slowcat and vt100 animations

Eli the Bearded

Aug 22, 2020, 8:59:38 PM8/22/20
Over in comp.sys.raspberry-pi a few days ago someone mentioned the
Andalusian Video Snail animation, but lamented he couldn't find it. I
found it, and a player called slowcat.c, but it didn't play right.

I've rewritten slowcat.c to be more effective at slowly cating files,
and am releasing it with a large collection of videos.

Code plus videos:
https://github.com/Eli-the-Bearded/vt100-slowcat/

And blog post:
https://qaz.wtf/qz/blosxom/2020/08/22/slowcat

You'll likely need a Unix like environment (Linux, Mac, maybe WSL) and a
vt100 emulating terminal. xterm on Linux, iterm2 on Mac, not sure for
WSL.

See videos/grox/snails.vt for that "nature" documentary mentioned above.

slowcat -b 9600 videos/grox/snails.vt

Several of the videos still have alt.ascii-art newsgroup headers from
the early 1990s.

Elijah
------
pointers to other videos welcome

tom

Aug 27, 2020, 5:51:14 AM8/27/20
Thank you so much for sharing this. I enjoyed it a lot.