The advantages of having a moderated newsgroup

John Corbett

Feb 23, 2021, 1:03:38 PM2/23/21
Primarily it keeps most of the posts on topic and at least somewhat civil.
There is another benefit which became apparent this morning in an
unmoderated newsgroup I participate in. We have one regular poster who
likes to flood the newsgroup with off topic, moronic, and anti-Semitic
posts. He uses a variety of screennames but it is obvious it is all the
same guy. This morning he out did himself. Over the course of 25 minutes
beginning at 8:23 AM, he posted 274 messages. Apparently he spent
yesterday queuing them up for his morning dump (double entendre intended).
At 30 posts per page, anyone wanting to get to the on topic threads would
have to scroll through 9 pages of crap. Speaking for myself, having to
wait a half a day for a message to post is a small price to pay for not
having to put up with this kind of nonsense.

David Von Pein

Feb 24, 2021, 5:54:01 AM2/24/21
I agree. :-)

John Corbett

Mar 31, 2021, 7:30:38 PM3/31/21
Just an update. My other newsgroup is being bombarded with a continuous
flow of gibberish posts. My guess is that somebody who obviously doesn't
have a life has concocted software that automatically writes and submits
posts that are completely nonsensical. I went to look at this newsgroup
around 7:00 this morning and saw what was happening. I went all the way
back to 6:03 am and there was continuous stream of these posts that has
continued non-stop as I write this a few minutes after 10:00am. Just an
example, one post was titled "glycerolize unfailing third with the
heliocentric antelope squirrel". I don't suppose anyone can decipher this.
It looks to me as if the program is just randomly slapping words together.
The body of the posts is just more of the same. If someone has made any
substantive posts in the mean time, they are being quickly swamped with
the gibberish. I don't know what can be done about this nonsense but for
now it has ruined the newsgroup because nobody is going to be able to
carry on a dialog with thousands of new threads being continuously posted.

Pamela Brown

Apr 1, 2021, 9:10:47 AM4/1/21
I don't always agree with McAdams' positions but I do agree that he is
keeping that kind of nonsense out of this newsgroup...much appreciated...

Pamela

Bud

Apr 1, 2021, 8:37:14 PM4/1/21
Can`t you killfile the offender?

John Corbett

Apr 1, 2021, 8:37:27 PM4/1/21
I don't know if somebody finally took action but the automated posting of
gibberish began yesterday at least as early as 6:00am and finally ceased
shortly after 5:00pm. During that time 10-12 posts full of nonsensical
gibberish appeared every minute. If anybody tried to make a post during
that time, it would have quickly been swamped by the silliness. It makes
you wonder how pathetic a person's life must be if they can get their
jollies with such inanity.

John Corbett

Apr 1, 2021, 8:37:39 PM4/1/21
On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 9:10:47 AM UTC-4, Pamela Brown wrote:
This is an explanation from another poster on the website that got flooded
with spam yesterday:

[quote on]

The entire server at neodome, looks to be a Democrat counterintelligence
spam server simply injecting FAKE posts to clog up the NEWS GROUPS. The
first rule of AUTHORITARIANISM is the control of everything, and what you
don't control you destroy..... so you control everything.

They control TWITTER AND FACEBOOK and CNN and MSNBC and they're trying to
destroy anything that their political opposition can use to communicate on
or get out any real NEWS ON.... remember in WWII the NAZI'S and the
Japanese would jam signals and then they had counter intelligence things
like TOKYO ROSE.... to fill the airwaves with lies.

You may NOT be at war but someone (DEMOCRATS) are waging a war against
your freedom.

[quote off]

I cannot speak to the validity of these claims however it is quite ominous
if true. We know liberals now control the social media platforms and if
they intend to completely clamp down on online political discourse, it
makes sense that they would want to jam these various forums. Maybe
yesterday was just a trial run to see what they could do. It was certainly
effective for the approximate 12 hours it was flooding the newsgroup.

John Corbett

Apr 2, 2021, 11:07:13 AM4/2/21
Each post is made with a unique screenname so it seems they are generating
those randomly too.

Pamela Brown

Apr 2, 2021, 3:47:24 PM4/2/21
That does somewhat make sense. Nasty, though.