vt100 slowcat

39 views
Skip to first unread message

Eli the Bearded

unread,
Sep 19, 2021, 5:04:44 PM9/19/21
to
I've been going though Usenet archives from archive.org:

https://archive.org/download/usenet-alt

and finding old ASCII art. There's a ton of still art there (and a lot
of spam), the animations are not well preserved. It's ironic that people
used to post things like:

From: cf...@southern.co.nz (Colin Douthwaite)
Subject: WARNING: Control Codes
Date: 1996/09/15



===================================================================

WARNING

====================================================================

PLEASE do *NOT* post Colour, Color, Control or Animation Codes to
ASCII-ART newsgroups - or indeed ANY Internet newsgroup.

It can cause an awful lot of trouble on Net systems worldwide.

If you wish to post Raw Code then UUENCODE it first !


(Side note: Colin Douthwaite memorial, archived from Geocites, here:
https://www.oocities.org/spunk1111/colin3.htm
)

Because the archives have deleted the UUENCODEd content:

From: k...@fantaghiro.deceiver.org (Kai Voelcker)
Subject: bike.vt.z, part 1/1
Date: 1996/10/24
Message-ID: <DzsHx...@fantaghiro.deceiver.org>#1/1
X-Deja-AN: 191831958
newsgroups: alt.ascii-art.animation


An ansi animation collected from this newsgroup some times ago. Use
:decode or :unshar to extract. The resulting file is gzip'ed. Invoke
zcat to view.

#!/bin/sh
[... shar comments romved ... ]
part=1
pfile=bike.vt.z
file=bike.vt.z
psize=1316
sed -e '/^BEGIN/d' -e '/^END/d' << \End_of_Section > $pfile.$part
BEGIN------------ bike.vt.z ------------ part 1/1 ---
begin 644 bike.vt.z
<uuencoded_portion_removed>
DQAXS]IBQQXP]9NPQ8X\9>\S88\;N]GK\(&#_`/J_L4T;*0``
`
end
END-------------- bike.vt.z ------------ part 1/1 ---
End_of_Section
size=`wc -c $pfile.$part | awk '{ print $1 }'`
[... rest of shar file removed ... ]

and left the posts with the raw control characters alone.

I've found a few animations that I already had, and many like that one
that are no longer there, and a few that I had not seen before. I've
been adding them to my collection in the slowcat repo at github:

https://github.com/Eli-the-Bearded/vt100-slowcat

I'll be adding more, I expect, but probably not for while. It's a bit
slow going looking for intact animations. And sad seeing so many links
to dead ftp / gopher / web sites.

Elijah
------

|\
| " One , two, three, four..
@' Tell the people what she wore!

It was an...itsy bitsy teeny weeny
Yellow polka dot bikini
That she wore for the first time today.

Yes...
It was just'n itsy bitsy teeny weeny
Yellow polka dot bikini.
And there isn't any more! " |\
|
@'



,----..'
,'
:
:
Ojo 98/cfbd ``-----.. __..-..
\ ..-'' |
___ \--.__ / o |
`..___..--"""" )., \ o "" \-""""""-.. / o `
) o '\ | o o ) / o `..
.-'' o \ | o / .' o )
; o o \__|-"""" . ' o o )
'.__.--''""---..____.--"" ` -..___..--"""--''




Cha Cha Cha,
Colin Douthwaite

Colin Randall

unread,
Sep 29, 2021, 9:35:59 AM9/29/21
to
On 19/09/2021 22:04, Eli the Bearded wrote:
> I've been going though Usenet archives from archive.org:
>
> https://archive.org/download/usenet-alt
>
> and finding old ASCII art. There's a ton of still art there (and a lot
> of spam), the animations are not well preserved. It's ironic that people
> used to post things like:
>
> From: cf...@southern.co.nz (Colin Douthwaite)
> Subject: WARNING: Control Codes
> Date: 1996/09/15
>
> ===================================================================
>
> WARNING
>
> ====================================================================
>
> PLEASE do *NOT* post Colour, Color, Control or Animation Codes to
> ASCII-ART newsgroups - or indeed ANY Internet newsgroup.
>
> It can cause an awful lot of trouble on Net systems worldwide.
>
> If you wish to post Raw Code then UUENCODE it first !
>
[snip]
Hi ... and what a rabbit hole that is! :) ... took me ~ 1 week to go thru

the removal of uue stuff is a sacrilege
and noticed the practice ended around 1998/1999
... shame they didn't remove the base64 sex-spam (6-off jpeg) posts

all i managed to find (intact) was :

dragon.uu big
moebis.uu tiny

bunny.vt straight flush
undasea.vt unda da sea
daylife.vt day in the life

vicki.ans colour?

