have debated:
The limo as delivered had platforms that could stick out on the sides
for agents to stand on. They were seldom used and then removed as being
too dangerous. If they had been used in Dallas would that have given JFK
a chance of surviving?
For example, when everyone heard the first shot and then there was a
pause, could a SS agent jump into the limo and covered JFK?
But JFK might not have liked the platforms and ordered them off.

>>> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JLHd_6yJgcf02P_G9j-bU8NJnq5p6HRc

John Corbett

Jan 2, 2021, 3:41:30 PM1/2/21
Agents could have positioned themselves on the running boards of the
presidential limo just as they did on the Queen Mary. There were also rear
platforms with hand holds that hadn't been removed. If agents had been on
the running board they would have been in position to cover JFK. If they
reacted immediately following the first shot he might not have been hit at
all. Even if they didn't react until the second shot, they could have
prevented the fatal head shot. Of course all this assumes the agents would
have used the running boards which is unlikely. JFK preferred they not
ride on the limo on the rear platforms so why would he feel differently
about having them on the running board. If they positioned themselves on
running boards the way they were on the Queen Mary it would have blocked
the spectators view of the JFK which would have defeated the whole purpose
of the motorcade which was to get JFK and Jackie seen by large crowds in
Dallas.

John Corbett

Jan 2, 2021, 3:41:33 PM1/2/21
On Friday, January 1, 2021 at 7:37:19 AM UTC-5, David Von Pein wrote:
> https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JzbdtwADseo/X-74wikdEfI/AAAAAAABXMk/cZ44Iy9rJ88IsJ6CRLE53SQ7ufU-_AgFwCLcBGAsYHQ/s4000-h/Los-Angeles-Times-December-7-1963--Oswald-Friend-Talks.jpg

Here's one you can add to your collection:

https://omaha.com/news/from-the-owh-archives-jfks-assassination/article_d517c50e-9b7d-50bd-b345-2cb58fb77a89.html

This is the evening edition or what they called their Wall St edition. I
knew the World Herald had a morning and afternoon edition but didn't know
they also had an evening Wall St. edition. The afternoon edition would
arrive on our doorstep around 4:30-500 CST. I vividly remember the two
word headline in the boldest type I ever saw them use:

KENNEDY ASSASSINATED

The story would have to have been rushed to make the deadline for the
afternoon edition. I remember it being just a couple paragraphs long with
very little news other than JFK was dead.

Anthony Marsh

Jan 3, 2021, 8:05:06 PM1/3/21
If you look at the photos you can see that Clint Hill sometimes rode the
bumper by holding onto the rear handhold. So, if he was there when the
shots rang out, do you you think he could have saved JFK? If someone had
immediately grabbed the AR-15 would it have made any difference?

John Corbett

Jan 4, 2021, 11:58:37 PM1/4/21
Had any agent been riding the bumper they probably could have prevented
the fatal head shot. I doubt grabbing the AR-15 would have been any
difference because they would have first had to locate the shooter and
since he was at their backs, it's unlikely they would have done so before
he got off the fatal shot.

David Von Pein

Jan 5, 2021, 10:20:56 AM1/5/21

Anthony Marsh

Jan 5, 2021, 3:07:11 PM1/5/21
Why don't you buy into the Donahue theory that the SS did grab the AR-15
and accidenally shot JFK in the head?

> difference because they would have first had to locate the shooter and
> since he was at their backs, it's unlikely they would have done so before
> he got off the fatal shot.

Jeez, how much time do you need to react? An hour?

John Corbett

Jan 6, 2021, 1:05:53 AM1/6/21
On Tuesday, January 5, 2021 at 3:07:11 PM UTC-5, Anthony Marsh wrote:

> Why don't you buy into the Donahue theory that the SS did grab the AR-15
> and accidenally shot JFK in the head?

Why don't you stick to your own silly beliefs instead of trying tell me
what I should believe.

David Von Pein

Jan 6, 2021, 9:49:44 AM1/6/21

David Von Pein

Jan 6, 2021, 9:49:47 AM1/6/21

David Von Pein

Jan 6, 2021, 9:49:51 AM1/6/21
The first "ambush" in Dealey Plaza (17 years before JFK's death):

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TQSaE82c2bA/X_VHYo-GdcI/AAAAAAABXOU/60LGfiWyDw0y08uZlwSZVoYDdnN3Be18QCLcBGAsYHQ/s1500/Fort-Worth-Star-Telegram-March-7-1946--Ambush-In-Dealey-Plaza-To-Be-Staged.jpg

(NOTE --- I looked for follow-up stories and/or photos concerning the
simulated ambush that occurred in Dealey Plaza in March of 1946, but
unfortunately I found nothing.)

Martin Caidin

Jan 6, 2021, 2:18:10 PM1/6/21
On Wednesday, January 6, 2021 at 9:49:44 AM UTC-5, David Von Pein wrote:
> https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-w3iYTdq8XWU/X_UzLBCZ__I/AAAAAAABXN8/4fF1lUAet7Q1crydKHAG83FncQzRTlOoQCLcBGAsYHQ/s3000-h/The-Longview-Texas-Daily-News-Nov-14-1949--Dealey-Statue-To-Be-Unveiled.jpg

A statue of a white man in the South? Why that's objectively racist! Only
a matter of time before leftists call for its removal - peaceably or
otherwise.

John Corbett

Jan 6, 2021, 2:18:14 PM1/6/21
Do you know if there were any Indians on the grassy knoll? :)

Steve Schmidt

Jan 6, 2021, 3:15:06 PM1/6/21
On Saturday, January 2, 2021 at 3:41:33 PM UTC-5, John Corbett wrote:

> Here's one you can add to your collection:
>
> https://omaha.com/news/from-the-owh-archives-jfks-assassination/article_d517c50e-9b7d-50bd-b345-2cb58fb77a89.html

That’s a really weird looking photo of JFK on the front page.

Probably what he would have looked like if they had had an open casket
funeral.

Anthony Marsh

Jan 6, 2021, 8:53:33 PM1/6/21
I can't rember that far back.

