cutting the mistletoe

David Dalton

Dec 30, 2022, 1:57:16 AM12/30/22
I have read that druids cut the mistletoe with a golden
coloured sickle on the sixth day of the moon.

Is that six days after modern new (dark) moon, or
six days after ancient new (earliest waxing crescent)
moon? I think the first, which would have been
the evening of December 28. But I have also read
that druids mark the new lunar month by the
easily observable straight edge of the first
quarter moon (which I call D-moon since it is
shaped like a D). So that might imply the second.

Also is the cutting of the mistletoe done on the
first quarter (or day before) closest to the
winter solstice, or the one before the winter
solstice?

a D.

"And now the angry morning; Gives the early signs of warning; You must face
alone the plans you make; Decisions they will try to break" (S. McLachlan)