vk goes for a stroll (was other stuff)

Ron

Aug 29, 2022, 3:12:41 PM8/29/22
On Mon, 29 Aug 2022, Eli the Bearded wrote:

> In alt.ascii-art, Ron <colone...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> It's not perl so perl group removed:
>>
>> https://web.archive.org/web/20120525022642/http://www.ludd.luth.se/~vk/pics/ascii/junkyard/creative/animations/vk_goes_for_a_stroll.html
>
> Nice find. Added to my archive as videos/other/vk_goes_for_a_stroll.vt
>
> https://github.com/Eli-the-Bearded/vt100-slowcat
>
> Elijah
> ------
> cannot see it in 3-d

It was a ``find'' since I had to search for it having lost my copy. It was
my 3-d effect on Veronica Karlsson's self portrait pasted into a script
from Joan Stark. The archived site is vk's and is worth a look around if
you've not seen it.

It is a focus your eyes nearer or cross eyed type (they are easier for
/me/ to see). 3d posters are usually focus your eyes past the poster type.
The way I see it them to let my eyes cross a little (you can look at your
finger between your eyes and the screen) so ou see 4 images then work to
make the middle 2 overlap.

Here is the a still frame:

. ||||| |||||
. ||. .|| ||. .||
. |||\=/||| |||\=/|||
. |.-- --.| |.-- --.|
. /(.)(.) \ / (.)(.)\
. \ ) . ( / \ ) . ( /
. '( v )` '( v )`
. \ | / \ | /
. ( | ) ( | )
. '- -` '- -` after vk

The animation /is/ very distracting to the 3d effect so it might be easier
onest you see it in the still.

--3ch aka Sgt pinback

Eli the Bearded

Aug 29, 2022, 4:08:14 PM8/29/22
In alt.ascii-art, Ron <colone...@yahoo.com> wrote replying to me:
> > cannot see it in 3-d
> It was a ``find'' since I had to search for it having lost my copy. It was
> my 3-d effect on Veronica Karlsson's self portrait pasted into a script
> from Joan Stark. The archived site is vk's and is worth a look around if
> you've not seen it.

Ah, thanks for the history. I see there are a number of other videos
there I should archive, too.

> It is a focus your eyes nearer or cross eyed type

I have _never_ gotten side-by-side 3-d images to work unless it involved
special glasses or viewer.

Also "does not work" for me:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autostereogram

(And I was adult when "Magic Eye" became a thing, so I've had some time.)

Elijah
------
does own a Nintendo Virtual Boy and had no problems with that 3-D

Ron

Aug 30, 2022, 1:14:16 AM8/30/22
On Mon, 29 Aug 2022, Eli the Bearded wrote:

> I have _never_ gotten side-by-side 3-d images to work unless it involved
> special glasses or viewer.

What about a viewmaster or an regualar stereoscope? I assume you see real
things as 3d.

Does this one work for you?
https://xkcd.com/237/

Somebody long ago posted this program that takes a file with depth info
and makes a random ascii 3d out of it. Funny thing it worked for me on
unix (aix/freebsd/linux) but not on windows (turboc in a command window).
I never really tried to figure our why. It may have even been the DOS
font.

#define DEPTH0 16
#define COLS 79
#define COLS 120

#include <stdio.h>

main()
{
long now;
int col;
char m[COLS+1],s[COLS+1];
int i,e,c;

/* seed random number generator */
time (&now);
srand (now);

/* print fusion X's */
for (col = 0; COLS - col >= DEPTH0; col += DEPTH0)
{
for (i = 0; i < DEPTH0-1; ++i)
putchar (' ');
putchar ('X');
}
putchar ('\n');