John Corbett

Jan 7, 2021, 12:59:50 AM1/7/21
That's actually what I thought the same thing when I saw it on the day of
the assassination. It almost looks like he already has the mortuary
make-up on. Funny how your remark triggered that memory for me.

David Von Pein

Jan 8, 2021, 8:18:05 PM1/8/21

David Von Pein

Jan 10, 2021, 5:43:32 PM1/10/21
JFK's assassination....
With newspapers presented from all 50 states....

http://kennedy-photos.blogspot.com/2013/03/kennedy-gallery-307.html

David Von Pein

Jan 10, 2021, 6:35:29 PM1/10/21

David Von Pein

Jan 10, 2021, 8:57:29 PM1/10/21

Martin Caidin

Jan 10, 2021, 10:27:54 PM1/10/21
On Sunday, January 10, 2021 at 8:57:29 PM UTC-5, David Von Pein wrote:
> https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HJyp9Q9FMbU/X0NHGlbg7vI/AAAAAAABWJs/H3bCC2v1Lw4lNQcECqpH7yZ2jNgqMH2FACLcBGAsYHQ/s7000-h/The-Boston-Globe-November-24-1963--Motorcade-Route-Gave-Assassin-Clear-Slow-Target.jpg

Well, they got the location of the TSBD and press car wrong, but not bad
for 48 hours after the assassination.

John Corbett

Jan 11, 2021, 7:59:42 AM1/11/21
They also indicated that Tippit got killed at the Texas Theater.

David Von Pein

Jan 11, 2021, 10:39:01 PM1/11/21
The CTers who are still fantasizing about the "Two Oswalds" theory will
enjoy the error made by The Hartford Courant newspaper in its 11/23/63
edition when LHO was called "Harvey Lee Oswald" on the front page, which
was a fairly common mistake made by the media in the first 24 hours after
JFK's death.

Since "Lee" is a very common middle name in the U.S., many people thought
LHO's first name was Harvey and his middle name was Lee. To certain CTers,
however, such a common gaffe is just more proof that there were 2 Oswalds
roaming Texas in '63. (I also found a CBS-TV clip in which Walter Cronkite
called LHO "Leo H. Oswald". Maybe that means we've got THREE Oswalds now.)
😉

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6W1fAMvZiEg/X_0B4IT_uoI/AAAAAAABXRA/DyGXU1aSvug0KuVaugfw5IgLYzCwIvOMwCLcBGAsYHQ/s3000-h/The-Hartford-Courant-November-23-1963.jpg

David Von Pein

Jan 11, 2021, 10:39:04 PM1/11/21

Steve Schmidt

Jan 12, 2021, 8:23:05 AM1/12/21
On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 10:39:01 PM UTC-5, David Von Pein wrote:
> The CTers who are still fantasizing about the "Two Oswalds" theory will
> enjoy the error made by The Hartford Courant newspaper in its 11/23/63
> edition when LHO was called "Harvey Lee Oswald" on the front page, which
> was a fairly common mistake made by the media in the first 24 hours after
> JFK's death.

There’s also mention of an Enfield rifle. Maybe each of the 3
“Oswalds” had their own weapon: a Mauser, a Carcano and an
Enfield.

John Corbett

Jan 12, 2021, 12:16:39 PM1/12/21
Later that Enfield became a Japanese rifle. Before that it was a .30-30. I
think Walter Cronkite had described it all three ways during the course of
that afternoon. Obviously there was some stellar reporting going on.

Anthony Marsh

Jan 13, 2021, 8:49:48 PM1/13/21
On 1/11/2021 10:38 PM, David Von Pein wrote:
> The CTers who are still fantasizing about the "Two Oswalds" theory will
> enjoy the error made by The Hartford Courant newspaper in its 11/23/63
> edition when LHO was called "Harvey Lee Oswald" on the front page, which
> was a fairly common mistake made by the media in the first 24 hours after
> JFK's death.
>
> Since "Lee" is a very common middle name in the U.S., many people thought
> LHO's first name was Harvey and his middle name was Lee. To certain CTers,
> however, such a common gaffe is just more proof that there were 2 Oswalds
> roaming Texas in '63. (I also found a CBS-TV clip in which Walter Cronkite
> called LHO "Leo H. Oswald". Maybe that means we've got THREE Oswalds now.)\\

Or maybe he was using the name Harvey to confuse his landaady.
I was so annoyed at the reporters who called him Lee Henry Oswald.

> ????
>
> https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6W1fAMvZiEg/X_0B4IT_uoI/AAAAAAABXRA/DyGXU1aSvug0KuVaugfw5IgLYzCwIvOMwCLcBGAsYHQ/s3000-h/The-Hartford-Courant-November-23-1963.jpg

David Von Pein

Jan 16, 2021, 9:28:40 PM1/16/21

David Von Pein

Jan 16, 2021, 9:28:43 PM1/16/21

John Corbett

Jan 18, 2021, 8:42:06 PM1/18/21
On Saturday, January 16, 2021 at 9:28:43 PM UTC-5, David Von Pein wrote:
> https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zx1N_fZ1yXA/YAN60dq1EFI/AAAAAAABXVU/wM4RYbTE8egxuHHq4bd1uic_uzHCKIAbgCLcBGAsYHQ/s3000-h/Palladium-Item-November-30-1961.jpg

I found the secondary story about John Glenn being named the pilot for the
first orbital flight by an American man even more interesting with Scott
Carpenter as his back up. Also the story about Deke Slayton being named
the pilot for the subsequent mission is interesting because Slayton got
grounded due to a medical condition and replaced by Wally Schirra. He was
the only one of the the original seven Mercury astronauts not to fly a
mission during the program. Instead he took over the role of assigning the
astronauts to each flight, a role he held into the Apollo program. He
finally got his chance to fly into space more than a decade later during
the joint Apollo-Soyuz mission in which an Apollo command module linked up
with a Soviet capsule.

People who weren't alive at the time don't understand what celebrities the
original seven Mercury astronauts were. Whenever there was a launch, their
missions were covered on live TV from countdown to liftoff to reentry and
splashdown. That ended when the last few Mercury missions became all day
affairs and then the Gemini missions lasted several days. Live coverage of
the launches continued into the Apollo program.

