Death bed confessions and the JFK assassination

Peter Fokes

Feb 21, 2011, 9:48:32 PM2/21/11
Do we have a complete list anywhere?

:-)

Let me start off with one ... add at your leisure.

<quote on>

[Cord] Meyer held court at the beginning of February 2001 - six weeks
before his death - in the barren dining room of a Washington nursing
home. Propped up in a chair, his glass eye bulging, he struggled to
hold his head aloft. Although he was no longer able to read, the
nurses supplied him with a daily copy of The Washington Post, which he
carried with him wherever he went. "My father died of a heart attack
the same year Mary was killed," he whispered. "It was a bad time." And
what could he say about Mary Meyer? Who had committed such a heinous
crime? "The same sons of bitches," he hissed, "that killed John F.
Kennedy."[11]

<<quote off>

11. C. David Heynmann, "The Georgetown Ladies' Social Club", 2003

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cord_Meyer

Peter Fokes,
Toronto

claviger

Feb 21, 2011, 10:38:25 PM2/21/11

But E Howard Hunt said Cord Meyer ordered the hit on JFK. So is this a
convoluted way for Cord Meyer to confess to the murder of JFK? Don't think
so. What we have here is a case of dueling deathbed confessions. So much
for the conventional theory of deathbed confessions always tell the truth.
To be fair E Howard Hunt never said he had proof Meyer had anything to do
with FranK Sturgis or a plot to kill JFK. It was all speculation on
Hunt's part.

Bud

Feb 21, 2011, 10:38:45 PM2/21/11
On Feb 21, 9:48 pm, Peter Fokes <pfo...@rogers.com> wrote:
> Do we have a complete list anywhere?
>
> :-)
>
> Let me start off with one ... add at your leisure.
>
> <quote on>
>
> [Cord] Meyer held court at the beginning of February 2001 - six weeks
> before his death - in the barren dining room of a Washington nursing
> home. Propped up in a chair, his glass eye bulging, he struggled to
> hold his head aloft. Although he was no longer able to read, the
> nurses supplied him with a daily copy of The Washington Post, which he
> carried with him wherever he went. "My father died of a heart attack
> the same year Mary was killed," he whispered. "It was a bad time." And
> what could he say about Mary Meyer? Who had committed such a heinous
> crime? "The same sons of bitches," he hissed, "that killed John F.
> Kennedy."[11]

How is that a confession?

Anthony Marsh

Feb 22, 2011, 9:19:25 AM2/22/11
On 2/21/2011 10:38 PM, Bud wrote:
> On Feb 21, 9:48 pm, Peter Fokes<pfo...@rogers.com> wrote:
>> Do we have a complete list anywhere?
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> Let me start off with one ... add at your leisure.
>>
>> <quote on>
>>
>> [Cord] Meyer held court at the beginning of February 2001 - six weeks
>> before his death - in the barren dining room of a Washington nursing
>> home. Propped up in a chair, his glass eye bulging, he struggled to
>> hold his head aloft. Although he was no longer able to read, the
>> nurses supplied him with a daily copy of The Washington Post, which he
>> carried with him wherever he went. "My father died of a heart attack
>> the same year Mary was killed," he whispered. "It was a bad time." And
>> what could he say about Mary Meyer? Who had committed such a heinous
>> crime? "The same sons of bitches," he hissed, "that killed John F.
>> Kennedy."[11]
>
> How is that a confession?

Maybe because he knew them personally?

Anthony Marsh

Feb 22, 2011, 9:19:47 AM2/22/11
On 2/21/2011 10:38 PM, claviger wrote:
> On Feb 21, 8:48 pm, Peter Fokes<pfo...@rogers.com> wrote:
>> Do we have a complete list anywhere?
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> Let me start off with one ... add at your leisure.
>>
>> <quote on>
>>
>> [Cord] Meyer held court at the beginning of February 2001 - six weeks
>> before his death - in the barren dining room of a Washington nursing
>> home. Propped up in a chair, his glass eye bulging, he struggled to
>> hold his head aloft. Although he was no longer able to read, the
>> nurses supplied him with a daily copy of The Washington Post, which he
>> carried with him wherever he went. "My father died of a heart attack
>> the same year Mary was killed," he whispered. "It was a bad time." And
>> what could he say about Mary Meyer? Who had committed such a heinous
>> crime? "The same sons of bitches," he hissed, "that killed John F.
>> Kennedy."[11]
>>
>> <<quote off>
>>
>> 11. C. David Heynmann, "The Georgetown Ladies' Social Club", 2003
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cord_Meyer
>>
>> Peter Fokes,
>> Toronto
>
> But E Howard Hunt said Cord Meyer ordered the hit on JFK. So is this a