/* process input image */
while (memset(m,'\0',COLS+1),fgets (m, COLS+1, stdin))
{
e = 0;
s[COLS] = 0;
for(i=0; i<COLS; )
{
e = 0;
while (i >= DEPTH0 && i < COLS &&
(c = m[i - DEPTH0]) >= '0' && c <= '9')
{
e = 1;
s[i] = s[i-DEPTH0+c-'0'];
++i;
}
s[i++] = (e || i < DEPTH0) ? randasc() : s[i-DEPTH0];
}
puts (s);
}

}

randasc()
{
/* large set of random characters */
/* return ('!'+rand()%92);

/* lowercase random letters */
return ('a'+rand()%26);

}

sample in:
22222222 222222222
22222222222222 222222222222222
222222 222222 222222 222222
22222 222222 222222 222222
22222 22222
22222 22222222222 22222222222222
22222 22222222222 22222222222222
22222 22222 22222
222222 222222 222222 222222
2222222222222222 22222222222222222
22222222222 22222222222222

and out:
X X X X
#`wNdfg`iDGG|FF:#`wNdfg`iDGG|FF:wNdfg`iDADGG|FF:wNdfg`iDGG|FF:wN-Ndfg`iDGG|FF:w
.^TqGtgj(j0%!TUR.^TqGtgj(j0%!R.^TqGtgj(j0%!Y!R.^TqGt(j0%!Y!R.^TqGt(J(j0%!Y!R.^T
lK9MY],_U)tWNYeulK9MY],_U)tYeulK9f9MY],)tYeul$lK9f9],)tYeveul$lf9],)tgtYeveul$l
I|^+!S^Rb6!bcQmQI|^+!S^Rb6cQmQIWI|^+!S^RcQmQIWwWI|!S^RcQ+QmQIWwW!S^RcQxQ+QmQIWw
?mM{:ci5N(NivL|6?mM{:ci5NivL|6Z6?mM{:ci5NivL|6Z6?mM{:ci5NivL|6Z6M{:ci=i5NivL|6Z
[[0O!R`u:@8jXAaT[[0O!R`u:jXAaT)T[[0R`u:jXAaT)TiT[[0R`uXAaT)TiT[[0R`uTuXAaT)TiT[
+tlqzsCJ_|Yhh$U,+tlqzsCJ_hh$U,@,+tlsCJ_hh$U,@,9,+tlsCJh$U,@,9,+tlsCJYJh$U,@,9,+
2?xbMth:ior*MG^u2?xbMth:ioMG^u2P2?xbMth:iG^u2PWP2?xbMth:iG^u2PWPxbMthkh:iG^u2PW
hFbxa{c_B,l#9w^4hFbxa{c_B,lw^4hFbBbxa{c_lw^4hF7FbBa{c_lwow^4hF7Fa{c_lwFwow^4hF7
!EmdqRI1d{zw?zF(!EmdqRI1d{zw?(!EmdqRI1d{zw?(!_!Emdq1d{zw?(!_!Emdq1d{E{zw?(!_!Em
VWKWUE/A{QMi2lteVWKWUE/A{QMi2ltWKWUE/A{QMiJi2ltWKWUE/QMiJi2ltWKWUE/@/QMiJi2ltWK
Py%dVPO<m%0y&>ssPy%dVPO<m%0y&>ssPy%dVPO<m%0y&>ssPy%dVPO<m%0y&>ssPy%dVPO<m%0y&>s

I don't seem to have recorded who posted it in the 1st place.

--Ron

Eli the Bearded

Sep 2, 2022, 6:19:03 PM9/2/22
In alt.ascii-art, Ron <colone...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2022, Eli the Bearded wrote:
>> I have _never_ gotten side-by-side 3-d images to work unless it involved
>> special glasses or viewer.
>
> What about a viewmaster or an regualar stereoscope?

That's the special glasses or viewer clause.

I added a bunch more of the animations from Vericona Karlsson's old
site. All the ones that I didn't recognize in the top directory. Still
need to do the sub directories.