flying.pl r l samuell

also seems like archiving stops around 2011
[currently going thru the a.a-a mbox file]
--
.
._!__ __ __
/ _\/_ |_ \!_
/ / 7 / /|
\ \_ _/ / \ .
\_//__/|_\_\!_.
|

Eli the Bearded

unread,
Sep 29, 2021, 3:36:55 PM9/29/21
to
In alt.ascii-art, Colin Randall <colin.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19/09/2021 22:04, Eli the Bearded wrote:
>> I've been going though Usenet archives from archive.org:
>> https://archive.org/download/usenet-alt
...
>> I've found a few animations that I already had, and many like that one
>> that are no longer there, and a few that I had not seen before. I've
>> been adding them to my collection in the slowcat repo at github:
>> https://github.com/Eli-the-Bearded/vt100-slowcat
> Hi ... and what a rabbit hole that is! :) ... took me ~ 1 week to go thru

You do it faster than I do then. I added a large number of small
animations in the past couple of days. I've come up with a script that
can turn the HTML animations some people posted back into vt100 ones.
Those HTML ones tend to be very simple stuff, usually five to twenty
frames and well suited for looping. ASCII art GIFs if you will.

> the removal of uue stuff is a sacrilege

I also found at least one base64 encoding post removed.

> ... shame they didn't remove the base64 sex-spam (6-off jpeg) posts

Yeah, yencoded JPEG got left alone, which didn't help me when I did a
"size of post" filter.

> all i managed to find (intact) was :
>
> dragon.uu big
> moebis.uu tiny

I'm not sure if I've seen those.

> bunny.vt straight flush
> undasea.vt unda da sea
> daylife.vt day in the life

I have those in my repo.

> vicki.ans colour?

Yes, but slightly corrupt. I've seen that one from Grox, as well, again
slightly corrupt.

> flying.pl r l samuell

I turned that one into a vt100 video by capturing output. It's a
very simple plane with very fast propellers flying a random path.
The captured video is huge but doesn't actually do much.

> also seems like archiving stops around 2011

Yes, but at that point few new videos were being posted anyway.

The real treat in the mbox is Uriel's basketball game video. It's huge,
but has real animation with line art that changes perspective and scale
and scrolling team logos at the end. The version in the mbox is lacking
most control codes, I fixed up:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Eli-the-Bearded/vt100-slowcat/master/videos/other/basketball.vt

There's also a very old perl script that draws a nude woman idling and
smoking, "vestale.pl", that I posted about separately.

I've found a single frame of a "flyby" video by Ojoshiro and found a
working current email address for Ojoshiro, he replied to confirm
that he used to post to Usenet, but he hasn't replied to my question
if he still has the generator script or the video.

,-<A flyby in space.>----------.
| | : .88P:|
| - -'+)-- - `-.o8P":+|
| T . ::::::|
| : . . .::::: :|
| . :::::: .:|
| . .:::::` :'|
|._____ * .:::;::::. . |
|---"" . .:+:;:'. |
| ':::::::|: |
| . .: ':::++(+)+- |
`--------------<Kage Ojoshiro>-'
[t=0]... Clear Air Turbulence.

Elijah
------
has not finished going through the HTML ones

Colin Randall

unread,
Sep 29, 2021, 8:18:16 PM9/29/21
to
On 29/09/2021 20:36, Eli the Bearded wrote:
> In alt.ascii-art, Colin Randall <colin.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 19/09/2021 22:04, Eli the Bearded wrote:
>>> I've been going though Usenet archives from archive.org:
>>> https://archive.org/download/usenet-alt
> ...
>> all i managed to find (intact) was :
>>
>> dragon.uu big
>> moebis.uu tiny
>
> I'm not sure if I've seen those.
>
hi ... tried re-post them but 'eternal' forbids :(
to help locate dragon.uu try:
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 1994 20:27:50 GMT

and moebis.uu: (may just be the guy's sig due the tiny size)
Date: 5 Jun 1994 13:09:40 -0400

also:

R L Samuell
Keeper of the ASCII Art Bazaar

i'm sure i saw a URL for this possibly in one of Boba's FAQ pages
if so maybe then check-out Wayback Machine for content ?

