PHIL OCHS

Ironywaves

Nov 24, 2003, 7:18:44 PM11/24/03
"Dwolf0823" <dwol...@aol.commonstock> wrote in message
news:20031124181552...@mb-m26.aol.com...
> cypress wrote:
>
> >I Ain't Marching Anymore, The War Is Over, When In Rome, Colored Town, No
> >More
> >Songs, Tape From California and Crucifixation just to name a few more
then
> >"hold up". This is not a Ochs vs Dylan situation but please know a little
> >more
> >about Phil before judging him. His was a voice where their were but a few
> >voices.
> >

> Umm, you should know a little more about me before judging my knowledge of
Phil
> Ochs.
>
> As an aside, you might also consider learning how to respond on usenet.
You
> didn't include any part of my post, so your post is in a vacuum, and thus
> people who didn't read my post have no idea what you're talking about.
>
> I was speaking in general terms, and I'm not the only one that holds this
> *informed* opinion of Ochs's flaws when it comes to timelessness of
material
> (and of course there are exceptions to the rule, but, in general, Ochs was
not
> sufficiently subtle in his songwriting).
>
> I love Phil Ochs, but many of his songs are dated for the exact reasons I
> pointed to, and Dylan's aren't because he didn't bind himself so tightly
to an
> exact time period.
>
> Moreover, I didn't make it an "Ochs vs. Dylan" situation; I merely
contrasted
> the song-writing styles of the two. Once again, I love Ochs's catalog,
> including the songs I would say are dated.
>
> But if you wish to look at it as Ochs vs. Dylan, well, I guess a pithy
> statement would be "Ochs was insanely jealous of Dylan's talents." You'll
most
> likely deny this, too, because, after all, you're the resident Ochs
expert.

> dsw

Reading the biography of Phil, "Death Of A Rebel", the conclusion could be
drawn that his suicide is an almost direct result of having listened to
Blood On The Tracks... he became a bit more noticably demented after the
record came out, then, when it was decided that he should be bumped from the
Rolling Thunder Revue... the end was near.

"No More Songs"... indeed. I sang an accapella version of that a few weeks
back, and nobody, nobody knew it or the author... including the band, which
is why it was accapella.

David Blue wept for Phil when he died... probably nobody knows if Dylan
wept, but it's been reported that he vanished in Clearwater florida for
several days when news of Phil's death broke. Sad, very sad... I wish Phil
Ochs was remembered.
Will

http://www.lulu.com/dockery

General Zod

Jan 14, 2019, 6:41:20 AM1/14/19
Big fan of ole Phil Ochs yes indeed..............

General Zod

Dec 19, 2019, 8:32:01 PM12/19/19
On Monday, November 24, 2003 at 7:18:44 PM UTC-5, Ironywaves wrote:
He is remembered more now than in other times....!!

Michael Pendragon

Dec 19, 2019, 10:41:09 PM12/19/19
I've never heard of him outside of this group.

Edward Rochester Esq.

Dec 19, 2019, 10:48:04 PM12/19/19
Big when I was in the Army..'66...'68..and before, after until he called it quits.

Will Dockery

Dec 20, 2019, 12:01:39 AM12/20/19
On Thursday, December 19, 2019 at 10:41:09 PM UTC-5, Michael Pendragon wrote:
You may remember him from Anita Bryant's cover of his song "The Power And The Glory":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2JvlFtnXuY&pbjreload=10

"From the 1966 Columbia album "Mine Eyes Have Seen The Glory". "The Power and the Glory" is an American patriotic song by Phil Ochs that has been covered by many performers.
Anita Bryant recorded this amazing version of the song.
Phil Ochs claimed to have listened to Bryant’s version fifty times and “still wasn’t sick of it!"
In 1974 Ochs re-recorded the song in a new arrangement, with a fife and drum accompaniment, that was influenced by Anita's version..."

Michael Pendragon

Dec 20, 2019, 8:12:25 AM12/20/19
I don't remember him from it -- only Anita.

George J. Dance

Dec 20, 2019, 8:45:16 AM12/20/19
Some nice lyrics:

Yet she's only as rich as the poorest of the poor,
Only as free as the padlocked prison door

- was a couplet that jumped out at me.

Will Dockery

Dec 20, 2019, 7:34:35 PM12/20/19
If you remember his song he did his job well.

Zod The Mighty

Dec 21, 2019, 11:42:30 AM12/21/19
Interesting song, Doc.....

Zod The Mighty

Dec 22, 2019, 1:11:29 AM12/22/19
On Thursday, December 19, 2019 at 10:41:09 PM UTC-5, Michael Pendragon wrote:
That shows your ignorance once again, Pendragon....

Michael Pendragon

Dec 22, 2019, 4:48:28 PM12/22/19
I have never claimed to be knowledgeable about folk music from the mid-1960s.

Contrary to popular belief, I am not omniscient.

You, otoh, demonstrate your general ignorance with each and every post you make.

Will Dockery

Dec 22, 2019, 4:51:50 PM12/22/19
True, you in fact seem quite ignorant about folk music from that era.

Michelangelo Scarlotti

Dec 22, 2019, 5:27:37 PM12/22/19
Which is why I have never posted in alt.art.folkmusic.

You seem like you might be more knowledgeable about folk music than you are about poetry.

Perhaps you should follow my example,.

General Zod

Dec 22, 2019, 5:30:03 PM12/22/19
You seem to know more about Pat Boone and Tiny Tim.... why not go post in groups about them...?

General Zod

Dec 23, 2019, 5:48:57 PM12/23/19
Odd but interesting...........

Zod The Mighty

Dec 27, 2019, 2:24:23 AM12/27/19
Among so many other things he is ignorant about....

General Zod

Dec 29, 2019, 2:52:26 AM12/29/19
Indeed, a fine one....