David Von Pein

Jan 18, 2021, 10:17:51 PM1/18/21

John Corbett

Jan 19, 2021, 12:07:39 PM1/19/21
Mine is 11/28/1951

My mother saved the Time magazine issue for the week I and all my brothers
and sisters were born. It makes for an interesting mini-time capsule. I
have it packed away somewhere. The one thing I remember from it was an ad
for atomic energy and it had a drawing of a mushroom cloud in the
background.

John Corbett

Jan 19, 2021, 12:07:43 PM1/19/21
On Monday, January 18, 2021 at 10:17:51 PM UTC-5, David Von Pein wrote:
Not surprising that WWII is still dominating the news two months after the
surrender by Japan. What caught my eye is the story by the Japanese
admiral who said Japan planned to issue a formal declaration of war before
the attack commenced. This was shown in the movie Tora, Tora, Tora.
Because the communique was top secret, the diplomats had to type up the
documents themselves rather than use an experienced typist. This caused a
delay in the presentation to our State Department so it was not delivered
until after the attack had begun.

> If anybody else wants to provide their birth date, I'll find a paper from
> that day. (Just for fun.)
>
> Here's mine:
>
> https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ybrXfmQitFE/YAZJBniQ1WI/AAAAAAABXWM/MQgSsgMjBzI4sj-chB9yrXVYSEaTaf3ewCLcBGAsYHQ/s4000-h/Palladium-Item-December-27-1961.jpg

You have the same birthday as my twin sisters. They were born in 1953.

Where as WWII still dominated the news on John McAdams birthday, the Cold
War seems to be the dominant theme on your birthday. I'm wondering if the
uprising in Algiers was fostered by the Reds or was it a purely Moslem
nationalist movement.

John Corbett

Jan 19, 2021, 3:55:48 PM1/19/21
On Monday, January 18, 2021 at 10:17:51 PM UTC-5, David Von Pein wrote:
You got me curious enough to do my own search and found the following fee
service for archived newspapers:

https://www.newspapers.com/search/

They offer a one week free trial and if you keep it, the charge is $7.95 a
month. Already I have discovered the newspapers on the day I was born were
reporting a cease fire in Korea (11/28/1951). If I was Marsh, I would take
credit for that.

John Corbett

Jan 19, 2021, 8:23:41 PM1/19/21
Thanks for that David. It's easy to tell which were morning papers and
which were evening papers. The morning papers were reporting Korea truce
talks had stalled while the two evening papers indicated a ceasefire
agreement had been reached.

John Corbett

Jan 19, 2021, 8:23:43 PM1/19/21
Turns out this newspaper archive service is part of ancestry.com. The free
one week trial does not allow viewing of full pages and the Terms of
Service make it difficult to figure out how to cancel so I passed on
signing up for the free week. Normally I automatically click that I have
read the Terms of Service even though I don't (who does?) but when it's a
free trial that requires cancellation to avoid being billed, I make sure I
fully understand how to cancel. This website seems to have deliberately
made that process confusing.

David Von Pein

Jan 19, 2021, 8:23:49 PM1/19/21
On Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 3:55:48 PM UTC-5, John Corbett wrote:
> You got me curious enough to do my own search and found the following fee
> service for archived newspapers:
>
> https://www.newspapers.com/search/
>
> They offer a one week free trial and if you keep it, the charge is $7.95 a month.

That's the precise service I have been using. It's got me hooked on
looking up old newspapers. I pretty much like everything "old" anyway, so
this service is right up my alley. And since they have my own hometown
paper going back over 100 years, it's even more ideal. The charge isn't
$7.95, though. I paid $19.90 for a month.

John Corbett

Jan 19, 2021, 8:23:52 PM1/19/21
On Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 3:55:52 PM UTC-5, David Von Pein wrote:
> A few front pages for John C.:
>
> https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-AG_ZxvdLvbg/YAc5MMYmaGI/AAAAAAABXW8/qt4He4sAhhUI4ejU6CG2nWWm_SIrb6aZQCLcBGAsYHQ/s3000-h/Pittsburgh-Press-November-28-1951.jpg

I looked a little closer at this issue and found a story that hit home to
me. If is the one about Joseph T. Ferguson. The reason this hits home is
because he was the Auditor of the State of Ohio at the time. He held that
office off and on from the late 1930s until 1975. In 1975 his son Thomas
E. Ferguson took office and held it until 1995 when a sexual scandal
prevented him from seeking another term. Soon after Ohio passed term
limits on state office holders. I went to work for Thomas E. Ferguson in
1977 and spent the bulk of my working life employed by the Auditor's
office including the Republican who succeeded Ferguson who got swept into
office as part of the 1994 Republican landslide. I never worked for Old
Man Joe as he was referred to but heard plenty of stories. He ruled the
office with an iron hand and employees were expected to "donate" 2% of
their salary to his reelection fund, a practice which his son continued.

Here is the Wiki article about the Ferguson dynasty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_T._Ferguson

In 1974 he was sued by the ACLU for withholding payments for abortions for
welfare recipients. Can you imagine any Democrat doing that today?

Anthony Marsh

Jan 19, 2021, 9:54:13 PM1/19/21
I was able to find s bookstore on Becon Hill which sold original
magazines.

David Von Pein

Jan 20, 2021, 7:59:10 AM1/20/21
On Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 8:23:43 PM UTC-5, John Corbett wrote:
> Turns out this newspaper archive service is part of ancestry.com. The free
> one week trial does not allow viewing of full pages and the Terms of
> Service make it difficult to figure out how to cancel so I passed on
> signing up for the free week. Normally I automatically click that I have
> read the Terms of Service even though I don't (who does?) but when it's a
> free trial that requires cancellation to avoid being billed, I make sure I
> fully understand how to cancel. This website seems to have deliberately
> made that process confusing.

You're mistaken, John. The free 7-day trial definitely *does* allow
viewing of full pages, because I took advantage of that free trial last
July and had full access to their 600-million+ pages. And, yes, the
"cancel" button is a bit confusing, but I can tell you where to find it.
It's on the "Account Details" page. After going there, click "Subscription
& Payment". Once you land on that page, you'll see a link on the right
that says "Cancel and End Subscription". Click that and you're all set.

I'm not sure if I'll cancel when my current month is used up or not. I've
renewed it 3 times now. I think I'm becoming addicted. It's a very fine
service. I just wish they'd keep the old version of their search engine.
It makes it very easy to find stuff. They keep saying they're going to a
"new" Search feature by default, but so far the old one still works.
(Which is OK by me.)

I'd like to get that $7.95 deal you spoke of before, John. Are you sure
you read that right? As a current subscriber, I can't see the current
rates until my subscription expires.

David Von Pein

Jan 20, 2021, 7:59:29 AM1/20/21
Hey, John C.! Is this you in these 1976 newspaper photos (during your
minor league umpiring days)? ....

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2_30NyxFGes/YAetT7wKsAI/AAAAAAABXXY/FmPQp46IiMIiRd6Kqw_6Ox-TCKHUDe22gCLcBGAsYHQ/s3000-h/Daily-Press-Newport-News-Va-May-3-1976.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-DT6g8s1HlrU/YAeqZt0xImI/AAAAAAABXXM/-ipR3FB10cMfEwykjIIxOWMzb0pxEnPJACLcBGAsYHQ/s3000-h/Daily-Press-Newport-News-Va-May-17-1976.jpg

As a 1970s-era baseball buff, I recognize a couple of names on the rosters
of those minor league teams mentioned in the above articles---Keith
Moreland and Ed Whitson---who would both go on to play in the major
leagues with some success. Moreland, in fact, was a very fine hitter for
several years for the Cubs after he left the Phillies.

Unlike John C., I never managed to get my picture in the paper in
connection with my baseball "career" (which consisted of four seasons in
the "Optimist League" in the 1970s). But it's fun to search for all of my
Little League box scores that my hometown paper would (incredibly) print
each summer. My name got into many of those. And they actually spelled my
name *right* most of the time too. (Hard to believe.) :-) ....

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ibdiK9BCRn4/YAewQC8BT6I/AAAAAAABXXg/BUK4O1UIJzYcbvo0CHNRgkTEFCqw6ov-wCLcBGAsYHQ/s3000-h/Palladium-Item-June-20-1974.jpg

Thanks, Prof. McAdams, for letting us ramble on for a while on off-topic
subjects. But it's fun going through the old papers and finding hidden
gems---like those two John Corbett umpiring pictures above.

I've been able to download and save dozens of old clippings from my
hometown paper in recent months, thanks to that Newspapers.com online
service. I'm amazed at how many times, as a kid, my name (and the names of
my family members) actually got into the paper. It's probably because I
come from a pretty small town, but my paper would even print the names of
every student in junior high school who made the honor roll. (Fortunately,
I made the list a few times too.) I even got my picture in my local paper
once---in 1973. (It wasn't baseball-related.)

I'm still searching for all those nearly-forgotten youthful photos of W.
Anthony Marsh, Professor McAdams, Jason Burke, David Emerling, Jean
Davison (and others) that might be hiding inside an old edition of a U.S.
newspaper from 1971 someplace. 😉

David Von Pein

Jan 20, 2021, 7:59:29 AM1/20/21

David Von Pein

Jan 20, 2021, 7:59:29 AM1/20/21

David Von Pein

Jan 20, 2021, 12:51:22 PM1/20/21

John Corbett

Jan 20, 2021, 12:51:27 PM1/20/21
That would be me on in both photos. That was my last year in pro baseball.
This was the Carolina League. That was the setting for the movie Bull
Durham although most of the parks in that movie were not in the league
when I worked. I think the only one was the one in Newport News and they
were called the Peninsula Pilots. What I noticed in the photos is that I
am wearing two different uniforms. That is because in 1976 they changed
our uniforms from a light blue shirt with dark gray pants to a navy blue
polo shirt with very light gray pants. They appear white in the photo.
Given the date I think our new uniforms had just arrived shortly before
the picture was taken.

What struck me about the first article is it mentioned Ed Whitson pitching
a shutout the day before. I remember that game well because I was behind
the plate for that one and it was the fastest 9 inning game I ever worked,
an hour and twenty minutes. Ed Whitson of course went on to have a decent
big league career. He was with the Pirates farm system then but he played
with the Padres too and I think the Yankees although my memory of that is
a little unclear. He ended up retiring to Dublin, OH, a suburb of Columbus
and serving as an assistant coach for one of the Dublin High School teams.
I ran across him a few times before I hung it up for good. He didn't
remember me which is not surprising but we talked about those days back in
the Carolina League. He was on a team that had some odd characters. There
were two guys on that team who were career A ballers. It's not unusual for
an A ball club to keep some long time veterans on the roster because most
of them have only a manager and maybe one coach. Those veterans function
as assistant coaches.

I remember a couple instances where there was a photo in the newspaper
that showed I had clearly missed the call and I was afraid you had dug up
one of those. I could tell you where to look for those but I don't want to
make it easy for you.

One more note. In the movie Bull Durham, the clown Max Patkin played
himself. I had worked with him the year before in the Midwest League and
did some schtick with him. It was in Wausau, Wisconsin and the northern
end of the league. About 6:00 we got a gully washer of a thunderstorm and
we were sure the game was going to be called off which was good because we
have a long drive after the game to get to our next town. We went to the
park expecting to get the official word. The field was underwater. The GM
came to me and said, "John, you're going to think I'm crazy, but we're
going to play tonight.". I said "Mike, I think you're crazy.". He said,
"John, you don't understand. We brought Max Patkin in and we have to pay
him $800 whether we play or not, We're going to play.". The game wa
supposed to start at 7:30 but it was 9:00 before they got the field
marginally playable. By this time all the fans who had brought their
little kids were POed and not in good humor. His act was bombing with
them. About the fifth inning I played the straight man for one of his
routines and after he delivered the punchline he turned to me and said,
"That's the first laugh I've got tonight.".

A few years later he made an appearance on To Tell the Truth and I won a
sucker bet with a couple of my buddies because I recognized him. After
they paid up, I fessed up and gave them their money back.

John Corbett

Jan 20, 2021, 12:51:32 PM1/20/21
I'm about 90% certain the introductory rate was $7.95. I might give it
another shot and find out for sure.

I forgot to thank you for posting those old pictures of my days in the
minor leagues. I didn't make a habit of reading the local papers so I
don't recall having seen them before.

I need to correct one thing I stated in my other reply. I said that Ed
Whitson had pitched a 9 inning shutout in an hour and twenty minutes. I
see from reading the story it was part of a doubleheader so we would have
only played two seven inning games. Still a buck twenty for a seven inning
game is excellent time. Typically they would last two to two and a half
hours.

John Corbett

Jan 20, 2021, 12:51:38 PM1/20/21
On Wednesday, January 20, 2021 at 7:59:29 AM UTC-5, David Von Pein wrote:
> https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LMyJYRaOeJs/YAfRNdDfMKI/AAAAAAABXX4/-tc-A5d4l9UeCWii3-OkYQ1ys80ARmGXQCLcBGAsYHQ/s3000-h/Fort-Worth-Star-Telegram-November-20-1983.jpg

Interesting that in 1983 it was still speculation that JFK had an affair
with Marylyn Monroe. I think today it is pretty widely accepted as fact.

John Corbett

Jan 20, 2021, 8:29:49 PM1/20/21
Here's something you might find interesting (or not). A few years ago I
spent about a week in Galway, Ireland. I picked up a copy of the local
paper to find out what was going on in the world, particularly the world
of sports and specifically the Open Championship golf tournament. I was
amazed to find out 100% of the paper was devoted to local news. Not a
single word about anything that happened outside County Galway. Apparently
the locals now rely on TV and internet to find out what is going on
outside their county, if in fact they even care.

David Von Pein

Jan 20, 2021, 8:29:52 PM1/20/21
On Wednesday, January 20, 2021 at 12:51:32 PM UTC-5, John Corbett wrote:
> I'm about 90% certain the introductory rate was $7.95.

Yes, you're right. I just remembered they have 2 sign-up plans. The $7.95
version is for just the "Basic" plan, which includes fewer papers than the
one I'm on now, which is called "Publisher Extra".

Anthony Marsh

Jan 21, 2021, 9:29:30 AM1/21/21
I thought I aldeady posted mine.

> Davison (and others) that might be hiding inside an old edition of a U.S.
> newspaper from 1971 someplace. ????

John Corbett

Jan 21, 2021, 9:29:32 AM1/21/21
After looking at the box score of the second game of the double header, it
appears I now need to make a correction to the correction. The official
game time for that game is 1:21 but that's not the game I worked the plate
and not the one that Ed Whitson pitched. I'm guessing that I conflated the
game time for the second game with first one. It would make sense that I
would be more apt to remember the game time of the second one since the
base umpire was responsible for timing the game. We had to fill out a
report for each game and that is why we timed the game. I had the game
time at 1:20 while the official scorer timed it at 1:21. Too bad they only
printed the box score for the second game. I'm curious what the box score
would have shown for that first game but it doesn't appear that's
available.

The box score for the game also lists my partner and me. The plate umpire
is listed first and his name was Pete Calieri. He was from Buffalo and
several years after he left pro baseball, he landed a non-speaking role as
one of the umpires in the movie The Natural which was filmed in the old
Buffalo ballpark. He's the one you see throwing Wilford Brimley out of a
game. He was one of four umpires I worked with who landed roles as umpires
in major motion pictures. Joe West was my spring training partner in 1975
and he had a role in one of the Naked Gun movies. My crew chief at my
first spring training was Rich Garcia and he was the first base umpire in
the Kevin Costner movie, For the Love of the Game. The plate umpire was
Rick Reed. I never partnered with Rick but he and I were joined at the hip
our first three years working the same league. In 1976 we were both
promoted to the Double A Eastern league before spring training. About
halfway through spring training I got a notice that I had been reassigned
to the Class A Carolina league which was a major disappointment. At the
time there were two Canadian minor league umpires who the previous year
had been unable to work because our State Department was playing games
with their work visas. Apparently it got worked out and they were both at
the Double A level so that bumped me down to Class A. Rick stayed in the
Eastern League and went on to have a nice career in the big leagues. While
he was never my regular partner, there were a couple occasions when the
league shuffled crews for a series and I worked a couple of games with
him. Who knows what might have happened if I had been the one who stayed
at the Double A level instead of Rick. We'll never know.

John Corbett

Jan 21, 2021, 3:45:54 PM1/21/21
The first paragraph of my post is a good illustration of how false
memories get created. I distinctly remembered two events from that
afternoon back in 1976. I remembered working the plate for Ed Whitson's
shutout and I remembered our one hour and twenty minute game and somehow
over those years those two got merged into one event when in reality they
were two different games of the same doubleheader. This jumbling of events
can happen both for short term and long term memories. People remember
pieces of events but they don't always reassemble those pieces in the
correct order. Nellie Connally was correct about the things she observed
in the limo but she didn't get them in the correct order and failed to
realize her husband and JFK had been struck by the same bullet.

One other odd coincidence. The Naked Gun movie which I mentioned my former
partner Joe West had appeared in was played last night on the MLB network.
I recorded it and will watch it later. As I remember, the Angels were the
home team but were playing in Dodger Stadium. Joe West was a National
League umpire at the time but he was wearing an American League cap. About
20 years ago the umpires were merged into a single crew under the office
of the Commissioner and the league offices and league presidents were
abolished.

David Von Pein

Jan 22, 2021, 1:22:05 AM1/22/21

John Corbett

Jan 22, 2021, 1:43:29 PM1/22/21
I was reading the article about the California primary result. A lot of
people falsely believe it made RFK the front runner. The reality is that
they were fighting for second place. Hubert Humphrey who got in late when
LBJ dropped out had bypassed the primaries and was gathering delegates the
old fashioned way through state conventions which is where most delegates
were still chosen. The article indicates that RFK had proposed that he and
McCarthy ally to challenge Humphrey. Naturally RFK meant for them to ally
behind him which of course McCarthy rejected. . Had RFK lived, there was a
real chance there might have been a brokered convention with three viable
candidates still in the race. After RFK's death, some of his delegates
switched to Humphrey making the outcome a foregone conclusion.

