Charles Rogers and the "Ice Box Murders"

Dave Reitzes

May 12, 2008, 11:36:05 PM5/12/08
I justed finished reading THE ICE BOX MURDERS by Hugh and Martha Gardenier
(Victoria, Texas: Rosebud Publishing Co., 2003). It concerns the
incredibly gruesome, unsolved 1965 murder of a Houston couple, and the
simultaneous disappearance of the presumed murderer, their son, Charles
Rogers -- identified by some as the short ("Howard Hunt") tramp in the
Dealey Plaza photos. This was the subject of THE MAN ON THE GRASSY KNOLL
by John R. Craig and Philip A. Rogers (New York: Avon, 1992).

Hugh Gardenier researched the subject for many years, and THE ICE BOX
MURDERS presents reasonably plausible explanations of what happened and
why the case was never solved. It's difficult to evaluate the book's
credibility, however, due to a complete lack of source notes (one of the
few obvious traits it has in common with THE MAN ON THE GRASSY KNOLL).
Discouragingly, it is also not techically a work of nonfiction, but
rather, "Based on a True Story." ("The basis for this story is an actual
occurrence, and the events as portrayed are real," the authors state. "For
reasons that are obvious, some of the names of individuals in this story
have been changed.")

Nothing is mentioned about the Dealey Plaza allegations, which, on the one
hand, seems fair enough; but on the other hand, is a bit unsatisfying.

Dave

thali...@hotmail.com

May 13, 2008, 2:25:00 AM5/13/08

Charles Rogers is an exact match with the "Frenchy" Tramp not the Hunt
Tramp (who is NOT Hunt) They even have the same strange indentation or
wrinkly/line on their cheekbones.

Anthony Marsh

May 13, 2008, 10:38:58 AM5/13/08

Nonsense. They were just tramps.

Dave Reitzes

May 13, 2008, 11:38:19 PM5/13/08

You're sure the photos weren't altered?

Dave

thali...@hotmail.com

May 14, 2008, 11:18:14 AM5/14/08
On May 13, 10:38 pm, Anthony Marsh <anthony_ma...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Nonsense. They were just tramps.- Hide quoted text -

The men in the photos are NOT Doyle, Abrams and Gedney. Please do tell
us what you base your knowledge of the tramps on Anthony.

thali...@hotmail.com

May 14, 2008, 11:18:43 AM5/14/08
> Dave- Hide quoted text -

Yes.

Anthony Marsh

May 14, 2008, 12:04:41 PM5/14/08

Silly.

> Dave

thali...@hotmail.com

May 14, 2008, 11:02:15 PM5/14/08
> wrinkly/line on their cheekbones.- Hide quoted text -

I find it interesting that Charles Phillip Rogers (who bears an uncanny
resemblence to the Frenchy tramp) was a geophysisist. Those people are in
the OIL business, which keeps coming up as a link in the research into the
assassination. So a geophysisist just went psycho all of a sudden and
killed his parents. This same man just happens to be in the oil business
and bears a striking resemblance to a suspicious man arrested at the site
of JFK's assassination. This same man was in the Office of Naval
Intelligence in WW11, which then involved into the CIA. This man lived
like a recluse and never married. He had all the attributes of a man
recruited into the CIA.

Dave Reitzes

May 15, 2008, 1:08:31 AM5/15/08
On May 12, 11:36�pm, Dave Reitzes <dreit...@aol.com> wrote:
> I justed finished reading THE ICE BOX MURDERS by Hugh and Martha Gardenier
> (Victoria, Texas: Rosebud Publishing Co., 2003). It concerns the
> incredibly gruesome, unsolved 1965 murder of a Houston couple, and the
> simultaneous disappearance of the presumed murderer, their son, Charles
> Rogers -- identified by some as the short ("Howard Hunt") tramp in the
> Dealey Plaza photos.

Oops, wrong tramp. Rogers was supposed to be the "Frenchy" tramp.
Chauncey Holt was supposed to be the "Howard Hunt" guy.

Anthony Marsh

May 15, 2008, 10:44:53 AM5/15/08

The DPD found the original arrest sheets and then the Fontaines tracked
down the men.

thali...@hotmail.com

May 16, 2008, 10:14:34 AM5/16/08
> down the men.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, but:
There are no arrest fingerprints or mug shots
The tramps do not resemble the men in the photos (including the fact
that facial characteristics like ears have changed significantly over
time, much more so than can be attributed to ageing)
There are no photos of Doyle, Gedney or Abrams at the time of the
assassination or preceding it or a few years after, we only have
photos of them 20 - 30 years later.
Doyle said he was arrested straight after the assassination, the
photographed tramps were arrested after Kennedy was pronounced dead.
The "tramps" and their relatives appeared on a shonky Tabloid Show, "A
Current Affair" which pays people for their interviews, hardly
believable evidence. The Fontaines wanted to sell a book, so they took
the words of the men and their relatives at face value without digging
deeper.

Can you honestly, hands on heart, tell me that Doyle, Gedney and
Abrams resemble the tramps from the photographs?

hugh.ga...@gmail.com

Jul 18, 2014, 12:09:32 AM7/18/14
By way of explanation we started researching and writing "The Ice Box
Murders" in October 1997. It became obvious early in the research that we
could write what we found as an academic-research-sourced book, which no
one would read, or as creative non-fiction. 85% of the material in the
book is fact. It is based on over a hundred interviews of people that were
not contacted by HPD, over a hundred FOIA and TORA requests, and 5+ years
of pouring through thousands of documents. As CPA's and forensic
accountants we do a great deal of litigation support, so we have a clue
with respect to what we are doing. There are many theories about Charles
Rogers; who he was, what he did, what became of him - most of those
theories are based upon assumption, theory, and conjecture and are,
frankly, not readily supportable. We tested many of those theories on the
front-end and decided to write our book based upon our sources and
supportable research. We also had the advantage of being given possession
of many of Charles Rogers books, and personal notes in those books. HPD
never had those items. We've worked on many white-collar crime cases over
the years. A few were high-profile. Early in my career I was involved in
the search for Howard Hughes will. We determined that Charles Rogers'
actions were more like a white-collar criminal than anything else. As such
we followed the money. Our book is now available in the Amazon Kindle
Store and a book website is located at http://iceboxmurders.com

Hugh