I don't know that "ordered" is the correct word. How about "coordinated"
or "organized"?

claviger

Feb 22, 2011, 9:20:32 AM2/22/11
Bud,

Actually neither one was a confession. Both were accusations.

Peter Fokes

Feb 22, 2011, 12:56:30 PM2/22/11
On 21 Feb 2011 22:38:25 -0500, claviger <histori...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Feb 21, 8:48 pm, Peter Fokes <pfo...@rogers.com> wrote:
>> Do we have a complete list anywhere?
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> Let me start off with one ... add at your leisure.
>>
>> <quote on>
>>
>> [Cord] Meyer held court at the beginning of February 2001 - six weeks
>> before his death - in the barren dining room of a Washington nursing
>> home. Propped up in a chair, his glass eye bulging, he struggled to
>> hold his head aloft. Although he was no longer able to read, the
>> nurses supplied him with a daily copy of The Washington Post, which he
>> carried with him wherever he went. "My father died of a heart attack
>> the same year Mary was killed," he whispered. "It was a bad time." And
>> what could he say about Mary Meyer? Who had committed such a heinous
>> crime? "The same sons of bitches," he hissed, "that killed John F.
>> Kennedy."[11]
>>
>> <<quote off>
>>
>> 11.  C. David Heynmann, "The Georgetown Ladies' Social Club", 2003
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cord_Meyer
>>
>> Peter Fokes,
>> Toronto
>
>But E Howard Hunt said Cord Meyer ordered the hit on JFK. So is this a
>convoluted way for Cord Meyer to confess to the murder of JFK? Don't think
>so. What we have here is a case of dueling deathbed confessions.

Well, deathbed accurations is probably a more apt phrase.

Very perceptive comment though.

> So much
>for the conventional theory of deathbed confessions always tell the truth.
>To be fair E Howard Hunt never said he had proof Meyer had anything to do
>with FranK Sturgis or a plot to kill JFK. It was all speculation on
>Hunt's part.

I believe E. Howard Hunt felt very differently toward Cord Meyer and
Frank Sturgis.

Hunt defended Sturgis at every turn; but Hunt was lukewarm toward Cord
Meyer in his autobiography, and apparently made a damning statement
about Meyer on the deathbed tape.

Cord Meyer was a liberal at heart while Hunt was firmly on the other
side of the political spectrum.

In his autobiography, Hunt writes "I don't think Frank was part of a
plot against JFK. He was a congenial guy who would follow orders but
had a room-temperature IQ.... this was not the way he would have
evened the score. And if he had been involved in the killing, he would
have passed the knowledge on to me - hinted at it in the very least."

(Unlikely Hunt would have mentioned anything to anyone even if Sturgis
did say something!)

However Hunt does not make the same defence of Cord Meyer. He does
write: "I don't think Cord Meyer killed his ex-wife, and I don't think
it was Angleton either, although he did apparently know that Mary and
Kennedy carried on the affair. HE DIED WITHOUT SHEDDING MUCH LIGHT ON
THE MATTER. CORD MEYER IS DEAD, TOO. AS IS STURGIS. NO ONE EVER MADE A
DEATHBED CONFESSION ABOUT EITHER CRIME."

Why would anyone even suspect Sturgis would know anything about the
Meyer death anyway?

However Hunt does say: Cord Meyer was one of three CIA agents who had
the "means, motive, opportunity, or some connection to kill Kennedy."

In the end, Meyer and Hunt are pointing fingers in different
directions ..... Hunt toward Meyer and Meyer toward ?.

Meyer died first and just said "sons of bitches"; Hunt died later and
was more definite (and perhaps more deceptive) when he named Meyer.

(quote from Hunt's autobiography, American Spy)

Peter Fokes,
Toronto

Peter Fokes

Feb 22, 2011, 12:57:42 PM2/22/11
On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 12:56:30 -0500, Peter Fokes <pfo...@rogers.com>
wrote:

>Well, deathbed accusations is probably a more apt phrase.

typo alert: accusation (never eat while typing!)

black...@aol.com

Feb 22, 2011, 7:24:55 PM2/22/11
Funny that I should read this on February 22, the anniversary of the day
David Ferrie died. Complaining to all who would listen that he felt very
sick and thought he might die, Ferrie spoke with a number of people in the
days before his death: Garrison assistants Sciambra and Ivon, reporter
Dave Snyder and reporter George Lardner Jr. I always wondered if these
interviews could be considered "death bed" material, as Ferrie seemed to
know that the end was near.

Of course, they couldn't be called confessions, as he maintained that,
outside of having briefly been a member of the same CAP unit, he had no
relationship with Oswald.

Bud

Feb 22, 2011, 9:40:26 PM2/22/11
On Feb 22, 9:19 am, Anthony Marsh <anthony.ma...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 2/21/2011 10:38 PM, Bud wrote:
>

> > On Feb 21, 9:48 pm, Peter Fokes<pfo...@rogers.com>  wrote:
> >> Do we have a complete list anywhere?
>
> >> :-)
>
> >> Let me start off with one ... add at your leisure.
>
> >> <quote on>
>
> >> [Cord] Meyer held court at the beginning of February 2001 - six weeks
> >> before his death - in the barren dining room of a Washington nursing
> >> home. Propped up in a chair, his glass eye bulging, he struggled to
> >> hold his head aloft. Although he was no longer able to read, the
> >> nurses supplied him with a daily copy of The Washington Post, which he
> >> carried with him wherever he went. "My father died of a heart attack
> >> the same year Mary was killed," he whispered. "It was a bad time." And
> >> what could he say about Mary Meyer? Who had committed such a heinous
> >> crime? "The same sons of bitches," he hissed, "that killed John F.
> >> Kennedy."[11]
>
> >    How is that a confession?
>
> Maybe because he knew them personally?

Sure, had he said something he didn`t say it might have been a
confession.

Peter Fokes

Feb 22, 2011, 9:41:11 PM2/22/11
On 22 Feb 2011 19:24:55 -0500, "black...@aol.com"
<black...@aol.com> wrote:

Speaking of 22, Cord Meyer's first assignment after completing Marine
Jungle Warfare School in 1943 was the newly formed 22nd Marine
Regiment in Somoa. When he received word that his Regiment was being
transferred to the Hawaiian Islands for final training, he wrote a
remarkable journal entry (too bad Meyer didn't choose writing as a
profession; he probably would have been a very successful author)

He is 23 years old:

<quote on>

18 Nov '43 -- ...I looked with particular intentness and some regret
upon a scene I knew I should never see again. It impressed me then as
a beautiful if primitive view. The two heavily jungled arms of the
land stretched out to embrace the glittering blue of Leone Bay, across
the mouth of which the reef runs to draw a white line of surf. On the
bend of the bay is the native village and the two partially decayed
churches standing white against the encompassing green. In the middle
of the village, the road forks, one branch running along the coast and
the other down to Pago-Pago. We took the latter route for the last
time and I watched the jungles and the villages of that twelve miles
of road disappear behind me forever. As we passed them, I repeated to
myself their fascinating names, Malaeeola, Futingu, Ili-Ili, Pavaii,
Mopazonga, the Marine Cemetary, Mormon Valley, Utilei and finally as
the road parallels the indented coast from which the green hills go
back steeply we rounded the last headland and into the beautiful
harbour.
Though these last six months have not been the most happy or
fruitful of my life by any stretch of the imagination, I looked back
at the fading silhouette of Tutuila this morning and reflected. When
one takes a final departure from any scene, one knows the meaning of
mortality; Leone Village shall never see me more; to that place I am
as good as dead. Just as the dying man must devour with his eyes the
last of physical reality so I looked back closely and attempted to
imprint all that I saw indelibly upon my memory. Thus, in my head, the
bay, the churches, the jungled headlands, the open fales shall enjoy a
vicarious existence and have a shadowy part in all my journeyings.
What does that scene mean to me, for according to the nature of
one's life in each environment, those surroundings take on a symbolic
meaning, a quality equivalent to what one did and thought and felt.
Leone is the symbol of a primitive life, the living example of what it
means to merely be "natural," to exist without ambition, or ideal or
restraint. I learn that what is unusual and unique is not necessarily
the best, that the longing of the super-civilized for the
primitive-natural-life is romantic and illusory. In other words, the
search for the strange and exceptional is as nothing compared to the
quest for what is normal and eternal in human experience. Thus Leone
marked the final step in the awakening of him who was once an
incurable dreamer, the final decision of a man to put away childish
things, to see things as they are, instead as one wishes them to be.

<quote off>

"Facing Reality: From World Federalism To the CIA"
1980, Cord Meyer

Iin 1946, Meyer won the O. Henry Prize for best first-published
story.

Peter Fokes,
Toronto

Anthony Marsh

Feb 23, 2011, 6:21:50 PM2/23/11

How really? Another WC defender cover up. Do we really need to show you
the photo showing Oswald and Ferrie together? Surely you know better,
but won't admit it.

markusp

Feb 24, 2011, 3:08:18 PM2/24/11

Ferrie's death and the two suicide notes have perplexed me. I'm aware that
Ferrie had said he wasn't feeling good. Do you know if Ferrie expounded at
all on his apparent illness? Is a berry aneurism a silent killer? I'm
wondering if he complained of a headache or other symptoms. Clearly he was
fairly intelligent, albeit misguided. I say that because he may have been
able to medically deduce that he was not to live much longer. But to pen
even one suicide note and then die of a berry aneurism before he got the
chance to do it himself is peculiar. If you have some resources, I'd
appreciate it. Thanks!

~Mark

Anthony Marsh

Feb 24, 2011, 9:29:40 PM2/24/11

I suggest that you look up MK/ULTRA and the CIA's developing chemicals
which would cause a death to look natural.

Mitch Todd

Feb 25, 2011, 7:57:18 AM2/25/11

"Peter Fokes" <pfo...@rogers.com> wrote in message

Apparently, Meyer tried to use the publishing connections gleaned
from his stint with MOCKINGBIRD to move into some sort of
writing and/or editing position in post-CIA life. He got nowhere
with it. Maybe he should have.

black...@aol.com

Feb 25, 2011, 12:45:31 PM2/25/11
On Feb 24, 3:08 pm, markusp <markina...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ferrie's death and the two suicide notes have perplexed me.

One of the first problems is their characterization as "suicide"
notes. (They can be read in full on John McAdams's website.) While
Ferrie mentions his potential death, there is nothing in them that
requires that they be considered suicide notes. They could also be
interpreted as farewell notes to be found after a non-suicide death.
They were not found out in any obvious spots: The longer one was found
in a pile of papers on a shelf. The shorter one was found in an
envelope marked "To be opened in the event of my death", taped under a
table, which also contained a recent will and a listing of people to
contact in the event of his death.

I'm aware that
> Ferrie had said he wasn't feeling good. Do you know if Ferrie expounded at
> all on his apparent illness? Is a berry aneurism a silent killer? I'm
> wondering if he complained of a headache or other symptoms.

Here's a quick synopsis: Ferrie suffered some personal and business
setbacks in late 65/early 66. On July 23, 1966, he wrote a new will
and placed it with several other death-related items in the envelope
mentioned above. He complained abut his health to various people,
mentioning either encephalitis or brain cancer, (The doctor who did
his autopsy said he saw evidence to two prior bleeds in Ferrie's
brain.) In September he went to the emergency room complaining of
dizziness but left before he was treated. By January his walking was
labored and he had difficulty keeping food down. In February he was
found dead in bed with a small amount of apparent vomit next to his
mouth.

Clearly he was
> fairly intelligent, albeit misguided.

Very close. Most remember him as highly intelligent but not used in a
useful way. His impulsiveness was also a remembered trait. But in
reading his writings, I see someone comfortable with the language, but
not overly brilliant.

I say that because he may have been
> able to medically deduce that he was not to live much longer. But to pen
> even one suicide note and then die of a berry aneurism before he got the
> chance to do it himself is peculiar. If you have some resources, I'd
> appreciate it. Thanks!
>
> ~Mark

I hope to have a fairly comprehensive bio of Ferrie done in the next
year or two.