> https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zKV4YvcN5hg/XzLdn40maxI/AAAAAAABV7c/IPZ86VqAO1QIHZauuwAObj8hRr3EUXRbACLcBGAsYHQ/s3000-h/Tallahassee-Democrat-Jun-6-1968.jpg

David Von Pein

Jan 23, 2021, 9:11:27 AM1/23/21

John Corbett

Jan 23, 2021, 3:50:46 PM1/23/21
I remember that episode. Blood clots in the veins is a condition that is
potentially fatal if they reach the heart. It claimed the life of actor
Dan Blocker after what should have been a routine surgery. The same thing
almost took my father's life after his surgery. Barry Goldwater later
developed phlebitis and was in a great deal of pain when Hubert Humphrey's
funeral was held. The entire body of the Senate was going to march in a
procession behind the hearse. Because of his condition, Goldwater was
offered a ride but he refused. He wrote in his memoir that he would have
crawled on his hands and knees to honor Humphrey whom he had a close
friendship with despite their political differences. Goldwater wrote,
"Hubert was a clean fighter.".

Anthony Marsh

Jan 24, 2021, 4:36:59 PM1/24/21
So if you guys are going to talk about baseball here, can I even mention
the facr that Hank Aaron just died? And naturally that leads to a
disccussion of racism. And then I accidentally type in BLM instead of
MLB abd blame it on my new keyboard?
BTW, talking about baseball and Presidents, which President do you tink
did the best job of tthrowing out the first pitch?
For extea credit, if Castro had ben hired as a major league pitcher,
don't you think he would be here piching instead of leading the
revolution in Cuba?

David Von Pein

Jan 24, 2021, 8:59:22 PM1/24/21
On Sunday, January 24, 2021 at 4:36:59 PM UTC-5, Anthony Marsh wrote:
> BTW, talking about baseball and Presidents, which President do you
> [think] did the best job of throwing out the first pitch?

Jimmy Carter's toss before Game 6 of the 1995 World Series might be the
best ceremonial first pitch by a President (or ex-President, as is the
case here):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GVedcxCQa0i8AJTlF5ZKbmlu9gh0t2Z1/view

And I remember seeing a really good toss made by George W. Bush several
years ago too. And I think Reagan made some pretty good "first pitches" as
well.

JFK might have the record for the longest first pitch, on Opening Day
1961:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzEbCwH8buS1RXBRRS1PbE1CNzA/view

John Corbett

Jan 24, 2021, 8:59:33 PM1/24/21
On Sunday, January 24, 2021 at 4:36:59 PM UTC-5, Anthony Marsh wrote:
You just did.

> And naturally that leads to a
> disccussion of racism. And then I accidentally type in BLM instead of
> MLB abd blame it on my new keyboard?
> BTW, talking about baseball and Presidents, which President do you tink
> did the best job of tthrowing out the first pitch?
> For extea credit, if Castro had ben hired as a major league pitcher,
> don't you think he would be here piching instead of leading the
> revolution in Cuba?

Castro's pitching prowess has been greatly overstated. There is a myth
that he was once in the Yankee farm system but the reality is he pitched
intramural baseball at the University of Havana because he wasn't good
enough to play on the varsity.

When Castro took over in Cuba, Havana was still a member of the AAA
International League. One of my supervisors when I was in the minors told
us about working in Havana when Fidel came out to pitch an exhibition
inning. He bounced the first pitch which was called a ball and he heard an
automatic weapon being fired from the dugout. The next pitch was over the
batter's head and was called a strike.

John Corbett

Jan 25, 2021, 12:20:39 AM1/25/21
He wasn't a POTUS but Nolan Ryan's first pitch was the first one that
needed a radar gun.

Anthony Marsh

Jan 25, 2021, 3:55:58 PM1/25/21
On 1/6/2021 2:18 PM, Martin Caidin wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 6, 2021 at 9:49:44 AM UTC-5, David Von Pein wrote:
>> https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-w3iYTdq8XWU/X_UzLBCZ__I/AAAAAAABXN8/4fF1lUAet7Q1crydKHAG83FncQzRTlOoQCLcBGAsYHQ/s3000-h/The-Longview-Texas-Daily-News-Nov-14-1949--Dealey-Statue-To-Be-Unveiled.jpg
>
> A statue of a white man in the South? Why that's objectively racist! Only
> a matter of time before leftists call for its removal - peaceably or
> otherwise.

So, I guess you approve of racism if you revere Confederate heroes.
why not a statue of Hitler then?

Anthony Marsh

Jan 25, 2021, 3:56:01 PM1/25/21
Has anyone accidentally hit a fan in the stands with the opening day
pitch?

David Von Pein

Jan 27, 2021, 6:33:36 AM1/27/21

David Von Pein

Jan 27, 2021, 6:33:39 AM1/27/21

John Corbett

Jan 27, 2021, 1:53:02 PM1/27/21
On Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 6:33:36 AM UTC-5, David Von Pein wrote:
> https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-EN0uhhb3akQ/YBELJ0mofnI/AAAAAAABXY8/Vw8O7tNHzbskaNefmoZ_1llWUKIHw8_kACLcBGAsYHQ/s900/December-18-1960---RFKs-Wife-Admits-Speeding-Charge.jpg

WOW! $40 for speeding in 1960. My inflation calculator tells me that would
equate to $349.74 in today's dollars. That seems excessive although 70 mph
in a 40 mph zone seems excessive too. Ethel must have had a lead foot.
Also surprising it says she was arrested rather than just issued a
speeding ticket. I wonder if that was the norm when the speed was that
much over the posted limit.

John Corbett

Jan 27, 2021, 1:53:04 PM1/27/21
On Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 6:33:43 AM UTC-5, David Von Pein wrote:
> https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-W1eEbgOOCLg/YBElTdGccbI/AAAAAAABXZc/w7z4-twUGVoUlLAirKD5TlmndZ_AbEQYACLcBGAsYHQ/s3000-h/The-Iola-Kansas-Register-January-6-1962---News-Events-Of-1961-In-Picture-Review.jpg

Great stuff. Interesting to see all that happened in 1961, some of which I
remember and some of which I don't. I distinctly remember that photo of an
East German soldier bolting to freedom across the East/West barrier in
Berlin because it appeared in our history book a few years later. This was
shortly before the Berlin Wall was erected. How could they tell the story
of 1961 and not mention Roger Maris?

> https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lIzdLJ1TVfw/YBElTev-gdI/AAAAAAABXZY/q_Zx9BjAtasLOolqXKXfi15gi9r1t0hWACLcBGAsYHQ/s3000-h/The-Hays-Kansas-Daily-News-December-27-1962---News-Events-Of-1962-In-Picture-Review.jpg

The CMC was undoubtedly the biggest story of 1962. Two photos related to
the space race. Then there was Nixon's defeat. Interesting in noting it
was Nixon's "final" press conference they put the word "final" in quotes
which indicates to me even then they were skeptical that he was really
through as a political figure.

> https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TBDRJOFetcQ/YBElTAZZvSI/AAAAAAABXZU/oGJr-1Q8BCArsUvYIrs0gg4l0oFRni89wCLcBGAsYHQ/s3000-h/The-Brattleboro-Vermont-Daily-Reformer-December-27-1963---News-Events-Of-1963-In-Picture-Review.jpg

No question what the top story in 1963 was. I had forgotten that Pope John
XXIII had died earlier that year after a short reign. I remember he was
elected when I was in the second grade and at the end of my sixth grade
year, he had been hospitalized and was clearly at death's door. He died
shortly after the school year ended.

John Corbett

Jan 27, 2021, 1:53:07 PM1/27/21
On Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 6:33:39 AM UTC-5, David Von Pein wrote:
> https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wJoMAtqNVbE/YBESpMD9YyI/AAAAAAABXZI/yXVURi4jXAs16fgkB3Wyz50orWL92Y8zACLcBGAsYHQ/s3000-h/Palladium-Item-December-18-1960---News-Events-Of-1960-In-Picture-Review.jpg

The one story that jumped out at me was that of Caryl Chessman. Hard to
believe that at one time we executed people for offenses less than murder.
I had always believed he was executed for rape but the caption reads he
was sentenced to die for kidnapping under the Lindbergh Law. It seems
stunning to me that they law had been repealed after this conviction but
his death sentence was not commuted for a crime that was no longer a
capital offense. I remember Alan Alda playing him in a made for TV movie.

David Von Pein

Jan 27, 2021, 7:33:56 PM1/27/21
On Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 1:53:02 PM UTC-5, John Corbett wrote:
> Also surprising it says she was arrested rather than just issued a speeding
ticket. I wonder if that was the norm when the speed was that much over
the posted limit.

I, too, thought the word "arrested" in that article was kind of strange. I
would think she would have merely been issued a speeding ticket, instead
of actually being "arrested". Although there might be video footage
somewhere of Ethel being dragged out of her car and slapped into handcuffs
and put into a police car by a mean cop named Lt. Philip Gerard. But I
kinda doubt that happened. 😁

Also, if Ethel had actually been "arrested", wouldn't *she herself* have
had to at least go to court to plead guilty or not guilty? It says in the
article that she didn't appear in person. Her lawyer did.

Anyway, I thought some people here might get a kick out of that small
clipping about a Kennedy getting into some trouble with the law just prior
to Ethel's husband becoming the top law enforcement official in the land.
(Kind of ironic, isn't it?)

John Corbett

Jan 28, 2021, 8:12:11 PM1/28/21
I have some experience with traffic tickets and in every case I was given
the option of admitting guilt, signing the back of the ticket, and
enclosing a check for the amount of the fine. This is almost always
preferable to fighting the charge in court because then you not only end
up paying the fine but also court costs.

If you go to court and it's your word against the cop's, the judge is
probably going to side with the cop. This got me to wondering what the
burden of proof is for a traffic citation. If it is a civil action,
preponderance of evidence is the standard but if it is a criminal charge,
it should require proof beyond a reasonable doubt. I decided to google to
find out which it is. It turns out it could be either. Most traffic
citations are civil charges so preponderance of evidence is all that is
needed for a finding of guilt and the judge is probably going to find the
cop more believable than you if you fight the ticket. However serious
traffic offenses are criminal charges and require proof beyond a
reasonable doubt. According to the following website, these would include:

https://www.wisemantriallaw.com/blog/2012/august/the-difference-between-a-civil-traffic-ticket-ci/#:~:text=A%20traffic%20ticket%20is%20simply%20a%20form%20given,a%20nonmoving%20offense%20like%20a%20parking%20meter%20violation.

Reckless driving
Driving with a suspended license
Driving without a valid license
Hit and run
Being a HTO or habitual traffic offender
Vehicular homicide or manslaughter
Careless driving
Leaving the scene of an accident
Attempting to elude law enforcement

I'm just guessing but maybe when the speed is that excessive, 70 mph in a
40 mph, it rises to the level of reckless driving and thus a criminal
charge and possibly calls for the suspect to be arrested. I'm just
speculating but it probably varies from one jurisdiction to another.

David Von Pein

Feb 11, 2021, 9:17:22 PM2/11/21

David Von Pein

Feb 26, 2021, 5:14:56 PM2/26/21

David Von Pein

Mar 13, 2021, 2:51:21 PM3/13/21
Here's something that I found quite interesting (perhaps only because I'm
familiar with this radio station) ..... it's the 40th Anniversary of WLW
Radio in Cincinnati (which was an anniversary that occurred right in the
middle of JFK's term as President, which can add the "JFK-related" flavor
to this post). A lot of well-known personalities got their start at "The
Nation's Station" (WLW), as we learn in this article below. And I also
learned something I didn't know before today --- that WLW (as of 1962) had
a television affiliate located all the way down in Atlanta, Georgia
(WLWA-TV)....

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-21_dRd_HjDQ/YEznU2hJfHI/AAAAAAABXgI/HI7poO1jVzQ3Lp8T2K3nsX1kdnQOus3cwCLcBGAsYHQ/s4000-h/The-Cincinnati-Enquirer-March-22-1962--WLW-40th-Anniversary.jpg

John Corbett

Mar 13, 2021, 10:41:25 PM3/13/21
I remember this becoming Avco Broadcasting which was a regional network in
Ohio and Indiana. In Columbus where I lived the NBC TV affiliate was WLWC.
Local programming produced by one of the TV stations was shared across the
network. Each had their own daytime talk show. Cincinnati had Ruth Lyons
50-50 club which was later taken over by Bob Braun. Indianapolis had Paul
Dixon. Phil Donahue started his long running program with the Dayton
station. In Columbus we had a guy named Spook Beckman and later Nick
Clooney, father of George, had his own show in Columbus.

Avco sold off its broadcasting holdings in the 1970s. WLWC became WCMH,
using the CMH code for the Columbus airport. I found this history about
Avco/Crosley:

https://www.mobilewiki.org/en/Avco_Broadcasting-6048804688

David Von Pein

Mar 14, 2021, 6:11:03 PM3/14/21
Just one small correction to John Corbett's last post..... Paul Dixon's
show wasn't done from Indianapolis. It was done in Cincinnati.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Dixon_Show

John Corbett

Mar 14, 2021, 10:54:50 PM3/14/21
Maybe someday I'll learn to fact check instead of relying on my memories.
That will probably happen some time after I start proof reading my posts.
I don't know why I thought his show originated in Indianapolis but I would
have bet my house on it. I never watched the show other than to catch a
few minutes while channel surfing. Of all the shows I mentioned, Phil
Donahue's was the only one I thought was worth watching. I thought he did
a better show out of Dayton than when he moved to Chicago and took his
show national, eventually ending up in New York. After he went national he
seemed more inclined to do ratings grabbing shows rather than intelligent
discussions of current topics. He called those T and A shows for tits and
ass. He claimed he only did about one of those a week but I don't recall
him doing those at all in Dayton. Eventually he began losing the ratings
war to people like Oprah and the cesspool of tabloid TV with the likes of
people like Jerry Springer, the former mayor of Cincinnati and one time
gubernatorial candidate in Ohio. I think it was 1982 that he was locked in
a five way battle for the Democrat nomination for governor in Ohio when it
was revealed he had spent time with a prostitute. He fessed up and
admitted it but the damage was done and so was his political career. I'm
sure he made way more money with his trash TV show than he ever would have
made in politics.

I didn't fact check the Jerry Springer story but I'm pretty sure I got it
right.

John Corbett

Mar 14, 2021, 10:54:53 PM3/14/21
On Sunday, March 14, 2021 at 6:11:03 PM UTC-4, David Von Pein wrote:
One other question. Did the Cincinnati affiliate pick up Spook Beckman's
Coffee Club. I just assumed that since Columbus was picking up daytime
talk shows from other Avco affiliates that his show was being aired
elsewhere to. I don't think his show lasted that long. He was a local DJ
who got tabbed to make the move to TV. This is the only documentation I
could find about that show:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_iDyl--8nm80/TBmQom5gDjI/AAAAAAAAA3M/r6y_pOhcSmw/s400/spook.png

Eventually he was replaced by Nick Clooney who only stayed in Columbus
about a year before taking his show to Cincinnati. It seemed like WLW-C
spent more time promoting his show than it lasted in Columbus. They kept
running promos that said "Clooney is coming" to which most people in
Columbus responded by saying "Who the (bleep) is Clooney?".

David Von Pein

Mar 15, 2021, 7:02:42 PM3/15/21
On Sunday, March 14, 2021 at 10:54:53 PM UTC-4, John Corbett wrote:
> Did the Cincinnati affiliate pick up Spook Beckman's Coffee Club[?]

I haven't the foggiest. I've never heard of The Spookster before.
😁

But I did find this snippet in a 1968 issue of The Cincinnati Enquirer
concerning Mr. Spook (er, Beckman):

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KSPZPZUWErg/YE7bMI5jWlI/AAAAAAABXhI/BPxfrgDqM78TOO39Xs46-EgACrQTHV7mACLcBGAsYHQ/s5000-h/The-Cincinnati-Enquirer-March-21-1968.jpg

Please also note the error in the column regarding Jack Benny's recent TV
special. It claims Benny's home city is Waukegan, WISCONSIN, instead of
the proper state of Illinois. As Jack would say ---- "Well...!"

John Corbett

Mar 16, 2021, 11:23:21 AM3/16/21
On Monday, March 15, 2021 at 7:02:42 PM UTC-4, David Von Pein wrote:
> On Sunday, March 14, 2021 at 10:54:53 PM UTC-4, John Corbett wrote:
> > Did the Cincinnati affiliate pick up Spook Beckman's Coffee Club[?]
>
> I haven't the foggiest. I've never heard of The Spookster before.
> 😁
>
> But I did find this snippet in a 1968 issue of The Cincinnati Enquirer
> concerning Mr. Spook (er, Beckman):
>
> https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KSPZPZUWErg/YE7bMI5jWlI/AAAAAAABXhI/BPxfrgDqM78TOO39Xs46-EgACrQTHV7mACLcBGAsYHQ/s5000-h/The-Cincinnati-Enquirer-March-21-1968.jpg

Well at least on this one my memory was accurate. Apparently Nick Clooney
didn't care much for Columbus because he returned to Cincinnati after just
a year. Son George was just a schoolboy then. I checked his Wiki biography
and I am familiar with the Catholic school he attended that one year he
lived in Columbus.

Nick Clooney went on to host a short lived game show called The Money
Maze. After that fell through he became a local news anchor in Los Angeles
and that no doubt was a big help in George getting into the acting
business.

David Von Pein

Mar 29, 2021, 7:27:09 AM3/29/21

John Corbett

Mar 29, 2021, 8:35:05 PM3/29/21
On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 7:27:09 AM UTC-4, David Von Pein wrote:
> Fort Worth, Tex.; Nov. 18, 1963....
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z9Nj9yGBTc9XKads6qluRhxbYoMUSqGz/view

Should we attach any significance to the fact that Jack and Jackie
apparently were sleeping in separate bedrooms?

David Von Pein

Apr 14, 2021, 5:16:57 PM4/14/21
The Kennedys In New York + Boeing's New 727 Makes Its Maiden Flight....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BtI5nXospF-E_E4TMnBvoaptChNxABOt/view