Elijah
------
still has some view master (compatible) disks

Ernazar Biket

Sep 4, 2022, 1:28:14 AM9/4/22
Hello, Eli the Bearded.
On 02.09.2022 22:19 you wrote:

??>> On Mon, 29 Aug 2022, Eli the Bearded wrote:
??>>> I have _never_ gotten side-by-side 3-d images to work unless it
??>>> involved special glasses or viewer.
??>> What about a viewmaster or an regualar stereoscope?
EB> That's the special glasses or viewer clause. I added a bunch more
EB> of the animations from Vericona Karlsson's old site. All the ones
EB> that I didn't recognize in the top directory. Still need to do the
EB> sub directories.
Why you speak English? You are in 2 zone, region 50.
--
Best regards!
Posted using Hotdoged on Android

Eli the Bearded

Sep 4, 2022, 2:29:46 AM9/4/22
In alt.ascii-art,
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Not fidonet

Ernazar Biket <Ernaza...@p15.f66.n6035.z2.fidonet.org.ru> wrote:
^^^^^^^ fidonet

> Hello, Eli the Bearded.
> EB> That's the special glasses or viewer clause. I added a bunch more

Why can't fidonet honor my X-Attribution for supercite attributions?

> EB> of the animations from Vericona Karlsson's old site. All the ones
> EB> that I didn't recognize in the top directory. Still need to do the
> EB> sub directories.
> Why you speak English? You are in 2 zone, region 50.

Apparently "2 zone" is Europe / Russia. I didn't find a region list.
Anyway, no, I'm not in zone 2. That's probably where the fidonet/usenet
gateway is.

Elijah
------
can't rule out that the gateway lies about zones

Ernazar Biket

Sep 4, 2022, 4:27:07 AM9/4/22
Hello, Eli the Bearded.
On 04.09.2022 6:29 you wrote:

EB> Apparently "2 zone" is Europe / Russia. I didn't find a region
EB> list. Anyway, no, I'm not in zone 2. That's probably where the
EB> fidonet/usenet gateway is.
Ah, ok.

Eric Pozharski

Sep 4, 2022, 1:33:15 PM9/4/22
with <eli$22090...@qaz.wtf> Eli the Bearded wrote:
> In alt.ascii-art,
> Ernazar Biket <Ernaza...@p15.f66.n6035.z2.fidonet.org.ru> wrote:
>> Hello, Eli the Bearded.
EB>>> That's the special glasses or viewer clause. I added a bunch more
> Why can't fidonet honor my X-Attribution for supercite attributions?

Because FTN is bastard tech from The Stone Age?

EB>>> of the animations from Vericona Karlsson's old site. All the ones
EB>>> that I didn't recognize in the top directory. Still need to do the
EB>>> sub directories.
>> Why you speak English? You are in 2 zone, region 50.
> Apparently "2 zone" is Europe / Russia. I didn't find a region list.
> Anyway, no, I'm not in zone 2. That's probably where the fidonet/usenet
> gateway is.

Bastard tech, remember? Region is encoded in two most significant
numbers of network's number (those are decimals). Thus, yours (this
time) 2:5075/128 becomes zone:2, region:50, network:5075, node: 128.
With land-line phones dieing off all this becomes arbitrary and ad-hoc.
If you're interested to find out who 2:5075/128 is then I can guide you
(it's easy), but why would you do that is beyond my understanding.

> Elijah
> ------
> can't rule out that the gateway lies about zones

Zones are made-believe ;/

Ron

Sep 11, 2022, 11:01:42 PM9/11/22
On Fri, 2 Sep 2022, Eli the Bearded wrote:

> That's the special glasses or viewer clause.
Yeah, I realized that after I posted.

> I added a bunch more of the animations from Vericona Karlsson's old
> site. All the ones that I didn't recognize in the top directory. Still
> need to do the sub directories.
She used to lurk & sometimes pop up here for some time after she quit
posting regularly.

Rhino records mascot (repost):

__\/ /
/\ --__///||\/