Eli the Bearded

unread,
Oct 1, 2021, 2:07:19 AM10/1/21
to
In alt.ascii-art, Colin Randall <colin.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi ... tried re-post them but 'eternal' forbids :(
> to help locate dragon.uu try:
> Date: Sat, 12 Nov 1994 20:27:50 GMT

Okay, I've found that one, decoded it, and added it to the repo.
Short story but excellent art. I think I see why that got missed.
It's uuencoded BUT it's quoted with ">" on every line.

> and moebis.uu: (may just be the guy's sig due the tiny size)
> Date: 5 Jun 1994 13:09:40 -0400

The one I found was just four lines (including begin/end) and might
decode for me correctly for me: uudecode says "short file", but I did
get an output "Moebis.uu" which does decode, into a one line text file:

It's turtles all the way down...

I don't recall which one it was, but I did find one twelve line
uuencoded file that decoded. It was one of the first I added from
my hunt through the Usenet archive file. Ah yes, "begin 644 dogsex.vt.z"
which is a slight variation on "dogs.vt".

> R L Samuell
> Keeper of the ASCII Art Bazaar

I've got a couple of his already.

> i'm sure i saw a URL for this possibly in one of Boba's FAQ pages
> if so maybe then check-out Wayback Machine for content ?

Hitting Wayback Machine is still on my to-do list.

But now I'm going to have to search for ">" protected uuencode
files. I've found a couple of still images like that so far, like a
Calvin.txt and gardrose (garden rose).

Elijah
------
Kangaroo's geocities site might be good

Colin Randall

unread,
Oct 14, 2021, 3:51:03 AM10/14/21
to
On 01/10/2021 07:07, Eli the Bearded wrote:
>
> Hitting Wayback Machine is still on my to-do list.
>

> Kangaroo's geocities site might be good
>
ah ... add to the to-do list this one has large collection
of kangaroo's, jgs's & ejm's simple javascript ones

http://web.archive.org/web/2/http://www.asciimator.net/

Eli the Bearded

unread,
Oct 19, 2021, 2:37:15 PM10/19/21
to
In alt.ascii-art, Colin Randall <colin.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/10/2021 07:07, Eli the Bearded wrote:
> > Hitting Wayback Machine is still on my to-do list.
> > Kangaroo's geocities site might be good
> ah ... add to the to-do list this one has large collection
> of kangaroo's, jgs's & ejm's simple javascript ones
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/2/http://www.asciimator.net/

Okay, added to to-do list.

A quick glance showed some working and some not. And some very new
ones (there was a 2020 ASCII art "Zoom" meeting).

Elijah
------
added a couple of old Perl "screensaver" type programs recently

Colin Randall

unread,
Nov 22, 2021, 4:54:32 AM11/22/21
to
On 19/10/2021 19:37, Eli the Bearded wrote:
> In alt.ascii-art, Colin Randall <colin.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 01/10/2021 07:07, Eli the Bearded wrote:
>>> Hitting Wayback Machine is still on my to-do list.
>>> Kangaroo's geocities site might be good
>> ah ... add to the to-do list this one has large collection
>> of kangaroo's, jgs's & ejm's simple javascript ones
>>
>> http://web.archive.org/web/2/http://www.asciimator.net/
>
> Okay, added to to-do list.
> added a couple of old Perl "screensaver" type programs recently
>
hi ...

wow man! You have been busy ...
so finally i get to see 'vestale' (smoking nude) :)
also liked the 'scarecrow fad-out'

that collection is now (in .VT terms) colossal

obasc
__
__/ /\__
/ /_/ / /\
/_/ \/_/ /
/ __ \/\
\ / /\ / /
/ \/_/ \/
\__ __/
\__/

cjr
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages