Oswald Made a call to Nags Head, North Carolina

curtjester1

Aug 7, 2010, 11:59:39 PM8/7/10
Nags Head call / Raleigh call ... clarification
« on: August 31, 2008, 01:52:47 PM »

SEE
Source IDW
Gender: Male
Age: 62
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
Local Time: August 07, 2010, 04:28:11 PM
http://www.blackopforum.info/index.php?topic=263.0

The telephone call to Raleigh, NC is not mentioned by the Warren
Commission. WC

Also see: NODULE 33
http://www.slideshare.net/AJWeberman/nodule-x33-misc-info

I'm a native of North Carolina and a portion of my JFK Assassination
Chronology was published in Jim Fetzer's book, MURDER IN DEALEY
PLAZA.

I'd like to comment on Jim DeEugenio's statement on a recent show
that Oswald made a call to Nags Head, North Carolina.

In fact, Oswald placed the call to RALEIGH, North Carolina. What has
become known as "the Raleigh call" was explored in depth in a now
defunct Raleigh magazine called THE SPECTATOR. The story was well
researched by Grover Proctor. Bernie Reeves was the editor of THE
SPECTATOR and is now the publisher of METRO MAGAZINE in Raleigh, NC.
(I recommend both men to you as interesting interviews for your show,
Len.)

Nags Head is about a three hour drive from Raleigh. (I think Jim
mentioned that Nags Head was close to Raleigh. I suppose "close" is
matter of interpretation.

I list this entry in my chronology:

10:45 PM (Nov. 22, 1963) Oswald, who has been placed in a cell on
the fifth floor of the Dallas City Hall, places a long distance call
to Raleigh, North Carolina. According to one of the switchboard
operators, Mrs. Troon, she and a coworker (Mrs. Swinney) have been
alerted that law enforcement officers -- she believes they might be
Secret Service men -- will be arriving to listen in on an Oswald
telephone call. Two men eventually arrive, show identification and
are shown into a room next to the switchboard. When Oswald places
the
call, at about 10:45 PM this evening, Mrs. Swinney manages the call
with Mrs. Troon listening in. Oswald is informed by Mrs. Swinney, as
she has been instructed, that the number doesn’t answer. The call is
then disconnected without ever really having been placed. Later,
Mrs.
Swinney tears the page off her notation pad and tosses it into the
trash can. Mrs. Troon later recovers the note and retains it as a
souvenir. (That slip of paper will turn up seven years from now in a
Freedom of Information suit brought by Chicago researcher Sherman H.
Skolnick (a civil action filed in Federal District Court in Chicago,
April 6, 1970, No. 70C 790). It shows a collect call attempted from
the jail by Lee Harvey Oswald to a John Hurt at 919-834-7430 and it
gives an additional telephone number in the 919 Area Code, 833-1253.)
The call is made to Raleigh, North Carolina to a man named John Hurt.
The note lists two alternative numbers, which do appertain to
published subscribers of that name. One of the two John Hurts served
in U.S. Military Intelligence during World War II.

Professor Blakey, Chief Counsel of Congress’ Assassinations Committee,
will eventually conclude: “It was an outgoing call, and therefore I
consider it very troublesome material. The direction in which it went
was deeply disturbing.”

Victor Marchetti, author of THE CIA AND THE CULT OF INTELLIGENCE,
alleges that Oswald’s attempted call to Raleigh is an effort to
contact a “fake cutout.” He explains that all intelligence agents
work through “cutouts”, middlemen who are called if an agent is in a
scrape. Therefore, according to Marchetti, Oswald thought he was
working for a spy agency, most probably the CIA.

There were two John Hurts listed in the 1962 Southern Bell telephone
directory for Raleigh, North Carolina. John W. Hurt is listed as
living on Old Wake Forest Road and has not been traced by
researchers. John David Hurt is listed as living on New Bern
Avenue. This Mr. Hurt, who served as a U.S. Army Counterintelligence
officer during World War II, was contacted by researchers but denied
that he ever received or made a call to LHO in the Dallas jail. John
David Hurt is now deceased.

AUTHOR’S NOTE: Detailed information regarding the Raleigh
telephone call was initially uncovered by Grover Proctor and Bernie
Reeves and first reported in The Spectator, Raleigh, N.C.

Secret Service agent Abraham Bolden was the duty officer for the
Secret Service’s Chicago office on the weekend of the assassination.
He states that the Secret Service office in Dallas contacted him late
on the evening of the 23rd and requested a report on any phonetic
spelling of “Hurt” or “Heard.”

Gerry Patrick Hemming states that the CIA had access to “call
forwarding” during the 50s and 60s - well before the general public
knew of it. According to Hemming, “Call Forwarding,” at this time,
was a secret service available to various intelligence agencies. It
is possible, therefore, that Oswald’s Raleigh call was forwarded once
it was routed through Raleigh, N.C. Hemming suggests that the call
was possibly routed to either the Elizabeth City or Nags Head area of
North Carolina.

The Warren Commission Report merely states that: “Between 4 and 4:30
p.m., Oswald made two telephone calls to Mrs. Ruth Paine at her home
in Irving; at about 5:30 p.m. he was visited by the president of the
Dallas Bar Association with whom he spoke for about 5 minutes. From 6
to 7:15 p.m. Oswald was interrogated once again in Captain Fritz’
office and then returned to his cell. At 8 p.m. he called the Paine
residence again and asked to speak to his wife, but Mrs. Paine told
him that his wife was no longer there.” The telephone call to
Raleigh, NC is not mentioned by the Warren Commission. WC

SO - it IS possible that the call was routed to Nags Head ... but we
do have a CIA base in Elizabeth City.

On a personal note, I know a lot of people on North Carolina's Outer
Banks where Nags Head is located. There were, of course, cottages
along the beach during the time Oswald could've received his training
as a defector there - but the population was small enough so that the
influx of even a dozen or so military personnel would've been noted.

This, as I discovered, is the case. People I've talked to there
remember around a dozen men who were sent to the Coast Guard station
on the Outer Banks. The "word" was that they were recovering
alcoholics involved in a program to rehabilitate them. Oswald could
very well have been among them. So, Marchetti may be correct in
asserting that Oswald quite probably received some of his training as
a defector at or near Nags Head, North Carolina.

Merely wanted to pass this information along as a clarification.

Best regards,
Ira David Wood III

The Raleigh Call
http://groverproctor.us/jfk/jfk80.html

The Assassination of JFK
Websites
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/REVhistoryKennedy.htm

Squinty Magoo

Aug 8, 2010, 3:43:47 PM8/8/10
On Aug 7, 10:59 pm, curtjester1 <curtjest...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Nags Head call / Raleigh call ... clarification
> « on: August 31, 2008, 01:52:47 PM »
>
> SEE
> Source IDW
> Gender:  Male
> Age: 62
> Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
> Local Time: August 07, 2010, 04:28:11 PMhttp://www.blackopforum.info/index.php?topic=263.0

> The telephone call to Raleigh, NC is not mentioned by the Warren
> Commission.  WC
>
> Also see: NODULE 33http://www.slideshare.net/AJWeberman/nodule-x33-misc-info
> The Raleigh Callhttp://groverproctor.us/jfk/jfk80.html

> The Assassination of JFK
> Websiteshttp://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/REVhistoryKennedy.htm

How could the "call" have been routed to Nags Head, or anywhere else,
if "it was never really placed" as the operators report?

Squinty Magoo